To salvage or not to salvage

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
CruiseControl
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

To salvage or not to salvage

Post by CruiseControl »

I usually search for related topics before I post. I need to get things started. I'll search later.

Bike: 2007 GL1800 w/ sound and Navi, 75K miles
Wreck: deer strike at 50MPH, front wheel went under deer's belly, I stopped upright with a lot fewer parts on my Wing than before I hit the deer.

Problems:
1) My Wing won't start. Turns over just fine but doesn't spark. I notice a device under the headlights that has wires ripped away. Is that some kind of kill-switch in the event of a crash? Any idea what needs to be done to cause my Wing to start to prove it can run again?
2) Insurance says it's a total loss. They allowed $3K for aftermarket parts. Offering $11K payout (after $1K deductible). I can salvage for $4K. I like my Wing. If I cannot get her running again, I'll probably buy another 1st gen GL1800, which would mean the parts on my Wing would be compatible. What is your thinking on whether I should pay the salvage?

I'm a good mechanic so I can probably repair most of my Wing myself. However, I may not have some necessary tools, e.g., electronics that could reset whatever "computer" is on the bike. I'm rural so I'm a long way from a bike shop to "rent" tools. Also, it may be difficult to acquire all of the body work. There is an identical-twin to my Wing with 54K miles for sale about 100 miles away. $8500

Decisions, decisions. FWIW, I'm leaning towards paying the salvage and figuring out what to do after that.

FYI, the only damage I personally sustained was a minor tenderness on my left calf where a part of the deer struck it. I tend to think of a Wing the way people think of Subarus... [a photo of a mangled car] caption "Nobody was hurt. That's why we'll buy another Subaru."

Thanks for listening and sharing your ideas.
Randy
Attachments

Shows the wires that are ripped away
Shows the wires that are ripped away

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2021 GL1800 DCT
2016 GL1800 (traded in)
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Re: To salvage or not to salvage

Post by raven41951 »

I had a total loss quite a few years ago but that argument was with a brand new 1970 Chevy Caprice, head on at 30 mph. Bike (305 Superhawk) was totaled but I loved that bike so I fixed it. Found a frame and most of the front end parts I needed at reasonable cost (took 10 years to settle the lawsuit so I was on my own). It work ok but it was never quite the same.

If I had it to do over again, I would say bye to it and move on.
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Have you thought about doing both?
I probably older than you so riding is the priority for me while I still can.
In your shoes Id think about getting a replacement bike so I can ride and start on the "project bike".
That way you could sell which ever bike after repairs are made, miss no riding and learn a ton about your bike.
Just a thought.
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Post by joecoolsuncle »

chances are, your bike has more damage than you can see, and you will spend a ton of money to find out. throw it away, its not worth anything unless you are a glutten for punishment. buy another bike that needs zero work, take that 4k you wanna blow and ride across country for a month!
Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Post by Ghostman »

I would sit down and look for parts and check prices to get an idea of the cost of what youre getting into. The plastics on a wing arent cheap and right now some parts from Honda are back ordered so if this is a love of labor go for it. But if youre hoping to possibly resell in the future I believe you wont make much if anything on it. I would take the money buy another bike and enjoy my time riding instead of wrenching.
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Post by blupupher »

It is a thing.
You say you can buy an identical thing for $8,500.
You are getting $11,000 for your old, broken thing.

Buy the identical thing and have an extra $2,500 in your pocket to farkle up the new thing.
Plus you can start riding again immediately.

Only reason to buy the old bike back is if you have more than $4,000 in parts/accessories on it you can pull and use/sell within a reasonable time frame.
You are not going to get the old bike fixed up into safe rideable condition. The insurance totaled it for a reason.
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

The other thing to consider is that parts for that era GL1800 are starting to become less available from Honda as their store of parts dwindles, and you're left with sourcing them (if available) from bike breakers and eBay.
CruiseControl
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Post by CruiseControl »

Awesome ideas from everyone. Much appreciated.

@Sassy. I'm 62. Many people are older than that and you could be one of them. As far as riding priorities, mine is: if I can't ride, just shoot me dead... no point in going on living. :shock:

I have other bikes. But the 70K miles I put on this bike have been the most pleasant. I really like this bike and am sad it doesn't run. I bought a battery for my '95 K1100 LT so I could keep riding until the decision was made. It's just not the same. The smooth ride of 1800cc versus the vibration of 1100cc. My '80 Pacific Coast is at my other house. I might drag that back here for more enjoyable riding. Even at 800cc it seems smoother than the Beemer. I don't know how I managed to ride the Beemer for 102,000 miles.

They calculated $7,600 in parts for a repair, $9,500 total estimate. I can't be sure why it was declared a total loss. But that probably had something to do with it. I suspect they had some unnecessary parts listed for CYA. As far as body parts, anyone seen a "naked" Wing? :lol:
The idea of finding parts is concerning. And those "gotchas" about what isn't visible but need repair are a good point.
They determined $4200 of accessories. I'm not sure that's accurate. But with things like Centramatic balancers and a CB, plus credit for just having recovered the seat, things add up. Either way, I maxed out the $3,000 they'd cover for accessories.

I have decided that I'm buying the salvage. I will likely buy another 1st Gen Wing and will likely use some of the parts and accessories off mine. Unfortunately, a few of the highest ranked options that I found for replacement while waiting on insurance to make a decision aren't listed for sale now. While I continue my search, I want to figure out why mine won't start, take her for a short ride then figure out next steps. With my luck by the time I get my schtuff figured out, they'll have come out with a meaningful electric touring motorcycle, and I'll be $4000 short of being able to afford it. :lol:

Thanks for providing your perspectives. It really helped.
Randy
DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ »

Usually the adjuster has a formula based on "X" percentage of value, using KBB or NADA. Most likely your Wing's repair cost is more than that value. And remember, this doesn't even cover what that mechanic would discover as the repairs were done.

IMO, I'd take the money amd get the replacement.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Another option that wasn't mentioned. Let it go to the insurance auction then go bid on it. It's a gamble, but you would be surprised at how low a crashed bike can go. That it doesn't run right now is a plus. You could very well be the only bidder.
Fabin
Motorcycle: '95 Goldwing SE

Post by Fabin »

Where can you find insurance auctions in your states?
finnrider
Motorcycle: 2014 Can Am Spyder RTS
2005 GL1800A (sold in 2014)

Post by finnrider »

I don't understand why you're questioning the insurance company's decision to total the bike. You said total for repair, not counting accessories, is $9700. That's about what the market value for a good clean running bike like yours is. Of course they'll total it when repair is near the market value of an undamaged bike.

Forget buying the salvage. You would probably never need to scavenge enough parts off it to save any money in the long run. You may be falling into the same trap many owners who are selling their bikes do, that is they think their bike is worth a lot more than what the pricing guides suggest.
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

Let it go, too much work and there’s too many nice wings out there just waiting for a new owner.
PBBurnham
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by PBBurnham »

I'm with the group on this. I fixed a lightly collided GL1800 for a friend. There were so many broken tabs, bent or broken mounts and some tabs were broken on the piece that hit the piece, that hit the next piece. In the end almost none of the plastics were good. It seems you have a good settlement and a good used bike to purchase. And $4000 seems like a lot for a crashed Wing. If you really want a project, or you really have an un breakable attachment to your old bike then I understand. And you might get lucky on the mechanical part. You will not get lucky on the plastics. Good luck, PB.
rick457
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500k Goldwing

Post by rick457 »

Rebuilding bike will cost more than the insurance payout! Part out the bike if you want but take the money and buy another bike!!
luck
Motorcycle: 1993 aspencade gl 1500 (sold)
2002 gl 1800 hannigan trike

Post by luck »

When the mention rebuilt is indicated on the gray card of the motorcycle the resale value drops enormously, it is something to consider as well.
toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS, level 3
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by toanogreen »

blupupher wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:41 am It is a thing.
You say you can buy an identical thing for $8,500.
You are getting $11,000 for your old, broken thing.

Buy the identical thing and have an extra $2,500 in your pocket to farkle up the new thing.
Plus you can start riding again immediately.

Only reason to buy the old bike back is if you have more than $4,000 in parts/accessories on it you can pull and use/sell within a reasonable time frame.
You are not going to get the old bike fixed up into safe rideable condition. The insurance totaled it for a reason.
I agree 100%. There are plenty of other "things" (Wings) out there just as good if not better. They may be even cheaper, and definitely have much less hassle than the time and cost of trying to repair something pretty broken and beat up. One thing you will never replace is time, so don't waste it trying to relive (or revive) something that will never be the same. Just my opinion.

Ex: I have a friend who had an accident (2007 Wing). He was pulling his trailer at the time, which only received a little bend of the toungue. The insurance company totaled the bike and the trailer. He received enough to purchase a newer bike with more accessories, plus a trailer (package deal), plus enough to have it shipped from Texas to Virginia. Then he fixed the original trailer. All within one month. It's his new "thing"!
Last edited by toanogreen on Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stratosboat1
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing Level 1

Post by stratosboat1 »

Take the money and run and buy a new one. Who knows what damage is done that you can't see. Forks look okay but I wouldnt bet my life on them.
DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ »

rick457 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:05 am Rebuilding bike will cost more than the insurance payout! Part out the bike if you want but take the money and buy another bike!!
If he takes the payout, he can't part the bike out as the insurance company would own it and take it.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.
Bulletsareus
Motorcycle: 2001 GW 1800,Bmw 1150GSA,Aprilia 09 Tuono

Post by Bulletsareus »

Salvage it ! It will never be right ! Sudden stoppage on the engine & transmission may have caused damage you can’t see and frame may be out of alignment…. Go get you another nice clean accident free bike …

Bulletsareus …
The Original Eggman
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800
2007 V Star 650
2014 CTX700DCT
2018 Vulcan S
1991 Voyager XII

Post by The Original Eggman »

Insurance totals a bike because it cost more to fix it (Parts and Labor) and the market says it is worth. If your going to fix it yourself then you can deduct the cost of labor. My girlfriend has a CTX 700 DCT trike which looks like a mini Goldwing and was hit by a Ram (Animal not truck). She was under insured and the insurance company wanted to total it. I think it ended up costing us $50 more than what the Insurance company gave us for it but I did add to and upgraded several items. However, the Goldwing has more parts than a Honda Automobile, but 99% of them are still available. As for it cranking but not starting, I bet its the tip over switch. Its located behind/beside the headlight on the curb side of the bike. Here is a YouTube that shows you and your bike is damaged right where it is.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

I wrecked my '04 Goldwing in California and I live in Texas. Insurance gave me $9K and there was a '02 available with less mileage for $3K in my home town. I got the '02 and farkled it up. If I wrecked close to home and were able to go get it. I might have repaired it. I have had my wing pretty much disassembled from time to time putting in a new windshield, radiator, starter, rear shock, spring and braided hydraulic line for the preload. All the plastics connect together and are held in place with the metal Cowl Stay. Don't throw anything away until you have everything back together. Take photos and put any screws etc in separate zip lock bags. Other than the Cowl Stay and the broken plastics, I only had to buy the few screws rebuilding my girlfriends bike that were in parts not recovered. Use the exploded views from Parts Fish or others to see what should be there. You can also find used parts on line. We took less money to keep from having a salvage title too. Good Luck.
TheChief
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing Aspencade SE GL-1500, 2000 Goldwing GL-1500 SE.

Post by TheChief »

Take the money and run. I understand the sentimental value of your bike, but the insurance payout seems like a fair amount. In fact, the only way to make out from an accident is if someone hit you and you were injured. Back in the day I helped a friend "restore" a Harley that was totaled when he dumped it. We worked on it for 6 months straight and never did get it exactly right. He finally gave up, parted it out and bought another bike. In July of 2020 on my 69th birthday, my wife and I were hit by a pickup with a drunk driver at the wheel. I got a broken collar bone and three broken ribs. My wife was thrown off and got some minor bumps and a couple of bruises. My beautiful 2000 GL1500 SE/Voyager trike with less than 50,000 miles on it was a total loss. My insurance company gave me just over book. We contacted a motorcycle injury lawyer. He got my wife a nice settlement and filed a personal injury law suite for me. Fast forward 28 months. My law suite finally settled for a nice sum that let me buy a 2015 GL1800 Roadsmith trike conversion with a whole lot of cash left over.
Attachments

2015 GL1800  AKA "Miss Behavin'"
2015 GL1800 AKA "Miss Behavin'"

2000 Gl1500 Voyager
2000 Gl1500 Voyager