Sturgis for women

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Sturgis for women

Post by WingAdmin »

This is a video created by an (amazing) friend of mine. She's a pilot, adventurer, entrepreneur. She's fearless: she's climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, learned scuba diving, ferried single-engine airplanes across the ocean to Australia, and more.

She decided she wanted to try motorcycles, and of course not doing anything halfway, she figured the best way to do so was to go to Sturgis. I thought some people might enjoy her view of Sturgis from the eyes of a female newcomer to motorcycles:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Roebie
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Sturgis for women

Post by Roebie »

I'm writing this from a European point of view, so things might be different in the States, especially traffic-wise. But even then...
I saw a lot of people in the video driving without proper protective clothing. Sooner or later, they're gonna loose their skin or even their lives because of that. Dumb if you ask me.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Roebie wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:50 am I'm writing this from a European point of view, so things might be different in the States, especially traffic-wise. But even then...
I saw a lot of people in the video driving without proper protective clothing. Sooner or later, they're gonna loose their skin or even their lives because of that. Dumb if you ask me.
There's a fairly small percentage of people that are on this forum here in North America that would probably agree with that assessment.

Many of those that do NOT subscribe to 'ATGATT' (All The Gear All The Time) do tend to congregate there in South Dakota in the early part of August.

Protective clothing is like helmet laws in roughly half our states - completely optional.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

I should clarify something...
kwthom wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:54 pm Protective clothing is like helmet laws in roughly half our states - completely optional.
Protective clothing is completely optional in every state.

Protective eyewear is optional unless you have a windscreen of a certain height.

Protective headwear is optional for those of age in roughly half of our states.

More laws/regulations summarized here: https://bikershades.com/motorcycle-eyewear-laws/

It's up to the rider to be cognizant of each states' laws as they travel from state to state.