Ready to Ride...(sigh) Finally

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
jjsinaz
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

Ready to Ride...(sigh) Finally

Post by jjsinaz »

Well folks, I just finished up the carb rebuild on my newly acquired 2000 GL1500. I now know what a heart surgeon goes through when performing an open heart surgery. :lol: Whew, what a job! the effort appears to have paid of though as she is running beautifully now.

I have to concur with those of you who recommend buying a higher mileage bike that has been ridden and maintained regularly. So far, here is what I've done to my low mileage "cream puff" :roll:

New Tires, changed final drive oil, driveshaft lube, timing belts, brake fluid flush, Coolant flush and replace, fork seals, progressive springs, steering head bearing lube and adjust, de-rust and clean gas tank, fuel filter, carb rebuild and engine oil/filter change and cleaned all of the sticky switches. If you think I've overlooked anything please feel free to speak up :lol:

Also have removed the heel-toe shifter and driver floor boards. While I loved these on the two previous bikes I have owned, I did not like the feel of either on the wing. The heel toe was too narrowly spaced for my foot and just felt clunky to be. I like the stock foot pegs and shifter much better. I do need highway pegs or boards and that will be my next investment.

It has been a lot of work but through the process I've gotten to know the bike inside and out and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of Honda. Hopefully, with regular maintenance I will now have years of trouble free enjoyment of this machine.

Cheers!

JJ

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Re: Ready to Ride...(sigh) Finally

Post by minimac »

That may seem like a lot of work, but it was all worth it. Besides gaining an "intimate" knowledge of the bike, you know the work was done and done right!