Ever thought about why older wings are for sale

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Hammhammer
Motorcycle: Goldwing Standard 1980 GL1100, Yamaha Venture Standard 1988 1200

Re: Ever thought about why older wings are for sale

Post by Hammhammer »

Well, I now know why older wings are for sale. Dakotanator, after all that work I did, came the loudest backfire I have ever heard out of the left tail pipe followed by the smoke. I just blew a head gasket on the 1980 gl1100. Have to change the water pump and timing belts anyway, I guess I should look at it as 14 more bolts to unscrew.............Fortunately, It looks like a good size job to do but not out of my ballpark. With the other work to do I'm more than half way there. But I may not have it going this fall. Disappointed but not down and out yet. Hoping its just the gasket and not the rings.....

Rich

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Hammhammer wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:15 pm
Well, I now know why older wings are for sale. Dakotanator, after all that work I did, came the loudest backfire I have ever heard out of the left tail pipe followed by the smoke. I just blew a head gasket on the 1980 gl1100. Have to change the water pump and timing belts anyway, I guess I should look at it as 14 more bolts to unscrew.............Fortunately, It looks like a good size job to do but not out of my ballpark. With the other work to do I'm more than half way there. But I may not have it going this fall. Disappointed but not down and out yet. Hoping its just the gasket and not the rings.....

Rich
You can always do a leak down test that will confirm where the leak is. Probably get blow by on the exhaust valves - primary culprit for lower compression. Rings will give an indication of leaking by air coming out the oil fill. Head gasket will be bubbles in the rad.

A small leak down tester can be made or just buy one of eBay.

Good luck. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Hammhammer
Motorcycle: Goldwing Standard 1980 GL1100, Yamaha Venture Standard 1988 1200

Post by Hammhammer »

Hey Ernest, thanks for the reply. I’m wondering if I blew the oil seals of the valve stems if that would change the compression as well. Kinda pissed I did this, seems to be more blue than white out the exhaust. Does not seem to burn much until I goose it. Then it puffs then clears. Might have oil leaking passed the valve stem seals. I guess I’ll find out when I rip into it. Any other observations are appreciated. I will check the oil and rad. Thanks for the tip.
Rich

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Hammhammer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:47 am
Hey Ernest, thanks for the reply. I’m wondering if I blew the oil seals of the valve stems if that would change the compression as well. Kinda pissed I did this, seems to be more blue than white out the exhaust. Does not seem to burn much until I goose it. Then it puffs then clears. Might have oil leaking passed the valve stem seals. I guess I’ll find out when I rip into it. Any other observations are appreciated. I will check the oil and rad. Thanks for the tip.
Rich
I would say the valve stem seals only keep oil out of the combustion chambers and not affect the compression. You can have some bluish smoke on start as these flat fours are known to leak some oil past the valve stem seals when on side stand. If you are getting bluish smoke when running, could be blow by past a set of rings. I'd monitor the oil level and determine how much is being used while riding. If you were to use 1/2 quart between oil changes would not worry about the oil consumption, even a quart would not be a big issue. If you know the oil consumption, and it is consistent between oil changes, no worries, only when it changes should you start to look at the why.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

SidAbma
Motorcycle: 1985 GoldWing LE

Post by SidAbma »

We have an 85 1200 SE with aprox 88,000 miles. Has a new alternator and rebuilt starter. These older bikes get a lot of thumbs up as we are going down the road. The heated handle grips are a saving grace for hand numbness.
We live in CA and can ride almost every day. So Blessed. My wife likes the 94 better so it gets the majority of the miles, but riding on "Gold" is special.

Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

I totaled my 2014 Harley in 2017. Before my Cast came off my left leg and on crutches, I bought a 12 year old GL 1800 Oct 2017 and love it. I was not able to ride it until April 2018. But during that time, I could not ride, I hobbled to the garage every day, lowering the bike, adding CB, adding J&Ms USB player which replaces the CD player, I added RAM Mounts, TPMS, GPS, Voltmeter with new panel, Sena Freewire, Accessory Plug in the Trunk, Ride off Stand, .
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.

pocketchange
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by pocketchange »

Cause..
The PO's aren't getting any younger and with the number unit(s) sales over the years, it's a wonder more of them aren't available.
The PO of the GL1500 now in my care is 88. The ONLY reason he quit was that his riding friend passed away.
If I can ride (or live) for another decade, I will be closing in (hopefully) getting the sense to quit too.. pc

Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

I will be 71 next month and have never been without a motorcycle since I was 15 1/2. Except for the one year I spent in the Philippines with the AF. Even in Germany I had a 1982 BMW R80RT. That was a better bike than my 87 GL 1000. I plan to keep riding until I am 80. The biggest thing for me is making sure I stay within my capabilities. My reflexes are not the same as when I was 20ish and I slow down more than I use to in the twisties.
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.

tigercub
Motorcycle: 1980 gold wing interstate gone naked
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub »

I'm 63 and almost always had a bike.....I now have four.....ranging from 1954 to my latest , a 1980 GW that was given to me by a friend who had it sitting for a few years....https://goldwinghttps://goldwingdocs.co ... w&id=57720
Attachments

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

When I bought this house back in '04 there was no garage. Previous house had a garage and sheltered patio. I had the '78 Suzuki GS550 and the GL1000 Wing. I knew I needed to have some sort of shelter, so I built the 8'x8' shed you see in some of these pictures. With some difficulty I could get both the Suzuki and the 'Wing in the shed. Plans were to someday build a garage.

In '05 I acquired the GL1100 for cheap. Three bikes and no garage, no way they'd all fit in the shed. I decided three bikes was too many and sold the Suzuki, invested the cash into the GL1100 project bike (Hadn't run in over 10 years).

So I get the GL1100 running nicely and she becomes my main rider, has the Vetter bags and trunk, and a stereo. Still loved the 1000 though. But no way to get two 'Wings in the little shed. Then comes the Blizzard Early '06. The poor 1000 was out in the weather!

Blizzard 2006
Blizzard 2006

1100 in shed Blizzard '06
1100 in shed Blizzard '06

Poor GL1000 covered in snow, Blizzard '06
Poor GL1000 covered in snow, Blizzard '06

So sadly Summer 2006 I decided to sell her.

GL1000 for Sale >sniff<
GL1000 for Sale >sniff<

GL1000 for Sale >sniff<
GL1000 for Sale >sniff<

In 2013 I finally built my 480sq-ft garage. In 2017 bought the 1500. Now I don't have to sell bikes for lack of shelter!

Current crop of bikes 2019
Current crop of bikes 2019

Those are homemade Aluminum Speaker Cabinets on Vetter Trunk, <br />look kinda goofy but sound really good with 60 watt amp.
Those are homemade Aluminum Speaker Cabinets on Vetter Trunk,
look kinda goofy but sound really good with 60 watt amp.

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

avantiarj
Motorcycle: 1982 Silver Wing
1998 Goldwing SE

Post by avantiarj »

I bought a Silver wing a few years back with only about 3500 miles. The original owner was a Honda mechanic and contracted Parkinson disease. He eventually died and his son in law inherited only to contact the same disease. The bike was mechanically prefect. I put about 25000 miles on it as a hospice chaplain. 3 years I bought a used 1997 1500. I have ridden it on thrre trips across country 3 times visiting all 48 states in the last 3 years. At age 75 it has been a check off my bucket list. No major issues. Worth the $5000 investment

Gowersoundman
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by Gowersoundman »

I have a '75 GoldWing, full dressed (Vetter Windjammer fairing, HangII custom seat, Bates bags and a trunk). I rode it to Pigeon Forge, TN from south Mississippi and back a couple of years ago, eight and a half hours in the rain going there, mind you. It never missed a beat and I'm still running it with points and condensor. The only trouble I had was when the taillights allowed water to leak into the bags and eventually shorted out one of the lights and blew a fuse. Fortunately, I had a CyberLight brake light (how many of you remember those) in addition to the stock taillight. I'd ride it to California and back if it was a little more comfortable although, my '03 1800 would be my go-to otherwise. I need to install those barbacks but I gotta extend the handlebar switch wires first.

billball
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100

Post by billball »

Hi everyone,
I'm not sure if anybody is still interested but I just bought a 1983Goldwing GL 1100 at a steal of a price (the owner lived out of town)But this bike is in beautiful condition and is a full load bike. He told my up front that he didn't have the Helmut's and the stereo didn't work and way to expensive to repair (no big deal blue tooth works great). In my new Helmut.
Getting back to the point is when I got to this guys place and he sent me a video of the bike and I paid him before I even seen the bike, When he opened his garage door this guy had 2 brand new Harleys in his garage, He bought the Goldwing as a big starter bike and then changed to a Harleys.
Here are My thoughts and my thoughts only but I had a Harley Sportster and I just hated the bike I would take a Goldwing over that Harley any day.
Just my thoughts

Bill Ball

billball
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100

Post by billball »

I just picked up a 1983 GL1100 with 76000 kms on it and the bike looks like new and runs great I put 255 kms on it today.
Love the bike.
It's greats