Life change...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Life change...

Post by Big Bob »

Saturday June 25 is a day I will never forget, I had a near fatal ATV crash. I have rode over 250 k on motorcycles, and this happened going less than 5 mph. I was smoothing out some ruts at the cabin left by a well digging truck, I was turning around in a narrow area close to the edge on a hill. The ATV has always been difficult shifting from forward to reverse and back, I was positive it was in forward...apparently it wasn't myself and 750# of ATV went backwards down the hill landing on me , it hit the cabin I landed on the hillside. My wife found me, got a neighbor who helped me get up the hill, car ride to local hospital to discover I had multiple damaged vertebrae and a broken rib. Couldn't get an ambulance to take me to the city, so after waiting over 2hrs they got me a helicopter 🚁 to Regions Hospital, a trauma center. Now I'm in a rehab center closer to home. I'll be out of work at least 12 weeks, lucky to be alive, and no more riding for this year. I am vigilant about my PT and OT for full recovery, best part so far no surgery, body brace sucks but part of recovery. I plan on riding my wing again!!! Thanks for reading, listening and prayers.

Bob

Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Re: Life change...

Post by joecoolsuncle »

dude! you never know. glad you aint staring at grass roots! broke my neck in 98, took a while to get back to almost normal. the biggest reason it took so long was the insurance company. liberty mutual did every thing the could to kill me or leave me in a chair. a great neurosurgeon was an angel and patched me up while waiting another 2 years to get his pay from insurance. had he been other than an angel, i wouldnt be typing now.
hopefully, you have a much speedier recovery and all your parts function as before!

peace and thank God!
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

joecoolsuncle wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:00 am dude! you never know. glad you aint staring at grass roots! broke my neck in 98, took a while to get back to almost normal. the biggest reason it took so long was the insurance company. liberty mutual did every thing the could to kill me or leave me in a chair. a great neurosurgeon was an angel and patched me up while waiting another 2 years to get his pay from insurance. had he been other than an angel, i wouldnt be typing now.
hopefully, you have a much speedier recovery and all your parts function as before!

peace and thank God!
Sheesh, and we dare to complain about our national health service!!!
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

wow!

that is a closer call than I had when I called 'Calf Rope' and gave my 1800 to my son last August.
nearly ran it off a cliff when I overheated and my vision went foggy

Keep up the therapy like the doc says, it took me 6 months to get back to work after the semi truck took me out in Phoenix, AZ

then a year later, they sent me off to la la land with a retirement check.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Bob,,,,, man sad to read about your mishap!
Just getting over your knee replacement and Wham!!
Hope you've your recuperation goes smooth, the bike can wait.
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

Big Bob wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:43 am Saturday June 25 is a day I will never forget, I had a near fatal ATV crash. I have rode over 250 k on motorcycles, and this happened going less than 5 mph. I was smoothing out some ruts at the cabin left by a well digging truck, I was turning around in a narrow area close to the edge on a hill. The ATV has always been difficult shifting from forward to reverse and back, I was positive it was in forward...apparently it wasn't myself and 750# of ATV went backwards down the hill landing on me , it hit the cabin I landed on the hillside. My wife found me, got a neighbor who helped me get up the hill, car ride to local hospital to discover I had multiple damaged vertebrae and a broken rib. Couldn't get an ambulance to take me to the city, so after waiting over 2hrs they got me a helicopter 🚁 to Regions Hospital, a trauma center. Now I'm in a rehab center closer to home. I'll be out of work at least 12 weeks, lucky to be alive, and no more riding for this year. I am vigilant about my PT and OT for full recovery, best part so far no surgery, body brace sucks but part of recovery. I plan on riding my wing again!!! Thanks for reading, listening and prayers.

Bob
Holy cow! God was watching over you. You could have been pushing up daisies.
Follow the doctor's orders and get well, Bob.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Wow, that's some bad luck...but also some good luck in that it could have been so much worse. PT is the key, you'll be back on your feet soon.
Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
A pack of Super Cubs
Z50A (pre-headlight)
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

I notice that none of these other guys are suggesting that you DON'T DO THAT AGAIN, so I will.

Been racked up once or twice in my life. Made plans based on not recovering, then every bit of improvement was a blessing, and eventually I was back to my (ab)normal self.

So just take it slow, DO NOT think that you are the guy who recovers faster than the doctor expects (that is, comply with the timetable), and sooner than you think, you will look back and see how much progress you make.
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts and prayers, I am finally home, I have rented a hospital bed to make things a little easier for getting in and out of my brace. I was away from home almost 3 weeks. I now have PT and OT weekly and a follow up visit with a neurologist with more tests involved. My wife is my savior and nurse. Keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming, they help.

Bob
Bob Payette
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Hey Bob,, PROGRESS!! Happy your hm that's progress right there.
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

Thanks Sassy, being home is a step in the right direction!!🙏

Bob

Bob Payette