How to rebuild your front brake calipers


Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19435
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 03, 2011 6:59 am



jswag5 wrote:i have single piston calipers up front on my 81 and am having trouble locating rebuild kits for them and they are leaking like crazy anyone know where these kits can be found?
Have a look at this page - you'll find a kit for rebuilding the 81 single piston calipers here: partsnmore.com as part #29-0003.



User avatar
jswag5
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:35 pm
Location: st joe
Motorcycle: 81 gl1100

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by jswag5 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:50 pm

i found them i looked at the pictures the first time and thought it was for dual piston single caliper, but then i realized one kit is for both calipers, i guess it pays to wake up before parts shopping, lol. it looks like the wing is down for a few weeks, property taxes are due so no moneys left for parts.
others ive owned

78 honda cx500(in pieces)
82 kaw kz1000p(still own)
83 yam maxim midnight(my dads now)
85 yam maxim x
79 kaw kz900

Andyb
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:30 am
Location: Berea, KY
Motorcycle: 1983 Interstate

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by Andyb » Sun May 08, 2011 5:48 am

Thanks for the link to the PartsNMore site. I just ordered rebuild kits for my 83 calipers. I have them apart and even though the piston seals weren't leaking, all the rubber boots are shot.

Can't wait to get this back together. New pads, rotors are out getting reground by True disk, new wheel bearings and new HEL stainless lines.

Andy

User avatar
florida_ump
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC
Motorcycle: '83 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by florida_ump » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Hey, Admin. Is there any cross over #'s for the o-rings? I need them ASAP. Cant wait for Fedex!!

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19435
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:13 am

florida_ump wrote:Hey, Admin. Is there any cross over #'s for the o-rings? I need them ASAP. Cant wait for Fedex!!
If you're talking about the seals that go in the cylinder, then no, they are a very specific part, and size tolerances are very tight. You aren't likely to find a generic replacement.

User avatar
florida_ump
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC
Motorcycle: '83 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by florida_ump » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:27 am

OK, Thanks. I just wanted to say that I appreciate your site. I purchased my 'Wing recently, and, even though it's running smooth, it's still a bit of a project, as it was not ran for a couple of years. In fact, the guy I bought it from removed the trunk. Problem is, instead of disconnecting the connector for the lights, HE DYKED THE WIRES!!! Not cool. I have got the brake/tail and blinkers rewired, but the marker lights are, well, a bit more involved. This site will make the process more bearable. Thanks again.

MedicMike
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 6:01 pm
Location: Oakville, CT
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by MedicMike » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:05 pm

KYWinger wrote:hogwild-
IIRC, it is because the right caliper is linked to the rear on 83's - mine is the same way. the front brake activates the left caliper and the brake pedal activates the rear AND the left front.....
Thanks for verifying this for me as well. I just picked the parts to rebuild both front calipers and noticed they were different sizes. Good to know.

MM

MedicMike
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 6:01 pm
Location: Oakville, CT
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by MedicMike » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:14 pm

I rebuilt my front caliper this morning. Nice and easy..... until I realized that the front master cylinder needs to be rebuilt too. Crap. :(

OlBuddy
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: West Virginia
Motorcycle: 2008Goldwing ,1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by OlBuddy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:54 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Those annoying little retaining brackets always fall off when you're trying to put the caliper back on - you're going to have to pull the caliper off to put it back into place. It fits over the caliper bracket (the part that bolts to the fork tube, and to which the caliper bolts) and gives a tiny bit of springiness between the caliper and the caliper bracket, to help prevent squealing brakes, and to avoid binding the caliper to the bracket as the caliper slides back and forth to account for rotor runout and brake pad wear. It needs to be there.

There are two on each side, on the top and bottom of the caliper bracket, facing in towards the caliper. They cling to the bracket with a tiny bit of spring pressure exerted by the little tab, and straddle the rotor. They fall off easily, so you have to make sure they are there when you fit the caliper back into the bracket.

My 82 aspencade brakes are whinning. The little retaining brackets are missing. Where could I purchase them?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19435
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:16 am

304pap wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:Those annoying little retaining brackets always fall off when you're trying to put the caliper back on - you're going to have to pull the caliper off to put it back into place. It fits over the caliper bracket (the part that bolts to the fork tube, and to which the caliper bolts) and gives a tiny bit of springiness between the caliper and the caliper bracket, to help prevent squealing brakes, and to avoid binding the caliper to the bracket as the caliper slides back and forth to account for rotor runout and brake pad wear. It needs to be there.

There are two on each side, on the top and bottom of the caliper bracket, facing in towards the caliper. They cling to the bracket with a tiny bit of spring pressure exerted by the little tab, and straddle the rotor. They fall off easily, so you have to make sure they are there when you fit the caliper back into the bracket.

My 82 aspencade brakes are whinning. The little retaining brackets are missing. Where could I purchase them?
You might be able to get them from Honda, but I really wouldn't count on it. You'll likely need to start looking at bike breakers and eBay for a used set.

OlBuddy
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: West Virginia
Motorcycle: 2008Goldwing ,1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by OlBuddy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:00 pm

You might be able to get them from Honda, but I really wouldn't count on it. You'll likely need to start looking at bike breakers and eBay for a used set.

Found them. @HDLhonda shop did a search with OEM part # and found 6 in another honda shops inventory.$5.49 a piece-shipping$7.50, all in all, cheap. Thank you once again for your info..
PAP

donraz
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:08 am
Location: New York, New York
Motorcycle: 1981 CM400C

Hi Temp Lube/Grease

Post by donraz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:13 am

Hi, thanks this is very helpful.
What hi temp lube do you recommend?
I was looking at one from Maxima -waterproof lithium grease, will this do?
Thanks, Don

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19435
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hi Temp Lube/Grease

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:42 am

donraz wrote:Hi, thanks this is very helpful.
What hi temp lube do you recommend?
I was looking at one from Maxima -waterproof lithium grease, will this do?
Thanks, Don
I wouldn't recommend that grease for brake calipers. Use a synthetic grease specifically intended for brake applications. I've been using Permatex for years with good results - if you don't want to buy a big bottle of it, you can get little "fast food ketchup" type packets of it like this for around $3, more than enough for both front and rear brakes.

Permatex brake caliper grease
Permatex brake caliper grease


donraz
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:08 am
Location: New York, New York
Motorcycle: 1981 CM400C

Re: Hi Temp Lube/Grease

Post by donraz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:41 am

thank you much, i will give it a shot this weekend
Don

User avatar
patbrandon1
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:39 am
Location: Bay City, Michigan
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)
Contact:

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by patbrandon1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:45 pm

colemadad wrote:Are you talking about part number 12 here? This diagram only shows 1. Geez - if so, I don't remember them at all when I did my calliper rebuild. Either I just didn't notice them or they weren't there. And my brakes do squeal a bit...
Hi colemandad. After the post I am quoting of yours above, the thread got a little confusing. You were referring to the brake retainer bracket (#12) in the parts diagram am I correct? I also had none of the retainers when replacing my brake pads and do also see just one in the parts diagram. I am going to look around the internet to see what the thing looks like. I will probably have to see another brake of this style in person to understand where they belong, and how many there are. I still have squeal in my brakes too, and the right front rotor is pretty warm to the touch when I stop. I rebuilt the caliper, and did it by the book. According to WingAdmin, the lack of this (these) retainers can cause the squealing. I got my 1982 GL1100i three weeks ago and didn't know the brakes were this bad. They don't start squealing until I use them a little bit. How often do yours squeal, and did you ever get the retainer bracket back on?.

OlBuddy
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: West Virginia
Motorcycle: 2008Goldwing ,1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by OlBuddy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:32 am

patbrandon1 wrote:
colemadad wrote:Are you talking about part number 12 here? This diagram only shows 1. Geez - if so, I don't remember them at all when I did my calliper rebuild. Either I just didn't notice them or they weren't there. And my brakes do squeal a bit...
Hi colemandad. After the post I am quoting of yours above, the thread got a little confusing. You were referring to the brake retainer bracket (#12) in the parts diagram am I correct? I also had none of the retainers when replacing my brake pads and do also see just one in the parts diagram. I am going to look around the internet to see what the thing looks like. I will probably have to see another brake of this style in person to understand where they belong, and how many there are. I still have squeal in my brakes too, and the right front rotor is pretty warm to the touch when I stop. I rebuilt the caliper, and did it by the book. According to WingAdmin, the lack of this (these) retainers can cause the squealing. I got my 1982 GL1100i three weeks ago and didn't know the brakes were this bad. They don't start squealing until I use them a little bit. How often do yours squeal, and did you ever get the retainer bracket back on?.
Try Auruoa Honda---Denver,Colorado. I purchased two there last fall. You only need one per caliper, but they have to be there.

User avatar
patbrandon1
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:39 am
Location: Bay City, Michigan
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)
Contact:

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by patbrandon1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:53 pm

OlBuddy wrote:
patbrandon1 wrote:
colemadad wrote:Are you talking about part number 12 here? This diagram only shows 1. Geez - if so, I don't remember them at all when I did my calliper rebuild. Either I just didn't notice them or they weren't there. And my brakes do squeal a bit...
Try Auruoa Honda---Denver,Colorado. I purchased two there last fall. You only need one per caliper, but they have to be there.
Thanks OlBuddy. I got a pair from our local Honda dealer. Wasn't exactly sure where they went because they were never there when I did some brake work. But I did figured it out and took a picture of where they belong before attaching the caliper. This may help someone else out that needs to put them back on.
Attachments



st1100boy
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:44 pm
Location: New Baden, IL
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by st1100boy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:01 pm

I seem to be having a lot of trouble getting the top, or smaller seal, installed in the caliper. It's as if the seal's circumference is just a little too big. To make sure I got the right replacement parts, I tried to reinstall the old seal and had the same trouble.

Am I missing something, or is there a trick to get that seal back in?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19435
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:31 pm

Make sure it is well lubricated with brake fluid, and that the channel it fits into is completely clean of residue. I find that it's easiest to push one part into the channel, hold it in place with my finger, then work the rest of it in while still holding the one part. Just be careful not to twist it as you go.

st1100boy
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:44 pm
Location: New Baden, IL
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by st1100boy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:06 am

Eventually I got it in by doing the hold & work around technique, but it wasn't easy. I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I was sufficiently frustrated to leave the other 3 dust seals in place. I gave them a close visual inspection, found them to be in decent shape and called it good.

I replaced the "fat & square" fluid seals, gave the pistons a good cleaning w/ the sandpaper technique and cleaned up the caliper generally, but I just couldn't bear the thought of 3 more battles w/ the dust seals.

User avatar
BENJEE2112
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:06 pm
Location: Port Charlotte, Florida
Motorcycle: 1995 1500i INTERSTATE
THE ONE STYLE "WITHOUT" REVERSE

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by BENJEE2112 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:55 pm

PARTSNMORE.COM THEY ARE IN CANADA SO YOU WILL A LITTLE EXTRA SHIPPING. BUT AT LEAST THEY HAVE THEM. I THINK I SAW 80-81 WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR MY 83 STUFF TODAY

User avatar
BENJEE2112
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:06 pm
Location: Port Charlotte, Florida
Motorcycle: 1995 1500i INTERSTATE
THE ONE STYLE "WITHOUT" REVERSE

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by BENJEE2112 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 pm

HI ALL.I READ UP ON REBUILDING THE BRAKE CALIPERS AND CAME UP WITH A GOOD WAY TO RESUFACS OR SAND THE CYLINDERS.USE A SOCET DRIVER IN YOU CORDLESS DRILL.GET A SOCKET SMALLER THEN THE INSIDE OF THE CYLINDER.WRAP IT WITH RUBBER SHELF LINER. TWIST ON THE CYLINDER.AT SLOW SPEED USE THE 600 SAND PAPER. THEN THE 150 FOR THE FINAL SAND. WORKS GREAT.I'M GOING TO PUT PICS ON HERE.
Attachments















User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19435
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:46 pm

It's a great idea, just be sure to gradually move the abrasive up and down the piston as it turns - you don't want circular grooves carved around the circumference.

DCpatrick
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:15 am
Location: Washington DC
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by DCpatrick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:46 pm

Okay, that drill polishing trick is awesome!

South Tx Wingman
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:50 am
Location: Pleasanton TX
Motorcycle: 82 wing a

Re: How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Post by South Tx Wingman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:40 pm

I found it better the way WingAdmin did his by using the brake pressure do the work for you.. Good write up..



Post Reply