2000 GW Aux Fuel Tank

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
ncdave
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

2000 GW Aux Fuel Tank

Post by ncdave »

just got it yesterday. pic doesn't show it, but I now have it plumbed into the tank with an extended fuel neck on the tank. I'll use this for long distance riding, but easily removable when I need to ride 2-up.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2000 GW Aux Fuel Tank

Post by WingAdmin »

Be careful filling it - gasoline dripped onto the seat will stain it permanently.

It looks about 3-4 gallons?
ncdave

Post by ncdave »

WingAdmin wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:37 am Be careful filling it - gasoline dripped onto the seat will stain it permanently.

It looks about 3-4 gallons?
thanks for the tip! I'm going to be carefully watching the connectors for leaks too.

it's 5 gallons. Still under the IBA restrictions of 11.5 gallons of fuel to participate in rallies.
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

ncdave wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:29 am thanks for the tip! I'm going to be carefully watching the connectors for leaks too.

it's 5 gallons. Still under the IBA restrictions of 11.5 gallons of fuel to participate in rallies.
I knew there was a reason behind this.
Don't the rules say you are supposed to have a registered stop every 350 miles? Or is that just for a certification ride, not a rally?

I keep wanting to to an Iron Butt, but need to get off mine to do it.
I even have an easy one planned out (Katy, Tx to Balmorhea, Tx and back to Katy, 1,051 miles, or more of a circular one)
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
ncdave

Post by ncdave »

blupupher wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:11 pm
ncdave wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:29 am thanks for the tip! I'm going to be carefully watching the connectors for leaks too.

I knew there was a reason behind this.
Don't the rules say you are supposed to have a registered stop every 350 miles? Or is that just for a certification ride, not a rally?

I keep wanting to to an Iron Butt, but need to get off mine to do it.
I even have an easy one planned out (Katy, Tx to Balmorhea, Tx and back to Katy, 1,051 miles, or more of a circular one)
realistically, at the speeds I'll travel, my bike is only going to get about 33 MPG. that'll put me safely between 325 and 350. Study some about the IBA submission rules though. There's a new electronic format based on spotwalla tracking. While you should try to make stops at turning points of your route, spotalla tracks much more granularly and given the electronic course it creates, it makes it easier for the IBA folks to validate your trip. it also includes the ability to embed receipt photos in the route, so they can see the receipts without having to send paperwork in. it's my first time doing this process so I'm interested to see how well it works (and if I don't screw something up! LOL)

BTW...it's quite reasonable to expect to make 1000 in 24. I've done it with up to 8 or 9 stops on a bike that only got about 120 to a tank. I'm trying to push my limits. my goal for later this year is to do a CC50 where time is more of a premium. minimized stops and minimized time during stops is very important. I did a 1500/24 last year and made it in 23 hours. while not a race, it was good practice in time management.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Cool tank - though I've done a fair number of IBA rides to date and so far, never needed aux fuel.

A brief diversion...
blupupher wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:11 pm I keep wanting to to an Iron Butt, but need to get off mine to do it.
An average speed of ~43.5 MPH for 23 hours. Most nOOb riders will accomplish in the 16 - 19 hour window.

Late September or early October are pretty nice times of year here in the southwest to do an IBA ride.

Rides I've done? Here's my list, and links to ride reports from all of them

https://kwthom.blogspot.com/p/iron-butt ... esume.html

Diversion complete...back to the thread topic!
ncdave

Post by ncdave »

I made it back from my recent SS1k.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/4d5c-2561c40b-02ac/view

did this one in 16:15. while it's not about speed, for this ride I wanted to test out a few things. first, minimize stop time. I carried drinks and energy bars. I have a drink holder on the handlebar to hydrate in route rather than at stops. Energy bars the same. I ate while riding.

I wanted to extend my range to minimize stops as well as stop times. I had a few mistakes on this trip, but was able to average around 250 miles, stopping once at the beginning, once at the end, and 3 times during the ride. my butt and legs needed a break at those distances, so it was a good trial run.

Without the aux tank, and based on my MPG, I was only getting about 170 on a tank of gas on the GW. the aux tank gave me an additional 130. That gives me a lot of cushion and flexibility as I work toward my 50CC.

I did a BBG last fall on a Concours 1000 and managed to complete the first 1000 miles of it in 14:45. I ended up at 23 hours overall. I wanted to try to replicate that time for this SS1k, but I had 1 self-induced 20 minute delay and another 30+ minute delay due to traffic in I-81 in WV.

all that said, my intentions here are to make the CC ride as efficiently as possible. given the limitations of fuel stops through the SW on I-10, I felt that the aux tank would give me a nice safety cushion, plus allow me to stretch stops. Several of the rides on your completed list are on my bucket list to do. After the 50CC, I want to do a 48/10 and would also like to try some back-to-back SS1Ks.

lots of background there, but I accomplished a few things and learned a few things along this trip. I'm going to do the SNAFU Rally in November and sometime this fall hope to do my 50CC as well. We'll just have to see how things plan out.
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

kwthom wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:02 pm..
An average speed of ~43.5 MPH for 23 hours. Most nOOb riders will accomplish in the 16 - 19 hour window.

Late September or early October are pretty nice times of year here in the southwest to do an IBA ride.
Yeah, I am not worried about making it in time.
I have a Texas Hill Country ride planned first week in October, so would probably be end of October if I was to do a Saddle Sore.
If I do the there and back on i-10, large portions of that are with speed limits of 75 to 80 MPH.
The issue there is fuel range. I had a stint from Sonora Tx to Kerrville Tx I rode last year, 114 miles, I got 25mpg on that stretch with speed limits at 80 MPH (but actual speeds probably 10 mph faster than that, which is a huge part of the issue).
On a good day I get 32mpg, but 29-30 is more realistic, so even if I use 5.5 gallons, 165 miles is my max range between fill ups.
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

The best tool in the toolbox is the app or the GPS screen that can show the average moving speed of any given ride.

Effective 07/02/2022, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.