Breaking News: Honda Discontinues the Goldwing!?!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Breaking News: Honda Discontinues the Goldwing!?!

Post by WingAdmin »

From this article on the Asian Nikkei, Honda is discontinuing ten different models of motorcycles, including the Goldwing, thanks to new, tighter Japanese emissions standards coming into effect this fall. 20 different models from all the Japanese manufacturers are affected:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Envir ... -this-year

An excerpt from this article:
Honda, the world's largest motorcycle company, will retire approximately 10 out of 80 models. The affected bikes include popular models like the CB400 Super Four, a midsized motorcycle which has been a bestseller since the 1990s.

Also on Honda's chopping block are models from the full-sized Gold Wing series, as well as the Benly scooter made for delivery services.
So doesn't sound like ALL the Goldwings...just some. I suspect this might mean the non-DCT Wings will go away.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Breaking News: Honda Discontinues the Goldwing!?!

Post by Swagonmaster »

Acording to this article brief the Gold Wing is going away! :evil:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/honda-suzu ... ent-501650

Tell me it ain't so Ethel!
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

Of course consider the source, but bikes gotta evolve to get cleaner, just as cars are.

One could argue if we need 1800cc of displacement, with the additional frictional losses of six cylinders in a motorcycle these days. I know it brings smooth traction, but so can an electric hybrid engine with half as many cylinders (and half or less of the displacement).

When Honda brought out the 2018 wing, there was rumour they were going to also offer a 4 cylinder hybrid variant, where the front two cylinders had been replaced with an electric system, kind of Toyota Prius idea. I like to think at least this idea was down on paper, if not tried and tested by honda.
Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Still trying go recover from when they moved from marysville. :|
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

WingAdmin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:03 pm So doesn't sound like ALL the Goldwings...just some. I suspect this might mean the non-DCT Wings will go away.
Why would the DCT goldwings have lower emissions than those with manual transmissions?
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

Emissions are lower on any automatic trans because it can "encourage" you to shift when it is best for emissions purposes, one of the reasons that stick shift cars are hard to find now.
Honda seems to be up a well known creek since new more stringent emission laws have been passed and redesigning an old engine is expensive it's all about how many copies will they sell so as to recover those expenses and still make a profit.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Post by joecoolsuncle »

WingAdmin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:03 pm Here's a more reliable source:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Envir ... -this-year

An excerpt from this article:
Honda, the world's largest motorcycle company, will retire approximately 10 out of 80 models. The affected bikes include popular models like the CB400 Super Four, a midsized motorcycle which has been a bestseller since the 1990s.

Also on Honda's chopping block are models from the full-sized Gold Wing series, as well as the Benly scooter made for delivery services.
So doesn't sound like ALL the Goldwings...just some. I suspect this might mean the non-DCT Wings will go away.
pointed to a global market. cb400 super4 is where? that may indicate eradication of not only very old engine technology, but also non competitve models that have run their course and cannot compete with the 300cc singles because of cheaper manufactoring and/or tariffs
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Sadanorakman wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:43 pm
WingAdmin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:03 pm So doesn't sound like ALL the Goldwings...just some. I suspect this might mean the non-DCT Wings will go away.
Why would the DCT goldwings have lower emissions than those with manual transmissions?
One of the ways manufacturers are modifying vehicles to get around the Euro 5 standard is by increasing engine size, so that the engine makes the power at a lower RPM. Lower RPM = lower emissions.

With the DCT, they can program the DCT's computer to shift at lower shift points to keep RPM down and emissions lower. Can't do that with a manual transmission.

Air cooled engines are really up the creek, many manufacturers have already abandoned air-cooled cruisers because of this.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

I posted a video on this...

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

So it was discontinued, but then that was cancelled?
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

tamathumper wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:55 am So it was discontinued, but then that was cancelled?
No, the "cancelled" is just a stamp I used on the thumbnail. I couldn't find a "discontinued" stamp image to use. :)
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Brief history here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_ ... _standards

Note that the final auto standard is Euro 7, being discussed now for implementation in 2025. Also note that the auto standard and the 2-/3- wheel standards are harmonized. Thus, if the current configuration can't make the cut, it either is improved or it's eliminated.

Elimination from the market seems to be the easy way out of the jam for all of the Big Four manufacturers, as noted in the article. Whether or not 'Big Red' chooses to improve the model for worldwide sales of ~20,000* units year....cost-benefit analysis is going to be difficult to overcome.

* Back-of-the-envelope estimate
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

I think it's mildly funny that people don't start worrying about something until it directly effects them. Human nature eh.

California not withstanding...

I get it, that with such a large land mass, Vs population, that unless you live in a crowded place then emissions just aren't likely to be very high on your agenda.

Kind of ironic that it's the increasing concern about emissions outside of the U.S. that has finally threatened the existence of a product that was inspired by, designed for, (and manufactured in) the U.S. for so many years.

Be a real shame to see the end of the gold wing line after what, 46 years? I hope mother honda decides to do something re hybrid or electric more rapidly to ensure continuity.
goldenknight4212
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Post by goldenknight4212 »

Why not just make them in the US again, on a limited scale, and get back in Marysville Motorcycle Plant? The US market has to account for enough sales to justify some variation or scale of this option.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

In all likelyhood Honda is having to look at the prospect of the US passing regs like those in Japan and the Euro countries. Manufactures have to have a three to ten year or more outlook since they have to plan a long way ahead to know not only what they can sell now but also what will sell years from now (or what they will be allowed to sell). Even US makers are having to think emissions, fuel mileage and should we go electric so it's no wonder Honda is in the same boat.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

Of course I'm rather old school, I remember road draft tubes (look it up kids) and no emission regs at all.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

goldenknight4212 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:44 pm Why not just make them in the US again, on a limited scale, and get back in Marysville Motorcycle Plant? The US market has to account for enough sales to justify some variation or scale of this option.
Since motorcycle manufacturing left Ohio, the plant has significantly grown for auto products.

It was sent to Japan for cost savings. Doubt that your wish would ever happen.
Effective 07/02/2022, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

The trend is pretty clear. I think the yellow was wishful thinking at the presentation where this was given.

Maybe it will be dropped to bring out the PlatinumWing? :roll:
Ithaca_Trail
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800HPN

Post by Ithaca_Trail »

If will be a sad day when production concludes but then I have no plans to replacement for my 2008 model with something that has yet to be made. Plus my Wing will probably out live me. Same for my 2017 Accord.
2008 GL1800
GLRT
Motorcycle: Many diverse types and brands - mostly reverse trikes right now

Post by GLRT »

I anticipated Honda would be the first to go with an ecycle. As with cars any company not going electric will be gone in 5 years. GM will be gone. Harley will be late to the party ut has a strong anti change base so they may hang on for a while. I believe a proper wheels forward trike is the real deal . Www.zener-ecite.com may be it?
mnmailman
Motorcycle: 1980 Vetterized gl1100

Post by mnmailman »

What a bunch of unnecessary big brother govt. b.s. :evil:
COOLRYANEXPRESS
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by COOLRYANEXPRESS »

Government B.S. is right.
jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
1979 Honda CM400T
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Post by jbaviera »

GLRT wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:14 am Www.zener-ecite.com may be it?
That is about the ugliest bike/trike I've seen to date! It's such a hodge-podge of parts!
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!
bogdog
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800 Goldwing F6B

Post by bogdog »

Guess I'll hold on to my 2014 F6B for a while. Could be worth a phat resale price a couple years down the road.
GLRT
Motorcycle: Many diverse types and brands - mostly reverse trikes right now

Post by GLRT »

Typically motorcycle design is 70 years behind automotive. Just look at how long it took for automatic transmissions. How many more years will manufactures like HD stay around with a 110 year old design? Honda and most likely BRP will dominate with electrics ICE is dead.