Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to remove and replace your water pump

Post by WingAdmin »

CalGoldWingDude wrote:First, I'd like to thank you for the outstanding pics and instructions on replacing the water pump. Your instructions are really coming in handy as I am about to start on replacing my pump via a new OEM Honda part for my '82 GL1100A, same Wing as yours. Here's my question for you: The vendor sites I have visited state categorically not to use any type of lubricant, solvent, etc. as this would void the warranty for this pump. In other words, they state to only "dry install" the pump. Your instructions mention the use of vaseline, etc. in lubing the O rings...could this be a potential problem, especially in possibly deteriorating the rubber in the O rings? I know that rubber generally does not like petroleum based products. Here is a link to a vendor that has this warning: http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/Cooling1.html

Water pump Goldwing GL1000 GL1100 GL1200 OEM
OEM 19200-MG9-681 water pump for 1975 to 1987. DISCLAIMER: Caution Dry Fit Only. Use of ANY type of liquid, spray, gel lubricant, cleaner or solvent to install will damage internal seals and external O-rings resulting in possible premature pump failure. Use of any of the foregoing voids any replacement claim.
$190.00
Ignore what Saber Cycle says. They are notorious for giving out false and invalid information. Their aftermarket water pumps are also notorious for failing and leaking within months of installation, regardless of the method of installation - do a search online and you'll find many people who have had this experience. Incidentally, you can purchase original Honda OEM water pumps online for far less than Saber Cycle sells their failure-prone Chinese aftermarket pumps.

The main problem with installing the water pump dry is that the clearances and tolerances for the external O-ring seals are extremely tight - in particular the larger one that fits into the slot in the water pump body. If it is installed dry, the O-ring tends to "roll" while it is being pushed back into the cover. The end result is an imperfect seal, and a leaky water pump - and I speak from experience on this.

The internal O-ring seals against engine oil, and is permanently bathed in oil, so they are made of a material that is impervious to petroleum based products. My lubricant of choice for this type of work is regular ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

MSGT-R
Motorcycle: 13 F6B
81 GL1100 (gone)

Post by MSGT-R »

Dry installing an o-ring makes it very difficult and you will sometimes either cut it or roll it over. In short, you'll have a leak. If you used a very small amount of Silicone grease (electrical grease) or silicone lubricant on your finger and applied it to the seal, the silicone will not attack it (or the o-ring is made of some pretty cheap stuff). I've been doing this for years, and my Father before me (he used Vasoline back in the day) with good results.

I'm sure at some point in time, someone used entirely too much stuff to lube the seals and blamed the problem on the product, or the person used something that attacked the rubber.

A good quality o-ring will not react with silicone, vasoline (petroleum jelly), or automotive lubricants such as oil. Now brake fluid is an entirely different problem and should be avoided at all costs!
Don't spook the road sheep.
robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by robertdawber »

donk_67 wrote:This is a very timely article. I'm in the process of replacing my waterpump in my 81 GL 1100. Waiting on new pump and gasket kit currently. I managed to remove the pump without removing the radiator, I hope this doesn't cause problems with the install. You sir have my eternal gratitude. I'm sure this will help me from making blunders along the process. Mahalo!
Well stupid me-I never read thisall the way through.
I have mine on and back together-I was looking here to see if I could find the torque specs. Two things-
First, I am glad I did not put the water pump housing on prior to placing the entire cover back on the bike as it was easier to move the water pump impeller so it slid in place-thus the whole unit went right on.
Now-the question I have is can I take it off without ruining the gasket. I didn't check the neutral switch. It might be fine, I will know tomorrow-but if it is not (I took care to place it in the exact position)
Thanks
Bob
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

robertdawber wrote:First, I am glad I did not put the water pump housing on prior to placing the entire cover back on the bike as it was easier to move the water pump impeller so it slid in place-thus the whole unit went right on.
Now-the question I have is can I take it off without ruining the gasket. I didn't check the neutral switch. It might be fine, I will know tomorrow-but if it is not (I took care to place it in the exact position)
Thanks
Bob
Good idea about the water pump housing - although I eyeballed the position of the oil pump shaft, moved the water pump shaft to match it, and it slid right in with no problems at all.

Chances are if it hasn't been on for long, and the engine hasn't been run (i.e. no heat) the gasket should be OK to take off...that said, if you do have to take it off, do it very slowly and carefully!
robertdawber

Post by robertdawber »

By the way-the NAPA hose is a perfect match.
Do not forget to hook the fan wires back up before you put everything together! (second mistake in this adventure)
Also, did you all use the old clamps or go with the worm clamps generally found?
Bob
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

robertdawber wrote:By the way-the NAPA hose is a perfect match.
Do not forget to hook the fan wires back up before you put everything together! (second mistake in this adventure)
Also, did you all use the old clamps or go with the worm clamps generally found?
Bob
Yup, reconnect fan wires, step 140 - things get hot without it. :)

The hose clamps on my bike were in pretty good shape, so I went ahead and re-used them.
robertdawber

Post by robertdawber »

WingAdmin wrote:
robertdawber wrote:By the way-the NAPA hose is a perfect match.
Bob
Yup, reconnect fan wires, step 140 - things get hot without it. :)

The hose clamps on my bike were in pretty good shape, so I went ahead and re-used them.
There is an excitement brewing just before step 140 when you know you are nearly done:)!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Just in case you're tempted to save a few dollars and buy a cheap Saber Cycle water pump...read this nightmare:

DO NOT BUY SABER CYCLE WATER PUMPS!
giffen49
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by giffen49 »

I too wish to thank you for this article and all the helpful tips. My experiences may help someone, I had an oil leak from the weeping hole. I disassembled as per your article and found the water pump very solid and tight. My investigation led me to suspect the oil shaft seal (your picture #105). My only concern was the water pump bearing (pic 100) as this was a sealed pre-greased bearing and in my case was now full of old crankcase oil because of the oil shaft seal failure. I took a chance and removed the black dust cover from the bearing, blew out the oil and repacked the bearing with grease. This is not a long term fix and time will tell how long this will last. I am hoping the water pump will last this season. I replaced all the seals with a kit I purchased for my 1983 Aspe. Someone else mentioned that Pic. 109 #3 did not have an o ring and this too was my case. There was also no o ring for #3 in my seal kit.
Thanks again
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Glad to hear of all the success stories! There is definitely meant to be an O-ring on that dowel, there is a depression on the cover for the O-ring to fit into.

I have read of other people who have tried to rebuild and reinstall leaking water pumps by taking them apart and replacing bearings - and both of them ended up taking it all apart again shortly thereafter to replace the pump that had started to leak again. Your mileage may vary - let us know how you make out!
pussycat
Motorcycle: GL1100 Aspencade 1983

Post by pussycat »

Hi guys,

I am brand new to this outstanding site. Made a exchange a month ago for a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade and got screwed basically. Don't get me wrong, I love the bike but there were some hidden problems there. Like the water pump. After the dealer told me it would be between $1500 to $2000 to fix it, I brought my baby back home and moped around for a bit... Then I found this site... I decided to use my handyness and do this.

Real INCREDIBLE intructions you have there. I am amazed, seriously...
I'll post again once I'm done.

Thanks.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Glad to hear you're getting your hands dirty. Let us know how you make out!
WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Post by WA9FWT »

pussycat wrote:Hi guys,

I am brand new to this outstanding site. Made a exchange a month ago for a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade and got screwed basically. Don't get me wrong, I love the bike but there were some hidden problems there. Like the water pump. After the dealer told me it would be between $1500 to $2000 to fix it, I brought my baby back home and moped around for a bit... Then I found this site... I decided to use my handyness and do this.

Real INCREDIBLE intructions you have there. I am amazed, seriously...
I'll post again once I'm done.

Thanks.
It's nice to read your comments you made about this site.You can thank our Wing-Admin for all the time he spends helping all of us.Also welcome from Sheboygan ,WI. After you get your new purchase up and running, you will not be mopping around, and will have the accomplishment that you had a big part in it.Good Luck :D

WA9FWT Phil
pussycat

Post by pussycat »

The work is on the way... I have everything but the gasket and seals kit... should get it early next week... Had to order from the US... I am in Canada... Honda doesn't make them anymore... There are a few differences for me... The air connector is actually on the left fork and I didn't have to remove my compressor... there's only one output leading to kind of a control system for front and back. It's not in the way to remove the false tank. My neutral switch isn't in the head cover either. I will look around but it's not in there... else than that, everything is going according to procedures and plans :) . While I wait for the seal kit, I will remove and clean my starter... it's been acting a bit weird on the last few runs and thanks to good procedures again, it'll be easy... :D

On another note, the wife would like to chip in... would you happen to know an easy way to remove the old decals??? She would be in her galore doing that...

Thanks in advance...

PC
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Decals are tough - removing them from metal (like a car, or the false tank) is easy, a heat gun will lift them pretty quickly. However, on the Goldwing, you'll end up melting the fairing/bags/trunk as well. Goo Gone perhaps?
pussycat

Post by pussycat »

Thanks again...

I'll do some tests and post my results...
giffen49
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by giffen49 »

Followup post on the oil leak from my water pump. Just got back from a 4000Km trip to Nova Scotia, Canada and happy to say the bike worked great. No oil or water leaks from the water pump. The only annoying problem since finishing this job is the shift mechanism. When hot, the bike will not down shift unless I gently lift the shifter up with my toe and then down shift. Up shifts greats but down shifts no more.
I can only assume the mechanism inside is touching the cover. Any thoughts?
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

You're likely correct on the cause. The clearance between the shift mechanism and the inside of the front engine cover is extremely small. I have heard of people having shifting problems after doing this job, but in all of those cases, the people used cheap, thin Chinese gaskets such as those sold by Saber Cycle. The difference in the thickness of the thinner engine cover gasket is enough to cause interference in the operation of the shift mechanism.
WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Post by WA9FWT »

WingAdmin wrote:You're likely correct on the cause. The clearance between the shift mechanism and the inside of the front engine cover is extremely small. I have heard of people having shifting problems after doing this job, but in all of those cases, the people used cheap, thin Chinese gaskets such as those sold by Saber Cycle. The difference in the thickness of the thinner engine cover gasket is enough to cause interference in the operation of the shift mechanism.
Now that is good information to know about gaskets and that close tolerance. I just made adjustments to my heel toe shifter.
When the bike gets this old ( 28 yrs ) you have to inspect just about everything all the time.
Who has time to polish !!..
WA9FWT Phil
pussycat

Post by pussycat »

Hello PPL...

Took me a while before posting my results but... here I am...

My baby is finally feeling good and working like a charm... no leaks whatsoever... putting everything back together was easy and quick enough... if not for other problems.

While waiting for the gasket kit... I openned and cleaned my starter... ooops... I must have mist something... had to have it rebuilt... I couldn't test it at re-installation because there was no oil or coolant in the bike... it drainned my battery to 0, nil, nada power... a good charge fixed that... I re-installed the left mirror that was dangling... I just WD40'd it and thightenned it pretty hard... so far so good... and finally, bled my back brakes properly, doing the right front first and now it's all good... thanks to Goldwing docs again... and as for the decals removing... we tried many things... no result yet... winter jod... while my baby hibernates...

Thanks again and be back soon...

PC
jswag5
Motorcycle: 81 gl1100

Post by jswag5 »

if my pump is just leaking oil not coolant is it a safe assumption that the pump is fine, i just need a new gasket and seal set.

if i do this is there anything i need to inspect/grease/clean in regards to reusing the old pump?

low on funds and there is no coolant leaks just a slight oil drip. i let the bike run about 20 minutes the other day while tuning the carbs and didnt see a drip until i turned the key off, then i ended up with a puddle about the size of a silver dollar.
others ive owned

78 honda cx500(in pieces)
82 kaw kz1000p(still own)
83 yam maxim midnight(my dads now)
85 yam maxim x
79 kaw kz900
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Not necessarily. There are two sets of internal seals and two sets of external seals - one set seals the coolant side, one set seals the oil side. You could have one of the two oil side seals failing (and if it's an internal seal, it's likely that the pump is failing) then you will have oil leaking.
rjenkins
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by rjenkins »

Thank you for spending the time to do the step by step instruction for a beginner DIY like myself. Reading thru the acticle has given me the confidence to do the water pump job. I have gotten to pic # 85 where it says a couple light taps will free the pump housing. I have tapped a few times (30-40) and some were not so light ( :D ) and the housing hasn't budged. Any suggestion before I do something foolish and try to pry the cover off ?
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

You have to remember that that cover may have been in place for 30 years. :) All you need to do is to get it started to come away, and it will come away easily. If not-so-light taps are not doing the job, you can try putting a chisel in against the gasket - you don't want it contacting the soft aluminum of the cover, so put the point of the chisel in against the gasket - and giving it a light tap, to try to persuade the two parts to separate.
rjenkins
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by rjenkins »

Thank You, I was able to finally get the housing off with the chisel :) . I found that the water pump had been replaced before, but whoever did it crushed/flattened the oil side o-ring on the pump ( the reason for oil leaking from the weep hole).