Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to remove and reinstall your rear wheel

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am

It is definitely not possible to overtighten the axle nut. Well, obviously it is, but overtightening the nut will NOT cause the wheel to bind. If it is causing the wheel to bind, then something else is wrong.

The setup of the rear wheel is such that the bearing inner races push against the spacer inside the wheel, and the swingarm sides push in against those bearings. The axle goes through the center, and when everything is done up correctly, the stack of spacers, races etc. are held solid, while the wheel rotates around them. Overtightening just causes that stack to be held tighter together, but will not affect the wheel turning, because the bearings are still rotating around the inner races.

If, however, the stack of spacers/washers/etc. is assembled incorrectly, in the wrong order, or something else is done wrong, the result is that when you tighten up the axle nut, a huge amount of force is applied sideways to the bearing inner races, instead of them being held solidly in place where they are meant to be. This will cause the wheel to bind up (and will destroy the wheel bearings if you try to ride it like this).

So if you tighten the axle nut and the wheel binds up, you need to examine how you put everything together - you've missed or mistaken one of the steps, and the end result is a bound up wheel.

Making things even more complex is that the stack of spacers/washers/etc. changed over the years as Honda made changes, and not even the service manual correctly identifies all the changes for the different years. That's why it's important to identify how it's all put together when you are taking it apart, and make sure it goes back together in the same order.

randall_l_davis
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100I Interstate

Post by randall_l_davis » Mon May 06, 2019 2:23 pm

That's what I was thinking. I'm going to memorize that page in the service manual and make sure I'm not missing anything. As far as the DIY pictures are concerned, I am not. I took pictures when I disassembled it so I will also refer to those. And, I will post pics in the order of the reassembly so if I miss something, maybe one of you gurus can point it out for me. The part that is grinding is where the final drive hub meets the wheel. Its flush up against it. I thought maybe a little grease would lube it up but it has not. Keep the ideas coming. I'm no mechanic and I learn hands-on and this forum has been a real money saver in terms of labor and a few parts.

unkle buckie
Motorcycle: 1979 GL 1000

Post by unkle buckie » Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 pm

hope this helps for when the time comes... http://www.randakksblog.com/correct-rea ... -sequence/

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Wed May 08, 2019 11:35 am

Still no change in the rear wheel movement. I've taken it off, inspected everything and reinstalled. No luck. There is no gear oil in the final drive but I doubt that is the problem. I'm at a loss. I'm going to remove it and take multiple pics of my wheel and swingarm and post them later today hopefully. I need more ideas please. Thank you.

SonofWingnut44
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by SonofWingnut44 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:00 am

Hello!
I have not YET attempted to do this procedure, but before I do, I had a question about the Moly 60 paste that was mentioned as being replaced with the M77. According to the tutorial, the splines were, "liberally" coated with the paste. When looking at the size of the M77 tube (2.65 oz) I'm wondering HOW MANY tubes would satisfy this requirement. The original paste package looks like one would be sufficient. I'm new to working on this bike (or bikes in general) so I want to have my bases covered. I definitely would appreciate any feedback on this matter. Thank you.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1980 Cimatti XL Moped (Reclaimed by nature)
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK (Sold)
1985 Suzuki GS550E (consumed by gremlins)
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
2006 Suzuki C50T

Post by Oldbear » Fri May 24, 2019 10:20 am

SonofWingnut44 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:00 am
Hello!
I have not YET attempted to do this procedure, but before I do, I had a question about the Moly 60 paste that was mentioned as being replaced with the M77. According to the tutorial, the splines were, "liberally" coated with the paste. When looking at the size of the M77 tube (2.65 oz) I'm wondering HOW MANY tubes would satisfy this requirement. The original paste package looks like one would be sufficient. I'm new to working on this bike (or bikes in general) so I want to have my bases covered. I definitely would appreciate any feedback on this matter. Thank you.
Moly grease, like anti-seize, is the syphilis of the mechanical world - once touched it will spread to everything else you touch. A tiny bit can cover much surface area. If you put too much in there then it can spin out - coating your rim and sidewalls. I make sure that I have covered the entire surface of the splines (the nocks and crannies) but I don't make it thick. I'll smear it around with my gloves and industrial "q-tips". Once I'm done I change out my rubber gloves before everything in my toolbox or even my radio is covered in the paste.

I bought an 8 fl.oz tub 12 years ago and I'm still not at the halfway mark. I've done the old Wing twice and my new Suzuki once - plus a few other jobs around the shop. It ran me around $60 CDN but doesn't take much.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Found a piece in the parts box that was left over. I don't recall seeing it in the pics above but I'm pretty sure that's what's missing. I have attached pics. I'll update after I torque it down to see if it spins freely.
Attachments

unkle buckie

Post by unkle buckie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:29 pm

i do believe your problems may well be over...

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:40 pm

You're right! It worked. Yea!!

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Glad you got it resolved.
You are not the first to put the wheel on and have that big spacer still on the floor.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:14 pm

I hate to say it, but if you torqued the axle properly without that spacer installed, you've likely either wrecked the wheel bearings, or at least damaged them. Especially if you turned the wheel with it torqued up like that. The bearing races don't take kindly to huge side loads like that.

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:05 am

I did not turn it. It was on the lift the entire time until I put the spacer in. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that it's not damaged.

Aggy
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Aspencade GL1100

Post by Aggy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:05 am

What grease gets squirted into the grease nipple? and how much ( is too much)?

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:08 am

I was actually wondering that myself. According to my dad, he always pumped grease into the fitting until it came out of the fitting indicating that it was full. I can't imagine that you could have too much grease. Maybe the wrong type of grease. The grease that I used in the rear wheel grease fitting was all purpose grease. The red stuff. I'll post a pic below.
Attachments

unkle buckie

Post by unkle buckie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:53 pm

i think the popular vote goes to Moly 60...

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:53 am

Moly 60 does not come in a tube. And I thought we were referring to the grease fitting. Good luck getting moly in that tiny hole. Js

unkle buckie

Post by unkle buckie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:11 pm

correct on both points. i wish you well with your repair

gamartin
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate

Post by gamartin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:37 pm

WingAdmin, Thank you for the DIY walk thru and especially the string of comments. I went to change out both tires only to realize that on my Wing (1980) after reading comments that it had one too many spacers in it. That was shifting the wheel so that the brake caliper wasn't lined up right and constantly rubbing. I would have never figured it out until I read thru the comments that mentioned the differences of configurations between the years. This forum's info has bailed me out so many times. Thank you for all of the time you take to keep this site up and going!
Fortunately, since I got the bike, I had not ridden it much with chemo treatments ongoing.
Finally, now with new rubber, the caliper freed up and the carbs rebuilt, push cable and clutch cables replaced, it is ready to go.
I still am on constant chemo treatments (4 weeks apart), but am strong enough now to ride the summer/fall out. :D

unkle buckie

Post by unkle buckie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:35 pm

good for you, mate. keep 'er between the hedges

SonofWingnut44

Post by SonofWingnut44 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:26 pm

Hello.
I have followed this tutorial and YET was able to run into a snag; I am unable to get the axle back through the swing arm. I mean, there is about a 1.5 mm (roughly) edge of it (swing arm) that the axel is hitting. I let air out of shocks. I've removed them, deflated tire completely, reinflated and driven wood under tire to try lining everything up so axel could be installed.

The swing arm moves up and down whenever I raise or lower wheel, so I am NOT able to get it in. I'm (at best) ten feet away from being a shade tree mechanic. I've even had a buddy come over who knows his way around bikes and he's still scratching his head.
I'm getting DESPERATE. Not sure how to post a picture of what I'm talking about. I'm worried the swing arm may be compromised. This was my Dad's and though I know he took excellent care of it, I really don't have any records of what he'd done to it.

Thanks for any help or wisdom you can share.

Sonofwingnut
Attachments

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:02 pm

SonofWingnut44 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:26 pm

The swing arm moves up and down whenever I raise or lower wheel, so I am NOT able to get it in. I'm (at best) ten feet away from being a shade tree mechanic. I've even had a buddy come over who knows his way around bikes and he's still scratching his head.
I'm getting DESPERATE. Not sure how to post a picture of what I'm talking about. I'm worried the swing arm may be compromised. This was my Dad's and though I know he took excellent care of it, I really don't have any records of what he'd done to it.

Sonofwingnut
I'm sure you may have already done this, but have you tried to gently tap on the swing arm to get it lined up?

When I remove the tire, I always use my motorcycle jack and have the tire on a small floor jack and that allows me to maneuver the wheel more easily than on the center stand. So I am not real familiar with your problem. But I am sure someone that is will chime in soon.

Relax, you'll get it done. And the folks on here will make that possible.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:35 pm

The weight of the wheel is holding the axle down. Leave the swingarm alone, and lift up on the left end of the axle (the one with the hole in it) until it lines up with the swingarm clamp. Then tap it gently (a small hammer or the end of a screwdriver) to convince it to move into the swingarm ends.

SonofWingnut44

Post by SonofWingnut44 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:29 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:02 pm
SonofWingnut44 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:26 pm

Sonofwingnut
I'm sure you may have already done this, but have you tried to gently tap on the swing arm to get it lined up?

When I remove the tire, I always use my motorcycle jack and have the tire on a small floor jack and that allows me to maneuver the wheel more easily than on the center stand. So I am not real familiar with your problem. But I am sure someone that is will chime in soon.

Relax, you'll get it done. And the folks on here will make that possible.
Hey, thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I stepped back and stewed on it for a while. I considered taking the whole thing apart and starting over and then it dawned on me; I tightened the three bolts that join the drive shaft to the final drive? Anyway, when I loosened them back up, cleaned off the axle and reapplied some lubricant, the thing sailed right in to position. I mean, I was hitting that swing arm (the axle head was) by about 1.24mm! I literally did the happy dance! Thank you for these super tutorials and thanks, patbrandon1 for the encouragement.

Sonofwingnut

unkle buckie

Post by unkle buckie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:55 pm

i too have been guilty of the happy dance... valuable lessons come in all shapes and sizes with a honda !

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:14 am

SonofWingnut44 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:29 pm

I tightened the three bolts that join the drive shaft to the final drive? Anyway, when I loosened them back up, cleaned off the axle and reapplied some lubricant, the thing sailed right in to position. I mean, I was hitting that swing arm (the axle head was) by about 1.24mm! I literally did the happy dance! Thank you for these super tutorials and thanks, patbrandon1 for the encouragement.

Sonofwingnut
You're welcome. I appreciate you keeping us updated on the solution. It may prove useful to others that could run into this problem. That's one of the great things about this site. People sharing both the problems that can be run into, and the solutions they come to. Glad you got it figured out.

You and unkle buckie have given me an idea :idea: for a thread in Goldwing Chat. I'll ask people to take a video or picture and share their "Happy Dances" that have happened when they've reached solutions while working on their Wings, or anything else. Maybe people could find these useful as well because they may need some ideas for a "Happy Dance". ;)