How to adjust your valve clearances

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
rogerf
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: How to adjust your valve clearances

Post by rogerf » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 pm

"Anytime you have adjusted the valves, it is a good idea to resynchronize the carburetors, as the sensitive carburetor sync adjustments can be altered by minute timing differences in the intake valves caused by valve gap adjustment".
OK! My next question is; how do I resyncronize the carbs? I have a lot of experience and training and mechanical ability, BUT little experience in cycle multi carbs! But I'm old now.

Thanking you in advance! Roger

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:38 pm

rogerf wrote:"Anytime you have adjusted the valves, it is a good idea to resynchronize the carburetors, as the sensitive carburetor sync adjustments can be altered by minute timing differences in the intake valves caused by valve gap adjustment".
OK! My next question is; how do I resyncronize the carbs? I have a lot of experience and training and mechanical ability, BUT little experience in cycle multi carbs! But I'm old now.
You start by using the search button at the top, which will lead you to this article: How to synchronize your carburetors :)

rogerf

Post by rogerf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Thank you very much for the much needed information!
Thanking you in advance! Roger

thefrontsight
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate

Post by thefrontsight » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Step 1:
Cylinder 1 Intake
Cylinder 1 Exhaust
Cylinder 3 Exhaust
Cylinder 4 Intake

Step 2:
Cylinder 2 Intake
Cylinder 2 Exhaust
Cylinder 3 Intake
Cylinder 4 Exhaust

I assume that the only reason to do this in this order is to save the hastle of rotating the engine unnecessarily. correct?
Michael

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:33 am

That's right. In the first step, the first set of valves are open, and in the second step, the second set of valves are open.

rirons0625
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

Post by rirons0625 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 am

Just used this to adjust my valves on my 81 Interstate as I was getting ready to do an oil change and had a little clatter going on. Easy to follow and very thorough! Smoother running and sounds alot better. Going to sync the carbs next, thanks again for the great tutorials!

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Post by dwight007fchr » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:56 am

Glad you did not goof like I did by having two feeler gauges stick together while adjusting the valve clearances...........but at least I caught my mistake before firing her up.

Zbigenuff
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Goldwing

Post by Zbigenuff » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:58 am

Thank you for all the information. Since I am a new owner to the 1983 Wing I am going to do all of the checks you recommend,so looks like the bike and myself, : are to get "in-to-it". :roll:

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Post by dwight007fchr » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:53 pm

Zbigenuff wrote:Thank you for all the information. Since I am a new owner to the 1983 Wing I am going to do all of the checks you recommend,so looks like the bike and myself, : are to get "in-to-it". :roll:

Zbigenuff.......Good to see you snagged an 83 Interstate too......hopefully we can share info. as we run into repair snags........Ive done alot, but still have a bunch of "to dos" to have mine totally up to speed. Good luck with it.

John612

Post by John612 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 am

Of course, there are many ways to adjust your valves; I confirm my measurements by sliding feeler gauges between the closing rocker and the shim, which is simply another method.

TGStorm
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by TGStorm » Sat May 05, 2012 1:25 pm

I am so glad you have this here,, thanks a million,,, ....... I had my left valve cover leaking a little since the day I bought her, not bad but just enough to "grease" up my boot after a good long days ride,, well it was due time to change my oil and after reading this knew it would be a great time to knock it all out at the same time.. Here is the thing, after I got everything off I found the feeler to be snug on 1 and 4 which seems odd to me, I thought I read that you want to adjust these every 8k miles,, well I have put a good 15k miles since I bought her, and know the guy before prob did not adjust them but they are from what I can tell in perfect adjustment. Is this right or could be right,,,, or did I just do something wrong ?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun May 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Just because it says to adjust them every 8,000 miles doesn't necessarily mean they will NEED adjustment every 8,000 miles. :)

fixbikes
Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha 920R(for sale), 1999 HD Heritage Softail, repairs to all (1man shop)

Post by fixbikes » Mon May 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Hello all. I am new here, don't own a Wing, but fix them (and every other brand that comes through the door).
Needed some adjustment specs, and found this forum.
Fantastic place, and as a (small) bit of return, let me make a suggestion.
I always make a habit of a go/no go check when working on valves.
Select one feeler gauge size smaller than spec., and one bigger.
The small one will slide through with no resistance, and the big one won't fit at all.
It takes the guess work out of the amount of resistance the proper size has when sliding through, especially at the end of a long day.

Rubber down, shiny up!

JamesSomers
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Post by JamesSomers » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Thank you for the very easy to read, and understand guide. When I started with step one I found that I seem to be missing the stator bolt cover. I wonder, what affect could this missing cover have if any? Everything else seems to have went well though. :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:27 pm

JamesSomers wrote:Thank you for the very easy to read, and understand guide. When I started with step one I found that I seem to be missing the stator bolt cover. I wonder, what affect could this missing cover have if any? Everything else seems to have went well though. :lol:
You might want to source a replacement for that. It won't let oil out or anything, but it could let moisture and dirt in, and that's not really what you want getting into that area.

JamesSomers
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Post by JamesSomers » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Will do. Ebay, here I come. Thanks for the advice!

B0b88
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing GL1100

Post by B0b88 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:25 pm

This is a great write up! Just want to express my gratitude :) I've been going through all the fun stuff on my newly acquired 81 interstate while I'm waiting for a set of 82 carbs from eBay. as I junked the original ones by taking a drill bit to the idle jets :oops:. Now off to replace the timing belt and seized front brake caliper :twisted:

kit-katICO
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

so easy a caveman...

Post by kit-katICO » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:45 pm

I did it! I picked up a set of feeler gauges at the parts store for $7, gathered the tools and set everything up.

The gaskets looked good enough to reuse just added a touch of rubber gasket sealer for measure. Your pic by pic is spot on. I had my covers off and back on in about 40mins. I wrote down the Part1/Part 2 on a sticky note, and used a sharpie on each valve i was done adjusting so i didnt confuse myself. Worked out flawless.

Cranked over with smooth purring idle even before the carb sync.

However, I wound up with a small Valve Tick noise either on cylinder #2 or #4... pretty sure its #4 as the ehxaust valve was only at .01 clearance before adjustment. I believe the adjuster screw may have been worn down a tad. But runs worlds better still.

Synced up the carbs the following weekend, wound up with best tank at 41mpg. '81 gl1100I

lawrga
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100a aspencade

Post by lawrga » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:57 pm

ur how to is great! my question is, on my #2 and #4 exhaust valves I have very little threads to lock the adjuster down.
is there something wrong here? Thx Ron

lawrga
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100a aspencade

Post by lawrga » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:31 pm

hello ron again, was thinking that the valves my not be seating. is that a possibility?
bike was running and stalled at a stop sign, couldn't get the starter to turn the engine over.
this is what started all this stuff. check the timing and the marks were spot on, pulled covers
and adjusted the first four and then turned 360 to mark and adjusted the other 4 valves.
the reason I started this is that I had no compression when the engine did start to turn over for
what ever reason.

teal_wing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by teal_wing » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:27 pm

piece of cake to do IF you read the words that go with the pics. :D Did mine in 45 mins. Thank you for the information.

FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Post by FlashBack » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:45 am

Good day,
So I decided to adjust my valves following this how-to but I am a bit confused. The hole where you can view the timing marks for TDC is at a slight angle. This how-to shows lining up the marks from what I assume is looking in from the side while the bike is on the center stand. Since the hole is at a slight angle, it raised a question for me:
Do I need to pull the shelter and look straight down at the hole to line up the timing marks or view it from the side?
I did the adjustment by pulling the shelter and looking straight down at the marks. Did I do it wrong?
Although my valves are now adjusted, the bike does not seem to be running as smoothly as it should. I did a carb sync following the adjustment using my Honda Line Vacuum gauges and the carbs where synced and in balance when I finished, but my idle seems to have dropped.
I am relatively new to working on a Goldwing and any help or proper direction would be really appreciated

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:19 pm

FlashBack wrote:Good day,
So I decided to adjust my valves following this how-to but I am a bit confused. The hole where you can view the timing marks for TDC is at a slight angle. This how-to shows lining up the marks from what I assume is looking in from the side while the bike is on the center stand. Since the hole is at a slight angle, it raised a question for me:
Do I need to pull the shelter and look straight down at the hole to line up the timing marks or view it from the side?
I did the adjustment by pulling the shelter and looking straight down at the marks. Did I do it wrong?
Although my valves are now adjusted, the bike does not seem to be running as smoothly as it should. I did a carb sync following the adjustment using my Honda Line Vacuum gauges and the carbs where synced and in balance when I finished, but my idle seems to have dropped.
I am relatively new to working on a Goldwing and any help or proper direction would be really appreciated
Just to be clear, this is the picture you're talking about:

The timing marks should be lined up with the case as you did it, looking straight down (or using a mirror at a 45 degree angle to look at it from the side).

That said, the cam lobes are at their very end of their travel (open and closed) when in this position, so a tiny bit off one way or the other is not going to make a huge amount of difference in valve travel (and adjustment).

You did a carb sync after, which is good. You said that the idle dropped, which is an indication that the sync was a bit out. If it's too low and the engine is rough as a result, then adjust the idle stop upward to bring the idle speed up a bit.

bikommuter
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I (sold),1980 CM400T, 2004 VTX 1800 N, 1986 VT1100C Shadow

Post by bikommuter » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:53 am

Just a note to speed re-assembly. ;) The last step in adjustment leaves #4 exhaust closed (rocker loose). If you rotate the engine another 360 degrees (#4 open, rocker all the way in) it makes re-positioning the valve cover easier. When I did mine, the only thing hitting the cover was the #4 rocker. There wasn't much space between the head and the engine guard. :? After adjustment, I gained seat of the pants horsepower, better starting, and yes a slight valve tick. They are solid lifters, not hydraulic, and they will tick a little if properly adjusted. If they don't tick it means your valves are not closing completely which robs horsepower and fuel economy. Also, valve cover gaskets and bolt seals are available from http://www.siriusconinc.com/. A Canadian comany I have found very helpful with several old bike restorations.

gristleheadsgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Goldwing Aspencade

Post by gristleheadsgoldwing » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:11 pm

Hey Guys,
Please correct me if I am wrong.
I adjust cylinders 1&3 rotate the engine 360 and then adjust 2&4.
Thanks,
Gristlehead

It is as clear as mud now...