Dogs that chase motorcycles

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
OL_ROAD_DAWG
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A
1993 Electra Glide
2002 Harley Custom 1200
Honda XR 50 pit bike
1984 Honda Aspencade ( In Rehab )

Dogs that chase motorcycles

Post by OL_ROAD_DAWG »

I was just wondering what other bike riders do when that dog comes shooting out the bushes trying to rip your damn leg off. I know, it depends on the surroundings,speed,etc.
Just asking
Attachments

You can't leave footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt
and who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time
mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Re: Dogs that chase motorcycles

Post by mterraci »

I tend to slow down initially (don't want to hit the dog) and then speed up to get away from it.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Yup. There's a known good technique, that when it was explained to me, I realized I had figured out on my own.

If you are riding along, the dog will angle towards you - they are prey animals from long ago, and are very good at doing the calculations required to figure out the correct angle at which to run, so that they will intercept you. If you do nothing, the dog WILL get you.

So the trick is to slow down. This causes the dog to alter (steepen) his approach angle to maintain the intercept. Downshift as you slow. Once the dog gets 10-15 feet away, accelerate hard. He will not be able to keep up, and no longer has enough space to the side in which to alter his angle again to catch you.
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

#1, never ever raise your legs, dogs go after movement. If you're stationary then you have a problem. Hopefully you left yourself "An out".

I've had many-a-dog come at me since I ride mostly back roads. It's the bike they're after not me & every single one went after the front tire.
If I'm at a position disadvantage I'll have to slow down to not run the pooch over. Almost always it backs down then moves to the bikes side a few feet away. That's my Q to speed up.
Now... LIONS & TIGERS & BEARS :shock: are a different story. 8-)
.. ..
OH!!! Speaking of lions. 1.5 years ago I seen a lion/cougar jumping a creek in south Wisconsin S.E. of Burlington. Posted it on Facebook & oddly no one commented. Then last year a lady reported to the news with photo in Gurnee ILL., a lion on her patio chair.
This past year+ suddenly folks around Bristol Wi. (25 mile radius) missing a lot of pets. :|

Earlier this year, again in S. Wi. about a mile north of Rt-50, I seen 2 Hyenas crossing the road about 350 yards in front of me :o . Now I watch animal Planet, I know animal differences. So I stopped and watched them watching me at about 500 ft off in a corn field. As I slowly moved to get my binoc's, they took off FAST!

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Just be thankful you don't live in India...

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

WingAdmin wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:06 pm Just be thankful you don't live in India...
LOL (video). . . CLOSE ONE!
But I think he was just going for the front tire.
:D
OL_ROAD_DAWG
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A
1993 Electra Glide
2002 Harley Custom 1200
Honda XR 50 pit bike
1984 Honda Aspencade ( In Rehab )

Post by OL_ROAD_DAWG »

My first initial reaction is Oh Crap,slow down,swerve,kick then speed up. The one instance I'm remembering is just that without the speeding up part because of a stop sign. That dog was right at my boot when I crossed the intersection. Now I just do the best I can in a situation. Those Border Collies are pretty dang fast. It's kinda funny we have a Mcnab/ Border Collie and every time I go to start my bike she starts biting at the front wheel,but when I start rolling she just stops then goes back about her business.
Attachments

You can't leave footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt
and who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

So far, I have only hit one dog in my riding life, and it was mine.
a German Shepard that spotted a rabbit on the opposite side of the bike I was riding, he beelined for that rabbit and forgot about me, hit my front wheel hard from the right side, and the bike did an instant Endo....

my head landed in a Texas Cattle Guard upside down.

the doctor chewed on my ass for an hour while he removed gravel pieces out of my scalp.
that was in the days before I wore helmets, 1971 on a dirt bike.

bought a helmet right away, and have not ride w/o a helmet since.

here is an example of a helmet and good ATGATT taking care of me back in Jan 2008

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

Haven't had a recent dog attack, perhaps due to local leash laws.
But in my youth, riding suburban and rural roadways, dogs were common. As noted, they seem fascinated by the front wheel (spokes, and light reflections ??). Occasionally, if I couldn't speed up, and the dog was close by and focused on the front wheel, I'd reach out with my foot and just gently tap his hind quarters with a sideways push. Now, a dog running at top speed cannot handle a sideways thrust (even a gentle one), and they would roll over dramatically. They would roll away from the bike, for safety. And they never seemed to be injured, just shaken up and immediately lose interested in the chase. Hopefully they would remember the experience for a while.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

There's a surly looking idiot that walks his dog thru my 'hood to get to an open area. Some GSD/mongrel that he doesn't have good control of, it appears to me.

As they're walking on the one side of the streets that has a sidewalk, the owner seems to get his kicks on watching what the dog does as I'm approaching on the bike.

Fortunately, the dog is leashed each time I've seen the two of them, so no harm done. First couple of times, it startles me, but now, I know it'll happen.

:roll:
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

kwthom
I have a few here like that. What I see is one owner is training their dog for obedience. Another seems to get his kicks out of his Pit's excitement, he seems to egg him on.
JUST being honest here, all these (dark) walkers I'm mentioning isn't of this neighborhood. I've followed each out of concern & one has his SUV parked a few blocks away. Was he kicked out of his 'Hood'? Dunno but it is unnerving.
OH, adding... Since these new dogs are around here the past couple years, there's less regular walkers than before. Afraid? :shock:

Earl43P
Motorcycle: 04 ST1300 DD
99 Valkyrie IS
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
82 GL1100 SOLD 3/3/17

Post by Earl43P »

I had a recurring issue with my (down the street) neighbor's dachshund running out of their front yard after me riding my bicycle until I squirted her. Once.
Amazing how fast they run off after being hit in the face with diluted ammonia (use a full water bottle with a hole drilled in the cap).

I used the same solution to cure my next door neighbor's aggressive pit/Preso mix from tormenting my dogs through our common fence.
Supersoaker loaded with diluted ammonia, sprayed over top the fence kept him at bay. That taught him to stay in the far side of his own yard when I'm out there, well out of spray reach.
Later, I began systematically rewarding him with milk bones when he'd lurk at the fence, but not bark. He liked me.

My Aunt's Rottie liked to jump up and front paw your chest/shoulders...until I stepped hard on her rear paw. It took two stomps in one visit, but she doesn't jump up on me to this day - years later.
Sweet dog otherwise, just wants to be a big lap lump.
When all else fails, RTFM!

04 ST1300 Bought 3/4/17, Daily Driver sort of
99 Valkyrie Interstate, “Favorite”
82 GL1100 Sold 3/3/17 (miss that ticket getter)
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

Hmm....Bikes and Dogs....
I had one memorable encounter waaay back in 1970.
I was riding my new Honda CB350 with crash bars down a local street near my house.
A big Collie dog (think Lassie, 90 pounds or so) came charging out from between
two parked cars. He missed and I thought nothing more of it.
A while later, returning home, I came up the same side street. This time the Collie's aim
was much better! He came charging straight at the right side of the bike. I was doing about
30 mph. How he missed the crash bars, I don't know, but he missed them and front of my
right shin hit the Collie on the left side of that big open mouth full of big teeth!! The impact
on the side of his face made him do a snap roll, just like a stunt airplane! I still remember
seeing his feet go by above my head height! He landed in the road, hopped up and took
off into the backyard of the nearest house howling like hell! I could clearly hear his howling
over the engine of the bike as he left at high speed!
I don't know what the outcome was, but I guarantee you that he never chased another
motorcycle again!!
Had he been half a second faster, the crash bar would have gotten him in the side of his
face instead of my leg and I doubt that he would have survived. At 30 mph, it likely would
have fractured his skull.
Let me tell ya, he left the imprint of all those big teeth in the front of my shin!
My leg hurt for a week!
In 50 years of motorcycling, that was my only encounter with a dog, and one I'll
never forget!!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

offcenter wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:52 am Hmm....Bikes and Dogs....
... In 50 years of motorcycling, that was my only encounter with a dog, and one I'll never forget!!
That Lassie was smart, lemons to lemon-aid.
He opened a Dog Training school to teach all other dogs to not chase 'your' bike. :P
rdurost
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Post by rdurost »

FM-USA wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:58 pm #1, never ever raise your legs, dogs go after movement. If you're stationary then you have a problem. Hopefully you left yourself "An out".

I've had many-a-dog come at me since I ride mostly back roads. It's the bike they're after not me & every single one went after the front tire.
If I'm at a position disadvantage I'll have to slow down to not run the pooch over. Almost always it backs down then moves to the bikes side a few feet away. That's my Q to speed up.
.. ..
OH!!! Speaking of lions. 1.5 years ago I seen a lion/cougar jumping a creek in south Wisconsin S.E. of Burlington. Posted it on Facebook & oddly no one commented. Then last year a lady reported to the news with photo in Gurnee ILL., a lion on her patio chair.
This past year+ suddenly folks around Bristol Wi. (25 mile radius) missing a lot of pets. :|

Earlier this year, again in S. Wi. about a mile north of Rt-50, I seen 2 Hyenas crossing the road about 350 yards in front of me :o . Now I watch animal Planet, I know animal differences. So I stopped and watched them watching me at about 500 ft off in a corn field. As I slowly moved to get my binoc's, they took off FAST!

Seriously? You seen a lion? You might have seen a Mountain Lion, AKA a Cougar. There are NO African lions in the USA. There are also NO hyenas of any kind, nor anything that looks remotely like a Hyena. What we do have is Coyotes. If you're seeing African animals in Wisconsin, you need to seek out psychological evaluation before you get fitted up with the canvas vest with the optional extra-long sleeves.
rdurost

Post by rdurost »

Mine may be a minority opinion, but with normal dogs, my knowledge of big dogs tells me that if you brake sharply and put yourself in their space, they will defer to the Alpha Male. Dogs like Pit Bulls with jaws that can bite a 2x4 in half are a whole other matter. It's the difference between leaving a loaded .22 caliber pistol on your dining table for your 3-year-old vs. a .44 Magnum. The owner is an idiot in either case. The Pit might be having a bad day, but his "caliber" makes him inherently more dangerous. One motivated snap could cause you to face a lawsuit from somebody who lost a foot.

I love dogs, and all of the Pit Bulls I have met have been sweet animals who loved having their ears rubbed just like any Lab, but that breed needs to die out. They were bred as fighting dogs, and they have capabilities that, as I said, may get you sued out of your very last dime, and/or in Prison for a Long Time.
rdurost

Post by rdurost »

Oh, and a helmet, especially a full-face helmet, when grabbed by the chin strap, will knock any normal dog clean out. I that doesn't do it, they shouldn't be allowed among human beings, period.
Ralf_CT
Motorcycle: 2014 Honda PCX150. Owned an '81 400 Hawk, '81 Silver Wing Interstate, '81 Gold Wing GL1100 Interstate from '90-'91, stopped riding in 1994, back in saddle since 2014. Keen to get a GL1500 or GL1800.

Post by Ralf_CT »

Years ago a small dog got me on my bicycle, his teeth got caught in my sock, he swung around a few times, and flew off. Only had a few encounters on bikes, usually slow down and then speed up.
Ex GL1100 Interstate rider. Aspiring GL1500/1800 rider.
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

rdurost wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:43 am
FM-USA wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:58 pm #1, never ever raise your legs, dogs go after movement. If you're stationary then you have a problem. Hopefully you left yourself "An out".

.. ..

Seriously? You seen a lion? You might have seen a Mountain Lion, AKA a Cougar. There are NO African lions in the USA. There are also NO hyenas of any kind, nor anything that looks remotely like a Hyena. What we do have is Coyotes. If you're seeing African animals in Wisconsin, you need to seek out psychological evaluation before you get fitted up with the canvas vest with the optional extra-long sleeves.
I noticed you posted at: "Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:43 am". Safe to say your ignorance is magnified by alc..
You had just enough consciousness to post my post in yours so you had to read I did say "cougar", TWICE.

Long sleeve jacket, you say. OK, since that passed the 'Admin'... you opened that book. You need a few AA meetings.

FYI & others here who question such oddities. Wisconsin folks keep exotic animals that's not indigenous to North America. So far I've seen on different Wi. farms, Camels, Elephant, Zebra & several Ostriches. Then last year running free Hyenas.

DOCNICHOLS
Motorcycle: 2010 gl1800

Post by DOCNICHOLS »

A few years ago I was a block away from my house on my GL only wearing shorts and a tee shirt (I know,
don't get onto me , that's another story.) The neighbor lady's Yorkie came charging across her yard into the
street to get me. I didn't want to hit him so I stopped and put my leg down. BIG MISTAKE! He sunk his whole mouthful of teeth into my bare ankle. Looking down at this 10 pound furball of viscous terror I realized I couldn't shake him off because that was the leg I was holding up my thousand pound bike with. I then turned off the ignition and he let go when the motor noise stopped. He turned and went back to his yard so I started the engine to go home but he spun around to come back for round two. I shut it down again while his owner came running across the yard with a horrified look on her face. She's a nice lady so I was polite to her and remarkably calm considering my leg had an impressive amount of blood flow by now. I told her to hold him until I could take off because he didn't like the motor noise. WEAR PANTS AND WATCH OUT FOR YORKIES!
RLac
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by RLac »

Pour l'avoir essayé, la bonne technique est de ralentir, vous dirigez vers le chien (ou l'animal - lui faire face) et au dernier moment accélérer tout en contre braquant rapidement pour revenir dans le centre de votre voie (et non dans le centre de la rue). Le chien en sera plus que surpris.

To have tried it, the good technique is to slow down, you go towards the dog (or the animal - to face him) and at the last moment, accelerate by counter-steering quickly to return to the center of your lane (and not the center of the street). The dog will be surprised.

René Lacourse - Goldwing 2003

https://amtlarochelle.com/
TourNut
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE , 2007 ST1300 , '05 Shadow Aero 750

Post by TourNut »

I have hit 2 medium/large dogs while on a MC. :
First one was a dog that always chased / intercepted my '81 Honda XL-500 a few times , This time then I had changed to a '84 BMW R80 GS that sounded similar - exhaust sound . At 30 mph , I raised my size 13 boot up at an angle so he wouldn't try to bite my leg as usual , but then he got surprised when the BMW twin's stuck out cylinder jug smacked him in the face & rolled him into a ditch ! He survived but never chased me again !

A few years later a second dog was just sitting next to a mail box . I thought it would just remain there but it waited till I was about 10 feet away & THEN decided to cross the road in front of my front wheel ! I only had time to stiffen up my arms & steering as I hit it at about 40 , in the rear haunches & spun it around . At that time I was on a '81 Honda SilverWing - I thought it had bent my forks at that speed , but no , the SilverWing was tough , no damage . Dog also survived - I saw it a month later but I also never saw it near the road again.
Wildwilly018
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Interesting posts. Enjoyed them. Even the tiger lol. Have never hit an animal other then a bird taking out my windshield back in the 80's on my 74 550/4 Honda. Been chased by dogs before but they never caught up. Yrs ago my brother hit a groundhog and a skunk with his GL1800. The skunk made an obvious mess of the undercarriage.
echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (Sold), 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1981 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400, 2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Post by echinus1988 »

The only dog problem I have had was in west Texas in the late 70s. A dog ran out from the side of the road trying to get across. I hit him though I tried hard to stop. He just tumbled, got up and ran off.

Don’t recall ever being chased.

Ride Safe!
mikwilfly12
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A, 1990 GL1500SE, 1981 GL1100 Interstate, CB750K2, CBR929, RC51, (8) GL1000's (1975/76's), CBX (1979 the first one in USA), too many more to list

Post by mikwilfly12 »

Luckily I missed all the dogs so far, but hit a rabbit in 1972 on my new CB750K2. No damage whatsoever to the Honda but the front tire cut the rabbit half in two at about 70 mph. Then years later maybe 2010 I hit a buzzard with the left front of the fairing and my left shoulder. I was on the brakes hard and was coming down fast from 125 mph. Impact was about 75 which I saw as I closed my eyes bracing for impact on the digital speedometer. The buzzard exploded and all that was inside him was now all over me and my Honda RC51. Yuk, what a mess but other than a sore shoulder for a few days and a LOT of cleaning all was well. When I saw the bird setting in the middle of my lane facing away from me I attempted to simply go around it in the left lane, but just before I got to it, it took flight and when about 3-4 feet off the ground it made a hard left, hand turn right in front of me and I was out of options so bang.....guts and black feathers everywhere. Now I have modified large horns on all my motorsicles and I stand on the horn when I approach buzzards. They seemed to getting braver with time so I slow down and honk honk honk.
Oh BTW they are heavy and at 75 mph I was lucky it didn't knock me off the bike.
I sold the RC51 after that as @ 76 I need to start acting my age.
Attachments