Overnight security? Hotel parking, etc

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
reddeth
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
2021 DRZ-400SM

Overnight security? Hotel parking, etc

Post by reddeth »

Howdy all! I've finally got my 1500 fixed back up enough I think it's ready for a proper trip.

But truth be told I've never really done a multi-day trip off a bike (well, I've camped off one, but I'm thinking more of hotels here) and every instinct in me says you never leave a motorcycle of all things in an unattended parking lot like a hotel's.

So I'm curious what precautions, if any, y'all take. My GPS unit is removable, and I think it's logical to pull the luggage out overnight. What else do you all do to (try) and keep the bike safe? Have you had experiences with people messing with the bikes? Vandalism? Outright theft?

PS apologies I tried searching a bit and found some individual posts touching on this topic but not a lot of threads really centered on it's discussion, but again apologies if there's some there and I just couldn't pick out the right keywords

1988 GL1500 the Trashwing
Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Re: Overnight security? Hotel parking, etc

Post by Ghostman »

Most of the hotels I stayed at allowed you to park near the front door or under the front canopies. Luggage was usually all taken in every night and the bike was parked with the forks locked. Also used a half cover as I figured out of sight and out of mind so they dont touch the controls. I would also put a spin on where the cover connects to the bike so I could tell if someone removed one side to look underneath. In 36 states over the years I never had anyone fuss with her.In the morning I would do a quick check just for piece of mind for safety going over the bike.
newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4 bought at 15,000 now 172,000

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 11,00 miles

Project bikes
1976 CB750 K6 Anteres Red 25,000 miles, 2 more K6s, 1 K4, 1 K8

Past rides
1983 GL1100A Wineberry 63,000 miles(sold)

1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

I carry a full cover, Ultraguard, and haven't had a problem so far, but I do leave it in the Lord's hand's before walking away.
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
1995 Helix
2002 Reflex
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

I too use a full cover. I tuck the gps into the lockable cubby, and take my bags in with me. Almost all of the hotels/motels let me park right near the door or canopy when I ask at the desk at check-in. Never had a problem doing so and no one has ever messed with my bike in over twenty five years of Goldwing travel.
reddeth
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
2021 DRZ-400SM

Post by reddeth »

Thanks guys, it's reassuring to hear that y'all haven't had as many issues. Now that I'm thinking back on the road trips I did with my dad, I remember a lot of bikes parked under the awning/front door of hotels we stayed at. Seems like I need to pick up a cover and brush up on my interpersonal skills lol.
1988 GL1500 the Trashwing
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2013 BMW K1600GT

Post by blupupher »

Location makes a big difference.
Try to check out the area online before booking.

I try to book a place where I can park the bike outside the room door. This takes a lot of the "fancier" places off my list, but having the bike right outside is nice.
I take off my GPS and dash cam, take luggage off and lock compartments.
Don't use a cover or park under the front awning (kind of pretentious if you ask me).

I am on a 5 day trip right now, and here is my bike:

(even though the idiot next to me does not know how to park in the lines)
I am staying at a Super 8. Bike right outside my door. Previous 2 nights had one hotel that was the same, and another that was a "regular" hotel and I was on the 2nd floor. Place was near an airport with minimal rif-raf so was not concerned.

While not a long time over-nighter (have had about 25 overnight trips in the past 4 years), I have never noticed anything awry with my bike, and never seen anyone doing anything more than looking at a bike whenever I travel by car.

I think we a riders overthink bike parking safety, not saying you should leave your bike unlocked and stuff on it, but overall people don't mess with bikes.
For many, Goldwings are motorcycles, and they don't want to run afoul of a "biker".
Current ride: 2013 BMW K1600GT

Former rides: 2002 GL1800A, 2001 CB750, 1994 GL1500 SE, 1994 VT1100C , 1984 VF500F, 1982 CB750C, 1982 GS250T, 1981 CB900C, 1978 CB125s, 1976 TS185
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

Its been a couple of years, but we've never had an issue of someone tampering with our bikes. I don't carry a cover, and nor does my wife with her bike. Never leave anything of major value on your mc! Yes we bring in all our luggage, helmets, she has a sheep skin seat cover, and at a few hotels we have been allowed to park under the entrance cover. I usually park under a parking lot light or right outside our room. Travel smart and you won't have problems IMO!

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 84k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

No issues in a decade-plus of touring.

From the stories I have seen and read about, it's not Honda's that get taken, but Harley's.
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Post by joecoolsuncle »

i avoid cities. i almost always avoid hotels/motels. always put something under the side stand to increase its foot print. never a problem.
Mick1836
Motorcycle: 2020 Goldwing DCT Tour Air Bag

Post by Mick1836 »

On the rare occasion during a group ride or meeting that incurs an overnight stop I cover the Wing with a full lightweight cover 👍
cosmic
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800. The good one.

Post by cosmic »

Its a great question, and one I've given a little thought to.
I do (did) a fair bit of travel on my 2012 and so went through the same process.
General thoughts I had:

First up, a bike cover.
Hides the bike away and protects from rain and dust.
Get the crappiest one you can. Dont have one that looks shiny and attracts attention, has Goldwing or Honda or God forbid Ducati or something all over it.
Dull colours, initial impression from a thieves glance is that its something worthless.

Strip the bike of add-ons like GPS and so on. I use one of those super tough waterproof IP69k phones as my GPS (oukitel is one brand, very very snappy GPS chip and I like to stream music from it etc) so I tend not to forget that. But my TPMS display comes off, just everything removable is better removed by me than someone else.

Second is layer of protection the bike itself.

The first major protection is that Goldwings aren't hugely stealable bikes. Just due to the fact there isnt a huge market for the bits and pieces people can strip off them Mostly here its dirt bikes, then things like Harleys and Ducatis which people can strip for parts and sell easily. Other markets have other targets so ymmv.

The second is the fact that it weighs about 400kg. Big protection. Often when people steal expensive bikes they drive up in a van, then four beefy guys get out, slip poles under each wheel, lift and they're gone. Minutes, at the most. They'll have to be pretty beefy guys to lift 100kg each, though, especially as the bike wobbles around on the poles. Not easily stealable just in and of itself.

Or, they walk up, wheel it off and up into a van. 400kg is hard but doable with two people and can be really really quick.

I lift mine onto the centre stand and then lock the transmission, either put it in reverse then ignition off or put into gear. A lot of people dont like to lock with the reverse gear because of reports of it getting stuck and not going out of gear when ignition is on. Once transmission is locked the back wheel aint turning, it wont come off the centre stand, the bike aint moving.

Then, once on the centre stand I lock the steering.

So, a 400 KG on a centre stand with the transmission locked and the steering lock on is 400Kg that aint goin nowhere.

You'll need to unlock steering and release transmission BEFORE you can move the bike the next morning though, You'll only forget once.

I still add on a front wheel disc lock, though. With the bright yellow reminder rope cause you'll only forget once.

I did a work stint for several months on a very dodgy part of the world, had to be work supplied accommodation but only an uncovered and unfenced carport. At that time I did use an Abus maximum security chain and an Abloy lock but that isnt practical for touring due to weight and size. When I went home for the weekend (7-8 hour ride, Friday and Sunday night) I left it at the place I was staying. I dont really think a chain would add much for touring, you might think differently but bear in mind that any chain thats light enough to tour with wont stand up to an angle grinder or bolt cutters.

When Im staying at the place itself, of course park in a well lit, well trafficked area. Any visible security cameras? Park near them or park near the front desk (which usually isnt staffed at night, though, but security is a bit higher in these area). I also like to park in a really stupid way, pointing a funny direction or something but thats more to do with me, I think
To be honest I tend to park near my room cause I cant be bothered lugging my stuff to the room.

Hope it helps, or at least something to think about.

Worlds best bike.

James
BobC1960
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
2002 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Post by BobC1960 »

Anything removable gets….uhm…removed (GPS, Quad-Lock phone mount, GoPro’s etc. I also take my clothing luggage which is contained I the trunk or side bag liners. I also park under the front entry canopy if allowed to or in eyesight of my room. I also lock the bike and forks and I use a half cover while traveling or at work. I also have an Apple AirTag mounted under the seat for what little peace of mind that affords.
wingnut1105
Motorcycle: 2013 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Airbag

Post by wingnut1105 »

I’ve done many multi-day cross country trips throughout North America. I only stay at motels where I can park in front of my room door. I used to setup a trail camera in the window of my room, but don’t bother anymore. I won’t pick a motel that has a beverage room, or one next door to a bar either. My 2013 has the reverse feature, so before turning off the bike, I turn on the reverse, then turn off the key. That prevents the bike from rolling. Also lock the steering of course. I don’t use a cover. I feel it makes the bike look like a pearl or something that might attract attention.
Atomx11
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by Atomx11 »

I also carry a hefty 15' vinyl covered cable w/ a large-ish padlock, run it through the wheels/frame and around whatever architecture I can find as well as through my travel partner's bike(s).

I second everyone's advice to ask the front desk about parking next to the main front entrance. "Well lit" area, at least!
I also ask them "where's the best places in your lot that have a security cam trained on them?" All the hotel staff I've met are willing to help me find the most secure parking areas. They'll even show me their security monitors of the lot.
Lock your steering, remove all removables, bike cover (if you have one).

*Nothing is going to completely prevent a persistent thief from ruining your day, but we can slow them down. Make the dirtbags move on to an easier target.
Best of luck!
gjbonin
Motorcycle: 2001

Post by gjbonin »

I lock the front forks, put on a full cover with a lock and use a brake rotor lock : https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kry ... _id=831180

I also try to park near the entrance and under the lights. Nothing guarantees safety, but they would have to work pretty hard.
finmanusa
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Goldwing 1500

Post by finmanusa »

I don't know where or who does the reviews of Security Trackers but I am sure the device that was reviewed will not work in North America, since it operates on a 2G cellular network not available in the USA.
With that said Find It Now GPS Early Warning Security is sold exclusively through authorized Dealers for the last 15-years and is perfect for all your Security needs.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

finmanusa wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:58 am I don't know where or who does the reviews of Security Trackers but I am sure the device that was reviewed will not work in North America, since it operates on a 2G cellular network not available in the USA.
With that said Find It Now GPS Early Warning Security is sold exclusively through authorized Dealers for the last 15-years and is perfect for all your Security needs.
Not sure which one you're talking about, but I have reviewed two:

Monimoto 7

Sizzapp GPS Tracker

Your information is incorrect. Both use 4G networks. They both work throughout the USA and Canada. The Sizzapp unit will actually work worldwide.

Let's look at the pricing of the systems:

Find it Now: $595 plus installation (Dealer installed only), $70/year for service

Monimoto 7: $149 self install, $49/year for service

Sizzapp: $270 self install, no annual service charge

So your "Find it Now" service might be "perfect for all your security needs" but it sure isn't the best or cheapest.

Several people have mentioned that they would just use a Tile tracker or an Apple Air tag. I will tell you this: when my daughter's car was stolen, we thought one of these consumer-level "trackers" would work - and it did, for a little while. But the updates were few and far between, maybe once or twice a day, and by the time the updates were seen, the car was no longer anywhere near where the tracker was reported. Eventually the tracker stopped reporting entirely (unsure if the battery died, or if they found it and destroyed it), and the police found the car many months later parked on a busy street corner. Those trackers depend on people with the proper cell phones and/or apps being near enough to the tracker to pick up its signal to report its general position. When that doesn't happen...you get no tracking. I won't depend on one of those trackers again.
finmanusa
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Goldwing 1500

Post by finmanusa »

ALL I know is what i read in your article:
SIZZAPP 2-WIRE GPS Lite - a regular SIZZAPP model. It connects to your vehicle's battery and is waterproof. This device is suitable for motorcycles. Uses 2G network. Please make sure the 2G network still works in your country.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

finmanusa wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:56 am ALL I know is what i read in your article:
SIZZAPP 2-WIRE GPS Lite - a regular SIZZAPP model. It connects to your vehicle's battery and is waterproof. This device is suitable for motorcycles. Uses 2G network. Please make sure the 2G network still works in your country.
You're looking at the wrong product. That's not the unit that we reviewed, or what is sold here in this country. The unit in our review is the GPS Max model:

SIZZAPP 2-WIRE GPS MAX - a brand new next-generation SIZZAPP model. It connects to your vehicle's battery and is waterproof and rapidly working. This device is suitable for any motor vehicle (motorcycles, scooters, cars, ATV’s, jet skis, snowmobiles etc). WORKS WORLDWIDE.
Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
Black 2006 1800 Goldwing.
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Post by Asphaltmaniac »

Ive probably stayed at a few 100 motels across the years with two different wings. Never ever have I got the notion that anyone touched the bike in any way anywhere. whether I could see it or not.

Go ride have fun dont worry about it. :D
77Goldwing
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Post by 77Goldwing »

Regrettably, I no longer take overnight trips on the Wing and use it for casual, fun riding in the farm country around home - or - occasional trips to different brewpubs for a sample.

But in 1976 I took my CB450 from upstate NY to Guadalajara MX and after attending the Preakness, took a scenic tour down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway before heading west. Somewhere in the mountains I overnighted at a small hotel that gave me a room with a garage next door for storing my bike. The rest of the way I stayed at fraternity houses, hotels, and, once in Guadalajara, a fenced/locked gated area at my friends' rental. The CB450 was quite an attraction back then as the largest bike you could buy domestically was 125cc. And you do meet the nicest people on a Honda: my buddy and I frequented the peso dance halls to watch the action and one of the more popular girls asked for a ride. Let's just say she had a firm grip on a prominent part of my anatomy as we scooted around the block, popping an occasional wheelie. Ahhh, the good old days when I was a sprite of 25.
1977 Goldwing GL1000
Vetter SS fairing/lowers; custom saddle seat
Purchased 6/30/1978, 1585 miles

1973 CB450/K6 (sold) (1976-Schenectady NY to Guadalajara MX and back)
1972 CB100 (sold)
johnacman
Motorcycle: 2013 Honda Goldwing

Post by johnacman »

When is the last time any of you heard of a Goldwing being stolen, especially a 1800. Too big and heavy to throw in the back of a pickup or trailer. When traveling I just use a cover and remove valuables. I park as close to the room as possible an never had problem.
Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
A pack of Super Cubs
Z50A (pre-headlight)
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

The biggest question is WHERE you are going. There are places that I wouldn't park a Patton tank overnight unless it was right outside my room For that matter, I wouldn't go into inner cities on a motor in the first place, except passing directly through on a freeway.

On the Mainland, I usually use Motel 6, because I'm not interested in most of the amenities that you find at higher-class hotels, and pick those where I can park the motor right outside my room. Giving the motel a call while planning often helps in this regard.

Two exceptions to this rule are the Peppermill casinos in Reno and West Wendover. They have solid security, as do the other major casino hotels in Nevada.

When you get away from cities, all you really need is a rain cover. Cities and suburbs, ALWAYS arrange for a ground-floor room with parking right outside the window (or door, if possible), or park within physical view of the front desk. Some hotels have a special motorcycle parking area near the front door. Make a big show of taking your luggage, GPS, etc off the bike in the evening. Retired cops I know don't try to hide holster and pistol as they clear the stuff from the bike, then come back out and put on the rain cover, and EVERYONE should keep eyes moving for anyone paying attention to what they are doing.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Back in the day I took a long trip in pouring rain on my CB750. When I got to the motel, I just pulled my bike into the room. Probably couldn't do that with a GoldWing.
However, some places have handicapped rooms on the first floor with really large doors. I wonder...
BobC1960
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
2002 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Post by BobC1960 »

Holiday Inn Express - Cortez, Colorado. Very bike friendly staff and a great place to stay

My bike is the Red Wing with half-cover between the two posts. My bro-in-law owns the Road Glide right next to it.
Attachments