Knee Replacement Surgery...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Knee Replacement Surgery...

Post by tamathumper »

Do the exercises, consistently and diligently...

'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
GBKid
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE 25 Year Anniversary Edition

Post by GBKid »

Doing the P.T. is critical to full recovery! I had my double knee replacement surgery on January 21st and I have been doing my P.T. “consistently and diligently” with good results. I am already walking unassisted and I only carry a cane with me as security because I’m not at full muscle strength in the legs. I still have a ways to go, but I’m confident I’ll be hopping on my 1500 by mid-April if my rate of recovery continues as it is.
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

Good work GBKid a double replacement. My right knee will also need to be replaced, my surgeon wouldn't do a double, I wasn't keen on the idea either, but I am committed to the second surgery in December again. I feel pretty strong on my repaired knee, it's actually stronger than the other knee. You're very ambitious saying you'll be riding in April, good for you! Continued good luck on recovery!!

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!
GBKid

Post by GBKid »

Thanks Big Bob! I asked to have both knees done at the same time and I’m glad my Dr. agreed to it because I don’t think I could have mustered up the courage and determination to go through it a second time. Furthermore, my desire and thought to have them both done at the same time was so I didn’t have to have down time more than once. I’m glad I decided to do it in the dead of winter so I could be ready to go by Spring. There’s nothing to do outside anyway except snow removal and my great next door neighbor is taking care of that for me. I can handle the cabin fever with a little help from my friends carting me around until I get the green light to drive again. I would have gone insane wasting the summer away on rehab and recovery.
EagleTodd
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing Titanium
2010 Goldwing Black - Totaled

Post by EagleTodd »

Hey Big Bob,

I had my knee replacement on 10/16/20, so I a little over 3 months ago. I would tell you to do your P.T., but also to know your body. I worked my knee too hard and tore the stitches the muscles inside. Luckily, it wasn't bad enough for the doctor to go back in, but he was thinking about it. Since then, I will give my knee a rest at times. If I feel sore, I let my knee rest for a day.

I am at about 95% of strength now I feel. Pain is gone. Now it is just the stiffness. I continue to walk, go up and down stairs and exercise in the swimming pool. The swimming pool really helps the stiffness especially if the water is warm.

I am ready to get the Goldwing out and go for a test ride. I feel my knee is strong enough to hold the bike up.

Best of luck.
OL_ROAD_DAWG
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A
1993 Electra Glide
2002 Harley Custom 1200
Honda XR 50 pit bike
1984 Honda Aspencade ( In Rehab )

Post by OL_ROAD_DAWG »

Big Bob wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:40 am Well it has been a long time since I have posted anything here. I'm now almost 3 months since surgery, I'm back to work FT, that is going pretty good still not 100% with lifting etc. I wear my compression sock and that seems to keep the swelling down, enough to wear I'm only icing my knee at home in the evening. I admittedly do not do my exercises as much as the PT would like, I still try to do a couple different ones everyday, but that is inconsistent. My thoughts are that here in MN we are getting temperatures in the 40's, I will still probably wait until April (4 months) from surgery b4 I will attempt to move/ride my wing. Any pre riding things I should be aware of, do or anticipate b4 attempting my maiden voyage with bionic knee! Dr. gave me no specific rules or time frame. Any thoughts or helpful hints would be great. My bike wants to be riding, I can tell everytime I walk by it!! Have a great day!!

Bob
Hey Bob
I'm glad you are at least thinking about pulling up to that stop sign. That is what I am most concerned about,the lower speed coming to a stop. I always put that left foot down first.
I have been doing little things to the bike,like oils,etc,and just a good ol looking over, throwing lots of moth balls at her. For some reason we have way more mice than usual this winter. Weather is starting to get better for scooting around. Not to sure about riding alot because we are starting a long time coming new home construction,which will be taking up a lot of riding time. The doctor cut me loose and wants to see me in a year. I have been having a lot of sciatic nerve issues,that's not fun. Good luck on the left knee bionic recovery.
curt
Attachments

You can't leave footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt
and who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time
CaptKen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800A w/ Hennese trike conversion

Post by CaptKen »

Big Bob
What you do is your bussiness. However, be aware that if you chose to wait 4 months without regerious, consists to exercising of that new knee you are in great risk of the knee freezing up with scar tissue that you will not be able to work out In short, that requires going back to the OR table, opening the knee and scraping the scar tissue out of the joint. Otherwise you will have limited motion in your knee at best.
Ken Peterson
Conway, SC 29526
kenpeterson0961@gmail.com
2007 Wing w/Hennessey Trike Conversion
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

CaptKen, trust me I still do SOME of the excersing, and bonus I am at a job that has me on my feet about half of the day. I will not stop the excersing, just have cut back on the quantity of them. I still keep working the range of motion ones in particular, also one legged stands for strengthening. Curt, great to hear from you, sounds like fun with the new house project, my riding time is about half of what it was. We have a cabin in northwestern WI, that takes up half of my time in the summer, there is always something to get done up there. It's my wife's family cabin we are inheriting, I enjoy it but it is my project now, and bonus an extra property in the family to, so currently 2 pieces of property, and 2 more we babysit so if I ride 4k a year that's it, a large part of that is my ride to work. Take care buddy!

Bob
Bob Payette
CaptKen

Post by CaptKen »

Big Bob
Do you have time and access to a gym or fitness center with a leg press? That machine is THE best for strengthening and building range of motion in your knee and thigh/calf muscles within the least amount of time.
Take care and good luck!
Ken Peterson
Conway, SC 29526
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

CaptKen, I do not have access to a leg press..unless I were to join sometime like life time fitness. Funny that we're talking about knee exercises, I just opened my bill from the new calendar year of medical claims. I had 5 PT appointments, $297 each, ins. covered $110, my bill and some diabetes lab work just under $1,100!!🤔😡!! Sad....

Bob
Bob Payette
CaptKen

Post by CaptKen »

Bob,
Sorry, we all are aware of the outrageous medical billing taking place across the country. ‘Nuff said! Deep squats will do almost as well.... just make sure you have a sturdy means if maintaining your balance. I really don’t mean to intrude,but I had to learn this all the hard way due to a serious illness at the beginning of my PT that kept me immobile for about 8 weeks. I just do not want to see anyone else have to suffer like I did to get a useable knee out of the surgery..
Ken
Ken Peterson
Conway, SC 29526
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

Ken, I've been expecting some bills (co-pays) to start 2021. My insurance is okay except for the deductible is high, to keep my rates down. I have a $2500 deductible before the real coverage kicks in. I met it bo problem last year, especially being diabetic, just sayin hi to my dr. and some labs runs me close to $300. A few dr.appt. and so medication, bingo $2,500!! I have a family member who just had a knee replacement, he's having issues with pain and pain medication, he's in a masonic home for probably 2weeks, yuk. Anyways, I appreciate the help and advice, I like the knee bends idea. Take care.

Bob
Bob Payette
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

You have a leg press in the garage.

Put the Goldwing on the center stand, then put a soft strap through the front wheel. Grab it with both hands, straddle the front wheel, bend your knees and lift the front of the bike repeatedly...
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

tamathumper...😂😂😂😂 that would probably work!!

Bob
Bob Payette
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

Like many a retiree, I am on Medicare with Blue Cross Blue Shield as the 2nd insurance and Meds Ins. ( $4.00 per script )

IMO, if the the insurance does not cover all of the balance, then we should NOT be liable for more than the Medicare rate...

e.g., I got a bill for ~$350,
Medicare paid $75
Blue Cross paid about $25
the lab billed me for the entire remaining balance :twisted:

I had a little discussion with them and just flat out said, you have got all you are going to receive, I am on social security and what you want is all I have left for groceries, "goodbye"

none of their business as to what my financial position is, I'm on SSA which is a fact, and that is all I ever let anyone know.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
OL_ROAD_DAWG
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A
1993 Electra Glide
2002 Harley Custom 1200
Honda XR 50 pit bike
1984 Honda Aspencade ( In Rehab )

Post by OL_ROAD_DAWG »

Big Bob wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:05 pm CaptKen, I do not have access to a leg press..unless I were to join sometime like life time fitness. Funny that we're talking about knee exercises, I just opened my bill from the new calendar year of medical claims. I had 5 PT appointments, $297 each, ins. covered $110, my bill and some diabetes lab work just under $1,100!!🤔😡!! Sad....

Bob
Hi Bob
I've been using a dog leash wrapped around my foot and doing that heal slide that really seems to help with the bending of the knee. I have been keeping up with the squats and walking. But that dang sciatic just gives me fits. I don't even want to get started on the insurance stuff. And our sheriffs insurance is pretty good.
You can't leave footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt
and who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time
GBKid

Post by GBKid »

Today it’s been 56 days since my double knee replacement surgery snd I’m happy to report I’m doing very well and very close to being back to resuming ALL activity, including most importantly riding my Wing! My target date goal from the beginning was April 15 and I’m very confident I’ll meet that goal. That’s my normal time to break out the Wing anyway because the roads are usually rained on a few times by then and the salt and sand gets washed off and pothole repair is underway. I know this has been emphasized, but doing the rehab is the key to recovery. The first 3 weeks is the hardest, but bite the leather and work through it because after that it gets easier to do and you’ll recover quicker. Best wishes to everyone still doing rehab and those who are contemplating getting the surgery in the future. I’m glad I did it. Happy Trails!
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

GBKid wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:40 pm Today it’s been 56 days since my double knee replacement surgery snd I’m happy to report I’m doing very well and very close to being back to resuming ALL activity,
Glad to hear you are doing well.

My neighbor's left knee is completely loose, it will swing left/right and forward/back at two inches in any direction. She is scheduled for April 20th.... hope it goes well, she is 65.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
GBKid

Post by GBKid »

Thank you AZgl1800! I hope your neighbor does well with it.
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

GBKid, sounds like you're doing well after your double replacement, IMO that's pretty gutsy. I had asked my dr. about doing a double replacement, he said he wouldn't do it. Doing a double replacement wasn't top on my list also!! My knee is doing fine, still some swelling as I'm icing it right now, I still work 8 hours a day with lifting involved. My surgery was back in December, my goal for first ride is April 1, weather pending! I need to do more exercises again, see if that helps the swelling, mostly around my knee, and recently my foot swells a little more! Continued good luck on recovery!! AZGL1800, good luck to your neighbor and her surgery!!

Bob
Bob Payette
GBKid

Post by GBKid »

Big Bob, I’m glad I did them both and my doctor had no issues with my decision because he thought as I did the down time would be one time instead of twice. The fact you’re putting in 8 hour work days already is impressive. Several people I’ve talked to who have had knee replacement surgery, including my doctor, said it can take up to a year to fully recover where you don’t even think about your knees, but good enough to do just about anything after 3-4 months as long as you do the rehab regularly. My PT also told me it’s okay not to do anything for a day or two between rehab exercises just to let them rest and recover. Good luck and Happy Trails to you too.
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

GBKid, just curious when you did the double replacement, did you do ALL your recovery at home, or spend sometime in a rehab facility? My procedure was outpatient, in at 9am, out at 6:15. That was spooky for me, worse for my wife. Thanks for the supportive words, I think I did alright, yes the 8 hours of work is enough, fortunately part of my day is at a desk!! Keep up the good fight!!

Bob
Bob Payette
GBKid

Post by GBKid »

I started out 3 times a week at a rehab facility that was cut to twice a week and that ended 2 weeks ago. However, I did my own rehab at home even on the days I went to the therapist. I also spent 3 days in the hospital before I was released. Wow, I can’t believe yours was outpatient surgery! That’s seems crazy! I bet it was intimidating for your wife.
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

It was a little scary for her, fortunately the nerve block really kept the pain in check for the first day plus, then the Oxycodone did it's job. I was in regular PT 4 days after surgery. Yes I did my pt at home on days I didn't go to pt, difference being they have exercise machines I don't have, and direction for my recovery. Keep up the good fight, it's supposed to be 60°, I might touch the Goldwing today!!🤔😊

Bob
Bob Payette
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

Yup just as I thought, it got a little warm outside (57°) and I noticed the cover on the Goldwing was starting to fall off, next thing some how the next thing I noticed, the new tabs were on the plates. Well then I had to check the air in the tires, all the fluids, start it and go for a short 50 mile ride. Felt great, no problems moving the bike around, nice first ride of the season, and a little early from my beginning start to ride date.

Bob

Bob Payette