Body English and front wheel wobble

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Body English and front wheel wobble

Post by Sadanorakman »

Not suggesting anyone does this, but:-

Been exploring my riding technique, self-critiquing and experimenting. Improving my slow riding in particular, but also concentrating on my cornering, lane positioning, clutch use etc ..

Last couple of rides on a quiet carriageway I've set my cruise at anywhere between 50 and 70mph, taken both hands off, and just adjusted my body position in the seat to affect steerage. Have followed long sweeping curves like this for several miles. Bike has been stable as a rock. Focussing on subtle weight shifts in the saddle to steer the bike.

Amazing also the immediate effect of pressing one finger very gently down on a handlebar grip, and seeing how much it leads the bike into or out of a lean, and of course the resulting turning moment.

Can't believe a bike as big and heavy as this, responds so beautifully to such subtle steering inputs. Instant counter-steer.

Gl1500 is 22yrs old, and only 11000 on the clock, with 1000 mile old cobra chrome's, so no cupping, and all bearings are good (wheel, head, swingarm).

Only time I've had any oscillation on the steering was a few weeks ago at high speed, with both hands on the grips: (It wasn't pretty!) It was a direct result of my front tyre being down at 33psi! (I thought it felt a bit vague at lower speeds, and had suspected low pressure). Returned it to 42, and the steering has been rock steady ever since!

Discuss ....

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Re: Body English and front wheel wobble

Post by offcenter »

I am amazed that Honda, in the owner's manual, recommends something like 35 pounds for the front tire.
Good God! The bike handles like a truck at that pressure. I normally run 41 pounds, and I notice immediately if the pressure drops to 39, or even 40.
Can't imagine how you didn't notice long before that.
At least you figured it out.
Ride on!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Re: Body English and front wheel wobble

Post by Sadanorakman »

offcenter wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:26 am I am amazed that Honda, in the owner's manual, recommends something like 35 pounds for the front tire.
Good God! The bike handles like a truck at that pressure. I normally run 41 pounds, and I notice immediately if the pressure drops to 39, or even 40.
Can't imagine how you didn't notice long before that.
At least you figured it out.
Ride on!
Hadn't ridden her for several weeks due to a sprained wrist, and the tyres are only about 3 months old (1000 miles), so maybe the pressure drop was due to them breaking in.
Like a fool, I didn't check tyre pressures before I headed out. Must have already been a little low the previous ride, but I hadn't noticed. This time, I'd noticed the front was a bit soft/vague, then got hit with the wobble at speed as I changed lanes.

Lesson learned!