Embarrassing Fixes

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Embarrassing Fixes

Post by WingAdmin »

MikeB and I were chatting about problems found with bikes, he related one where a GL1800 owner's radio had quit, and after extensive testing, he discovered the transmit button on his CB was stuck down.

That reminded me of a problem I was having with my Goldwing...I don't remember if it was my 1500 or my 1100, I seem to recall that it might have been my 1100.

The problem was that the satellite radio that I had installed kept cutting out when I was riding. Sometimes it would cut out for just a couple seconds, sometimes it would cut out for a minute or more. I knew that if something got in the way between the antenna and the satellite that this would happen, but it was happening more and more often. I pulled the antenna out and moved it. I had it in the front fairing, I tried mounting it in the trunk, on the trunk all over the bike, but it kept happening.

Finally I thought maybe the antenna cable itself was bad, so I ordered a replacement antenna and installed it - nope, it was still happening. What's worse, it was happening when I was out in the middle of nowhere, no trees or buildings in sight.

I spent about three weeks trying to figure out the problem, I even plugged in a spare satellite radio to make sure that wasn't the problem - nope, it happened to that radio too.

Until...one day...I finally figured it out. It all started when I was out for a ride with my wife. THAT was the clue! My wife HATES the CB, and she would always tell me to "shut that thing off, why do you want to listen to the truck drivers?" So out for a ride, she complained about the CB (which I always had on and tuned to channel 19 - to find out about speed traps!). So I turned the volume down, but I didn't turn the CB off.

So the cause of my satellite radio problems? My CB radio was receiving transmissions - and when it does, it MUTES THE STEREO. However, because the CB volume was turned all the way down, it didn't make any noise, so the only thing that happened was that whenever the CB received a transmission (or static), it would break squelch, shut off my music, and leave me with silence.

I felt like an absolute idiot once I finally discovered the cause. :)

SO...Fess up! What stupid "fixes" like this have you made to your bike?

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: ,
1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: Embarrassing Fixes

Post by OldguyGlen »

Rode to the local county park for a walk last fall. Came back to the bike, opened the storage to retrieve helmet, jacket, etc... left my keys on the pillion seat. Ignition key was separate so off I rode. Got home and couldn't find the baggage keys. Went back to the parking lot... looked all around (twice), and slowly drove away watching the curb line... no luck. Picked the locks, dismantled the compartments, took them to a locksmith and paid $80 for 2 sets of keys for the 3 locks.
Fast forward to the next spring. Walking the same park with my lady friend. Told her about losing my keys and costing $80. She looks to the curb where I had parked last fall...AND PICKS UP MY KEYS from last fall. She still reminds me that "men can't find anything"!
I am actually "double-dumb". I'd known for years that I only had one set of keys and kept meaning to have a spare set cut... but never got around to it.
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1996 1500 Goldwing, CSC sidecar

Post by Quick Cal »

I recently had my bike tore apart changing the rear shocks to coil overs, and swapping final drives. So the trunk and saddle bags where off. Once the saddle bags go on there's no adjusting the shock. So I wanted to go putting around my neighborhood for a test drive. I had all the wiring, air lines, and anything else that was loose or dangling zip tied up out of the way. I didn't even cut off the long zip ties,,,lol.

Ya. I got some strange looks. :lol:
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

We won't even talk about the time I was riding home from work one day on my GL1500, and my bike just DIED like it had been switched off. It wouldn't even crank - all the lights were on, radio was working, but the engine was DEAD. I coasted to the side of the road, and spent the next 20 minutes with a multimeter trying to figure out what complex electrical fault had killed my bike. I finally admitted defeat, and realizing I was going to have to continue the diagnosis once I got it home, I gave in and called for a flatbed tow truck to get my bike home.

After about 15 minutes sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck, I happened to look down at the KILL SWITCH which I had inadvertently hit while riding. Yup, you got it. Turned off the kill switch, bike started right up. I called and cancelled the tow truck, and never told anyone the story. Until now. :)
mikeride
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 (former)
1997 GL1500 (former)
2007 GL1800 Nav (current)

Post by mikeride »

I'm a second-generation biker, and have been around and on motorcycles since the early 80s. I have owned various models of Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki bikes through the years, 125 through 1800cc. A few years after we got married, my wife and I moved out of state from where I grew up and where my parents live. One year we were visiting during the summer. My dad had something else going on, but some of his buddies were going to take a bike ride through the countryside. My dad asked me if I would be interested in borrowing his 2007 Goldwing Navi, and taking my teenage daughter on the ride with his buddies. Always up for a nice ride through the scenery, I jumped at the chance. So away we go. I had no trouble handling the Wing, and I had owned a 1984 GL1200 at that point. At one point, we all pulled over to a gas station to top up. I pulled up to a pump but the card reader didn't seem to work on that one, so I went to scooch up to the second of the 2 pumps on this island. I turn the key, fire up the engine, stick it in gear, and the thing dies. Hmm, that's weird. Put it back in neutral, hit the starter and it fires right up as if nothing happened...put it in first to go the 6 feet, and it dies again. Then I just pushed it forward, filled up and finished the ride. I still didn't know what happened until I was done with the ride and back at my dad's.

I'm not sure when they added the feature...it definitely didn't exist on my 1984, and I don't remember if my 1997 GL1500 had one. But the 1800s at least have a safety feature to not let you drive off with the kickstand down. If you put it in gear with the kickstand down, it kills the engine. None of my previous bikes had a similar feature, and it took me by surprise. My dad sold me that bike a few years ago, and I'll have it at the Gathering in August :D .
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with bolt on trike kit, made by Kit Trike Portugal.
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT(sold, glad to see the back of it)

Post by agedbikeman »

I did the same thing as wing admin with the kill switch.
I'd just bought a new Vectrix VX1 high power electric maxi scooter, I got lost, outstretched my arm to program the sat nav and inadvertently hit the kill switch with my sleeve, of couse, doesn't have an engine so nothing changed 'til I tried to pull away, no motion, just dial needles flying round, noticed my blunder while waiting for the tow truck. DOH!!!!!

Alex
Filterman
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Post by Filterman »

Like Scott and the kill switch, mine was very similar. When our son was 5 and daughter 2 (now 30 & 27) I loaded the kids up on the 1984 1200 for an ice cream run. I always put our son in the rear seat, pulled the armrests in, and attached a bungie from one armrest to the other routing around the driver's seat back. I'd put our daughter in front of me so I could somewhat control her with my legs. We stayed on surface streets, and I'd found small kids BMX helmets for them. One day on the way to get ice cream, our daughter was having way too much fun. She was very animated, yelling woohoo's and loving the ride. As two-year-olds do, she started playing with buttons unbeknownst to me. At a stop light, the bike suddenly died. I tried to restart, nothing. Wanting to get out of traffic, I duckwalked us to a side street, tried the restart again, and gave in to a AAA call for help. While waiting on the flatbed, something caught my eye and when I realized the kill switch was off, problem solved. Call back to AAA (this was after 15-20 minutes) to cancel the request, helmets and jackets back on the 3 of us, successful ice cream run. When we got home and I told my wife, I also told her that was the last time that year our daughter could go on a ride. She was just to animated and I needed her to grow and settle down! The bad thing about that was I knew it would be the last time I could take both kids for a spin since she would just be too big to ride in front of me anymore. Now, I've taken my grandson, her son, on those same type rides and he's loved it. The 1800 is so much nicer and he's now big enough to ride on the back seat, but he wasn't always!!!
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1996 1500 Goldwing, CSC sidecar

Post by Quick Cal »

To make this motorcycle related I'm going to say I was washing my long johns for cool weather riding,,,lol.

Anyway. My clothes dryer was running but wasn't putting out heat. I called a friend who's a appliance repair guy. He had me pull the heating element and test it. It was good. He told me how to test some more thing's, can't remember what all he had me do. Time to pay him for a service call.

He walked in at looked at the dryer and said, "Are you flippin kidding me?" He then turned the temp control knob from FLUFF AIR to HEAT and said try that,,,,,lol. :oops:

I then remembered my son used the dryer to make some kind of make-shift tumbler by putting a 5 gallon bucket in it and stuff the dryer full around the bucket. He had shut the heat off. :roll:

Good thing my friend was a nice guy and didn't charge me for a service call,,,lol.
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

Okay - this was just a few days ago - an issue I haven't seen posted before, and a silly mistake on my part....but it might serve to help someone else in the future.

In October 2023 my wife and I moved to Mexico, having liquidated almost everything we own in Canada, except our boat and my beloved '97 GL1500SE, which I had stored in a friend's classic car collection in BC Canada.

Finances being a growing problem (buying a very large, very luxurious house in Mexico can come with problems that cost money to fix), I am forced with trying to sell my boat in Canada, so a few weeks ago I flew back to get it ready for sale. As it happens, friends of ours were going to Bulgaria (she is Bulgarian) for a visit, and so he could have knee surgery (instead of having to wait 2-3 years, like here in BC), and they asked if I could house sit for them. As the house is where my bike is, and it's only 1 hour away from the boat, I was very happy with this. Of course, I need to move mountains of stuff to & from the boat, and I only have the bike. My sole transportation.

A few days ago, I went out to the garage to start the bike. Did the usual routine with clutch, check neutral switch, etc., and pushed the button. <Click>. What the...? That has never happened before!!! Checked the voltmeter, only 12.1 volts. Arrgghh!! I had to buy a new AGM battery last summer & as the bike had worked perfectly the night before, I couldn't believe it would go dead in just a few hours.

I tried all kinds of chargers, jumping it from a truck battery, etc. but still nothing. Interestingly, checking the battery with the ignition off showed it at 12.9V - plenty for starting. Yet once the key was on, just 12.1V...and NO change while trying to crank it. Just a click from the solenoid.

I worked on it for an entire day, trying to troubleshoot. Thankfully, I had left my Honda factory shop manual in storage with the bike, so I started trying to trace the circuitry. It was then that I noticed the starter circuit is shared with the reverse gear lever & switch. When I parked the night before I was exhausted from doing "boat yoga" and, as backing into the garage was uphill an my legs were tired, I had (unusually) used reverse gear.

Went back out to the garage & saw that the reverse lever wasn't all the way parked - it was still a bit out from the side of the bike. Hmmm...could that be it? Pushed it back in that last 1/4" and the bike fired up without hesitation!!!

So, lesson learned - always make sure the reverse lever is ALL THE WAY parked when you're done with it, or spend time trying to find out why you have a no-start condition :roll:
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with bolt on trike kit, made by Kit Trike Portugal.
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT(sold, glad to see the back of it)

Post by agedbikeman »

You're not alone with this one, did it the day I bought the bike and done it loads of times since :oops:
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

My buddy and I were on our way to the Smokey Mountains and had stopped at a restaurant to have some lunch and when we got ready to leave my bike would not start. Not even a click. What the heck? It was running perfectly when we stopped. By the time I discovered mine would not start, he had already pulled out and was leaving. I had checked that the headlight came on when I turned the switch on and it went out when I pushed the start button but still no start. I called my buddy and told him my problem and he came back. He took one look at my bike, reached over and turned the kill switch back to run position and said "try it now". Of course it fired right up then. I felt pretty foolish at what had just happened. I had been riding Goldwings for many years and knew perfectly well about the kill switch. I don't know what happened that day, but it never crossed my mind that it was the kill switch. I never touch that switch, so I guess that is why I didn't think to check it. I must have hit it while getting off the bike when we stopped.
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Hey Scott, a friend and I were coming back from a trip to the Ozarks a few years ago and we had stopped for a rest break. He told me his radio was cutting out and that the guy at the station must have something wrong with the station. The next stop he said it was still doing it. I went over to see about it and I found what you did. He had turned the volume down on his CB and when it would receive a signal it was cutting off the radio... just like it is supposed to. We both got a laugh out of that.
AceCycleNut
Motorcycle: '93 GL1500SE
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

This is just the most recent thing in my memory. The wife and I were out for a ride the other day and we blew out the left rear shock. '93 GL1500SE. I can't afford a new one right now,so I decided to fix a few things I've been putting off.
The big one being the carburetors. I've been putting up with them having a slight hesitation since last fall. Any way,I had already changed the needles once and it didn't improve things so I pulled the carbs the second time to try another set of needles.
Now mind you, I've had these carbs off so many times I've lost count. 20 would be a conservative estimate.
So here I was at the point where I was ready to put the carbs back on the bike and hoping It's the last time. :idea: Right then I thought "It would be real easy to go ahead and put the coolant back in right now while I have lots of room". I had paper towels stuffed into the intakes and rags covering the whole lot. I put more rags around the coolant filler neck just in case the radiator burped coolant while I was pouring.
I took extra care because I didn't want to get coolant on anything.
You probably see where this is going. :? I stuck my funnel into the filler and carefully poured all the coolant that I had drained out before I started. I was thinking "That went well, It didn't burp like usual." Then I looked at the floor under the bike. :o CRAP!! There was coolant running out from everywhere! THEN I REALIZED THAT I HAD DONE IT AGAIN! Eyes,ears and teeth are just fine but Lord I sure miss my mind! If you have EVER done the carbs on a 1500 you know the heater plate under the carbs HAS to be connected before you can refill the radiators! This is where I'm looking for an emogi of a butt kicking. I actually think this is the third time I have out smarted myself like this. :oops: :oops: :oops: Triple embarrassing!
I hope you could follow all of that. Really it's the abbreviated version of all that happened.
Couldn't test the carbs much with the shock not working. It didn't run great at first but after warming up, adjusting idle mixture and syncing the carbs I think it's greatly improved from what I had.
Okay so I fessed up to my stupiditididy,lol.
Any of you other Wing Nuts out there think ya can top that one? I just say that because If I give it some thought I could probably think of a few more of my own. :lol:
Did you ever stop to think? :idea: And forget to start again? :roll:
Cewonz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Post by Cewonz »

My embarrassing fix moment was. I was riding along playing my music. So I'm scrolling channel after channel till I found one. Now I'm grooving down the road until static just shut my tunes down. So ok I'm thinking maybe I have to change to another station... Nothing just static. I'm playing with every button.. nothing just static. I gave up.. I get to my destination hour ride with no music. Then I look down to my left sitting on the bike.. I've noticed that the CB radio on!!! 😳 My knee accidentally hit the button and turned it on. I'm 6'4" so it very easy for my knee to hit that button. So all I would have to do is turn off the CB Radio & get back to my tunes! 😔🤪
VAWingRider
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by VAWingRider »

About seven years ago, I bought a previously owned 2008 GL1800. I was dying to take it out on a group ride planned for the next morning. This was my third Wing, so I figured I'd read the owner's manual later, when I had some free time. On my way to the ride meet up point, I stopped by a gas station to top up the tank. I turned the key off, put the bike on the side stand and began pumping the gas. When I turned the key back on to leave, the starter button didn't work. I raised the side stand, thinking maybe the gear lockout switch was on. I then checked the engine kill switch to see if I had inadvertly hit it when stopping. Then, I tried to roll the bike away from the pump so that the car behind me could fuel up and it appeared that the bike was frozen in place. Great, I thought - I've somehow locked up the engine!
That's when I noticed a yellow "error code" in the speedometer gauge housing. The code was hard to read in the bright sunlight, but it appeared to be "F1", so I got out the owner's manual to look it up that code. No "F1" error code listed. I then looked at the diagram of the instrument panel and noticed that there was a Reverse ("R") indicator, exactly where that "F1" error code was. Boy, did I feel stupid (but relieved). My previous Wing was a 1500, which requires you to lift and rotate a lever to activate reverse. Apparently, I had accidentally hit the Reverse button on the left switch cluster in my haste to get the bike gassed up that morning. I quickly restarted the bike, waved goodbye to the car waiting behind me hurriedly rode off to the meet my friends for the ride. That evening, I read the owner's manual, cover to cover. Lesson learned. Nuff' said.
AceCycleNut
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

:lol: Y'all disappoint me. I'm old enough to have some experience and I know what I'm doing.....hold my beer. ;) Here's another one for you to laugh at.
This is the most embarrassing situation because it all happened in front of an audience. Not long after I got my GL1500 running good enough to ride,the wife and I went with the local group for a ride to lunch at a golf club in a nearby town.
It was a beautiful sunny day and we enjoyed a very nice ride through the California wine country with about 30 other bikes.
When we arrived at the golf club the group just filled up the "white" zone right at the front entrance to the clubhouse. I always like to hang back a bit and let rest figure out the traffic jam so we were the last ones to pull in to park. Now this is a new bike to me. I never rode anything bigger than 700 V-twin. Riding two up. We were looking pretty cool pulling in. I was riding the rear brake and creeping along nice and smooth.Where we pulled up to park there was a small swale in the parking lot for drainage. It had collected some loose gravel right where my short legs had to stretch to reach the ground. Well I didn't get any traction and my foot slipped......Have you ever seen the old TV show Laugh-In? We pretty much looked like Arty Johnson on that tricycle falling over. I am 5'9" and I weigh 158 on a good day. But I amazed the group when I picked the bike up by myself......thank God for YouTube videos,lol.
I have managed to drop the bike 4 times now......I think I am done learning how to do that now. ;)
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

AceCycleNut wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:39 am It was a beautiful sunny day and we enjoyed a very nice ride through the California wine country with about 30 other bikes.
When we arrived at the golf club the group just filled up the "white" zone right at the front entrance to the clubhouse. I always like to hang back a bit and let rest figure out the traffic jam so we were the last ones to pull in to park. Now this is a new bike to me. I never rode anything bigger than 700 V-twin. Riding two up. We were looking pretty cool pulling in. I was riding the rear brake and creeping along nice and smooth.Where we pulled up to park there was a small swale in the parking lot for drainage. It had collected some loose gravel right where my short legs had to stretch to reach the ground. Well I didn't get any traction and my foot slipped......Have you ever seen the old TV show Laugh-In? We pretty much looked like Arty Johnson on that tricycle falling over. I am 5'9" and I weigh 158 on a good day. But I amazed the group when I picked the bike up by myself......thank God for YouTube videos,lol.
I have managed to drop the bike 4 times now......I think I am done learning how to do that now. ;)
I *almost* did that riding from Canada back into the US, at the border crossing. The pavement next to the booth is tilted, so that it tilts the left side of your car upward, and the border agent can easily see into your car. I pulled up slowly on my bike, which of course was sitting straight up, and went to put my feet down as I came to a stop. To my surprise, my left foot hit the ground early, and my right foot - hit nothing at all! I ALMOST went over to the right, but I hopped forward and caught it just in time. I'm sure they've seen this happen to bikes before.
echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade (Sold), 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2022 Harley Davidson Pan American Special

Post by echinus1988 »

My son and I started making jokes about adding a sticker to the bikes we had (GL1100 and Yamaha Seca) that read:

TURN THE GAS ON!
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

WingAdmin wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:13 pm We won't even talk about the time I was riding home from work one day on my GL1500, and my bike just DIED like it had been switched off. It wouldn't even crank - all the lights were on, radio was working, but the engine was DEAD. I coasted to the side of the road, and spent the next 20 minutes with a multimeter trying to figure out what complex electrical fault had killed my bike. I finally admitted defeat, and realizing I was going to have to continue the diagnosis once I got it home, I gave in and called for a flatbed tow truck to get my bike home.

After about 15 minutes sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck, I happened to look down at the KILL SWITCH which I had inadvertently hit while riding. Yup, you got it. Turned off the kill switch, bike started right up. I called and cancelled the tow truck, and never told anyone the story. Until now. :)
I can fess up to this one, first time I rode my new-to-me bike to work, it died at a red light about 1/2 mile short of the office. I pushed it out of traffic and up onto the sidewalk, something I probably could not do as easily today, and sat there for about two minutes worrying if I had bought a lemon. Thankfully it was the kill switch, and I started it back up, pushed it up to the end of the sidewalk, and got back on my way.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider »

WingAdmin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:58 pm I *almost* did that riding from Canada back into the US, at the border crossing. The pavement next to the booth is tilted, so that it tilts the left side of your car upward, and the border agent can easily see into your car. I pulled up slowly on my bike, which of course was sitting straight up, and went to put my feet down as I came to a stop. To my surprise, my left foot hit the ground early, and my right foot - hit nothing at all! I ALMOST went over to the right, but I hopped forward and caught it just in time. I'm sure they've seen this happen to bikes before.
I pulled up to a gas station in a small town in Montana once and failed to notice that the pad next to the pump slipped away to the right. I assume that it was to help melting snow to drain. Anyway everything seemed fine at first as I was able to put the kickstand down and get off without any problems. But I guess that once I finished filling the tank the center of gravity had changed enough to make it unstable. I went to wipe off the wind screen and the bike went right over onto it's right side. A couple cowboys that were hanging out at the bar across the street started to laugh, until they watched me pick it up by myself. We all know that it's fairly easy to pick up if you know how, but it still looks impressive.
/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.
AceCycleNut
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

dtrider wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:56 am
WingAdmin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:58 pm I *almost* did that riding from Canada back into the US, at the border crossing. The pavement next to the booth is tilted, so that it tilts the left side of your car upward, and the border agent can easily see into your car. I pulled up slowly on my bike, which of course was sitting straight up, and went to put my feet down as I came to a stop. To my surprise, my left foot hit the ground early, and my right foot - hit nothing at all! I ALMOST went over to the right, but I hopped forward and caught it just in time. I'm sure they've seen this happen to bikes before.
I pulled up to a gas station in a small town in Montana once and failed to notice that the pad next to the pump slipped away to the right. I assume that it was to help melting snow to drain. Anyway everything seemed fine at first as I was able to put the kickstand down and get off without any problems. But I guess that once I finished filling the tank the center of gravity had changed enough to make it unstable. I went to wipe off the wind screen and the bike went right over onto it's right side. A couple cowboys that were hanging out at the bar across the street started to laugh, until they watched me pick it up by myself. We all know that it's fairly easy to pick up if you know how, but it still looks impressive.
/dwight
I don't feel so bad now after hearing that I'm not the only one that's dropped my Wing. But like I said....I hope I'm done with that training program. The comedian Galleger had a thing in one of his routines about learning how to do things that you don't want to do when you get older. His was at his age he didn't want to do flips on a trampoline. "At a certain age you DON'T want to put yer A$$ over yer head!" Mine thing is picking up a Goldwing!
Although off topic a bit....I guess you can call that a fix.
AceCycleNut
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

Alright here's another one that just happened to me. You will laugh,,,,I did.
So I broke my left rear shock. Ordered a new one. NO! Not that one! The other side dummy! That's not the funny part though.
Since I am waiting for another shock to arrive,I decided to do some tinkering around with the carbs. I've been working on getting them right since I bought this bike and I'm finely getting there. I have two sets of carbs I have been working with thinking I could install one set and tinker with the other set. All that managed to do was complicate things even more. Somewhere along the way I wound up with vacuum pistons that were about 3-4 mm difference in length. I thought maybe I needed the longer piston as it bottoms out at the diaphragm and the carburetor bore. I believe that's the cause of my hesitation because it basically sets the needle 3-4 mm lower too. I had to pull the carbs and change the vacuum piston out for the shorter pistons and I made sure to install the thin aluminum washer under the needle. Okay Nothing funny there either.
I have been putting off trying to start the bike because I wanted to see how easy it would start after sitting parked for a while.
Just a few minutes ago I couldn't stand it any longer,so I went to try and start it. I turned the ignition on,,,,,lights on dash,,,,,kill switch off,,,,,I started to crank the engine to get some oil pumped up,But I got nothing when I hit the start switch. I was scratching my head a minute. Couldn't think of anything that I would have done to cause that to happen.
Then I thought it might have something to do with the work I was doing in the back for the shock. Uh huh, I had the back raised to do the shock.
I FORGOT ABOUT THE BANK ANGLE SENSOR!! At least I know it's still working.
:oops: I'm gonna get a bumper sticker that says "I do stupid stuff for no good reason". LOL
But I think I cured my hesitation issue. :D

ACN