Importing a bike from Canada (more than 25 years old)

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Bikin4fishin
Motorcycle: Looking at first GW purchase. Have a project bike that I don't have time to rebuild yet.

Importing a bike from Canada (more than 25 years old)

Post by Bikin4fishin »

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I'm both new (to forum) and old (57 is old?)

Anyone have any experience with buying a bike from Canada and bringing it to the US? The exchange rate makes it really attractive.
I'm looking at a '97 in really great shape in BC and bringing her down to WA state.
I understand there's an exemption for vehicles 25+ years old, but I'm sure there's some bureaucratic gotchas. Any advice/words of wisdom (yeah, I know that's a perfect setup line) ?

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Importing a bike from Canada (more than 25 years old)

Post by Rambozo »

Is the bike originally a Canadian or a US model? (KPH or MPH) Many of the Canadians on this site have US model GoldWings, so I guess it was pretty common to be going the other way.
Bikin4fishin
Motorcycle: Looking at first GW purchase. Have a project bike that I don't have time to rebuild yet.

Re: Importing a bike from Canada (more than 25 years old)

Post by Bikin4fishin »

Probably CDN. I haven't checked her out in person yet, and I'm waiting on a reply from the seller. The price and description on CL got my attention. I grew up in the area where the bike is listed and there's no shortage of Honda shops or Goldwings there.