New to me 1982 GL1100I, raising it from the dead

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
kkibbie
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

New to me 1982 GL1100I, raising it from the dead

Post by kkibbie »

Just acquired an 82 GL1100 Interstate. First Honda ever. It was not running but would turn over. Fixed a short and had to straighten out a bunch of messed up wiring for the rear lighting. Couldn't believe they had tapped many of the wires to probably try to fix a problem only to comingle taillight, brake light and turn circuits. Everything was on all the time. Although front lights and headlights were fine. Running lights hadn't worked for 30 years according to the previous owner. Changed them to LED and ran them off the 4A fuse in the fairing.
I have flushed, radiator, changed plugs and oil, ripped out old CB and fixed additional wiring to the new radio that had been added and getting ready to adjust the valves. The CB removal was mainly to facilitate being able to remove the fairing by unplugging it. The antenna cable and rear intercom wiring was not designed to do that.

Issues that I'm still having:

1) The fan switch power wire is running directly to the accessory terminal on the fuse box. The accessory terminal does not have power when "on" all the time. The schematics shows it used to go to a 5 wire connector. Does anyone know where this connector is? I would like to splice the wire back into the original circuit. The fan does work when jumped and the switch does kick it on when it has power and engine is warmer.

2) Seems noisy in the front end. More so than the older Harleys I've had. Adjusting valves next to see how far off they are. Starts great but does seem to idle a little rough (not bad but not smooth) especially when cold after a warm up. Hoping I don't have to rebuild it.

3) If I let the clutch out slowly when pointing up hill (in the mountains right now) the drive train is jumpy like it's stuttering. Feels and sounds like up front. This is before I ride it. I have to park it on a little hill facing upward. When I park it, I have to ride it past my spot and roll back down. Doesn't seem to have a problem then that I remember. Wonder if the timing chain is stretched out, clutch warping or drive train issue.

4) Have to rebuild front brakes as left front pistons have seized twice after sitting overnight. The disk on that side had a little spike in it that I chipped off but has a groove in it in the same line. Could use it but should be replaced. Any good place to get the a disk?

5) Any place to get gasket material for the saddle bags and trunk?

Any help, thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Once running good, I'll tackle repainting and some upgrades. Just getting used to higher RPM and a drive shaft. Looking so forward to it all.

KK

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: New to me 1982 GL1100I, raising it from the dead

Post by DenverWinger »

kkibbie wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:07 pm 3) If I let the clutch out slowly when pointing up hill (in the mountains right now) the drive train is jumpy like it's stuttering. Feels and sounds like up front. This is before I ride it. I have to park it on a little hill facing upward. When I park it, I have to ride it past my spot and roll back down. Doesn't seem to have a problem then that I remember. Wonder if the timing chain is stretched out, clutch warping or drive train issue.
This bike doesn't have a timing chain, it has two cog belts driving the cams. Strongly recommend replacing them right away since they're probably 40 year old original belts, and this bike has been sitting a long time. This is an interference engine and if an antique belt breaks you will at minimum have a couple bent valves, and possibly holes in the pistons.

Gates brand belts (Gates is Honda OEM supplier) are available at nominal cost thru Amazon, your local auto parts store can get them but will cost twice as much.

Could be drive train, there's spline shafts connecting the driveshaft U-joint to the engine, another spline between the U-joint and the driveshaft, and yet another where the driveshaft joins to the pinion shaft in the final drive. And yet more splines where the wheel mounts to the final drive.

All of these should be lubricated with 60% or greater Molybdenum paste, you can get a small tube of 77% moly paste from Honda dealer. Kinda spendy but the little tube goes a long way.

If maintenance has been neglected on these joints, could be one of the spline connections is dry, worn out and jumping splines. You are likely needing a new rear tire, that would be the time to inspect and service the driveshaft and all the splines.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary numbers, and those that don't. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
kkibbie

Post by kkibbie »

Thanks Denverwinger for the fast response. Was just reading about timing belts on the website. I’ll order tomorrow.
New tires were put on a year ago. The previous owner was a minimalist on routine maintenance. So I’m sure nothing has been greased. Probably should pull the drive train apart and inspect it. Used to chain drives so this is all new to me. Did squirt some juice in the Zert.

Appreciate the info!
Kk
biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Post by biguns »

When they are running poorly the engine causes the primary chain to knock/slap around, this is normal and once it is running smoothly it will quiet up, change your oil with motorcycle rated or 15-40 diesel rated oil,, you want no friction modifiers in the oil it will make the clutch chatter.
Dor a compression test, bikes that sit can have vales hanging up especially if the gas was left on and the gas dumps into the cylinders mixes with carbon and makes a black goo.
Carbs I am sure need rebuilt at least looked at, they have cheap rebuild kits but I try and use the original hard parts just the orings gaskets, float seats and needles and accelerator pump out of the 30 dollar kits
Best to get a quality kit like K&L but they are 30-50 each carb, I take mine apart and see what is good and needed and go to cycle recycle Pt2 and buy individual parts,
Dont get me wrong, the 30 dollar kits have allot of good orings and parts, get one and start there.
kkibbie

Post by kkibbie »

Thanks Biguns
Good to know about the primary chain.
Never liked carb work. But as you suggested necessary. No compression tester up here. Have to try to borrow one.
Thought I'd run some seafoam in the oil and then change it. So appreciate the reminder. The plugs were gunky. Hadn't been changed in quite a while. SO probably gunked up. Been running a can of seafoam with the last two tanks. Hopefully cleans the cylinders too.

Thanks for the information.
KK
Earl43P
Motorcycle: 21 KTM390A
99 Valkyrie IS
04 Polaris Magnum 330

Post by Earl43P »

Nothing against SeaFoam, but I have gotten really good results using Berryman B12 in the fuel tank.
I've put a full can in 1/4 tank of gas to really get some cleaning action from the carbs. That's a heavier dose than the instructions on the can.
You'll smell it in the exhaust, but it won't affect the running (for anything but an improvement).

Might consider doing that and draining all the residue from the carb bowls once the B12 has been in there for a few starts/runs/rides.
When all else fails, RTFM!

21 KTM390A “Hootenanny”
99 Valkyrie Interstate, “Favorite”
82 GL1100 Sold 3/17 (miss that ticket getter)
93 GL1500I Sold 3/20 (Meh, but put 56k miles on it)
04 ST1300 Sold 4/22 (Fast, fun, never “loved” it)
kkibbie

Post by kkibbie »

Thanks Earl43P
Will google Berryman and pick some up.
KK