Riding after back/spine injury...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Riding after back/spine injury...

Post by Big Bob »

The end of June this year was and is so far the worst in my life. I have damaged 3 vertabrae and broken one rib. I'm currently wearing a back brace and a cervical collar. It only comes off at night when I'm in bed ready to sleep. This said today was my first followup at the nuerosurgical center so far all is healing well and NO surgery us planned or being discussed. I don't believe I will ever be able to tolerate long trips again, but has anyone here ever had serious back/spine injuries that contunued riding after recovery? I am doing light PT and OT plus daily excercising and walking. Talk to me and tell me your experiences.

Thanks,
Bob
Attachments

Pic #1
Pic #1

Pic#2
Pic#2

Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!
Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Re: Riding after back/spine injury...

Post by Sidcar »

I’ve not suffered spinal damage like you but did have in imploded disc between my 4th and 5th vertebrae which was agony until I had an operation to repair it. The agony is a thing of the past but still get bad back pain. To help me go long rides a took a standard back rest frame and modified it to take my custom built back rest. With this I can do a couple of hundred miles a day though it tends to be in 50-60 mile stints on a bad day but I’m riding that’s the main thing.
You might need to expand the pictures to see it.
Passengers have to option of sitting in the sidecar or walking.

Sid
Attachments

Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

Thanks for the reply Sid. Currently now I'm using only OTC pain meds and a muscle relaxer, with my neck and body/back brace. I don't plan on even attempting to sit on the bike until next spring. That will be 9 months of healing. Only time will tell...better suspension...a trike...or a Corvette...life is full of change, not all good just different!!

Bob
Bob Payette
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

Waaay back around 1982, I hurt my back lifting a firewood log that was way too big for me. Chiropractor's xray showed that a disc in my lower back had slipped off to one side and was pinching the nerves going to my left leg. I could hardly stand up without my wife's help.
However, if I could get my leg up and over the BMW motorcycle I had at the time, I could ride forever, pain free....until I had to stop and put my feet down. The chiropractor was amazed. Neither of us could explain it.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Post by biguns »

I`m the poster boy for this. I was paralyzed in 1979 in a M/C accident I regained movement after 2 years went back riding in 85` eventually worked in a physical job that ruined my spine had to get 2 rods bunch of screws and fusions in 1/3 of my spine after 4 years recovery I couldn't take not riding so I bought another bike, it actually helped build my core muscles holding myself upright as well as other low impact exercising like walking the dog etc. main thing is building up muscle to help hold your back upright , muscles will remain tense without you really thinking about it also try to keep the weight down, I am gaining weight and it is affecting my abilities , I really need to ride my pedal bike more.
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

Thanks for the responses, and still open to more! I'm not a very patient person but with this injury, i'm relearning that process. September 20th I have my 2nd CT scan, then a follow up to discuss my wearing the brace, or not. Riding the wing, boat, lawn mower, are all off the table for 2022. I'm out of work until the end of October, I will continue any and all PT and OT to help my recovery....

Bob
Bob Payette
Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 (sold),1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it), 2006 Goldwing GL1800 ,1992 Yamaha Virago (sold). 1982 Honda CB 900 custom

Post by Pam »

I have screws holding by vertabra apart in my lower back. I have no issues riding but a back rest makes a huge difference