Got a goldwing for free!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
drakebling
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Got a goldwing for free!

Post by drakebling »

Hey guys! Excited new Goldwing owner here. My dad had a buddy who somehow got a goldwing pieced out in his attic. Said he was moving out soon and had to get all his stuff out, thats when he told me he still had the title, and if i could get it out of the attic then i could have it title and all, long storry short and hours later, i now own a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade. But there are a few parts missing, Rear Axel, back seat rest, fairing accents etc.

Where do you guys think i should start? Im just totally lost here, i have never owned a motorcycle. Where is the best place to get parts? What do i look out for damage wise? Are there any red flags? Just really looking for any advice you guys could have for a fresh face like me, thanks in advance guys, look forward to being a part of the community.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Got a goldwing for free!

Post by Andy Cote »

Welcome to the forum.

1) Buy a service manual; Honda preferred but Clymer or Haynes will do for now. Read cover to cover.
2) Buy an Owner's manual. Read cover to cover.
3) Read this forum in its entirety - well at least threads regarding GL1000, GL1100 and GL1200
4) there is another forum with old goldwing information. Ditto above
5) there is a third forum focused on "naked" gold wings. Ditto above.

You back? Now we can get started. :D

Seriously, if you have little experience with this type of restoration, this can be a life changer. That far disassembled just means starting with the frame and rebuilding one area at a time. Expect to undo some things because they were done in the wrong sequence or you found a better solution later on. It can give you a whole new appreciation for mechanical and electrical and perhaps structural engineering. It will be a labor of love. You will never sell it for the amount of money spent on parts, let alone recoup anything for your own labor. In addition to learning all things motorcycle, you will learn some new lingo and dialect; some of which is NSFW.

Honda has been nice enough to provide all their dealers (including online parts dealers) with Adobe versions (.pdf) of their original isometric exploded parts drawings and parts lists. Not only do these show the part number and description for everything, they show how it all fits together. Cyclemax, Honda Direct Line and Partzilla have these on their web sites.

Whatever you do, never but from Saber Cycle.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

"Whatever you do, never but from Saber Cycle."

Should say: Whatever you do, never buy from Saber Cycle.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: ,
1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

GoldWing in the attic ??? It's obviously in pieces... lots of pieces.
I restored a 1980, long neglected and stored in a corn crib. But low mileage, and nearly all the parts were there. Lots of help from these forums. Just to help you estimate the effort, I brought mine into my basement (walkout style) and took about 6 months, over the winter. I spent about $1200 in parts, and 200 -300 hours. All those hours were NOT tool-in-hand. Most were research and procurement. Carbs were the biggest challenge, but completed successfully. All"soft" parts... belts, hoses, tires, gas lines, etc. replaced. The experience gave me confidence in ownership as I know what every part does, where it's located, how to get if off/on, etc. Well worth the effort. It's been 4 years now and I love the bike. I had prior bikes in my youth, but never one this big. As an 81 yr old, the Wing was a challenge for me, especially at low speed maneuvers. It is NOT a beginner's bike! I suggest getting a running 250cc bike to ride while the Wing is in process. Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Post by joecoolsuncle »

first step? make sure vin on bike matches title.
second step, find the reason(s) the bike was torn down and hoisted into an attic. thats just fishy as san francisco!
third step. research costs of known repairs necessary to restore an old wing.

then, 4th step, head to the beer store and harbor freight!!! lol

good luck, i am in the end stages of a 1984 gl1200 resto myself. dont buy tires until you hear it run,shift,charge!

Merry Christmas!
drakebling
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by drakebling »

joecoolsuncle wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:19 pm first step? make sure vin on bike matches title.
second step, find the reason(s) the bike was torn down and hoisted into an attic. thats just fishy as san francisco!
third step. research costs of known repairs necessary to restore an old wing.

then, 4th step, head to the beer store and harbor freight!!! lol

good luck, i am in the end stages of a 1984 gl1200 resto myself. dont buy tires until you hear it run,shift,charge!

Merry Christmas!
Yes! The vin does match the title!

The previous owner built 2 84' goldwings with his dad, they had bought 2 other bikes for parts, (four bikes in total) the bike i have is an amalgamation of the 2 remaining parts bikes, i have some green body pieces and black body pieces, fairing is black. Since the bike was a parts bike im missing a few of the more expensive pieces, like my backrests and armrests, the seat is the old shot seat they replaced, stitches are busted and such. I also have doubles of some pieces (2 starters) also already have a really nice set of tires!
OldguyGlen wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:58 pm GoldWing in the attic ??? It's obviously in pieces... lots of pieces.
I restored a 1980, long neglected and stored in a corn crib. But low mileage, and nearly all the parts were there. Lots of help from these forums. Just to help you estimate the effort, I brought mine into my basement (walkout style) and took about 6 months, over the winter. I spent about $1200 in parts, and 200 -300 hours. All those hours were NOT tool-in-hand. Most were research and procurement. Carbs were the biggest challenge, but completed successfully. All"soft" parts... belts, hoses, tires, gas lines, etc. replaced. The experience gave me confidence in ownership as I know what every part does, where it's located, how to get if off/on, etc. Well worth the effort. It's been 4 years now and I love the bike. I had prior bikes in my youth, but never one this big. As an 81 yr old, the Wing was a challenge for me, especially at low speed maneuvers. It is NOT a beginner's bike! I suggest getting a running 250cc bike to ride while the Wing is in process. Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
Thank you! Thankfully my father is already a rider and is teaching my how not to die a horrible death while riding, he has a spare nighthawk im riding in the meantime. Also most of my chrome/body pieces are already shot. So if i lay her down practicing its not the end of the world.

the engine is in overall prime condition, runs very smooth yet im still going to replace the soft parts as mentioned

Yes, its in a quadrillion pieces.

My dad and me are both pretty big guys, would that affect my ability to ride a goldwing?
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: ,
1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

Sounds like you are evaluating the situation with reasonable expectations, even though it looks like a major project. Practice on the Nighthawk. A Wing is very heavy, hence the need to pay attention to slow speed maneuvers. Once you are rolling, it drives itself and weight is no problem. If you are a big guy, then strength isn't a problem either. If you can "flat foot" both feet astride the bike you'll be all right. Check those tires for age. They can have good tread and still be age rotted. If the sidewalls start cracking then trash 'em. Keep us posted. We love seeing these bikes rolling again.
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Welcome to the forum and to the wing drakebling

Keep practicing on your dad's bike until you get the confidence of riding while you're putting the wing together.
As to where to get parts... most bodywork are discontinued from Honda so used will be from motorcycle salvage yards, feebay, local sellers.
You can still get a lot of the soft parts new from Honda. Be ware of aftermarket carb brass parts. Stick with the Keihin brass parts.
And as Andy said, stay away from Saber cycle.....bad news with them over the years. Junk parts and worse customer service.

Bookmark the How to articles on the top of the page. Lots of help there.
The best to you on your project. I did it on an 83 gl1100 Aspencade though it was @ 80% together, I still stripped it down further. It took me 3 months to get it to the point of test riding it. Once on the road, I put 26,500 miles on it in the 1st year and a half.
Take your time on it.
Merry Christmas
Attachments