First long trip necessities?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Northern wing
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

First long trip necessities?

Post by Northern wing »

Hey folks. I'm planning my first long trip on my 1983 Wing and just wondering what seasoned veterans would suggest as necessities to take or have along for the ride. This has been a dream of mine since high school in the mid eighties. Took over 30yrs to get my dream bike and since I've had it, I've only done some short day trips. Is there any must haves for a 2 week long trip of a couple thousand km's? Bike is ready to go, just myself and gear that I would like ideas on. Thanks

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Re: First long trip necessities?

Post by blupupher »

Congrats. While I am by no means an expert, I always have a flat repair kit, air compressor, extra oil, basic tool set, a few bottles of water (used for drinking, cleaning, or even for radiator), zip ties, electrical tape, duct tape, extra fuses, and a basic first aid kit (mostly stuff for me like ibuprophen, eye drops, and bandaids).
I know wingadmin has a video of what he always carries on his bike.
edit:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

I have a small tool bag with a lot of stuff crammed in it, the most important of which has turned out to be hex head wrenches, duct tape, and zip ties, along with a Leatherman tool and a tire plug kit, most of which was to fix Harleys on the side of the road. Spare fuses, which didn't help, but I used a lot of, and a lithium jump pack. A half cover, a siphon kit just in case I run out of gas, a first aid kit, and a Slime brand tire pump. Soft ties just in case the bike has to be towed, and a few bungie cords and Rok-Straps. Last but not least, an assortment of credit cards.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Certainly the above mentioned items should be considered but really,,,,, a credit card and wonderlust. Let the adventure begin!
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

Sassy wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:08 am Certainly the above mentioned items should be considered but really,,,,, a credit card and wonderlust. Let the adventure begin!
Fred
As well as some cash. I always have $100 on me on the bike, and if doing long distance, at least double that.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Do all the maintenance work you can before you go. If you say to yourself it can wait until I get back, do it before. It's these items that tend to haunt you before you get back. A good roadside assistance package and VISA. Enjoy the trip.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

Cash. I always carry a good supply of it.
And I divide it up so I can't lose all of it at once.
I keep some in my pocket, a bit more in the trunk where it's readily accessible, and
the bulk of it will be hidden somewhere else on the bike.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

all good tips.

I have 'food issues';
when I need a snack, I pretty much need it now.... not diabetic, but I get awful woozy after the Semi truck hit me on the head.

So, I keep Beanie Weanies, Potted Meat, Cheese Crackers, Peanut Butter Crackers...
and lots of bottled water in an ice chest that rides on a rack on the bike's trailer hitch,
or it sits on the front of the trailer in my Avatar.

well, it used to, I gave the 1800 to my son yesterday, so he can enjoy it for many years to come.

now, I ride a Piaggio MP3 scooter which has enough storage under the seats, so I can carry the above mentioned items.

the money issues have been covered, I use AMEX when away from home.
I got bit hard the last time I used my Debit card 5 states away from home, within 12 hours, it was presented "over the counter" in Knoxville, TN; in San Diego, CA; and in NY state somewhere.

the downside, was the card was canceled immediately, the funds were refused, but I was without plastic for 10 days.

After that, I opened a 2nd checking account, and only keep 100-150 bux in it, for travel uses, IF, the AMEX is not used instead.... some places won't take AMEX but they will take a Debit card.

Cash? I keep $200 but rarely use it much, it is for places that won't take plastic.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
Northern wing

Post by Northern wing »

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, some of it I never would have thought of. I've started getting some stuff together and will continue to for the next couple of days. Hope to head out soon. We almost had frost yesterday morning so bike season is winding down. Got to get going before I can't. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good pics to post. Thanks again.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

You'll learn more as you do this motorcycle touring stuff.

Search micapeak.com for a 'credit card camping' checklist.

Have fun!
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

I carry a few extra tools, 10 & 12 mm, Allen wrench sockets, ratchet and extensions, duct tape, small medical kit, sunscreen, cash, cards, a few extra rags, windshield cleaner, rain suits, gloves, and a jacket. Do your maintenance on the bike, and you won't ever need some of the bigger items. And never go without tow insurance, and the Gold book.

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:59 pm I got bit hard the last time I used my Debit card 5 states away from home, within 12 hours, it was presented "over the counter" in Knoxville, TN; in San Diego, CA; and in NY state somewhere.
I'm currently on a trip, in Michigan right now, Carrying $300 cash, only used $2 of it for ice at the campground.

I use Visa Credit card (easier to contest charges on Credit card) during entire trip, have the Debit card, too, if necessary. Also sticking to one card makes easier to look at total trip cost after getting back home... :)
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

There are certainly a lot of ways to accomplish long distance motorcycle touring. Some ways work for some riders (or, their passengers).

I've done a fair share of touring, but certainly not like some people here and elsewhere. It mainly does come down to finances - how much money per day do you want to spend on this trip?

A couple thousand km (~1200 miles) over two weeks...depending on where you're headed, it simply might not take all that much time for the 'physical riding the motorcycle' part of this trip.

That's certainly not to discount the sightseeing or visiting a rider might do in various locations along any given route from A to B and back to A.

One of the things a newbie touring rider might want to put the effort into is lodging choices. You can spend the night in some pretty rustic places, and you can spend it in some pretty fancy places.

Fifteen km/liter for fuel economy over 2000 km is (roughly) $200 (Cdn). There's a guess at fuel costs.

Lodging? I have no idea.

Food? While traveling, I do eat a bit differently than at home - light 'meals' for breakfast & lunch, but when off the bike a bit better dinner in most cases.

Don't know that I'd obsess over this, but it's good practice for when you're on a fixed retirement income. :lol:

Let us know what worked, and what didn't on your ride report!
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
Northern wing

Post by Northern wing »

Thanks everyone for all your input. I just came back from my 12 day trip and am glad to report that it was amazing. First day was 14hrs in the saddle with fuel stops about every 250kms. I got rained on about 5-6 times and did not get wet at all. I figured my gloves and feet would get soaked but they stayed completely dry. I was surprised at the number of feet positions I found and was seriously less tired then if I took my car. Only my right hand and elbow were hurting even though I have a cramp buster attachment on the throttle. I saw 4 deer, one black bear, 4 trumpeter swans and a coyote or two. Amazingly all the wildlife was spotted in Alberta, none in B.C. Not sure what's up with that as most of my 4000kms were in B.C. I averaged 52mpg with 42mpg being the worst and 72mpg being the best tank full. The old bike ran fantastic and had absolutely no issues. I found I used about a litre of oil per 1000kms. Is that normal? Saw no blue smoke out the exhaust etc and the bike has no leaks but it would need a top up every now and then. I was able to go to Whistler B.C. with my son on his KLR 650 where the 2010 Winter Olympics were held. Beautiful scenery and other then constant traffic jams in the Vancouver area it was a great week spent in B.C. Since my son now lives in Chilliwack, it will give me more excuses to do this trip more often. I'll try and figure out how to post some pics as my son no longer lives at home to tell me how. Lol
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Northern wing wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:23 pm I found I used about a litre of oil per 1000kms. Is that normal? Saw no blue smoke out the exhaust etc and the bike has no leaks but it would need a top up every now and then.
I wouldn't call it abnormal, as long as it isn't leaking or smoking I wouldn't worry much about it. My '80 1100 will use a quart in 1000 miles (1600km) so this is probably typical of the 4cyl wings.

Deb and I just got back from our Michigan trip last week Fri (3rd), 75% of the travel was on the Interstate Hwy, cruise control on the 1500 set to 80 mph (130 kph). We traveled at 70 mph (113 kph) on two lane roads the first half of the return trip, once we reached the state of Kansas Deb wanted to make time so we got back on the Interstate hwy again and blasted thru Kansas and Colorado to get home.

This 14 day trip, we spent 8 days driving and 6 days in Michigan. We had intended to only be 4 days in Michigan and then drive 500 miles south to join the guys in Wise VA for the last day of the GoldwingDocs 5th gathering, but decided to cancel that and spend extra days with Dad. He's 95, his health is failing, has dementia. This is likely to be the last time I will see him alive...... :cry: Time Well spent! I can do the Gathering another year.

The 1500 pulling fully-loaded camper trailer performed as expected, the only thing I had to do to it on the entire trip was add fuel.

We logged 2801 miles, used 104.7 gallons of fuel, average MPG for entire trip was 26.73. Not too shabby considering the load, the speed, and pushing a Tulsa Tall windshield. Averaged 24.24 MPG on the interstate, 32.6 MPG on the 2 lane roads, 34.01 was the best per-tank fuel economy, and one tank at only 21.2MPG. That was at 80MPH fighting bad cross-winds in Nebraska.

Spent $327.70 on 104.7 gallons, this averages to $3.13 per gallon. Highest price was $3.58 in Flagler CO, lowest was $2.74 in Sullivan MO. Colorado fuel seems to be 30-40 cents higher than the rest of the country, this is unusual, Colorado is typically lower fuel prices than many states.

I can't tell that the 1500 used ANY oil at all, dipstick still reads at the FULL mark....

Glad to hear your trip was a success!
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
Rednaxs60
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Glad you had a great trip. Time with your son is priceless.

Oil consumption, if you're happy with how the engine operated, enjoy the ride. Only way to change this is to rebuild the engine, new rings. These are very robust engines and can go for a long time without any major surgery. Good winter project, BTDT. I'd leave alone unless you're an adventurous sort and want to do something - notice I didn't say need. Fuel economy looks great.

Cheers

Ernest
Northern wing

Post by Northern wing »

Thanks Guys for the replies. I'm definitely not going to tear into the engine as there are way to many projects to finish before working on a bike that doesn't really need it. As I said, the bike performed flawlessly but I did have a question regarding sounds in the engine, especially when it's cold. The only way I can describe it,, is that it sounds like a bunch of marbles rattling around inside. As the engine reaches operating temp, most of the noise goes away. Any ideas? Maybe I'll try to get a video.
Rednaxs60
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Could be a few issues; however, if the engine works well and you are okay with this, monitor the situation. As long as the issue stays the same, enjoy your ride. Consistency is the name of the game with an older vehicle regardless of make/model. It's when the issue being monitored changes that you need to be concerned. Even with a change, recommend monitoring to determine if it was a one time change. If it continues to change then you need to investigate further. Had this issue with an aftermarket voltmeter on a V-Strom I owned. Voltage showing was always 14.6 VDC with 14.2 VDC at the battery with a multimeter. As long as it stayed consistent, no worries.

Cheers

Ernest
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

Just read your trip report, reads like you had a great time!
Did you ride 99, Duffy's hwy beautiful area?
If you ever want to spend some time south of #1 hwy in the Kootenays be sure to post up. Best area I've ridden in Canada be happy to share some favorite routes.
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
Northern wing

Post by Northern wing »

Yes, after arriving at Chilliwack via the Coquihalla, my son and I went to Whistler on 99. I was actually quite disappointed as it was bumper to bumper walking speed traffic most of the way there and back. It was beautiful scenery but very slow. Anytime we travelled around Vancouver it was traffic jams. I found highway 3 across the bottom of BC to be the best and most beautiful on the bike.
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

Go on google connect Creston, Kootenay Lake ferry, Kaslo, Nacusp, Needles Ferry, Monashee Pass, Vernon, down 97 to 3a(will be traffic here!) to Keremeos on hwy 3. Other than the traffic on 97 for a hour ish it is a great alternative but will add several hours of riding. Imo on some of the best roads you'll find!
Fred
Ps
If it was a 2 day trip I would turn at Vernon to Kamloops and the Frazier Canyon on hwy 1 and drive into Chiliwack on 7.
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr »

Northern wing wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:23 pm. I found I used about a litre of oil per 1000kms. Is that normal?
I would double check that you are not overfilling the oil. Perhaps the motor is 'pushing out' oil to get it's level back to normal and then you are adding more back in. ?? Just a thought. I agree that if it seems to be running well, no need to tear into it. But that does seem to be higher consumption than normal. Neither of my GL1000's use any.

Ron in AZ

PS. Sorry if this has been asked before, but what weight oil are you using?
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:
autonoob
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by autonoob »

Cash is one of the most important things. Bring some tools as well in case you encounter a mechanical problem during the road trip. Have fun! 8-)
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

autonoob wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:52 pm Cash is one of the most important things. Bring some tools as well in case you encounter a mechanical problem during the road trip. Have fun! 8-)
Cash? Only to a point...the pandemic has really curtailed the use of cash in *some* circumstances.

Tools are only worth the space if you know how to use them sufficiently.

Short Story Time

I pulled onto the drive that leads to the Flight 93 Memorial earlier this year. A few miles to the east, I passed a ubiquitous Harley rider, and he soon joined in behind me.

We took that ride into the Memorial at the speed limit, kinda lost in thought looking at the surroundings and thinking of those heroes who did what they did that day.

I pull into the parking lot, the Harley guy pulls in beside me. His shift linkage managed to come loose on that ride, so his heel-toe shifter is wobbling freely.

As I'm waiting, he's rooting around in his panniers, looking for tools. Well, he had a small kit, but it only had Torx head bits. Obviously, not going to have much luck removing the socket head screw with those bits. :rolleyes:

I go into my "oh ****" side bag (left) where I'd pulled out my tool bag. In it, I have this small socket set I'd bought years ago from Costco. That went into the tool bag as a last-second addition.

About ten minutes later...yeah, this guy and tools...he had it buttoned up. So, I tell him he'd better consider a bit of loc-tite on that bolt as soon as he could get that done...

Yeah, the Loc-Tite I had was buried a bit further in the bag, but I wasn't telling him that. My good karma towards motorcyclists that day had been used up.
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

kwthom wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:05 am I pull into the parking lot, the Harley guy pulls in beside me. His shift linkage managed to come loose on that ride, so his heel-toe shifter is wobbling freely.
About ten minutes later...yeah, this guy and tools...he had it buttoned up. So, I tell him he'd better consider a bit of loc-tite on that bolt as soon as he could get that done...
I know that guy, I fixed the same shifter with my tool bag two years ago! :D

'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2