Quitting motorcycles?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Quitting motorcycles?

Post by WingAdmin »

This is a video I've thought about making for a year or so now. What are your thoughts?

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: Quitting motorcycles?

Post by DarthJ »

It's understandable. Scott, the only one who can make that decision is you. I will say though, that in my opinion, when riding is no longer fun, there are really only 2 things you can do. 1, find a way to make it fun again; or 2, hang it up, wither for a while, or if you feel it's time, permanently. As long as there have been cars, people drive like idiots and before that, people drove wagons and rode horses like idiots.

If you do decide to stop riding, this site is your labor of love to the GoldWing community. Just because you wouldn't be riding anymore doesn't mean your knowledge and advice suddenly go away. Those of us who have joined this not so little community of one of the best if not the best motorcycle models out there would want you to stay and dispense wisdom, advice, and assistance with repairs, suggestions, etc.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Yes, I feel your pain Scott. I have been feeling it is time for me to hang it up also. I have been riding motorcycles for about 48 years now, both dirt bikes and street bikes. Like you, I don't feel the fun anymore. I guess one of the main reasons the fun is gone is that my best friend and riding buddy passed away due to health issues and I miss him a lot. My son is a rider also but he lives about 1000 miles from me so we can't go riding together either. It's just not fun anymore. I have put maybe 500 miles on my Goldwing last year. Another issue is my wife is not able to get around anymore and has to be in the bed most of the time so I can't be gone very long at a time anyway.
I love my 2000 GL1500SE and would hate to part with it but I think it may be time. 😢
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

I'm actually surprised at the comments on this video.

First off, this video is by FAR the most popular video I've ever posted on the GWD YouTube channel. In just over 4 hours since it was posted, it's had over 1,000 views.

It's also received the largest number of comments - 80 and counting.

What I find interesting are the VERY large number of comments saying something along the lines of, "yeah, I've been thinking of quitting as well for the same reason after 30 years of riding."

In any case, there is one other thing that I didn't mention in my video that perhaps I should have: For many, many years, my wife and I have ridden together - I taught her to ride, and she progressed through a few different motorcycles as her skills improved.

Two years ago she had a couple of incidents that scared her and made her really question her confidence in riding. As a teenager, she had always wanted to ride a motorcycle, and it remained a dream of hers into adulthood. I helped her achieve that dream by teaching and mentoring her, and she spent many years riding and loving it. But she decided that she had fulfilled that dream and wanted to move on - so we sold her bike.

We've gone on the occasional ride together with her riding on the back of my Goldwing, but it's definitely not the same.
Kratos14
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by Kratos14 »

I hear ya, but I have a different story. Now where I live in Nova Scotia Canada there is a lot less traffic, but you only need idiot to ruin your day and we got em to.
I stopped driving 20 years ago then this year passed I got a 1995 Goldwing Aspencade off a friend of mine who moved to the Can-Am Spyder. He did it because his legs aren't what they used to be, but he still likes driving. Now I'm 58 years old and that's a lot of bike to start again with. The last bike I had was a 600 Yamaha Radian. Now being a truck driver I know what you mean, a lot of cars I look at have a person on the cell phone. Yes that is a big fine here, but people still do it.
I remember the motorcycle course I took and the guy told me you never assume anyone can see you at any time, so that's a given. My wife and I go for a lot of drives in the country and we're just careful and enjoy it. I've driven through Ohio in my tractor trailer and there are lots of places I'm sure where the traffic is a lot less as you know, but even without the phone I still drive like no one sees me so I'm ready for anything, or at least they give myself a chance. But you're right just like a pedestrian walking across the street is going to lose against the car, a bike is going to lose against the truck or car. If you can't find enjoyment in it anymore and that's a deal breaker for you then only you can answer that question. In the meantime keep the defensive driving hat on, give yourself a chance and try to enjoy it.
Love all your episodes, learning lots, thanks for everything you teach Scott.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have not watched it yet.

On the last NASR ride that I went to, I almost rode off the road into a ravine.
I was too hot, and my brain quit thinking properly.

at 78, I have ridden almost as much as I want to, but actually, the desire to ride is not there anymore for me.

that ride was in June, 3 months later in August, I gave my 1800 to my son who is 50 now, he can enjoy it for a long time, safely.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
Dave J
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100 I 98 Yamaha 650, 2004 Yamaha 1100 Silverado

Post by Dave J »

Scott I do understand and the decision should be yours. I am 74 and still riding. How ever this may not be for everyone. No matter what you deicide thanks for making and maintaining this great web site and the best of luck to you.
oldcase
Motorcycle: 1979 gl 1000
1997 GL 1500 SE
1980 Suzuki 750

Post by oldcase »

Scott, I understand the feeling. I rode atvs and bikes on the farm more than thirty years ago. I quit riding bikes 20+ years ago when our daughter was born. A few years back I got the bike of my dreams, a GL1500. It has been a joy. Unlike you, our local towns don't have stoplights and even few stop signs. Traffic doesn't exist when I choose to ride. Last summer I went on a twenty mile ride and only saw one pickup, one farm sprayer, and one deer. None were on the phone or texting. But I am concerned, I am older, I have physical impairments, and I question my abilities as well as the attentiveness of others on the road. There are also lots of animals. I ride very little, and then only in the middle of the day, from October through March because of deer and other animals (and weather). My answer, I will probably ride less, ask someone to buy me a guardian bell and ride when I feel like it. And when I quit, I will keep the GL 1500, just like I kept my GL 1000 and my old Porsche 914s. Some collect photos, I collect mementos--and memories.
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

Hi Scott. I feel your pain. Here in Ontario, and you are well acquainted with this province, the cell phone use in cars is almost as bad as it is in Ohio. At least in the south it is. For the last two years, during the pandemic I have been circumnavigating Lake Nippissing, which is about 300 kms, so good for a one day ride. I have stacked up about 10,000 kms doing this each year and still have to drive defensively at all times. It is still fun, but my health situation has become severe and I will soon be packing it in. I lost 50 pounds in April through June of 2021 and lost the strength to hold up my Goldwing in just about any breeze or brisk wind, and it does not appear that I will get that strength back. I had to quit riding in June, so I lost half my year, but still had to pay the insurance. My new insurance contract arrived in the mail and it was $1500.00 for the year. I cancelled it. In the spring I suspect I will be putting the bike up for sale. Riding has been my life and I am sure gonna miss it. I had 58 years and just over 850,000 miles. I had wished to hit the million mile mark but I guess that "ain't a gonna happen". Whatever you decide to do as far as the GoldwingDocs site is concerned, you still have all the knowledge to run it and I would hope you would consider that route. I hope the fun of the site does not go away with the possibility of giving up riding. I love ya, brother from another mother.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Viking, I have to say that I *do* see occasional phone use in Ontario, but crossing the border it is a NOTICEABLE change. Like night and day. Like I said, down here it's not often you see someone WITHOUT a phone in their hand.

The other thing I thought of a little while ago that I should have included as well is the extremely high incidence of drunk driving here in Ohio. Drunk drivers are given a slap on the hand and released within hours of their arrest. This leads to unlicensed drivers with multiple suspensions and multiple DUI/OVI convictions, which does absolutely from stopping them from continuing to drive drunk.

The daily "police blotter" in the local newspaper is at least half filled with drunk drivers. Every day. Many have multiple DUI/OVI convictions. I have encountered them on the roads, many times. You take your life in your hands if you are out on the roads after 9 or 10 pm here, particularly on a weekend.
DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ »

I started on a scooter back in 93, got the bug, but couldn't afford to keep it and a car. Fast forward to 2011, stationed in TX, lost my wife of just shy of 15 years. Made me realize that life is too short so got back into it. Got my 93 1500 (seems like an omen, huh?) In 2015 and have ridden it since. If the day comes when it's not fun anymore, then I may hang it up. Driving a car doesn't have to be fun, but riding sure does.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.
M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Post by M61A1MECH »

I had to make that decision last year, after not riding more than 2000 miles the previous year, in 2021 I found my skills had degraded, my enthusiasm had waned and my wife who at one time rode with me all the time, was no longer interested in riding. We made a trip from Florida to Texas in April of 2021, on that trip, I managed to drop my wing, bounce my trailer over a curb, missed a few turns, nearly sideswiped by a semi at 70 mph and encountered the worst wind and rain storm I have ever ridden in over 20 plus years of riding. I made my decision to sell the bike and give up riding before we started our return journey, ridding back from Texas to Florida was most uncomfortable 3 days ever on the bike.

After selling the bike and rearranging my garage that had been semi-tailored around owning a bike, I still needed a "speed" related hobby so I purchased a 2019 C7 Corvette last July, not quite the adrenalin rush of the bike(s), but fun none the less.

It is a personal decision, it is not an easy decision but it is one that most all of us will need to make at some point. I for one am happy with mine and must say I have not really missed the wing since I sold it. I still frequent many motorcycle forums to visit with and keep up on friends I have made over the years and maybe even help out a member or two with some particular knowledge I have left over from my riding days.
If you continue to ride, please ride safe and often.

My new joy

Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

M61A1MECH wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:32 am I had to make that decision last year, after not riding more than 2000 miles the previous year, in 2021 I found my skills had degraded, my enthusiasm had waned and my wife who at one time rode with me all the time, was no longer interested in riding. We made a trip from Florida to Texas in April of 2021, on that trip, I managed to drop my wing, bounce my trailer over a curb, missed a few turns, nearly sideswiped by a semi at 70 mph and encountered the worst wind and rain storm I have ever ridden in over 20 plus years of riding. I made my decision to sell the bike and give up riding before we started our return journey, ridding back from Texas to Florida was most uncomfortable 3 days ever on the bike.

After selling the bike and rearranging my garage that had been semi-tailored around owning a bike, I still needed a "speed" related hobby so I purchased a 2019 C7 Corvette last July, not quite the adrenalin rush of the bike(s), but fun none the less.

It is a personal decision, it is not an easy decision but it is one that most all of us will need to make at some point. I for one am happy with mine and must say I have not really missed the wing since I sold it. I still frequent many motorcycle forums to visit with and keep up on friends I have made over the years and maybe even help out a member or two with some particular knowledge I have left over from my riding days.
If you continue to ride, please ride safe and often.

My new joyIMG_2101.JPG
I think that Corvette will give you all the adrenalin rush you can handle. It will out-accelerate your Goldwing and is a LOT faster top speed. That is a beautiful car. I sold my C6 to my son over 3 years ago and am missing it now. They are fun cars and great for two people to tour in. I may get another Corvette if I go ahead and sell my Goldwing. Motorcycle riding is just not as much fun as it was and my wife has bad health so I can't be gone for very long at a time.
Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger »

As suggested above you could move back to Canada :D we would love to have ya. The sound of 2 wheels calling is much sweeter in April and May Then in Jan and Feb. Remember the first time every spring when you heard the first whine of a motorcycle off in the distance, and you stop whatever your doing and looked off into space, and people around you ask what's with you? I agree it's hard to stay in the grove and me at 63 it gets harder every year, the adage I try to go by is " You don't stop riding because you got old...... You got old because you stopped riding" . Maybe stepping down to a smaller lighter bike might bring the joy back. Which ever you decide, you have a wealth of knowledge about bikes that would be sorely missed and very difficult to replace, stay with the form, keep your toes in the water.
The avatar is of me and the Mrs. on the dragon a few years back.
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

Been there. I think many of us have.

Mine came about 9-10 years ago when I had my Hayabusa. Back in '84, at 18, I purchased my first street bike, a Suzuki GS1100E. The salesman asked me if I was sure and then told me if I got this I would never be happy with anything less than an 1100. He was right. My moment when riding was no longer fun was when I realized it wasn't fun unless I was going fast. 100, 120, 140, +
And I had a daughter. I had to stop riding and get rid of that bike.

Six or so years later my wife convinced me to get back on. A GoldWing

I enjoy riding again and for different reasons. I don't need to go fast anymore. Every time I'm out, alone or with my wife, I have that same excited feeling when I rode across country by myself from Navy A-school in Memphis, through Dallas, to stay with family, then on to my duty station in San Diego.

Do what feels right. Sell your bikes or not. Put them in storage for a while if you don't want to sell then, but do want to hang it up for a while.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
2008 GL1800 Titanium
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red

Post by Wingsconsin »

It's not that easy -
I was OFF motorcycles for nearly 20 years while I was raising my children -
The entire time I was yearning for 'one more ride' -
I fed my desire by short rides on my brothers bike, and watching others closely -
UNTIL _ I saw a GL1200 sitting on a driveway with a FOR SALE sign -
That was about 15 years ago - and I now own 3 motorcycles and have owned many more and flipped quite a few.
The distracted driver situation is a REAL problem - hopefully the integration of the cell phone into the auto (Android Auto and Apple's version? ) will make people LESS dangerous
The cell phone as an extension of the CAR rather than the PERSON is making things better (I pray) and the driver assist functions are also helping idiots who can't drive well.

Are these advancements enough to make motorcycling SAFE ? NO -- but less dangerous I hope -- Yes
Is that enough to sway you from stopping -- only YOU can answer -
But I feel like a life style decision should be made slowly - and this will affect your life -
It is a big decision - I know someday I will sell off my motorbikes and buy a convertible -
Not ready to do it yet ;)

Best wishes to you on this -
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Munk's Maxim -- There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle
hwkfan
Motorcycle: 1979 Kawasaki 750 LTD (Sold), 1982 Honda Nighthawk 750 (sold), 1984 Honda V45 750 (sold), 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 (sold), 2000 GL1500 SE (current)

Post by hwkfan »

Scott,
I hear you and you're not the first person who when the time came and fear of "what if" was to loud to ignore and quit riding. That said I learned to ride in Chicago and had more than few close calls with cabs and city buses. I now live near Houston TX and the traffic is insane but I have not had any close calls. I feel like the King Wing provides a level of awareness for me and those around me coupled with the fact that I'm not driving like an idiot zigzaging in and out of traffic like my hair is on fire makes all the difference.

If I get to the point where the bike just sits in the garage on the battery tender all the time maybe it is time for a new bike maybe it is time to just find another hobby but only I can answer that.

I have a feeling that if you picked up a new wing you might find that excitement again..just sayin' ;)
Motorcycle 2000 GL1500 SE
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot
Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
2008 GL1800 Titanium
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red

Post by Wingsconsin »

hwkfan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:56 am Scott,
I hear you and you're not the first person who when the time came and fear of "what if" was to loud to ignore and quit riding. That said I learned to ride in Chicago and had more than few close calls with cabs and city buses. I now live near Houston TX and the traffic is insane but I have not had any close calls. I feel like the King Wing provides a level of awareness for me and those around me coupled with the fact that I'm not driving like an idiot zigzaging in and out of traffic like my hair is on fire makes all the difference.

If I get to the point where the bike just sits in the garage on the battery tender all the time maybe it is time for a new bike maybe it is time to just find another hobby but only I can answer that.

I have a feeling that if you picked up a new wing you might find that excitement again..just sayin' ;)
GL1800 ;)
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Munk's Maxim -- There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle
Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
A pack of Super Cubs
Z50A (pre-headlight)
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

I guess it would depend where you ride.

Few rides are more enjoyable than a Super Cub trip around O'ahu.

And, being in rural Nevada, I have lots of open highway going different directions from here. Reno one way, Salt Lake City the other, then maybe side trips to where they drove in the Golden Spike, to Lava Hot Springs in Idaho, to the Hill AFB museum. Or leave the house and be in Vegas for dinner. Legendary US 50, "America's Loneliest Highway" that follows the Pony Express trail to the museum in Ely where you can drive a real train. Down 395 to Manzanar, Edwards Air Force Base and China Lake (and don't forget Star Wars Canyon, where the pilots fly fast and below the hills). Lake Tahoe to Salton Sea, the Great Salt Lake to the Pacific Ocean, deserts, mountains, rivers . . .these are the roads where a Goldwing LIVES.

I wouldn't want to do all of my riding in cities anymore, though. And don't look for me anywhere in the Northeast US, even in a car.
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan (sold)
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Never easy to make a life changing decision. We all get there eventually. It's sad that society plays a major role in these decisions, instead of us just realizing it's time to change. You mention fun, if it isn't don't do it. There is something else that will be. Wish you the best in your decision, and new chapter in your life.

Started to think of this a few years back, mostly because my health is still good, joints and such are still in good shape. Started to look into trike conversions and the CanAm Spyders for around my 70th b'day in three years. One of my riding friends blindsided me with a Spyder demo afternoon, we had a great time. Reminded me of riding a smowmobile. Borrowed his for Sonya to have a ride on, she liked it, felt much more safe on it, don't have to put the foot down to stabilize. Started to look for one, found one in a Pearl white colour to match the trailer, all decked out - a 2014 RTL, and was made a deal I could not refuse. Sold the 1500, kept my '85 Limited Edition ongoing retirement project.

Like the two wheels, but like the Spyder just as much. I know there will come a time when my situation will change and both rides will go. Live in Victoria BC and just bought a snowblower, never would have thought, too many times you hear about the first snowfall and someone has a heart attack. If it never snows again money well spent. Can't let the ego get in the way of quality of life.

Just a thought, but always wanted to refurbish a 1969 Mopar. Don't have the room, but would like to see someone do it. Would be like having your first bike back again, a bit of raw power with some metal around it and with four wheels. Need to have a reason to get out of bed in the morning. :D :D

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"
"My '85 FI model is not a project bike, it's my retirement career"
Ernest
zbros106
Motorcycle: 2 Gl1100's, 7 Gl1200's, 1 GL1500, 1 GL1800 (currently) 1,1980 XL250l(first enduro),XL500,3 XR600, 1 XR628 Al Baker, 2 XR400R, 2 XR650R, XR650L (currently), CRF 450X, CR500, CR250, RM250, YZ490, 2 V65 Magnas, 2 V65 Sabres, 1980 XS650 Special Yamaha (first street bike) and I'm sure there are more. Very Addicting hobby!! I'm a Motorhead!

Post by zbros106 »

Hello, My name is Jeff (zbros106). I'm responding to your concern as to whether its safe to keep riding or time to stop. I too have had that thought for awhile. I used to live in the mountains in southern California. I've had so much fun over 43 years of riding and I feel I need to ride now and then. I had an incident a few years ago where a person pulled out in front of me on my enduro and I only sustained a nice bruise. So, I decided not to ride on holidays, incliment weather, and in the tourist town of Big Bear, Ca., I wouldn't ride in the town on weekends. I've since moved to Utah in a much smaller town. I know I can ride in the mountains in the summer months where its alot less populated and I feel safer. I've ridden motorcycles in Europe and I used to ride my dirt bike all the way down Baja Mexico and sleep on the beaches until the cartel got too aggressive. So, I still ride when the weather is good. and I don't ride in crowded places unless necessary. I used to race desert when I was younger and I still feel like I'm capable at 59. I'm still in good condition even though I had a kidney transplant and feel very good. If you really feel unsafe than stay away from unsafe areas and only drive in areas you feel comfortable. I've always enjoyed your website and I frequently visit it at times. Thank you Scott, Jeff Zimmerman
winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing 8 : 1982 gl1100 standard.

Post by winguyjo »

we have texters and make-up appliers here, too, but people with a cell phone to their ear isn't all that common any more. quite a few years back i got 2 cell phone tickets about 2 months apart, the fine for each one alone exceeded the cost of a hands-free device. took me 2 tickets, but i learned. i am guessing that some jurisdictions either don't have sufficient penalties or they just aren't enforced ?

when the time comes that i just can't ride, or don't feel reasonably safe doing so, i will probably still bring old bikes back from the dead, and i can always putt up and down the alley on a test ride after i get them running.
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

Just my two cents....
Don't sell the bike. Park it for a year or so while you find something else to do.
If you sell it, you'll end up missing it and you'll be sorry.
Don't QUIT riding, just take a break from it for a while.
Then see how you feel in a year or two.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
Ochuck01
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 interstate
1982 Honda CX 500
1981 H-D super glide
1975 motoguzzi 850t
1966 bsa royal star
2007 Suzuki dl1000

Post by Ochuck01 »

About six years ago my riding lifestyle changed. Change of job and an il parent required my focus on other things. I still enjoy riding but now I tinker more than I ride. The odd thing is this is when I got my Goldwing. It’s a 1983 gl1100 interstate. It was in running condition but needed the same things every other old bike needed, (this is how I discovered your site).
All of your articles and videos made working on the old beast fun. It’s been my go-to site for about everything.
I enjoy taking it out on trips around the farms, and short rides to the nearby villages but no long excursions! I’m only 63 so I’m still young enough to go distance if wish but as you have stated it’s getting dangerous. I travel by car to visit my daughter in Nashville. My close calls with kamikaze cell phone pilots has caused me to reroute my visits to just to avoid the insanity. They are uncaring and selfish but we pay the price. I’m still comfortable with the idea of a possible day trip on a scenic route but I think the tail of the dragon is gonna have to live without me.
Thanks for your site and you do what’s best for you and yours.
God bless.
skier
Motorcycle: 2002 Gl1800 77k miles
2006 ST1300 14k miles -- sold in 2020 to a 75 year old
1987 GL1200I 135k miles -- sold in 2020 to an 80 year old
2009 Honda Silverwing 16k miles -- the wife's scooter

Post by skier »

On my mind also, but not quite ready to give it up yet. At the age of 72, I think about my physical capabilities diminishing and pay careful attention to it. When I do get on the bike, I enjoy it yet, but also know that someone else's carelessness can kill. Over the past two years, I have sold my GL1200 to an 80 year old and my ST1300 to a 75 year old, so I do see the "elderly" comfortably riding and trust that they have made a conscious decision to that regard. I do think I will sell my remaining GL1800 in the next couple of years and then zoom around town with the wife's Silverwing scooter. Until then I plan to enjoy the time I have left on the road. Scott, I know you are a thoughtful person and will make the correct decision for you.