Dashcam Placement

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Troyite
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Dashcam Placement

Post by Troyite »

I have an 86 GL1200A Aspencade
I am thinking about getting a dash cam.
Where have you placed your dash cam???
The one I am looking at has a handlebar mount.
If I place it on the handlebar the vision would be blocked by the fairing.
Have not seen a good handlebar mount etension.
If I place it on the front fairing I fear it will pick up too much wind noise.
I am thinking of 3M taping it to the top of the dash behind the windshield.
Don't know if the windshield will distort the picture.
I have thought of placing it at the bottom of the fairing over the wheel??
will this work or what are your recommendations.

"catch em doing something right"
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Re: Dashcam Placement

Post by offcenter »

Not really a "dash cam", I use a GoPro camera.
I have RAM mounts at various places on my bike so I can capture video from different view points and angles.
Every time I ride, I try to place the camera at a different spot, then edit the video clips together to get interesting videos instead of one long boring video from only one perspective.
Here ya go. Just one of the bunch I've done so far
Watch it on the BIG screen, not a silly little phone.
SOUND UP!!
http://www.unclegeorge.duckdns.org:8081 ... stride.mp4
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
AceCycleNut
Motorcycle: '93 GL1500SE
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

I have had a camera for a couple of years and I just recently mounted it on my bike.
Offcenter offers good advice on multiple mounting points. So far all I have are long boring videos. Right now, I mainly have it set up as a dash cam. It's mounted on my dash behind the windshield. It works pretty good most of the time but at times you see some reflection of the top of the dashboard in the video. I tried a helmet mount but I got mostly wind noise and nothing else.The view changes with mounting location.....well duh.
What I mean is a helmet mount will give the riders POV. It turns with your head and looks where you look. The dash mount is a fixed view but it's lower to the ground. That will make you look like you're going slightly faster. Double stick tape a piece of foam filter to the cam to filter the wind out? It's okay I guess if you can edit your videos. With the GoPro mounted behind the windshield it picks our talking inside the helmets. Although you can't make out what's being said.
As I said I'm just getting started too. I don't want to discourage you but be aware that you won't be happy with Your videos until you can do some editing and add voice over or music etc. It's a big can of worms and I've only eaten two or three so far. Then there's storage, apps, batteries, cables, mics......and it never ends. I said big....it's a #10 can!
Please keep us up to date if you get any great ideas! And there are a ton of YouTube vids to help confuse you even more.
That's probably a great place to start with for how to's.

I'm going to put a cover on the top of the dash to help with that reflection.

Good Luck! ACN
Did you ever stop to think? :idea: And forget to start again? :roll:
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Good advice already. The real question is what do you want to get from it? You may want to experiment with some of these options until you reach your objective.

I used the GoPro for a while with mounts everywhere (both their click-in type and RAM balls). Some locations get noisy. Some have restricted views. I don't now but I had a helmet mount for a while. Videos were ok but I was surprised how much that blinking light on top of my head would get some zombie drivers attention.

I still use the GoPro for some specific events but now have the dual channel dash cam. Turns on automatically; has crash detection; picks up audio from cockpit area; loop records; just install and forget. There are several good ones on the product review threads.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

AceCycleNut wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:50 pm So far all I have are long boring videos.
Most short exciting videos are crashes.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

A thought about helmet mounts. One of the most lethal and debilitating brain injuries is caused by sudden, rapid rotation of the head. This is why helmets are typically smooth, slippery and rounded, so that they glance off of surfaces at impact, without imparting rotational energy into the helmet. Arai makes its helmets specifically this way, with no external parts to catch on anything (or if there are parts, they pop off easily with almost no force). There are newer helmets that have a special flexible layer designed specifically to absorb rotational energy.

The problem is that if your head suddenly rotates, your brain (which floats in a pool of cerebral spinal fluid in your skull) lags behind - until all the connective tissues - spinal cord, blood vessels, etc - reach the end of their rope (so to speak) and then get torn. This is lethal.

So the thought of mounting a camera securely to my helmet, which then acts as a lever to impart even more rotational energy on impact - it just never made sense to me. A helmet-mounted camera could easily turn a easily survivable accident into a deadly one.

My cameras have always been mounted directly to my bike.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

Helmet mounts....
I find that the view from helmet mounts is dizzying. If you are a good rider, you are constantly moving your head to check on the traffic around you. Most of this movement is rapid jerks from side to side. The resulting video is awful to watch.
To get a good panning shot (where the camera moves across the subject) the pan must be done smoothly and slowly.
We do not move out heads smoothly and slowly. The capability of our brain to capture and interpret an image from a glance lasting less than a second is amazing. The camera, not so much.
I used a helmet mount once. Never used it again. The video was unwatchable.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
AceCycleNut
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

I have to agree with everything that's been said about the helmet mount for cams. It didn't take me very long to ditch that idea and move the cam to the dash. So far I only have the adhesive mounts that came with the GoPro.
Since the Gooberment decided to help us all out I don't have ANY disposable income left. (That's my rant on politics.) My Son bought this camera for me. At the time choices were very limited. I would get a dash cam set up now that's all automatic. Starts and stops when you turn the ignition key,loops recording,saves events,AND you don't have to think about it until you need to. Oh and they give front AND rear views to boot.
AceCycleNut
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

Rambozo wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:41 pm
AceCycleNut wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:50 pm So far all I have are long boring videos.
Most short exciting videos are crashes.
You are correct! Maybe I should change that to long and leaving room for improvement? ;)
rowdyjoe
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing SE

Post by rowdyjoe »

I've been using a Sena Tube camera mounted to my helmet for about 5 yrs. It's very light weight and doesn't require any holes in your helmet to mount it solidly. It has a microphone for recording your thoughts while riding and a speaker for camera status. Mic and speaker are easy to install. Battery life is about 2.5 hrs. before recharge. I don't blog but, I like to save some of my rides to share with friends and relatives. I mostly ride solo but, will occasionally ride with 2 or 3 others. I ride a 1993 (antique) GL1500.