Advice on used GL1200

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
GD2
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Advice on used GL1200

Post by GD2 »

I have been casually shopping for a great deal on a GL1500, but ran across what looks like a very well-kept GL1200 1986. It has 100k, but looks to be in very good shape.

But I am worried about the dreaded stator, and the general age of the bike.

Can you point me to a good article on buying used? I look forward to your opinions.

That's not just a motorcycle. It's a Gold Wing.
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Re: Advice on used GL1200

Post by joecoolsuncle »

prob not any articles that would cover the real life problems. you will find much more, and more trustwothy advice right here on this forum. search and read, ask questions, click the manuals and how to sections.
aint skeered of 100k miles, and all the notorious problems can be fixed and stay fixed for not alot of money.

best advice..........if it has any indication of poor maintenance, junk and foofoo added on, mangled wiring, etc:, have patience and move on. $1k reliable runners that need normal maintenance items like tires, brakes, timing belts, battery, are common.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Two things to keep in mind. You may not be able to find anyone who will work in it. (Same even with a 1500) So plan on doing all the work yourself. Many parts are no longer available, so you may have to hunt used parts or do substitutions as things fail.
landisr
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A 207k miles
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 6k miles
All miles are mine

Post by landisr »

To address the Dreaded Stator issue, test it's function (instructions and guidance elsewhere on here) or have it done. If the output is fine and the multi-pin connector down on the left side does not show signs of severe heat, you can replace or eliminate the connector (direct wire) and you should be good to go. Eliminating any unnecessary electrical accessories will also help.

Good luck, and let us know of your decision.

Ride Safe.

Ron in AZ
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:

Avatar taken at the Pine Breeze Inn, famous from Easy Rider.
GD2
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by GD2 »

I may go and check out this GL1200. I've been trying to read about testing the stator - tell me if this is right:

I assume the bike is OFF? - Check between the three wires (on left side of bike), two at a time and look for low resistance.
Check between each of the wires and ground and there should be NO closed loops.
Check plug to make sure it is not burned or melted at all.

Do I check voltage at each wire with bike RUNNING as well? What voltage range am I looking for?

What else should I look for?

THANK YOU

I hope to join your bunch with either a GL1500 or GL1200 in the near-ish future.
That's not just a motorcycle. It's a Gold Wing.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Unplug the stator from the regulator.
Run the engine at 3000 rpm.
Test for AC voltage between two of the yellow wires.
Repeat for each pair, A-B, A-C, B-C. A,B,and C are arbitrary names, the wires are just yellow with no markings.
You should see 50 to 70 volts AC and they should be pretty equal between pairs.