Would you do this trade? My 89 for a 96.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1996 1500 Goldwing, CSC sidecar

Would you do this trade? My 89 for a 96.

Post by Quick Cal »

My friend bought a nice 96 Aspencade with a tow pac insta-trike kit. Trike kit not attached. He paid $2,500 for it. It has 110k on it. Beautiful green color. He has not even rode the bike yet and due to health reasons has decided he is done with riding. He said if I wanted it I could sell my 89 and just give him his money back.

There's pro's and con's to each bike. I think I would want to take all my good parts off my 89 and put on the 96, assuming all will fit? I'll try to list what all has been done or need on each. I know it would be a lot of work. But I have lots of time and NO MONEY,,,,lol. This trade would be about my only way into a newer, nicer bike.

So here's the details.

My89.

Runs pretty good
Needs carbs rebuilt
Has that 89 surging idle that probably won't go away
Bike has 70k
Needs timing belts done
Has new Moto batt
Has new E4 tires with less than 500 miles on them
Has Pepi's shift shaft mod
Has blackwing brace
Rebuilt air shock
Rebuilt rear and left front brake caliper. Still can't get good rear brakes. Needs more work
Front brake needs work
OEM radio with rear speakers with fade control
Swapped out front forks for good ones
Upgraded lower led driving lights
Needs all other lights ungraded
Nice quiet exhaust, no leaks
Paint is just fair. Trunk lid is a shade off and busted. Needs replaced
I added spoiler. It's a shade off
Clunks when shifted
I was just in the middle of setting up a sidecar. All brackets are mounted to bike
Sidecar color is a shade off.
Lots of scratches and minor issues with paint on bike and sidecar
I would not paint anything. Looks good enough for me and my dog,,,lol.
Has a Bustech trailer hitch and wiring

That's all I can think of right now. But you get the jest of it.

So his 96.

Beautiful green paint. Only one scratch across the saddle bag is all I've seen.
Runs great
110k miles
Had timing belts done twice. Might be a red flag. Why twice. The guy said it didn't run when he got it.
New water pump
He said he rebuilt the carbs
Shifts butter smooth
New DB Electronics alt
Upgraded lower led driving lights
All lights upgraded to led including headlight
New Moto batt
Tires are ok but follow road snakes. I would want to swap tires/wheels
Has an exhaust leak. Kinda rusty under there. I hope I could swap mine over.
Has all the wind wings including rear passenger big windshield maybe. Don't know what it's called.
OEM radio sounds like crap. No rear speakers. Hope I could swap mine over
Sits low. I think air shock is shot? Can't rebuild 96? I would swap?
Forks seem spongy. Might swap?
Leaking shift fork seal. Would do Pepi kit. Might use mine for the $70
After riding it home 60 miles, there was a couple drips of anti-freeze on the ground next morning. I've pulled all plastic off and can not find a leak. Let it idle for 1 hour. No leak. Drove it about 1 hour. Still no leak. I do smell anti-freeze. I'm wondering if it's just from working on it and filling? Red flag here.
It had what seemed like a clutch shudder 2 different times when I first took off. I can not repeat it.
It sometimes has a front brake shudder when coming to a slow stop. Is this my clutch shudder? If it's a clutch shudder this is a red flag?

This bike's paint is so good I would want to paint my maroon sidecar to match,,,, at some point in time.

That's all I can think of right now. I can sell the trike kit to get funds for any work I need to do.

So would you guys do the trade? Or am crazy for wanting to go through all this work.

The pic below is just for reference. Not the actual bike.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Would you do this trade? My 89 for a 96.

Post by Rambozo »

88-89 had a different rear wheel. I think to swap you would have to swap more than just the wheel and it would forever bite you when ordering parts.
Five drive pins vs six.
Best way to locate coolant leaks is to pressurize the system to the cap relief pressure.
Seems like a coin toss. But it sounds like the 96 might be in better shape, overall.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

If you can get the money you need from your bike, I would sell it and get the 96. Don't take all the pluses off the 89 as you want to have some good selling points/value.

Sell the trike kit, especially if you are adding the hack. Buy new tires. Forget the radio and invest in Bluetooth headset (connect to smart phone).
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Quick Cal

Post by Quick Cal »

Thanks for the advise so far. Keep it coming.

Is there a write up anywhere how to do the pressure test for leaks?
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

I'd add that the 96 came with the more robust Valkyrie transmission, not that all the pre-96 transmissions are doomed to fail.

Also certain repair parts are more scarce for 88-89 models as they're somewhat different animals than the 90-91 and more changes in 92-00 models.

You mentioned timing belts changed twice on the 96. If it runs great as you say, I'd say twice changed on the belt was good maint, probably overkill. But nothing to be concerned about.

89 carbs are different from the 90-00 and probably harder to get parts for.

The 96 stereo is a good unit if it works right, crappy sound can be fixed by speakers. Likely the same stereo head you have in your 89 if it has cassette.

As stated above, don't try to swap rear wheel. Maybe tires, but not the wheel.

My '93 likes to drip coolant sometimes if it has been sitting a while, but after running a while the leak goes away never to be seen again until it has been sitting in cold weather again. Many 1500 owners have said same thing. Seems common. But if you find drips during riding season then you need to dig deeper and fix.

Trailer hitch, shifter brace, fork brace, rear speakers, driving lights, rebuilt air shock, good exhaust all add value to your 89, unlike chrome farkles. These can all be transferred to the '96, but subtract from selling points on the 89, you will need to decide which upgrades to keep (swap) and which to leave on the 89 to add value.

Or maybe just keep the 89..... You have a lot to think about, I added my 2¢ :)
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Quick Cal wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:27 pm Is there a write up anywhere how to do the pressure test for leaks?
You use a cooling system pressure tester. Make sure the system is completely full. Pump up the system until it reads the cap relief pressure .9 bar (13 psi). Look for leaks. Most of the time you can do this while everything is cold and not running. No burns that way. Tough leaks might require starting the engine and getting some heat in it before the leak will show itself. You can often rent or borrow the tester from some auto parts stores. I have a good set from Stant and a cheap set from Harbor Freight, both work about the same. Amazon has them as well.
heus
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing SE

Post by heus »

Could you swap the plastics between the two bikes? Otherwise I would just keep the '89. And I thought 97 was the first year of the Valkyrie transmission?
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

heus wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:21 am Could you swap the plastics between the two bikes? Otherwise I would just keep the '89. And I thought 97 was the first year of the Valkyrie transmission?
Plastic interchanges all years. And I think you're right, 96 was the year of the Chinese OEM alternators (he said it has aftermarket) and 97 was the transmission upgrade. :oops:
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
Quick Cal

Post by Quick Cal »

heus wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:21 am Could you swap the plastics between the two bikes? Otherwise I would just keep the '89. And I thought 97 was the first year of the Valkyrie transmission?

What's your thinking on why to keep the 89 over the 96? Is it just the 40k less miles?
Quick Cal

Post by Quick Cal »

DenverWinger wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:56 am
Plastic interchanges all years. And I think you're right, 96 was the year of the Chinese OEM alternators (he said it has aftermarket) and 97 was the transmission upgrade. :oops:
Not that it matters, but this came with a spare oem alt. I don't know if it's good or bad. I don't know if it's even the one that came off this bike. It has the green band on it. Weren't those supposed to be the older, better ones?
heus
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing SE

Post by heus »

Quick Cal wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:47 am

What's your thinking on why to keep the 89 over the 96? Is it just the 40k less miles?
I just feel like he knows his current bike's faults, but really likes the color of the 96. Alot of unknowns and more miles on the 96. Yes, if they were the same, I would rather have the 96.
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
1995 Helix
2002 Reflex
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

Timing belts should be done every 50K miles, that's why it's been done twice.