Stabil seems to work then!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Stabil seems to work then!

Post by Sadanorakman »

Let me start by saying I have no affiliation with the manufacturer at all, and will not profit from what I have written here.

I brought my 1991 SE home from Tenerife in October 2018 in a non running state, and filled the tank to the brim with fresh fuel to protect it from rusting. The bike remains a non runner to this day.

Gas here contained up to 5% ethanol at that time, and now you can still get 5%, but most has up to 10%

I dosed the 21 litres of gas with a little more than the stated quantity of marine stabil before it went in the tank, and there it has sat ever since. (Well until yesterday!)

I've never bought this product before, and to be honest, I was quite skeptical whether it could truly stabilise fuel with ethanol in it. Nevertheless I thought I'd buy a bottle, and give it a go.

Well yesterday, I extracted it all, filtered it into a couple of Jerry cans, then filtered it again into the tank of my 2000 gl1500 after first using a vacuum pump to completely empty the 2000's tank.

The new fuel I took out of the 2000 was a couple of weeks old, and light straw coloured; the 3yr 9month old fuel out of the 91 had quite a strong yellow/amber tint to it, but still smelled good.

Today I've done about 50 miles on this old fuel, stopping four times, switching off each time. The bike has run absolutely normally without skipping a beat. Didn't seem down on power, wasn't reluctant to start... All seems absolutely fine. I hit 85mph on a dual carriageway for a stretch, and the front wheel went a bit squirrelly when I changed lanes, which made me think it might be a bit low on pressure, but the bike ran fine all the time I was out. Note to self: order a fork brace!

Will ride the bike to work on Tuesday (90 mile round trip), but not expecting any problems.

I don't have any untreated gas the same age to compare with, so this is hardly scientific, but I can confirm that there's nothing seemingly wrong with this treated gas: There was no gelling, nothing separated in it, and it smelled fine too. When I went to empty the 91, it was still at the same brimmed-level as it was when I filled it,

Well all I can say is that this product has my vote!

Last edited by Sadanorakman on Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_wheeled
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800
2007 FJR1300AE
2000 XR650L

Re: Stabil seems to work then!

Post by two_wheeled »

Yes, agreed, Stabil DOES work. The red version is for regular gas vehicles and the blue/green version is for marine engines. The marine version is stronger.
I use Stabil religiously in my boat that has an inboard 5.0L engine because it tends to sit for 6-12 months at a time. In the last 10 years I've owned this old boat I have never had to rebuild the carb or clean out jets.
I try to use Stabil in my motorcycles too if I know they're going to sit for a while. Works great for making the lawnmower start too.
2000 GL1800A
2007 FJR1300AE
2000 XR650L
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

The main difference between red automotive Stabil and Marine Stabil is that the marine version off-gases from the surface of the gasoline, which coats the inside of the gas tank to prevent it from corroding.
two_wheeled
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800
2007 FJR1300AE
2000 XR650L

Post by two_wheeled »

I wasn't aware of that! Good info. Years ago I switched to buying only the marine version.
2000 GL1800A
2007 FJR1300AE
2000 XR650L
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

I went straight to the marine version, as it seemed more potent than the auto version.

I'm wondering though, why the blue colour of stabil ends up as gas with a strong yellow tinge after several years. Maybe it's just how it breaks down with time. Maybe gas radically changes colour with age anyway?
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: ,
1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

The very small amount of Stabil in a full tank doesn't change the color much. Stabil slows the oxidation of the fuel, but doesn't stop it completely. It still oxidizes some, and some more volatile components evaporate over time. So it still changes color.
In the fall, I fill the tank with non-oxy gas, add Stabil, and run it a bit to distribute that into the carbs and fuel lines. I don't try to drain the gas, because I believe you never quite get it all out, especially if you just run it dry instead of opening it up to truly drain it all. My Wing has 4 carbs... are they all going dry simultaneously ??
If a bike, car, or other equipment gas tank sits idle for too long, I syphon it out and use it my car (highly diluted with fresh gas). Then replace fresh gas in the stored equipment's tank. Full tanks, pumps, and carbs are less susceptible to water condensation, and corrosion.
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

Thanks for your reply, though not sure I agree with all of your logic; some, yes.

The blue stabil when mixed a little more than recommended gave a little aqua-marine tint to the fresh fuel, so it did colour the fuel a little.

I totally agree that the fuel will degrade somewhat over time, but how much of that is literally oxidisation, I'm not convinced, nor the more volatile compounds evaporating from a well-sealed tank.

I filled the tank to the brim, which is 21 litres, and there was only air remaining in the filler neck, maybe 50-100ml (or more correctly cm²) of which approx 20% is oxygen.
There was no visible difference in fuel level after 3 years 9 months, but then why would there be? The vent in the filler cap allows air to be drawn in as fuel is sucked out of the tank during use: It may let vapor out under pressure, but not normally. Also, can 10 to 20cm² of oxygen, really oxidise a whole 21ltrs of fuel? Happy to be corrected, but such a difference in quantities seems implausible to me.

As for your four carbs: The float-bowls are each vented to the air. If you switch off the fuel supply, and run the engine until it stalls, then sure there may be literally a few ml of fuel left in two or three of the float chambers, but that should evaporate over a few days through the natural vent to the open air. It's a few ml, not full float-bowl's-worth. This much reduced quantity of fuel is going to cause much less of an issue, i.e. leave much less lacquer residue behind when it evaporates, than if the whole float-bowl-full of fuel had to evaporate over winter.

Are you telling me there's still fuel in the bowls of your carbs after a three or four,-month winter lay-,up,? I'd be pretty surprised to find that is the case, unless you're in sub-arctic temps.

Please correct me if you think I'm wrong in any of my thinking.

Cheers