Sometimes there's just nothing you can do...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Sometimes there's just nothing you can do...

Post by WingAdmin »

I came across this video. It's a GL1800 Airbag with an Innovv camera on the fairing, just like mine.

Riding in the rain at night, a driver makes an illegal left turn in front of him. I don't know that I could offer anything that I would have done differently to avoid this.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Here's what he wrote:
The car was making an illegal left turn leaving a parking lot and I was traveling 4 MPH under the speed limit of 35 MPH.

I was rushed to the hospital where after many tests, they didn't find any broken bones or exterior abrasions. I was wearing a full face helmet, jacket with armor, full fingered gloves, firehose pants, over-the-ankle boots, and a one-piece rainsuit. I flew over the car hood and landed on my right side with my head hitting the pavement really hard. Since the bike swung sideways, my airbag couldn't prevent my body from leaving the bike.

Without a full face helmet I'd be dead. Without the gear I was wearing, I'd have a lot of broken bones. I've been in a lot of pain since that car hit me and it's hard to sleep, get up, walk around, etc.

The driver was a woman with a baby in the back seat. Witnesses told me that the baby seemed fine, just crying. The car driver was making an illegal left turn where there was a sign that showed no left turn and four yellow lines in the middle of the road that indicate vehicles are not legally permitted to make a left turn. The Google Drive link shows the area, pics of the accident, my gear after the accident, the incident report, and finally, my bike after the accident. The police report isn't finished yet.

Did I mention that I'm in a lot of pain?

two_wheeled
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800
2007 FJR1300AE
2000 XR650L

Re: Sometimes there's just nothing you can do...

Post by two_wheeled »

Thanks for sharing. I watched the video and jumped when that car popped out. Yikes! Sorry.
Glad you were wearing your gear and that it worked well.
Wish you a good recovery.
2000 GL1800A
2007 FJR1300AE
2000 XR650L
biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Re: Sometimes there's just nothing you can do...

Post by biguns »

man that hurt, right on the hard part of the car.