Old Friends and New Bikes

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
AceCycleNut
Motorcycle: '93 GL1500SE
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Old Friends and New Bikes

Post by AceCycleNut »

The wife and I went to a "Taco Tuesday" get together with the local group of motorcycle nuts. There are probably 50 people but not all show up for the Taco Tuesday nights. Usually around 20 folks. I was happy to see another Goldwing pulling in to park. Even happier when he stop and pulled his helmet off. It was an old friend that I had lost touch with. I haven't seen him for several years! Now I have somebody to ride with that will match. Not bashing other brands here....just you make a lot of noise,lol.
So I talked to him and found out he just decided like I did a few year ago that he wanted another motorcycle.He had sold his BMW adventure bike. Not sure what model.....it held a lot of fuel way up high and was top heavy. He's a big boy too,I doubt weight was a factor. So anyway he got lucky and found a 2012 GL1800. You know the story. Old guy buys big bike and then finds out it's too big and parks it in the garage. I don't know what price he paid but the bike is real clean. Only 4000 miles on it when he got it,and he had only put about 350 miles on it when he was showing it to me.
He is even more ignorant than I was when I bought my bike. I still know very little about the 1800s. I have a 1500.
So I was just wondering what he should look for that might need to be looked at after being parked for a few years. I know the usual stuff like fluids and stuff,but no carbs or timing belts to fuss with.
I failed to ask if he got any service records with the bike. I'm a little bit :mrgreen: but happy for him too!
I'm going to strongly recommend that he join this forum.

ACN

Did you ever stop to think? :idea: And forget to start again? :roll:
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Old Friends and New Bikes

Post by Rambozo »

Do all the fluids and filters, and at the same time you can give it a thorough inspection.
I would want to go over anything aftermarket with a fine-tooth comb.
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

Both of you should check the DOT codes on the tires and replace them if they are older than 5 years.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
AceCycleNut
Motorcycle: '93 GL1500SE
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

Thanks for the advice folks! I'm already onto fluids and filters,but I was not thinking about tires. Brakes will be good I'm sure with only 4000 plus miles on it. I haven't clued him in yet as to what he's getting into,lol.

On a side note, In our group this will make the sixth GW. I was first with the 1500SE then three of the guys went out and bought brand new 2023 DCTs. They made an epic trip up to Alaska. Then My friend shows up the other night with this 2012 GL1800.
The first time I brought my 1500 to a group ride I thought some Harley guys would be getting new wives,lol.
One of the ladies told me "Joe IS GOING to be online tonight looking for a Goldwing". Needless to say a few of the Harley guys were a little unhappy that their ladies didn't like their ride anymore. ;)
We are coming for you noise makers! :lol:

Did you ever stop to think? :idea: And forget to start again? :roll: