Ever thought about why older wings are for sale

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Ever thought about why older wings are for sale

Post by WingAdmin »

JustGeorge wrote:and they just keep going and going and go(oldw)ing.

I have a wee bit of a problem here. I started my bike life with an 82 I'state with more goodies on it than most Aspys I saw around. Absolutely loved that bike. I have not the foggiest idea why I decided to sell it after a few years. Outside too long without a toque I suspect.
Anyway, after several years of no bike in the garage I find that I now have three.
A 79 GL1000 that runs great and is starting to look pretty good.
An 80 GL1100 that also runs good. Needs belts and carbs worked on. Is currently home-painted a rather nasty blue.
And, an 83 I'state that also runs quite well and also needs the belts and carbs done.
My dilemma - - - I have to sell one or two of them But which one(s)???
I am really starting to like the looks of the 79. You know, the dash and the guages on the tank and all. Kinda cool.
But, I still really like the look of the Hondaline fairing on the other two. Although, the 809 has some strange Honda luggage on it.
Also, the 79 has the lowest mileage at 66,000 KMs. or about 35,000 miles. The 80 has 65,000 miles and the 83 has 75,000 miles.
So, does anybody see the horrible predicament I now find myself in? Does anyone feel sorry for me???
It all depends on the riding you intend to do, I suppose. If you're just tooling around town or cruising for fun, I might be inclined to keep the GL1000.

Actually, scratch that, I'd keep the GL1000 regardless. :)

I'd then just sell one of the 1100's - whichever one you're less attached to.

britman
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Post by britman »

Well if it wasn't for all the good old wings out there i know i couldn't afford a new bike or a used for a few thousand . I got my first wing for free mt neighbor got it for free with two bad engines . So he said to me if i help him get it running its mine well im not stupid so we got it running . Ive been riding it for 6 years now as i still cant afford to upgrade . Of course Ive added to it to make it more comfortable for me and yes my Harley riding friends hate me as it just keeps going never missing a beat while they look through the window as the tech trys to fix there bike . Then the local bike shop had a wing just sitting out back that the last owner couldnt afford the carb job on it so he gave to the owner . I was getting parts off of it as he was parting it out i was there one day and he said i need to get rid of this wing as its taking up to much room in the shop . So i had a bonus from work burning a hole in my wallet so i said ill give you 300 for it well it was sold . I went home to get the neighbors trailer he wanted to know what for i said a bike hes like boy your in trouble with the wife well she though i was joking until she saw it . So that cost me a good nosh up the wife ate well that night . So its now a standard wing goes like s--t off a shovel has Sportster mufflers on it so it sounds good i need to put a new water pump in it then i think ill sell so i can find some thing else to play with . And i think most people think that one day im going to get the bike going again and then the cost makes them sell it or there dad or grand dad has passed away and the bike is just sitting so they sell it . And there's wings on my local Craigs list all the time maybe two or three a week going for 300 bucks or there's one now going for 4000 for an 81 with 5000 miles on it and they sell fast as people know the Honda name or they know some one that has one

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

If there's one thing I love about the old wings and the forums like this one that support them, it's that it allows people who financially couldn't otherwise afford to have/maintain/run a bike, to not only have a great bike, but be able to ride it all the time without paying a fortune to keep it running.

dawgout81
Motorcycle: 1988 1500

Post by dawgout81 »

I could not do it without the great "how--to's" and other advice offered here.

It is absolutely a wonderful "ride" for the price. Actually it is a great ride for any price. A great bike that I am totally excited to keep up on.

I am planning a 6000 mile ride this coming summer and am getting more and more confident that the 31 year old bike will do better than the 57 year old rider.

Thanks again for all the help here that make older wings a bargin and bikes that take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Post by actionpack »

i know it sure hurt and still does when i watched my wing going down my drive way on its new owner , my joint desease put a fast stop to our rideing fun , a trike mite be the answer , but the funds are dryed up and my wife and i have used up our bodys on the only thing we were good at , hard labor , ride on everybody and enjoy every moment of road time you can get , cause we just don't know about things life deals us ,

fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Post by fastf »

I bought my 1200 LTD about a year and a half ago never owned a Goldwing I had read and talked to people that had own them and they said how smooth the bike was .I wanted a newer model bike and a friend of mine told me to buy a earlier model and keep it alittle while and sell it and use the money and put toward a newer bike maybe later I could put more money with what I made off of my old LTD .I found this bike from another friend the guy that owned it his neighbor owned before him and sold it to him.I asked him did he want to sell the bike he said yes but it was in Macon Georgia in the shop and he was geting the brake seen about.He and I rode down to the Honda dealership took one look at the bike and said I would buy it from him the bike was in rough condition. I road it home I had not road a Goldwing before and once I sat on it I realized it wasn't a lite bike and I am also 5'9 with short nubby legs.Once I got the feel of the bike the guy that I bought the bike from told me you can actually ride the old girl I had to tell him I hadn't been on a bike in almost 30 years it took me two weeks cleaning rust and such the second week a friend and I road to my brothers house and comming home it put me down in the dark just luckly my brother lived close by so we could load it on his trailor.One thing about the fuel injected 1200 if the electrics ain't right everything stops came to this room and some of the members said stator and said get ready you are going to have to pull the engine.I ordered a new stator to later find I didn't need a stator but the rectifier was shot.So while I was doing everything I hard wired the yellow wires to the stator.I talked to so many people in the forum about different things who own these bikes and they pointed out what they did to keep their bikes running.I have replaced and cleaned and polished this old girl let me tell you folks something I can fire her up and get on her and it gives me the best time and I get my wife on her makes it more enjoyable she will run along at 65-70 miles per hour and not breath hard .Last year I wrote a little article Letting a Old Wing Showing her Wings everything I have wrote is the truth when you can buy a old wing and work on her and bring her to like new and enjoy it like I have is saying something she is not the Queen of the ball but when you look at it she was 27 years ago and was way ahead of her time.Everyone thanks for letting telling my story and God Bless .

tbruno
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing

Post by tbruno »

I do not know, But I am going to start looking for an older bike so that I can have two, in case one goes in the shop I will have a back up, sort of like an extra cup of coffee. When I break down I have an extra.

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Post by D2D »

I've been a shade tree wrencher all my life and have owned many bikes from BSAs and Nortons, to Harleys and Hondas. I always had to have a two wheeler under me in my younger years. At one time I owned 7 different bikes; but alas, I got married, things happened ( as they do in everyone's life ) and my stable dwindled til there were none left. Wife and kids and homestead came first and kept me busy and bikes were just an after thought as I watched others tool on by. Back in 2000 I got injured at work and very nearly lost my hands and thought for sure my wrenching days were over; but life has a funny way of taking care of itself and I got a second chance. One day a new neighbor of mine asked me if I knew anything about bikes and if I could help him with an old Honda CB750 that he was trying to get started so he could sell it on craigslist. He wasn't asking much for it and I ended up buying it off of him. Figured if I was going to help get it started, I may as well buy it, fix it up and sell it myself, which is what I did. It took some time, but I found out that if I worked slow, didn't try to do to much too fast, I could still wrench. Then I took some of that money I made and bought a 78 CX500 for $150. and an 82 GL500 Silverwing for $200. off of craigslist, restored them both and was gonna keep them til life came calling again and I had to let them both go last year. Well once again, life through me a curve and while out at a yard sale with the wife I happened to come across an old 78 GL1000 pokin out from under a tarp beside this garage, asked the women having the yard sale about it and to make a long story short I got it for $150, with a Vetter fairing and hard saddle bags. It had belonged to her son and he had left it with them with the intentions of coming back to get it; but never did and they just wanted it out of the yard. I had seen one of these brand spanking new back in 78 at a Honda dealership and it had caught my eye and I dreamed about owning one for weeks; but it was way out of my price range at the time. Oh well, some day. Well that some day finally came, and I got my wish, albeit many years later; but I'll take it anyway it happened.
The old girl hadn't been on the road since 1982 and it only had 17,200 miles on it, hardly broken in, but it sure was in sad shape. I stripped her down to bare frame and like many before me, gave her all the attention to detail and put her back together, replacing what it needed and spending days getting it back to as close to showroom as I could. I have since put 4000 miles on her and I gotta tell ya it was all I thought it would be back when I first laid eyes on this model. I marvel at the feel and sound and response I get when I give her a bit of gas and ride around on the twisting backroads here in New Hampshire where I live. I've taken several long trips and have had no issues with getting there and back home again. Parts are easy to come by, working on them isn't all that bad even with bad hands and the looks I have gotten at bike shops, and meets says it all. Maybe it's just me, but of all of the bikes I've owned and worked on, this one has that something special feel to it, so much so, I have since racked up two more off of craigslist and have added them to my stable.

fastf

Post by fastf »

D2d you feel like I do these bikes are amazing they have a low end grunt it's hard to explain.These deserve to be kept running they carried the load for Honda for many a years with out these early bikes Honda would not have the 1500 and the 1800 these bike when they were built were way ahead of their time.I wanted a 1000 and the dealer I knew said he had sold all he could get for that year this was in 1977 Suzuki had just came out with the GS-750 that year so I just had to have a bike so I bought it put a Windjammer ss fairing with lowers it was a very good bike but in my heart I still wanted a Goldwing some day and by luck I ran up on this old gal I road her today and it just blow my mind how good she runs and how good the old gal looks I'm tickeled to death.Yes you can go out and buy a new 1800 but something about the early fours the 1500 and 1800 cannot come close to.One will the 1500 or 1800 will be running in 27 or 35 years from now? Who knows some of us will be with our lord and some of us will be telling out grand children about these old love affair.

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf »

IF Honda was "smart"...(I've already shared my impressions about Honda smart (not) regarding their so called 40th anniversary Goldwing)...they would manufacture and sell GL1200's again!

Think about it for a moment... The 1200 series had fuel injection in the SEi and Ltd. Plus cruise control. I am sure Honda has all the engineering specs, etc....they could easily manufacture them and sell them for $14,995. It would attract a LOT of new riders to touring and many of us who just can't afford a new 1800 and don't want a motorcycle that weighs close to a half ton. And of course the stator issues would not be present and the bike would have a new warranty of course. I still regard the 1987 Aspencade as the finest limited production Goldwing made.

If Ford can reinvent the Mustang, why can't Honda 'reimagine' the Goldwing?

I picked the 1200 series as it offered the fuel injection, cruise control and hydraulic valve adjusters.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

There's no way they could sell the GL1200 as it was as a "new" bike today. It wouldn't pass the stricter emissions today. The EFI would need to be reprogrammed, perhaps catalysts added to the exhaust.

fastf

Post by fastf »

The 1800 engine hasn't had much improvements since it once came out. Yes they would have to scrap the fuel injection and muffler system the 1500 has carbs no catilitic converter.The 1800 doesn't have direct injection and haven't upped the horses actually the 1800 is ready for a complete upgrade.Like a 2000cc virsion direct injection and a reversed trike version and such actually like I have said the old fours were way ahead of their times and Honda need to keep their parts bay open so people can keep the old girl running take a good look as Harley Davidson there is more parts for these bikes than you can even talk about.

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Post by silverado6x6 »

Here in Alaska most of the state has been under the thumb of the Harley Davidson advertising programs, on Craigslist it's mostly Harley bikes, hardly any Goldwings at all, have not seen anything older than a gl1500 in well over a month, I saw two GL1800 bikes, one gl1500 in the last couple of weeks, most people I run into get a dismayed look on their face when I say I restore motorcycles but not Harleys, they have been programmed into thinking that Harley is, has been, and will always be the only bike you can ride in America , and you are risking your very life If you dont. My specialty has been the gl1500 the last two years, I just finished my second resto-modded gl1500, well it's almost done, still waiting for a new headlight and windshield.

I have no less than three older Goldwings to tinker with this winter, a running 85 Interstate that just needs a paintjob, a show quality 81 that needs at the worst a better engine that may come from a donor 84. I have tons of spare parts for the gl1100 wings, heck, the first Goldwing I started with was given to me, abandoned and sitting in a driveway, engine locked up, tires dry rotted, wiring hacked up. But I got the engine to turn over eventually though it's not going to run, cylinders pitted to badly from having water in them. It's a donor bike now.

It would be interesting if Honda did revive the 4 cylinder engine, modern fuel injection, possibly a lighter aluminum frame, carbon fiber body parts, and with more refined electronic aids. My current project the 93 has now a touchscreen radio instead of the stock one. It's probably a tenth of the weight and light years ahead in capabilities. Bluetooth, dvd, micro SD, reverse camera, video options and etc.
That would be my first mod on say an 81, Chuck all the power hungry items, go light efficient with led, newer radio.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 »

Just got a line on a 1200 for sale. The origonal owner got a Harley and was killed going over a cliff. His mother gave it to his best friend and he couldnt ride it so it sits. His son works for my daughter and he saw me working on my 1500 and we got to talking I offered him $300 for it if it is complete. He accepted. I have to go look at it first. Like I really need another bike, but kinda hard to turn down. Maybe when I get mine finished, I can fix it up for my daughter.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag »

....and sometimes it is just meant to be. Good find.

Carolina Drifter
Motorcycle: 1979honda gl1000 Goldwing 86gl1200

Post by Carolina Drifter »

I,m not sure why people sell old wings cause they are great bikes amechnic friend of mine been working on bikes for 49 yrs says do regular mantinance on the old wings and you should b able to ride one 250.000 + before you have to do any magor work on one I have two a79 and a 86 love both of them rode crusiers for yrs and now wish I had gottogn a wing a lot sooner

Head
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000x2
1977 GL1000x1
1970cb750x2
1972cb750
1974cb750
1975cb750
1975cb750f
1966cl77305 Scrambler
1967cl77305 Scrambler
1974cb550
1974mx360
1981cb900f x 3
1983cb1100f

Post by Head »

I know it's an old thread, I worked on these bikes when new at a dealership. Then completely got away from the GOLD WINGS, playing with other bikes, Then a few years back I came across a very low # 75 GW and bought it and and started a every nut and bolt preservation. Not too long after I started to dismantle the GW a 1975 came up on CL, I went and looked it over paid $400. for it, thinking at the time I would use it as a donor bike. After an extensive bath 40-50 hours it turns out to be one of the best looking and over all condition older bikes I have ever came across and 14,000 on the clock. Battery-belts-tires-New oem seat-seals-carbs-cables-cooling system-clean up and loosen all the spokes and retrue the wheels +new wheel bearings and taper bears for the neck , Both of these bikes did not come with the swing arm grease seal for the splines at the end of the drive shaft and pumkin, found them after a long search. The low # GW is still on the lift,the 2nd is ready for cross country rides. After 1 decent high way ride I will sell it and put that effort in to the low # GW finally and get it off my lift.
That's my thought on why older wings are for sale!
PS-Crash bars and horns is #2
Attachments

Brad's 2nd time
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Goldwing Aspencade 1982 GL500 Silverwing

Post by Brad's 2nd time »

JustGeorge wrote:I have an opportunity to pick up an 82 Aspy that needs an alternator. Apparently nothing else. Well, belts etc. Is this a really big job?
Thank you,
George

A bad day ridin' is infinitely better than a good day at work!
we just got our 82 aspencade home, the fellow I bought it from helped me do the belts and Valves not a tough job Cpl hrs apparently the stator is a tougher job
Brad from Thrums

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Post by squirrel »

My 82 gl1100 has had 17 previous owners so either they upgraded or couldn't handle the weight , I've no idea but I got mine for a good price replaced all the usual things upgraded the starter motor and with only 74000 on the clock it runs sweet .but 17 previous owners makes one think why so many

Carolina Drifter
Motorcycle: 1979honda gl1000 Goldwing 86gl1200

Post by Carolina Drifter »

yeah a stator is a real pain just replaced the one in my 86 while I was into it that deep I replaced a lot of seals and other stuff all that remains is a drive seal and bearing do it now and not have to do any breakdowns later

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 »

your right about these older wings. I traded an 81 GL500i interstate for this 83 aspencade I have now, and im very glad I did as I do a lot of interstate riding. it does grab a lot of attention where ever I go. true, I had to put a few "hundred" bucks into it to get it back into good shape from the PO that butchered it, but it was well worth it. and now with the addition of my motorcycle windshield wiper, I get even more people coming up to it and admiring and asking me all kinds of questions about it.

I took it on the "dragon's tail",(if any of you are familiar with it) a few times, and every time I stopped at the scenic overlook or at the end of the run at the restaurant/gift shop, it draws a crowd, even the Harley guys walk over to it. I did a round trip from here to ft. Lauderdale Florida last summer, and for the entire 896 mile one way ride, this bike didn't use more than $75.00 in fuel and didn't even burn a half qt of oil, so that should tell you something about how good these older wings are. my next wing is gonna be between an 84-86 1200 aspencade.

stuart.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave »

I think that there's a few reasons older wings are for sale. Some owners are reluctant to spend more money than the motorcycle is worth, simply to make it mechanically reliable, and safe to ride. Also, some owners of older wings simply must have a new, or at least, a newer one.
I have a '78 GL1000 with very high miles, but I've spent a considerable amount of money on it to keep it as good as I possibly can. I could probably have bought a brand new one, with what I've spent on it. But, no regrets. I never had a shop of my own, to get serious about doing anything more than basic maintenance and light repairs.
Personally, if I did decide to move up, nothing newer than an '83 Interstate would interest me, and finding one with low miles, in the condition mine is in would be a challenge. After '83, they just got too complicated for me. My motorcycle doesn't even have a stereo, and has never had one. I never wanted one. I'd find it too distracting, and I'm a music lover. I'd find, that it would take away from the moment too much, but that's definitely just me. I guess because I've had my motorcycle since it was new, I've grown very attached to it, and I have to admit that I do like all of the attention it gets when I stop at different places. Actually, I think most of us have somewhat inflated egos. Some, a lot more than others! You know, people looking at us, and saying, "Wow, they're so free, and living on the edge!".........Give me a break!
Having said all that, my motorcycle, before I stored it away for the winter, was running almost as well as it ever has, and I was very pleased with it's performance last season. I took a 5600 km. ride to the Blue Ridge in the fall of 2013 without any problems. Don't get me wrong. There have been times, over the years, when I've had trouble while touring. I had a broken clutch cable in the mountains (I carry a spare luckily), a flat tire, and a few electrical problems, the occasional rough running engine, that luckily tended to fix itself, but never anything that couldn't be dealt with somehow. Now, I've got it in my head that I'd like to take another long tour this year, maybe back to the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho etc., probably in the 10 or 12000 km. range, and for the first time since I've been riding, I'm having concerns about breakdowns. What would I do if it had a relatively catastrophic breakdown. Who would work on it, or want to work on it? What about parts availability? How long would I be tied up, even if it could be repaired? It would cost a fortune to ship it home, to say nothing about the overwhelming pain in the ass of it all. I could sell it, as is, but I'd take a huge financial beating, because I'd need to do it quickly. The parts on my motorcycle are worth quite a lot. I'd probably get less for the entire motorcycle, than I could get for the exhaust system alone on ebay. I think, in the end, I'd just feel like dropping it off at a landfill site, fly home, buy a rocking chair, and take up knitting.
I'm having a tough time, like I said for the first time, resolving this in my mind. Anyone got any comments? Can anyone relate? Any suggestions?

What a whiner, eh?...................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 »

hey Dave:

I feel the same way about mine as you do about yours. my 83 has just turned 100,000 miles and its still going strong. im always looking for "stuff" to improve its driving ability and just as important, its looks. like you, I get a lot of people commenting me on it, not like, "oh wow, look at this guy living on the edge, out in the open", its more like, "wow dude, nice bike" and when I tell them its 32 years old, they cant believe it. they say, "no way, it runs so smooth" and I tell them, yes way. I get that all the time no matter where I go, and yes, I've put a ton of money into it also to get and keep it this way, and to tell you the truth, I love all the compliments and admiration it gets, and now that I have a motorized windshield wiper on it, im always getting someone coming over and asking me about it. I even get stopped at red lights and people would roll down there windows and compliment me on it. the only way I would get rid of it is if someone offered me over $3,500 for it. and honestly, its worth every penny. I have found that not too many bike shops are willing to work or even THINK about working on these older wings because its not in their "generation" of bike that they can easily fix. I even went to my local Honda motorcycle dealership once to ask a few tech questions about it, and they had 4 techs come over to it and tell me they never saw a wing as old as mine let alone work on one lol, so that should tell you something about today's bike techs.

your best bet is to keep it and just take care of it like your doing and no reason it shouldn't last you another 10-15 years like I hope mine will, and if I can still ride mine for another 10-15 years, i'll be tickled pink. that would put me between 70-75 years old :D.

stuart.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave »

roadwanderer2 wrote:hey Dave:

I feel the same way about mine as you do about yours. my 83 has just turned 100,000 miles and its still going strong. im always looking for "stuff" to improve its driving ability and just as important, its looks. like you, I get a lot of people commenting me on it, not like, "oh wow, look at this guy living on the edge, out in the open", its more like, "wow dude, nice bike" and when I tell them its 32 years old, they cant believe it. they say, "no way, it runs so smooth" and I tell them, yes way. I get that all the time no matter where I go, and yes, I've put a ton of money into it also to get and keep it this way, and to tell you the truth, I love all the compliments and admiration it gets, and now that I have a motorized windshield wiper on it, im always getting someone coming over and asking me about it. I even get stopped at red lights and people would roll down there windows and compliment me on it. the only way I would get rid of it is if someone offered me over $3,500 for it. and honestly, its worth every penny. I have found that not too many bike shops are willing to work or even THINK about working on these older wings because its not in their "generation" of bike that they can easily fix. I even went to my local Honda motorcycle dealership once to ask a few tech questions about it, and they had 4 techs come over to it and tell me they never saw a wing as old as mine let alone work on one lol, so that should tell you something about today's bike techs.

your best bet is to keep it and just take care of it like your doing and no reason it shouldn't last you another 10-15 years like I hope mine will, and if I can still ride mine for another 10-15 years, i'll be tickled pink. that would put me between 70-75 years old :D.

stuart.

Thanks for your response Stuart, and your last two lines. I was hoping someone would come back with that. I think that you and me are like-minded in that regard. I agree with pretty well everything you said. I'm lucky to have a motorcycle mechanic friend with 35 years experience to do work for me, at a very reasonable price. He's worked on my motorcycle for many years, and it's nice to have someone who is respectful, with a perfectionist attitude, in the way he approaches it. He's also a restoration nut with a 1929 Indian that should be in a museum.
Ride safe and ride far Stuart, I like your '83.................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Post by littlebeaver »

I actually have given this some thought, it must be a great bike for so many of them to still be around... :D I'm grateful there are so many left... :D