Ever thought about why older wings are for sale

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Re: Ever thought about why older wings are for sale

Post by seelyark1 »

1979wing wrote:My 79 Vetter GW gets all the looks, too. And my restoration was SeaFoam in 5 tanks of gas, and a 600 mile road trip. This winter, I'm outfitting a 300 lb teardrop trailer for next year. $2K barn find for me, just rolled 7500 orig kms.
You found a gem if the mileage is that low, Someone must have set it up right if all you had to do was sea foam! Great looking bike! :)

Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

1979wing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1979 GL1000K Craig Vetter Edition
1979 CBX-Z
1972 750-4
2003 SilverWing

Post by 1979wing »

7517 km as of startup this morning. And yes, I feel blessed. Not for much longer, though. Here in Manitoba, riding season seems all but over......8 degrees C and -5 to start your day...brrrr.

1979wing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1979 GL1000K Craig Vetter Edition
1979 CBX-Z
1972 750-4
2003 SilverWing

Post by 1979wing »

7517 km as of startup this morning. And yes, I feel blessed. Not for much longer, though. Here in Manitoba, riding season seems all but over......8 degrees C and -5 to start your day...brrrr.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Post by bustedwing »

A guy near here has an 83 Aspy with a toepac bolted on for sale for$2300 but I don't know if it runs, and it looks really rough. He also has 2 more trike kits( used) one is a towpac, but not sure what the other one is. The towpac that isn't bolted to a bike looks like they used a hacksaw to cut it away from the last bike, but the paint looks fairly new. I don't know what they are worth, but I don't believe that the Aspy is worth. MAYBE half of what they are asking, especially since nobody knows it would run. Thinking about a winter project.
Proud member Patriot Guard

k2bertie
Motorcycle: 1980, Honda GL1100 interstate

Post by k2bertie »

Hi All, a long time since I have been on here, forgot how good it is.
To the point, due to recently being diagnosed with MND (ALS) I have to part with my 1980 GL1100, LNC261V I rescued her a few years back from the back of a garage, it had not been on the road for some 18 years. I had dreamed of owning one after seeing my first one in the early 80's, when I purchase mine it was in a bit of a state, spent a few months on her, got her on the road and loved all of the 1000 miles or so I rode her, not enough due to work. Early part of last year got her ready for the summer roads, but again due to work never got to ride her again, as MND (ALS) set in, so she sits in my workshop ready for a MOT but now have got to sell her.
Where is the best place to sell her, to people that would love her as much as I do. Oh by the way she has only done 11500 from new.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 »

very sorry to hear about your ALS, its a shame you cant ride her anymore. you could run a post here in the classified section. im sure someone from here would love to have that great looking classic wing. who knows, you might even find someone from your area who would purchase it from you.

stuart.

k2bertie

Post by k2bertie »

Thanks, I thought I might be able to ad it on here but not sure, but thanks I do now.

k2bertie

Post by k2bertie »

Hi Again, How do I post an ad, as I have been to the classified but no where to post an ad, is it easy?? or am I missing something, Thanks

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 »

when you log in, go to the left side of the page and put your mouse cursor over "forum", let it open the window, scroll down to "for sale/wanted", left click on it to open it up and then scroll down to the left bottom of the page to where you see "new topic" click on that to start up a new posting. in your subject line, type in "for sale" or how ever you want to have it shown. its just like starting up a new posting like your doing a regular post. then type in what ever you want to say about it then post it. it should go into the "for sale/wanted" section.

stuart.

k2bertie

Post by k2bertie »

Thanks all done. As I have not done this before hope it is ok.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30526&p=176578#p176578

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 »

you did a very good job with your ad, it looks perfect. i hope you get your asking price as your bike looks really good, but its still a shame you have to sell it.

stuart.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Post by bustedwing »

I have retired from volunteer EMT and have seen many people, including my own father, who were hit with this disease and thru time watched it take their lives. I know that in some places the medical councilors can start early with helping to adapt your home to a later time when you will need the help. My thoughts and prayers are with you . It's a shame that you have to give up your beauty, but by you doing that tells me that you are a practical person. I sincerely hope that you can enjoy retirement, and even enjoy a ride now and then!
Proud member Patriot Guard

k2bertie

Post by k2bertie »

Thanks that is very kind of you,

k2bertie

Post by k2bertie »

Hi, regards my ad I cant seem to find it, how long does it take to go live?? :roll:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

k2bertie wrote:Hi, regards my ad I cant seem to find it, how long does it take to go live?? :roll:
Instantly. It's right here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30526

k2bertie

Post by k2bertie »

Thanks, got it, just thought it would be classified as, ta

CaNorseman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Post by CaNorseman »

My first wing is a 1976 that I bought as a project.It sat for 17 yrs before under threat of a graveyard the rebuild started.I did all of the work myself and finally took my first trip. 4 states and 2500 miles. The future had its beginning. The following year, the trip in Missouri and Arkansas was great but the ride back to California was cut short by a few mechanical problems.
I decided to get a Newer Wing. I just bought a 91 gl1500. Getting ready to go again to the Ozarks to see more. This trip will probably be about 4 weeks out this time. I'm hooked for life.
Im hesitant about selling my 76 that started a new adventure, but will to the right person that wants to really ride.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave »

CaNorseman wrote:My first wing is a 1976 that I bought as a project.It sat for 17 yrs before under threat of a graveyard the rebuild started.I did all of the work myself and finally took my first trip. 4 states and 2500 miles. The future had its beginning. The following year, the trip in Missouri and Arkansas was great but the ride back to California was cut short by a few mechanical problems.
I decided to get a Newer Wing. I just bought a 91 gl1500. Getting ready to go again to the Ozarks to see more. This trip will probably be about 4 weeks out this time. I'm hooked for life.
Im hesitant about selling my 76 that started a new adventure, but will to the right person that wants to really ride.
Your '76 Wing holds a lot of memories, good and bad, so I think I can appreciate your hesitancy in considering parting with it. I have a '78 Wing that I've had since it was new, and it's carried me many miles, to wonderful places. I have a hard time imagining being without it. Sometimes I just sit and look at it. Maybe if I had another one, a newer one, I'd feel a little easier about it, I don't know.
One thing that I do know, is that if I sold it I'd likely only get a couple of thousand bucks for it, and I'd just fritter that away in no time. Maybe a '76 is more valuable monetarily, I don't know. But if I was going to part with my Wing, I'd definitely be looking for someone very special, family or friend, to give it to. It will never appear on Ebay, or anyplace like it, that's a guarantee! If giving it away turned out not being an option, I'd simply take it out into a field somewhere, dig a big hole, and bury it. The end!

That's just the way I am................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

CaNorseman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Post by CaNorseman »

Hi Dave. My 76 goldwing has still not been finished to my satisfaction so I'll keep her up and running till perfected. I love the newer 1500 and am giving it the attention to bring her up to a dependable bike. A 5 mile beer run turns into 35 miles of new roads.What a sweet ride.

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 »

Us old guys buy GW's, ride them until we die, or can't ride anymore and then we or the widow sells them to a dealer- read the screed about the 40th anniversary GW not having any 'technology' improvements or style- I guess he wanted fins and electronic paint... some folks gotta have the newest, latest, the rest of us ride the good stuff for years.

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by urbanmadness »

Yeah, I bought my 1500 from a older gent that decided it was time to hang it up. I got a sweet deal. Mine is a 1989, has 105K on it, and it is differently time for some pretty heavy maintenance. So far, I've done front and rear tires (it needed them badly), fixed most of the stereo faults (I still may send it to Sierra for a good going thru). Got a replacement seat, and changed out the front speakers (can't get the rears to work yet). Oil change.

Things it needs, timing belts (he said they were done recently, but didn't know how recently), I want to flush the cooling, clutch and braking systems. I'm debating on the front wheel bearings. When I first got the bike, it felt like the front bearings were kinda questionable (it had that weird gyroscopic thing going on), but it seems better now and bearings never get better. It might of been a front caliber that was hanging up a touch, but again, now it seems ok. Blue tooth adapter is coming sometime next week. Probably gonna clean all the switch gear this weekend. I also need a new trunk lid. The one on the bike is really broken up. I may try to fix before getting another one.

It has CB, Reverse, Intercom and even came with one headset. Paint is pretty bad, but still looks OK. It also has a Compufire, ring of fire, Head light and tail light modulators, updated front end (headlight and stainless parts from a 96?) Highway boards, upgraded exhaust and more chrome then a simi at a truck stop. Oh yeah, it's got all the light kits for the trunk, too... It's almost got too much on it.

I paid a dollar a CC.... 1500 bucks. It's a ton of bike for that, well, 1/2 ton anyway it also came with a trailer, believe it or not. I didn't even try to talk the guy down.... I said, here.....take my money...... LOL. All and all I got a screaming deal. Oh, and as an added bonus... I haven't seen any hacked electronics on it yet. It looks all factory, except for the ring of fire and the extra driving lamps and they were at least done by using the accessory terminals on the fuse block.

A new 1800 would be great but for the money, I'm more then happy with what I have. It just needs a little polishing is all.

willy b
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by willy b »

I too got my 82 Aspy from an old fella. He told me he was the second owner of the bike, and he lives in the same small town as the original owner. This guy is 78 years old, owned the bike for 14 years, and was still riding in summer 2014. Told me a few stories to go along with the bike when I bought it. He can't ride anymore because of leg problems. I felt kinda sad when I took away his ride. But on the bright side, he called me about amonth later to see how things were going. Already had over 4000 kms on it, love riding it and told him so. I think it made him feel better knowing that it was being enjoyed.
Who knows, maybe I'll be that guy in another 15 years or so.

CaNorseman

Post by CaNorseman »

My76 GL1000 needs carb work and a couple minor repairs before I think of passing her on to a new enthusiast. My 1500 is coming along nicely and looking pretty good. This year is a catch up on maintenance and replacing the worn and broken. The goal is a 6000 mile trip in June. wish me luck.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Solina Dave wrote:Now, I've got it in my head that I'd like to take another long tour this year, maybe back to the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho etc., probably in the 10 or 12000 km. range, and for the first time since I've been riding, I'm having concerns about breakdowns. What would I do if it had a relatively catastrophic breakdown. Who would work on it, or want to work on it? What about parts availability? How long would I be tied up, even if it could be repaired? It would cost a fortune to ship it home, to say nothing about the overwhelming pain in the ass of it all. I could sell it, as is, but I'd take a huge financial beating, because I'd need to do it quickly. The parts on my motorcycle are worth quite a lot. I'd probably get less for the entire motorcycle, than I could get for the exhaust system alone on ebay. I think, in the end, I'd just feel like dropping it off at a landfill site, fly home, buy a rocking chair, and take up knitting.
I'm having a tough time, like I said for the first time, resolving this in my mind. Anyone got any comments? Can anyone relate? Any suggestions?

What a whiner, eh?...................Dave
So your worst case scenario that would be not running some where...I'd rent truck and/or trailer and bring it back home. Presuming you can't find a non dealer bike repair place that will work on them.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

julimike54 wrote:
Solina Dave wrote:Now, I've got it in my head that I'd like to take another long tour this year, maybe back to the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho etc., probably in the 10 or 12000 km. range, and for the first time since I've been riding, I'm having concerns about breakdowns. What would I do if it had a relatively catastrophic breakdown. Who would work on it, or want to work on it? What about parts availability? How long would I be tied up, even if it could be repaired? It would cost a fortune to ship it home, to say nothing about the overwhelming pain in the ass of it all. I could sell it, as is, but I'd take a huge financial beating, because I'd need to do it quickly. The parts on my motorcycle are worth quite a lot. I'd probably get less for the entire motorcycle, than I could get for the exhaust system alone on ebay. I think, in the end, I'd just feel like dropping it off at a landfill site, fly home, buy a rocking chair, and take up knitting.
I'm having a tough time, like I said for the first time, resolving this in my mind. Anyone got any comments? Can anyone relate? Any suggestions?

What a whiner, eh?...................Dave
So your worst case scenario that would be not running some where...I'd rent truck and/or trailer and bring it back home. Presuming you can't find a non dealer bike repair place that will work on them.

I have to agree, when we are out we have a standing decision that if it breaks down and we can't get it going we will rent a truck and just tow it home. If you let the what ifs in you will never get out to see what is