Japanese Bike Manufacturers Are Cutting Models To Comply With Emissions Regulations

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Japanese Bike Manufacturers Are Cutting Models To Comply With Emissions Regulations

Post by kwthom »

Well, this got me out of bed...and in front of a real keyboard.

Read the last line of the third paragraph of the following article, published yesterday:

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/06/japan ... gulations/

Article doesn't clearly differentiate between the home (Japan) market and the North American (or European) markets.

I don't think this should alarm anyone...

However, I'd consider this a look into the future. Near-term? Long-term?

Source article:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Envir ... -this-year

Japanese market, it would seem for now.

Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Re: Japanese Bike Manufacturers Are Cutting Models To Comply With Emissions Regulations

Post by Sassy »

If they can continue to make money in the North American market they'll continue to build and export our Wings.
We all know the home Japanese market has all kinds of different vehicles because of local restrictions.
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Japanese Bike Manufacturers Are Cutting Models To Comply With Emissions Regulations

Post by Rambozo »

The GoldWing is a good candidate to go electric. What other bike could carry hundreds of pounds of batteries without a second thought?
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

It's not new news - the Euro emissions standards are VERY strict, and automakers are also having to closely examine and revisit their plans.
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

Rambozo wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:47 am The GoldWing is a good candidate to go electric. What other bike could carry hundreds of pounds of batteries without a second thought?
This exactly.

After just buying the ultimate comfort touring machine (2000 SE), it has occurred to me that there are increasingly fewer places I will actually be able to ride her!

Recently went to Paris, and it seems I can only ride this bike there at night! (From 8 pm to 8 am to be precise). There are more and more cities doing this, and with plans to ban ICE vehicles all together.

I also have a 91 SE in pieces, which will never be a show queen, and she's the ideal candidate to receive an electric motor, controller, and lithium cells.

The irony is that at 31 years old, the 91 is a lot closer to being exempt from many low emissions zones, than the 2000 at only 22 years old, but I couldn't bring myself to hack the 2000 apart and mackle an electric drivetrain into her.

Then again, at £2 per litre ($2.46) I can't really afford to ride anywhere at the moment anyway!!! Thank you Putin!
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Post by joecoolsuncle »

Sadanorakman wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:53 pm
Rambozo wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:47 am The GoldWing is a good candidate to go electric. What other bike could carry hundreds of pounds of batteries without a second thought?
This exactly.

After just buying the ultimate comfort touring machine (2000 SE), it has occurred to me that there are increasingly fewer places I will actually be able to ride her!

Recently went to Paris, and it seems I can only ride this bike there at night! (From 8 pm to 8 am to be precise). There are more and more cities doing this, and with plans to ban ICE vehicles all together.

I also have a 91 SE in pieces, which will never be a show queen, and she's the ideal candidate to receive an electric motor, controller, and lithium cells.

The irony is that at 31 years old, the 91 is a lot closer to being exempt from many low emissions zones, than the 2000 at only 22 years old, but I couldn't bring myself to hack the 2000 apart and mackle an electric drivetrain into her.

Then again, at £2 per litre ($2.46) I can't really afford to ride anywhere at the moment anyway!!! Thank you Putin!
so, putin is making ridiculous regulations that will result in everyone losing their ability to travel freely?
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

joecoolsuncle wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:27 am
Sadanorakman wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:53 pm
so, putin is making ridiculous regulations that will result in everyone losing their ability to travel freely?
Not sure if you are being sarcastic joecoolsuncle?

The Putin reference was only regarding the fuel price, not the tightening of emissions controls around densely populated areas in Europe: I'm now paying over 50% more for petrol than I was six months ago.

https://www.afr.com/markets/commodities ... 0for%20it.

short extract:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are oil prices so high?
The simple answer: oil prices are high because Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine has led to sanctions against the Russian Federation, cutting off the world’s second largest oil producer from global supply chains. Countries trying to get their hands on oil elsewhere are now having to pay a premium for it.

As with most commodities, the price of oil is driven largely by supply and demand.

Historically, extremely high oil prices have been predominantly influenced by geopolitical tensions or war in an energy-producing country, as was the case in the 1990s when Iraq invaded Kuwait.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much have gas prices in the U.S. risen since the New Year?
joecoolsuncle

Post by joecoolsuncle »

uh-huh. still wrong. eliminate the global agenda and you shall find the truth. did putin quit allowing russian oil to go to the market, like biden did usa oil? are euro sanctions against russia the reason your complaining of fuel prices? rlflmao.
fact: the usa and russia have been taken out of the global supply chain. the nuts are running the asylum.. so, just who is reaping profits of the existing oil sales? just who is polluting the environment now? the world will be hungry soon, get some good shoes so you can stand in line for your bread.
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

joecoolsuncle wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:44 am uh-huh. still wrong. eliminate the global agenda and you shall find the truth. did putin quit allowing russian oil to go to the market, like biden did usa oil? are euro sanctions against russia the reason your complaining of fuel prices? rlflmao.
fact: the usa and russia have been taken out of the global supply chain. the nuts are running the asylum.. so, just who is reaping profits of the existing oil sales? just who is polluting the environment now? the world will be hungry soon, get some good shoes so you can stand in line for your bread.
Elaborate please.

Seems pretty plausible that most of the world are no longer buying Russian crude due to disapproval at invasion.

What's happened in the states, did Biden stop crude export? If so, why? Do you guys not have any excess to spare?
joecoolsuncle

Post by joecoolsuncle »

Sadanorakman wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:55 am
joecoolsuncle wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:44 am uh-huh. still wrong. eliminate the global agenda and you shall find the truth. did putin quit allowing russian oil to go to the market, like biden did usa oil? are euro sanctions against russia the reason your complaining of fuel prices? rlflmao.
Elaborate please.

Seems pretty plausible that most of the world are no longer buying Russian crude due to disapproval at invasion.

What's happened in the states, did Biden stop crude export? If so, why? Do you guys not have any excess to spare?
russian oil is still on the market. how do you know if you are buying russian oil, or maybe saudi oil, or ????? yes, first day, biden began the war on America. halted pipelines, canceled drilling areas, not allowing any new leases, etc: we (usa) are now buying oil from the same markets as your country is. those markets are selling terrorist funding. the world is supporting that. seems china is having no problem with supply, just look at that smog!
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

joecoolsuncle wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:44 am russian oil is still on the market. how do you know if you are buying russian oil, or maybe saudi oil, or ????? yes, first day, biden began the war on America. halted pipelines, canceled drilling areas, not allowing any new leases, etc: we (usa) are now buying oil from the same markets as your country is. those markets are selling terrorist funding. the world is supporting that. seems china is having no problem with supply, just look at that smog!
Russian oil still on the market if you'll pay them in rubles for it, which few countries are willing to do.

No doubt there's a black market for some of it too, depending on which intermediary you go to.

Can't comment too much about Biden, but as an outsider, he seems to me, to be a doddery old man, in a semi confused state. He's already started with some of the Bush gaffes.

I guess no better or worse than the previous idiot though. I still cannot fathom how he hoodwinked so much of America into supporting him.

I know politics corrupts, but have you guys not got a single trustworthy, younger than 80, more dynamic politician anywhere in your midst? Such an important role as a head of state, and it seems to go to the most inept.

I guess Obama was a lot more dynamic and savvy, but seems he pissed off half your nation too! Maybe the western world is due nothing but trouble, period.

Politics are equally flawed in this country too. Boris Johnson is a lying bafoon, but there's noone else vaguely competent waiting in the wings to effectively challenge him!

Anyway, back to the Chinese: As a nation, they are very clever. They may treat their subjects like ****, but they are steadily taking over the rest of the world by stealth. If they can't out-manufacture you, they'll get you by buying into all kinds of major business interests. You wake up one day to find your gas and electricity provider, or Telecoms provider is now majority Chinese owned.
joecoolsuncle

Post by joecoolsuncle »

Sadanorakman wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:41 pm
joecoolsuncle wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:44 am russian oil is still on the market. how do you know if you are buying russian oil, or maybe saudi oil, or ????? yes, first day, biden began the war on America. halted pipelines, canceled drilling areas, not allowing any new leases, etc: we (usa) are now buying oil from the same markets as your country is. those markets are selling terrorist funding. the world is supporting that. seems china is having no problem with supply, just look at that smog!
Russian oil still on the market if you'll pay them in rubles for it, which few countries are willing to do.

No doubt there's a black market for some of it too, depending on which intermediary you go to.

Can't comment too much about Biden, but as an outsider, he seems to me, to be a doddery old man, in a semi confused state. He's already started with some of the Bush gaffes.

I guess no better or worse than the previous idiot though. I still cannot fathom how he hoodwinked so much of America into supporting him.

I know politics corrupts, but have you guys not got a single trustworthy, younger than 80, more dynamic politician anywhere in your midst? Such an important role as a head of state, and it seems to go to the most inept.

I guess Obama was a lot more dynamic and savvy, but seems he pissed off half your nation too! Maybe the western world is due nothing but trouble, period.

Politics are equally flawed in this country too. Boris Johnson is a lying bafoon, but there's noone else vaguely competent waiting in the wings to effectively challenge him!

Anyway, back to the Chinese: As a nation, they are very clever. They may treat their subjects like ****, but they are steadily taking over the rest of the world by stealth. If they can't out-manufacture you, they'll get you by buying into all kinds of major business interests. You wake up one day to find your gas and electricity provider, or Telecoms provider is now majority Chinese owned.
allow me to sum this up for you. china owns the democrat party. we elected a businessman to put our country back on track. china bought into the republican party. we reeleted same businessman to continue his good work, promoting America and saving the world from the bolshevics.
china bough the world, including your statesmen.
the globalists overwhelmed the voting process and gave the world a soggy strand of spaghetti. throw it at the fridge door and it sticks! yall got what you wanted. the whole world now sukks just as bad as the little group of countries we left. great brittain! long live the queen! long live the church of england. lets all rejoice in perpetual slavery! pardon me while i fire up my motorcycle and ride in my free country........................................
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

This thread is way off track, and veering into politics, which is guaranteed to end in a flame war (it always does). No more political posts on this thread please, or the thread ends.
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

Noted Wingadmin; guilty as charged.

How to get from gas prices to lunacy in about 5 posts!

There are two threads almost adjacent discussing Honda discontinuing bikes, then specifically the gold wing.

This one had started to talk about electric conversions or electric versions of gold wings. Perhaps we can follow that line of discussion?

If Harley can turn out an electric bike, I'd like to think honda could do much better.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Honda has stated that ALL of its vehicles - cars and motorcycles - will be fully electric by 2040. They already have patent filings on hybrid and electric motorcycles, so it's coming...
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Lithium Sulfur batteries might be just the ticket for an electric Wing. That is if it can move from the lab to the factory floor.
https://drexel.edu/news/archive/2022/fe ... lectrolyte
COOLRYANEXPRESS
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by COOLRYANEXPRESS »

They're just bound and determined to keep us plebians from traveling about freely. Meanwhile, they exempt their yachts, private jets and limos from the carbon tax. These tools have a bigger carbon footprint in a month than most of us will have during our lifetime.

It doesn't really matter if they "cut off" certain models...the governments are going to do whatever they want...ordinary citizens be damned.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

As a corporation, Honda Motor Company is going to do what's in it's best interest to maximize shareholder value.

If the government in the home country has imposed these restrictions based on emissions (as other industrialize countries around the world are doing...), then it's 100% in their best interest to do so.

Now, if this news actually comes to fruition as those articles claim, and Honda decides that it's not worth the effort to continue building the Wing (or any other motorcycle) because it no longer is in their best interest to do so, then "it is what it is."

I suspect there will be an American company that might continue to build liter-sized motorcycles for touring, but at $40k and up, I really don't see many in this cohort buying them brand new off the showroom floor.

Now, certainly it's still possible to tour world-wide on a much smaller machine; it happens all the time. Plenty of YouTube videos on people doing it all the time.
COOLRYANEXPRESS
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by COOLRYANEXPRESS »

Government is the problem...not the solution however.
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

Rambozo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:21 am Lithium Sulfur batteries might be just the ticket for an electric Wing. That is if it can move from the lab to the factory floor.
Yes, I read this a couple of weeks ago. It's amazing, and just what the electrification of transport needs: three times the energy capacity of batteries based upon lithium cobalt, more abundant supply of the raw materials, with less damage to the environment to extract, and massive recharge cycle life, which is also a problem with today's cells.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Sadanorakman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:24 pm
Rambozo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:21 am Lithium Sulfur batteries might be just the ticket for an electric Wing. That is if it can move from the lab to the factory floor.
Yes, I read this a couple of weeks ago. It's amazing, and just what the electrification of transport needs: three times the energy capacity of batteries based upon lithium cobalt, more abundant supply of the raw materials, with less damage to the environment to extract, and massive recharge cycle life, which is also a problem with today's cells.
Not only that, it has the low internal resistance required for vehicle use (means high current, faster recharging, less heat), and more importantly, the state of charge (SOC) range for normal functioning for lithium sulfur is from 0-100%. You can completely discharge it and completely recharge it with no ill effects.

Compare that to conventional lithium ion technology which has a usable SOC of only 15-95% - which means 20% of the battery capacity can't even be used.
joecoolsuncle

Post by joecoolsuncle »

and, that is, if the factory can still operate without coal, gas, yada yada. or, by the time that technology is affordable, if the factory can operate without electricity.
trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate (Sold)

Post by trike lady »

Honda has already looked into the crystal ball some time ago. Its on the drawing board, been through the patent office and a prototype is being tested in Japan. The article below was posted in 2011 and eleven years later in the Halls of Honda there is an actual one.
http://heartlandhonda.blogspot.com/2011 ... n-way.html
:idea:
joecoolsuncle

Post by joecoolsuncle »

trike lady wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:12 pm Honda has already looked into the crystal ball some time ago. Its on the drawing board, been through the patent office and a prototype is being tested in Japan. The article below was posted in 2011 and eleven years later in the Halls of Honda there is an actual one.
http://heartlandhonda.blogspot.com/2011 ... n-way.html
:idea:
your link shows a hybrid. nothing new there. hybrids are ALMOST feasible today, but much different than eliminating the internal combustion engine.
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

joecoolsuncle wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:54 am your link shows a hybrid. nothing new there. hybrids are ALMOST feasible today, but much different than eliminating the internal combustion engine.
Hybrid bikes are totally feasible today.

Hybrid cars it seems have a lower carbon footprint over their lifetime than fully electric cars, until we have more easily sourced raw materials, lower-energy manufacturing techniques, and more renewable energy sources to charge them:

[YouTube]

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
[/YouTube]