Time to install some peace of mind.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Time to install some peace of mind.

Post by Sadanorakman »

My battery was an unknown quantity when I bought my 2000SE earlier this year, so I've been carrying my Noco Lithium Jump Starter 'just in case'.

I have a voltmeter fitted, which I keep an eye on. The battery volts have generally been acceptable, and the bike's alternator seems to be working well.

My frst suspicion regarding the battery was when she struggled to start after leaving the stereo on for maybe 20 minutes at home. The battery had dipped below 12V with the radio running, but I hadn't ridden her for a couple of weeks, so I didn't condemn the battery at that point. (Bike has a 20 year old alarm/immobilizer which slowly drains the battery).

2nd time I was less lucky: Stopped for fuel, and left my driving lights switched on whilst filling the tank, maybe four or five minutes absolute max= rapid click,click,click of the solenoid, 10V, and no start: The lithium booster soon got me out of trouble though!

Yesterday therefore, it was an appropriate time to install some peace of mind, in the form of a Motobatt AGM:

Ignore the rubber boot on the positive side; I've got to add my battery tender pigtail and sort out a couple of accessory cables that are stopping the boot from seating properly.

I will keep the booster in my pannier, just in case I need it to help others. I might wire it's 12V charger in permanently, so when the bike is running, it will keep it topped up.

I've also picked up a battery tester, so I can check out the condition of the batteries on our two cars (CCA) before winter arrives.

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE

Re: Time to install some peace of mind.

Post by blupupher »

If you wire the booster in to charge, just make sure it is charging only when key is on, lithium ion does not like being charged all the time.

I have several of those boosters (one in every vehicle actually) and had debated hard wiring them to charge, but instead decided to just set a reminder on my phone to charge them every 6 months. They are usually at least 3/4 charged, so just a few hours tops them up.
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Re: Time to install some peace of mind.

Post by Sadanorakman »

blupupher wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:02 pm If you wire the booster in to charge, just make sure it is charging only when key is on, lithium ion does not like being charged all the time.

I have several of those boosters (one in every vehicle actually) and had debated hard wiring them to charge, but instead decided to just set a reminder on my phone to charge them every 6 months. They are usually at least 3/4 charged, so just a few hours tops them up.
Agreed blupupher. It would be off of an ignition-switched auxiliary circuit if I do end-up doing this. I currently use my brain to remind me to top-up the charge every few months, along with my several lithium 18650-celled flashlights, and a 30W lithium work lamp I carry in my car: They all get done about 3 times per year, and always following use.

These jumper packs normally contain 3 identical lithium-ion pouch cells, each constructed in a manner that gives modest capacity, but very high instantaneous current delivery. The three cells are wired in series to obtain sufficient voltage (just over 12V), and normally have a dc-dc step-up charging circuit with a basic BMC to balance the charge between the three cells. This is how they can be charged from a 5V USB input.

I would hope that Noco (,being one of the higher quality, and more expensive brands) have decent quality electronics, with excellent charge balancing and termination.

Whether the pack will have a longer lifespan charged periodically, as opposed to kept on float charge every time the bike runs? ...Probably the prior.