How to install Dyna Beads in your tires

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Re: How to install Dyna Beads in your tires

Post by FM-USA » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:38 am

dingdong wrote:
FM-USA wrote: I understand the larger beads you can hear rattling around at slower speeds. Could be a good thing if you like hearing it.

INTERESTING THOUGHT:
Pros / Cons on mixing different bead sizes?

:idea: 's
Might be a good thing, Two part harmony. :)
[tune, "High road"]
"You take the HIGH side, I'll take the LOW side, at 25 we'll meet in the middle."

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:26 am

VegasVic wrote:Can dyna beads be used with the TPMS VALVE STEMS?
Yes...but you might not be able to insert them THROUGH the stem, it depends on the design of the stem.

You can insert them one of two ways: Both involve breaking the bead on the tire, so best done when the tire is first installed. The first is to simply dump the beads into the tire as the bead is held away from the rim.

The other is to throw a thin plastic bag containing the beads into the tire. The idea is the bag will break, releasing the beads, the beads will locate themselves around the outside of the tire, and the empty bag will just float around doing nothing. I don't know if I like this method all that much.

07wing
Motorcycle: 2007 goldwing

Post by 07wing » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:20 am

I tried dynabeads and the certainly do work. I did find though that i was getting vibration at very high speed. I like to run my wing thru the gears including 5th from time to time, but found the beads did not work as good as a good balance at those high speeds. If you dont venture up there it will do you just fine.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Post by wingman12 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:38 am

I have found out that if I run thru the gears quickly I will get a vibration until I hit enough bumps in the road to make the beads move into proper balance. Slow progression thru the gears gives the beads more time to spread out. Then you can go like a bat out of hell. :D :D

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:43 pm

I'll static balance my tires as best as possible then an ounce or two of beads take care of the Dynamic balancing.

Only problem is between 25-30 mph the beads SEEM TO clump together and create a heavy spot so I try to not ride at those speeds. Oddly this never happened until this last tire but I used new beads on tires before, never reused.
My question is, do reusing beads clump together?
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Post by wingman12 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:12 pm

I would not think that used beads should react any differently than new, I have not had any such issues with the stainless steel beads I use. I don't know how the glass beads are, but they shouldn't clump together unless there is to much moisture in the tire.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 am

I have an In-line moisture remover in my system so their will be little in any of my tires.
Dry air creates static cling... maybe?

Then I was just thinking... hanging up on a repair but it's never been.

I use Liquid Wrench to get the bead slippery when mounting, maybe that's what's clumping, but again I use very little. Battlax's can be a bit ornery at times, I may have sprayed a little extra. I'll be changing it soon so I'll be looking on the inside what's going on.

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:06 am

Installed Dyna Beads yesterday. Have only ridden about 20 miles after installing. I noticed a smoother ride. I used the suggestion of blowing the beads into the tire with my air gun. That worked great, had them in both tires in about 15 minutes. Looking forward to giving them a good workout today.
Al
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

snb290
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing Trike GL 1800

Post by snb290 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 pm

How about just buying a much longer tube? That way you could get all, or most, of the beads in the tube before shooting in the air. Just a thought.

Happy Trails.

OldRider2
Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Goldwing GL1800
1977 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (Project Bike Almost Done!)

Post by OldRider2 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:57 am

This is an interesting DIY that I enjoyed reading. I have used the beads (I think they are the Dyna Bead brand), for several tires now I think starting with either my GL1100 or GL1500. A small HD shop I have used recommended them. I've found them to be very smooth. Before I sold the 1500 I had 18,500 - 19,000 miles on the E3 front tire.

I put a new E3 on the front of my 1800 last year and I've noticed I'm getting a vibration on the tire below 45 MPH or so if I'm light on the grips. I thought I told the guy to put Dyna Beads in my tire at the Honda dealer but my "failing" memory makes me think he either didn't have any and only did Dynamic balancing. I also discovered a lead weight stuck on the rim so I guess I didn't get the beads installed after all.

I'm going to try and reuse some Dynas that came out of one of my tires but they are kind of black, I'm assuming after reading these posts from rubber dust? Is there an easy way to clean them to get the black off from them? I realize if I somehow wash the black off the beads I'll need to make sure they are 100% dry before trying to put them in.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:26 am

OldRider2 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:57 am
This is an interesting DIY that I enjoyed reading. I have used the beads (I think they are the Dyna Bead brand), for several tires now I think starting with either my GL1100 or GL1500. A small HD shop I have used recommended them. I've found them to be very smooth. Before I sold the 1500 I had 18,500 - 19,000 miles on the E3 front tire.

I put a new E3 on the front of my 1800 last year and I've noticed I'm getting a vibration on the tire below 45 MPH or so if I'm light on the grips. I thought I told the guy to put Dyna Beads in my tire at the Honda dealer but my "failing" memory makes me think he either didn't have any and only did Dynamic balancing. I also discovered a lead weight stuck on the rim so I guess I didn't get the beads installed after all.

I'm going to try and reuse some Dynas that came out of one of my tires but they are kind of black, I'm assuming after reading these posts from rubber dust? Is there an easy way to clean them to get the black off from them? I realize if I somehow wash the black off the beads I'll need to make sure they are 100% dry before trying to put them in.
leave the weight where it is, just pump in 2 or 3 oz of Dyna Beads and get on with life, the tire will thank you for it.

I have 3oz in the front tire, and 4 oz in the rear tire, an extra ounce for each over the recommendations, but, it never, ever, feels out of balance at any speed, period.
~John

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:10 pm

FM-USA wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 am

I use Liquid Wrench to get the bead slippery when mounting, maybe that's what's clumping, but again I use very little. Battlax's can be a bit ornery at times, I may have sprayed a little extra. I'll be changing it soon so I'll be looking on the inside what's going on.
===== FOLLOW UP =====
Removed that tire this late winter (2018) & found the BEADS were coated black, tire residue. Put them in a white cloth then sprayed it with CarbCleaner then kneeded it like bread dough. Had to do this 3 times to get'm clean enough. I noticed no BEADS were broke.
Also there were black rubber balls in the dismounted tire, seen this without BEADS so I take this as usual & not related to the BEADS.
Inserted the used beads & all is fine, tho I added 1/2 oz last week which cured a slight tire cupping vibration. This is now the 2nd tire where adding BEADS smoothed out cupping vibs.
SO ANYWAYS... it appears the BEADS clumping has stopped in this tire. Around 25-30 mph there's no tire bounce like its heavily out of balance. The difference in tire mounting was instead of spraying liquid wrench, I sprayed a rag & wiped the rim & tire bead.