LED lights - Lifetime?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

LED lights - Lifetime?

Post by DenverWinger »

So I'm sitting here on a Saturday Night, perusing the forum and enjoying a beer. My bladder decided I need to drain a "used" beer before I get another. So I go to the appropriate place to do that.

Bathroom has a light fixture which holds 6 bulbs. When I bought the house there were six 60 watt incandescent bulbs in it. Time goes on and out come the curly-tube fluorescent bulbs, as the incandescent bulbs burned out I replaced them with curly-tubes. The original fluorescent bulbs had a bad color tone, I didn't like them. but they got better. And then came the household "new" LED bulbs that are supposed to last a "Lifetime". So dead curly-tubes got replaced with LED.

So fast-forward to Today, I'm in the bathroom, turn on the light, kinda dim in there, and look at the fixture. The one remaining incandescent light is still working, and only one of the LED's. The last remaining Curly bulb has died, and there's one more LED bulb flickering and trying to come on, but just can't quite stay on. The other three bulbs (all LED) are completely dead. So time to take the glass shade off and replace four of six bulbs, three of them LED bulbs that are less than 5 years old, in fact two of them changed out only 2 yrs ago. :evil:

This is the bathroom where lights get switched on and off many times during the day. Vehicle bulbs don't get cycled that much.

Been 5 years or so that we can get LED vehicle bulbs. So now that we're changing out incandescent lights in our bikes to LED, how many unexpected failures have we had?

My 1100 is still 100% incandescent, the 1500 only has LED strips in the saddlebag/trunk side lights, 50 watt LED cornering bulbs always on, and 2 yrs ago I added the "5-flash-then on" LED brake light bulbs in the trunk. Everything else is still OEM incandescent. No fails yet, but......?

What's your experience with the NEW LED bulbs?

Last edited by DenverWinger on Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Re: LED lights - Lifetime?

Post by offcenter »

I switched my bike over to all LEDs a few years ago.
Don't believe the stuff about them lasting a lifetime.
I've already had a couple of the white ones in position lights and the cornering lights burn out and need replacing.
The info I've read says that heat is their biggest enemy. If they are in a socket that provides a good heat sink, they'll probably last longer....but I wouldn't count on it.
If those companies sold bulbs that lasted forever, they'd be out of business in no time.
Of course our bikes have all the lights lit all of the time. That doesn't help them either.
I've thought of re-wiring mine so only the essential ones are lit all the time and the saddlebag and trunk lights can be switched on when needed.
Like I said, I've "thought" about it. But so far it's seemed like too much work to get into right now.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Putting LEDs on my bike was pretty much the first thing I did. I have had LEDs all over my bike for over ten years now. I've never had a single one burn out.

Household LEDs do burn out, more frequently than they should, for two important reasons:

- The LEDs are run extremely hot. Heat kills LEDs. They do this in order to get more light out of them, so they can charge more.

- 90% of the time when a household LED dies, it's not the LEDs at all, but the DRIVER circuit inside that allows the LEDs to run off 110VAC and limits the current. The manufacturers cheap out on these driver circuits, and they heat up...and again, heat kills electronics. The end result is a light bulb that doesn't work - but with LEDs inside that are actually perfectly fine.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

You get what you pay for. Most LED lamps are pushed way too hard.
If you want LED bulbs that last, you can always get Dubai Lamps.

Light bulb makers have a long history of some rather shady practices. Why would they change now?
Just look up the Phoebus cartel for some of the details.
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
1995 Helix
2002 Reflex
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

That made for an 'enlightening' read. Thanks!