How to remove and reinstall your rear wheel

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
wingwrench
Motorcycle: 1983 gl 1100a

Re: How to remove and reinstall your rear wheel

Post by wingwrench » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:58 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention that may help someone doing this job and is looking at swingarm of unknown year bike is that ... If your look at the u joint end of the drive shaft.. an 1983 will have a spot of yellow paint on it... and a 81 will have a spot of purple paint on it.. now I'm not 100 % sure of this... But I had two 83 and two 81s swingarms in front of me and both 81 had purple... both 83 had yellow.. so take it with a grain of salt but it may help you determine the year of a swingarm off the shelf...

jp98226
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100 Interstate

Re: inadvertently removed spline drive nuts [dang]

Post by jp98226 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:49 pm

jp98226 wrote:Greetings WingAdmin and all Others,

Yesterday I undertook the job of greasing my final drive (with genuine Honda moly 60!) on my ’83 GL1100I and, in my enthusiasm, I inadvertently and needlessly took off the five 14mm nuts retaining the slider pins on the final spline drive . . . I did not remove or loosen the actual pins (whew), but I can’t find the torques specs in my Honda manual for the nuts and I’m hoping someone has those numbers, or a ballpark estimate.
For information purposes, I am replying to my own post.

I never did find an official torque rating for the 14mm nuts, because, well, they [apparently] are not intended to be removed . . . unless something goes terribly wrong with the slider pins and those need to be replaced. So my choice came down to buying new "lock nuts" or new standard 14mm flange nuts; the latter to be combined with "red thread-locker" [permanent, high temp/high strength lock-tight product]. Since the threaded stud of the slider pins underwent some mild galling from having the locks nuts removed, by yours truly, I decided to be nice to the treads and use the standard flange nuts with thread-locker. I torqued the nuts down to a 'good and snug' 50 ft/lbs, which is a little less than 50% of their maximum-rated Grade 8 spec..

Just for fun, I tested the red thread-locker "gripping power" on another comparable bolt and nut combo (off bike), allowed it to set-up 24+ hours, mounted it in my vise, and slowly loosened it with the same 1/2 ratchet I used to originally break loose the spline lock-nuts. Results . . . the lock-threaded nut gave-way and felt very similar to the resistance I felt when removing the original lock-nuts. So I'm confident the new flange nuts/thread-locker combo will do the job just fine. Fortunately, the remainder of the final drive greasing and rear wheel remounting went easy-peezy and uneventful. Live and learn, I guess.

jp98226

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:24 pm

I have used this thread a few times. Thank You

My ? step @24 tightening the 3 bolts-- How do you get a wrench on them with out gumming the sides all to pieces to get them off? HOW do you torque them to 29Ft. # ???

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:36 pm

Wilcoy02 wrote: My ? step @24 tightening the 3 bolts-- How do you get a wrench on them with out gumming the sides all to pieces to get them off? HOW do you torque them to 29Ft. # ???
It has bee a while since I did mine. I think it was last early Spring. But I do recall that my thinner walled Snap-On wrenches and sockets did a good job. I have several different brand name sets of wrenches and sockets, and the Snap-On are a slightly thinner walled.

It did puzzle me a bit the first time I did this because there wasn't a lot of play to get a wrench/socket on those bolts. You may have to check with a friend if you don't have any that are a bit thinner. But it is a bunch easier with the right ones. And on my torque wrench I just had a snap-on stubby thin walled socket on it and managed to get the correct torque without gumming up any of the bolt edges.

You'll get it, just keep at it and smile a lot. Wings like their owners smiling a lot. :D

imadamine
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

Post by imadamine » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:59 am

Hi guys I got in trouble with my mechanic when I knew that he lost the spacer the problem is that I live in the middle-east and I cant buy nor ship to my country!!
However if someone can be kind enough to get a rear axle spacer and give specific measures and what material I is made of so I can do one.

Allan10
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Allan10 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:21 am

Morning WingAdmin!!
the how tos are great! have been working on a 82 gl1100I replacethe wheels and taking care of everything I can when its apart. The final drive has a zert which im guessing has not been greased in a Long time whats a good grease to use Ive been using a amsoil synthetic on my other toys was wondering if it would be good for the wing. Thanks
Allan10

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:36 am

Allan10 wrote:Morning WingAdmin!!
the how tos are great! have been working on a 82 gl1100I replacethe wheels and taking care of everything I can when its apart. The final drive has a zert which im guessing has not been greased in a Long time whats a good grease to use Ive been using a amsoil synthetic on my other toys was wondering if it would be good for the wing. Thanks
Allan10
Hi Allan. I'm by no means WingAdmin, and he will have a perfect answer for you. But I think I asked that same question on here somewhere. I finally just stopped by my local Honda dealer and they squirted in what they told me was best for it and charged me $3.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:57 am

Allan10 wrote:Morning WingAdmin!!
Allan10
The service manual recommends:

NLGI-2 or equivalent lithium-based multipurpose grease with molybdenum disulfide additive