Where do they go?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Farmboy57
Motorcycle: 1990 GL 1500SE

2009 GL 1800 Airbag
2000 GL 1500 SE
2000 Valkyrie 1500
1984 GL 1200
1981 GL 1100

Where do they go?

Post by Farmboy57 »

Stuff disappears, I accept that. Here's a tale of the one that didn't get away. I added a fork brace to my '90 SE, and at the same time thought I would replace my damaged rotor covers. Adding a bolt to the brace it nudged the fork and.... disappeared, a quiet ' tick' the only clue left behind. After some searching it was found comfortably camouflaged nestled between the caliper and fork tube. Trying a second time I actually dropped it again(!!) but this time nowhere to be found. I spent a few minutes examining all areas around the fork, caliper assembly, disc, rim, under the bike, under the tire...cutting my loss, out I went to buy a small pack of them, but more on that in a second. On my return, and finaI exam of the work area, I saw a section of the bolt thread peeking out behind one of the weep holes in what I refer to as a short cosmetic wheel spoke. It had fallen behind the brake disk and slid down one of the hollow openings in the wheel hub. Dammit Jim! Couldn't get a magnetic tool in there, a flexible 'grabber' tool was useless, and cursing didn't move it. I found however that slowly rotating the wheel got it out... only to have it fall down into the next opening until the air valve blocked it and it was easily recovered. Stuffing a rag between disc and wheel for insurance I finished the brace install and buttoned everything up. Note. The bolt is 7mm. You will not find them in a store. I ended up at a Honda shop where a friend of mine got me a couple. I don't believe them proprietary but service depts are the only place to find them. The guy at Napa even suggested drilling and tapping the plate hole one size up! Anyway all is well, just thought I'd pass my little adventure along. Anyone else got one?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Where do they go?

Post by WingAdmin »

I dropped one of those awful mirror fastener "D" nuts that go on the inside of the GL1100 fairing to hold the mirror in place. I heard it "clank" as it hit the floor...but try as I might, I couldn't find it. I tried everything, magnet sweeper, lights shone sideways across the ground, I couldn't find it. I ended up replacing this rare nuts by gluing a standard hex nut to the inside of the fairing in its place.

A YEAR later I was taking the front wheel off the bike to change the tire, and right on the top of the front fender, in between the forks, surrounded by the fork brace was a small depression - and you guessed it, sitting wedged there in that depression was that D nut! I have no idea how it managed to stay there through a year of riding, but I picked it up, pried off the glued hex nut and put it back in its place!

Fork Brace
Fork Brace