How to remove, rebuild and reinstall your starter

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: How to remove, rebuild and reinstall your starter

Post by Oldbear » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:37 pm

This site has, as the tile says, a great collection of manuals sorted by engine and year. Right of the "Forum" at the top of the page.

My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

davefx
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100

Post by davefx » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Can anyone tell me how to hook up my starter when off the motor to make it spin?
I've replaced the battery and starter solenoid because the old one just "clicked"
Even with the new items, all I get is "click". I've had the starter off the bike but do not know how/where to connect power to make it spin

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:27 am

You need to ground the case. Then touch 12V to the starter cable terminal. Do not over heat it.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by Oldbear » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:15 am

And make sure to secure it to the bench somehow. They can wander...
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

davefx

Post by davefx » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 pm

Thank you gentlemen, I'll try that

deweyvmartin
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by deweyvmartin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:55 pm

This is one of the best HOW TO's I have seen...but there seems to be a discrepancy. The directions say to put the bike on the center stand, but the comments strong suggest you need to lean the bike to the left (on the kick stand, I assume) in order to keep the starter chain from falling into the engine....

please help me understand the best process.. Thanks

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Post by WA9FWT » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:33 pm

deweyvmartin wrote:This is one of the best HOW TO's I have seen...but there seems to be a discrepancy. The directions say to put the bike on the center stand, but the comments strong suggest you need to lean the bike to the left (on the kick stand, I assume) in order to keep the starter chain from falling into the engine....

please help me understand the best process.. Thanks
Lean to the left, or make sure it is on the kick stand. That way no problems :D good luck, it's not hard at all.

WA9FWt Phil

davefx

Post by davefx » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks for the tip. I have rebuilt the starter and replaced the solenode. Now its starts better then ever.
I do still have the issue of my NUT. light coming on every time I pull the clutch in. Not sure how to fix that annoyance
And I just want to tell whoever that I tried downloading the service manual for my bike from this site.n I dont know if its just me but I got nowhere. Except some ****, run around downloader that never came up with a manual at all. Just saying

RandyN
Motorcycle: 1983 goldwing Interstate

Post by RandyN » Sat May 17, 2014 7:46 pm

The article was great. I did have some trouble getting mine back in and went back to read more posts beyond the initial instructions. Once I did that (and tidied up the splines I damaged ), it popped right in. It turns over far better now.
Thanks
Randy

davefx

Post by davefx » Sun May 18, 2014 3:52 pm

RandyN wrote:The article was great. I did have some trouble getting mine back in and went back to read more posts beyond the initial instructions. Once I did that (and tidied up the splines I damaged ), it popped right in. It turns over far better now.
Thanks
Randy
Well it was all for nothing. I went for a short ride, everything seemed and sounded normal. The bike ran perfectly. When I tried leaving again the bike wouldnt turn over. So we tried push starting it, it seemed we couldnt get it going fast enough as the rear tire wouldnt turn. Next we tried pull starting it with a truck. Dropping it into second gear the rear tire just slid.
I removed the starter and it was fine, spinning freely. I pulled the plugs and tried turning it over while in gear . . . nothing. The timing belts are okay and the valves look normal.
Whatever happened to it seems major.
Looks like I'm walking

jerry8671
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100 goldwing

Post by jerry8671 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:52 am

Well after rebuilding my old starter didn't work I purchased an aftermarket starter by caltric. Had to change the gear (new one slightly smaller than factory), but other than that it went smooth. Worked great for a little over a year then it too quit working. I'm now thinking of purchasing a new OEM starter. I've found them online from $340-$370. I think this will be the solution to my problem.

stupidman
Motorcycle: 79 gl1000

Post by stupidman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi Wingadmin,
Have reviewed/studied this DIY Article concerning this subject. That being said my bike is a 79 gl1000 and in attempting to remove my starter after putting the bike on the side stand I have: unbolted the starter,caught oil drain in a pan, removed shifter lever, dropped header pipes, however no matter how I manlipulate the starter I cannot get it out as it seems cylinder #3 inside header mounting bolt(the one that is screwed into the head) will not allow removal of the starter due to some minor change between the 1000 and the 1100.
I am in need of ideas on how to remove this header bolt from the head without damage, also would rebuild procedure be the same for my gl1000 starter as is in this article for the gl1100 ???
your responce would very much appreciated,
stupidman

modell
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate

Post by modell » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:23 am

Thank you so much for this thread.I don't post often, but I'm often reading.
My starter in my 84 had all the symptoms. So using the info in this thread, I took her out. I bought the $30 rebuild kit off from fleabay and went to work. The only additional piece I needed to take off was the shifter bar to get the starter out. While I was at it I replaced the plugs and did an oil change.
Now back together, the bike starts like it did when new (well, almost I suppose). I'm not an every day rider, but things like this make me want to get out and ride, ride, ride.
Anyway, thanks everyone who was/is part of this thread. I couldn't have done it without you.
M.

elwoodmorg
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard

Post by elwoodmorg » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:46 pm

I have used this method many times on my 81 GL1100 and never had a problem. I always keep a set of brushes on hand just in case. This time, I got it out and when I went to put it back in, it won't go in. I get it lined up with the sprocket and it binds on the engine case. After MUCH effort, I have determined that the sprocket is not centered in the hole. This causes the starter to angle down and not go in. I checked the sprocket and it is identical to my other one from a previous starter. I put it back in the chain and it just doesn't come down far enough to center. I turned the chain with the sprocket and it turns freely. I have spent days messing with this and I am stumped. Anyone have an idea or had this happen to them before?? I need help! :?:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:19 pm

elwoodmorg wrote:I have used this method many times on my 81 GL1100 and never had a problem. I always keep a set of brushes on hand just in case. This time, I got it out and when I went to put it back in, it won't go in. I get it lined up with the sprocket and it binds on the engine case. After MUCH effort, I have determined that the sprocket is not centered in the hole. This causes the starter to angle down and not go in. I checked the sprocket and it is identical to my other one from a previous starter. I put it back in the chain and it just doesn't come down far enough to center. I turned the chain with the sprocket and it turns freely. I have spent days messing with this and I am stumped. Anyone have an idea or had this happen to them before?? I need help! :?:
Are the sprocket and the starter both original OEM?

As you probably know, the sprocket floats around in there, and has only the chain to keep it in place from moving much. If the bike isn't already on the sidestand, I'd recommend putting it on it, to help move the sprocket into the correct position.

elwoodmorg

Post by elwoodmorg » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:08 pm

The bike is on the sidestand (mainly because my center stand rusted out and doesn't work) The sprocket is the original one from when I bought the bike 8 years ago. It slides on the spline like butter so that is not a problem. It acts as though the chain is shorter for some reason. I did not do anything to the chain for this to happen. When the sprocket is in place, it doesn't hang down to the center of the hole in the engine case. So when I do get the spline into the sprocket, the body of the starter will not go in. I have literally been trying this for 3 days and caused me to miss a yearly trip so I am frustrated and searching craigslist for another newer wing. But I love this bike and it usually goes right back in. It used to take about 15 minutes to remove and replace my spare starter (prepped in advance) so this has me really stumped. Thanks for the help!! :P

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:11 pm

Can you turn the sprocket? It should be able to turn easily in one direction (the opposite direction that it rotates to start the engine). Try turning it several times to move the chain around through its path, just to make sure one of the chain links isn't binding.

elwoodmorg

Post by elwoodmorg » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Yes, I can turn the sprocket and chain with no problem. I just tried it again and same result. I keep hoping that I missed something and it will go in smoothly like it used to. I have found a good deal on a 93 Aspencade and I am getting tempted. Only 15K miles!! :D

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:13 pm

I just took apart my starter following the information here.

Two things I have found:
1 - I only have two washers on both ends. I have checked very carefully and there are only two washers, I haven't lost any. Is this going to be a problem?
2 - My brush plate dropped out before I was able to remove the screw and looks like it has been broken off a while since the stub coming up from the case is totally black. With this broken off, how is it repaired? I can't figure out how a new brush plate will work when the part that is broken off appears to be attached to the armature case.

I have a 1982 Aspencade GL1100 that I am working on.

Thanks for all the help.

Steve

popotwindy
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Post by popotwindy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Ran into a different situation when changing the starter in my '77 GL1000.
I had the bike on the center stand and drained the oil. (overnight in my 32 degree garage)
Then moved bike to the side stand as per many recommendations.
Removed the gear pedal to more easily access the lower bolt. Removed both bolts that held the starter in place. Starter barely moved. Certainly wasn't going to come out.

I then had to remove the exhaust as mentioned on some other how-to pages. Starter still wouldn't come out.

I was lucky enough to find mention of the fact that some GL1000's require the remove of one of the exhaust mounting studs.
I just took my time and backed it out slowly.

Starter then came out easily. Installation of the new starter couldn't have been easier. Kept the bike on the side stand for the entire removal and install process.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone else who runs into this same issue.

There was mention that the '77 had two different starters installed, one being about .75" longer than the other.

kwolski3
Motorcycle: 1970 CB450 Cafe Racer

Post by kwolski3 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Hey folks, I need to get my hands on two of the screws shown in the center of this image from the guide. Does anybody know where I could get them?

ram11397
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by ram11397 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:19 pm

Was just looking at this, my 82 aspy must have the wrong starter on it because my power cable is at the other end of the starter and is a bitch to reach
Rick
Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by robertdawber » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:50 am

I would not grind anything-or if I did it would be a last resort...i.e. the starter is not working and I have taken the engine out with still no luck.
I have done this with the starter in and it came out pretty easily. I wonder if you might have a tech near by and they could take a look and give you some advice.
Bob

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:25 pm

ram11397 wrote:Was just looking at this, my 82 aspy must have the wrong starter on it because my power cable is at the other end of the starter and is a bitch to reach
Rick
There are aftermarket "Rick's Electrical" starters that fit in place mechanically, but have the power lug at the wrong end:

robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by robertdawber » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:48 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
ram11397 wrote:Was just looking at this, my 82 aspy must have the wrong starter on it because my power cable is at the other end of the starter and is a bitch to reach
Rick
There are aftermarket "Rick's Electrical" starters that fit in place mechanically, but have the power lug at the wrong end:

Well, that sucks. However, would that interfere with taking it out? If the problem is with power attachment stud/nut being in the way?
If that were my issue I would take a sawzall and just cut the starter out replacing it with a new one.