How to remove and reinstall your rear wheel

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
sperryunivac
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
1969 Bsa Lightning

Re: How to remove and reinstall your rear wheel

Post by sperryunivac » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:11 pm

I finally got the spline drive off the rim by using a pry bar under the drive spline and exerting a large amount of force as I worked all around the drive a little bit at a time until it 'popped'. The pins were a bit rusty so I cleaned them up and also cleaned up inside of the sleeves that are inside the rubber mounts. Does anyone know if these rubber mounts are replaceable? They could possibly get hard after a good number of years and may crack and deteriorate.
Also as a side note, I tried to remove the wheel bearings by using a 3/4" bolt as in this how-to-article but both the bearings were not giving up their home and as a result, the bolt would start to move after the third hit with the 5 lb sledge hammer. I had to use a blind bearing puller and even with that it took 10 to 15 minutes to remove each bearing.
So if anyone else runs into this problem, keep in mind that these bearings can be a bear to remove. Don't give up, they can be removed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:58 am

sperryunivac wrote:I finally got the spline drive off the rim by using a pry bar under the drive spline and exerting a large amount of force as I worked all around the drive a little bit at a time until it 'popped'. The pins were a bit rusty so I cleaned them up and also cleaned up inside of the sleeves that are inside the rubber mounts. Does anyone know if these rubber mounts are replaceable? They could possibly get hard after a good number of years and may crack and deteriorate.
I don't see a part number for them in the various parts fiche online, so I suspect the answer is no.

dawgout81
Motorcycle: 1988 1500

Post by dawgout81 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks again for the great "how to's".
Ah! Rebuild kits in all the calipers, cylinders. New pads and stainless steel brake lines. New Moly 60 in the splines and refill of final drive synthetic oil in the rear end, New timing belts and water hoses. It is coming together nicely....spring is not far away.

But one question during reassembly on the rear shocks. When going to reattach the shocks, they are about 1/2" too long to fit now and I'm having trouble compressing them. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the shocks compressed enough to fit the openings??

cafegoldwing_lover
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by cafegoldwing_lover » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:23 am

hello guys i have a question.. i torqued the the axle nut like you said at 69ft-lb for my 83. and um the wheel didnt wanna budge.. when i was in the process for putting everything back i noticed that my caliper bracket wasnt moving aswell.. umm if i untorque until everything was "free" is that ok?? or does that nut need to be torqued at 69 and i need to find out why its locking everything up?? any suggestions thx a bunch!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:41 pm

cafegoldwing_lover wrote:hello guys i have a question.. i torqued the the axle nut like you said at 69ft-lb for my 83. and um the wheel didnt wanna budge.. when i was in the process for putting everything back i noticed that my caliper bracket wasnt moving aswell.. umm if i untorque until everything was "free" is that ok?? or does that nut need to be torqued at 69 and i need to find out why its locking everything up?? any suggestions thx a bunch!!
It sounds like you missed installing the inner spacer, so that the caliper bracket is rubbing right up against the wheel rim? Can you see if it's there or not?

cafegoldwing_lover
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by cafegoldwing_lover » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:41 am

It is there, i installed everything on, i have to say there is a tiny gap between the outer spacer and the swing-arm, something about 2 or 3 mm. everything is on right.. maybe i put too much grease on the axle?? oh and btw i was pumping grease for the driveshaft joint and ive been meaning to ask you, how many pumps is needed cause if im not mistaken if i over fill it, there might be too much pressure and can be a potential hazard while driving :o .. no?? but for the axle nut ill try to remove some grease if i put too much, but everything is on right ... more ideas?? thx for helping me guys i really appreciate it

AndyB71
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 aka: Kirstie
1990 PC800 aka: Electra

Post by AndyB71 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:56 pm

I want to say a BIG THANK YOU for your time to make these wonderfull write ups. I am a newbie too and I found myself enjoying working on my goldwing. Your directions and pictures left me with no guessing. The only question i have to ask is how many pumps of grease did you put in the grease fitting.
Thank You a million times over.
AndyB
1982 Honda GL1100 aka: Kirstie
1990 Honda PC800 aka: Electra
2004 150 cc scooter aka: Chi

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:38 pm

AndyB71 wrote:I want to say a BIG THANK YOU for your time to make these wonderfull write ups. I am a newbie too and I found myself enjoying working on my goldwing. Your directions and pictures left me with no guessing. The only question i have to ask is how many pumps of grease did you put in the grease fitting.
Thank You a million times over.
AndyB
The service manual doesn't say. All it says is: "Pump lithium based multipurpose NLGI No. 2 (MOS2- additive) grease into the driveshaft joint grease fitting."

I took this to mean "some." I pumped maybe 4-5 pumps. Didn't want to blow out a seal by pumping too much.

timothy1027
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100-Interstate

Post by timothy1027 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:24 am

This write up is BETTER than the factory manual! More detailed, higher quality text & graphics.
Reading this gives me more confidence to do the job correctly!
EXCELLENT work!
Thank you.
Tim Barber

TRIROK

Post by TRIROK » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:48 pm

To say Thank You! would just not be adequate. I have been working on a friend's '83 1100, a project that started out as a brake re-build, and, as you might easily imagine led from one thing to another, then another due to neglect issues I was not aware of at the time I offered to help.

Your articles are all understandably written and the photos make it foolproof. Now if you would just do the same for an '83 Yamaha Venture, I could finish the 2nd gear replacement and get my own ride back on the road! :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:00 am

Excellent, I love to hear success stories! :)

mcasteel
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by mcasteel » Thu May 03, 2012 9:34 am

Hello WingAdmin, I followed your reommendation and ordered some Avon Venom's for my 82 Wing. Tires came in yesterday and I am going to be working on getting the rear tire off this afternoon/evening. To echo the others on here, excellent write up it looks like but I do have one question. You mentioned in one of the earlier steps to remove the seat. I know you at times have extra steps to cover a range of topics so I am wondering the benefit or necessity of removing the seat??
Thanks in advance and I will let you know how things turn out
"I'm a single tail light in the wind"
"Keep the shiny side up"
"Pride is something you earn or achieve, not something you attain by accident of birth" - George Carlin

AMA / NRA / BSA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu May 03, 2012 9:41 am

mcasteel wrote:Hello WingAdmin, I followed your reommendation and ordered some Avon Venom's for my 82 Wing. Tires came in yesterday and I am going to be working on getting the rear tire off this afternoon/evening. To echo the others on here, excellent write up it looks like but I do have one question. You mentioned in one of the earlier steps to remove the seat. I know you at times have extra steps to cover a range of topics so I am wondering the benefit or necessity of removing the seat??
Thanks in advance and I will let you know how things turn out
You're right in that I will often perform several procedures and make individual articles out of one set of pictures - that's sometimes why you'll see things removed that aren't mentioned in the text. That appears to be the case here - I sat and thought about it, and I can't think of any good reason that would require the removal of the seat for this procedure.

That said...the reason I usually remove the seat for things like this is simply because I will be tempted to put dirty/greasy/sharp/etc. tools on the seat while working, without even thinking about it. Removing the seat means I won't damage it while working on something else.

mcasteel

Post by mcasteel » Thu May 03, 2012 10:09 am

WingAdmin wrote: You're right in that I will often perform several procedures and make individual articles out of one set of pictures - that's sometimes why you'll see things removed that aren't mentioned in the text. That appears to be the case here - I sat and thought about it, and I can't think of any good reason that would require the removal of the seat for this procedure.

That said...the reason I usually remove the seat for things like this is simply because I will be tempted to put dirty/greasy/sharp/etc. tools on the seat while working, without even thinking about it. Removing the seat means I won't damage it while working on something else.
Gotcha, I was scratchin my head on that one and the only thing I could come up with was that it may be necessary in an application other than tire removal. I have a saddleman seat which is just a bit larger than the stock seat and it was a pain to put on and I am avoiding taking it off unless I have to.

I usually drag up a portable work table to set tools and parts and such on to prevent (a) from losing them and (b) to keep me from having parts laying on the bike. Thanks for your help and quick response.
"Keep the shiny side up"
"Pride is something you earn or achieve, not something you attain by accident of birth" - George Carlin

AMA / NRA / BSA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu May 03, 2012 10:13 am

mcasteel wrote:Gotcha, I was scratchin my head on that one and the only thing I could come up with was that it may be necessary in an application other than tire removal. I have a saddleman seat which is just a bit larger than the stock seat and it was a pain to put on and I am avoiding taking it off unless I have to.

I usually drag up a portable work table to set tools and parts and such on to prevent (a) from losing them and (b) to keep me from having parts laying on the bike. Thanks for your help and quick response.
Right, that makes sense. I can have the stock seat off in under a minute with virtually no effort, so I think nothing of doing it.

I have a portable work table, a roller chair with a tray on the bottom for storing parts & tools, and a magnetic tray that sticks anywhere to hold parts....yet I'll still put tools and things down on the seat (or any other flat surface) without even thinking. :)

mcasteel

Post by mcasteel » Thu May 03, 2012 10:22 am

WingAdmin wrote: Right, that makes sense. I can have the stock seat off in under a minute with virtually no effort, so I think nothing of doing it.

I have a portable work table, a roller chair with a tray on the bottom for storing parts & tools, and a magnetic tray that sticks anywhere to hold parts....yet I'll still put tools and things down on the seat (or any other flat surface) without even thinking. :)
Putting the seat itself on was not bad, but with the saddleman seat being a tad bit longer and taller, putting the trunk back on was actually the pain in the rear. :twisted:
"Keep the shiny side up"

AMA / NRA / BSA

mcasteel

Post by mcasteel » Sat May 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Had a very successful experience removing both front and rear wheels and reinstalling them, these step by step instructions once again was a life saver. Thanks WingAdmin for all you do and for chatting with me a couple days ago.
"Keep the shiny side up"

AMA / NRA / BSA

Rlewis
Motorcycle: 1981 goldwing interstate

Post by Rlewis » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks for the help. I have 2 service manuals plus an owners manual. None of them are clear on removing rear wheel. You made it clear and simple. Thanks Doc ,

billy2dogs
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Post by billy2dogs » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:43 pm

I have everything done except pulling the wheel to the rear to disengage the shaft from the drive. It wont come lose. Is there something Im missing here? it will only pull out about 1/16 of an inch.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:33 pm

How hard are you pulling it? It should come free relatively easily.

billy2dogs

Post by billy2dogs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:00 am

Well I gave her everything I had by myself. My friend came over and the two of us fought it for an hour and gave up. We got about another 1/8". I think we could put some penetrating oil thru the zert for lube or maybe heat. I am really open for suggestions... I was suppose to go for a ride this coming weekend but doesn't look good now. I'm scared to find out what is holding it.....

billy2dogs

Post by billy2dogs » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:31 pm

Well 3 weekends now lots of broken knuckles and frustrated friends. Still no luck. Been prying, pulling, heating, Penetrating oiling, cursing, stomping away in disgust only to return and try again..... This weekends results.... The drive is still stuck to the shaft... #$%$^^$$^&^^&**(&^&^$%$#$#(*)(*(^^%$%#^%*&&(&*&%%##@%^*&*

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Have you managed to get the wheel off the drive? If so, you can try pivoting the drive left, right up and down as you pull, to try to release the shaft from the drive end. The shaft should also release easily from the transmission end however.

If you're absolutely stuck, perhaps two very gradually tapered shims (wood, to avoid damaging the aluminum) could be put between the drive flange on the final drive and the flange on the swingarm (one on top, one on bottom), then struck with a hammer to gradually pry the two apart, keeping pressure the same on top and bottom.

billy2dogs

Post by billy2dogs » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Well here it is now November and I have hurt many a friend in trying to pull the drive free from the shaft. Today another friend and his Dad came over and we tried again. this time for the finale we strapped a come along to a truck and started to winch it down.... pressure got intense but when we started to beat on it with a hammer it finally let loose. the splines are worn to points and Im guessing malloy grease wasnt used... So now I need to know where to get the joint and spline

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:21 pm

billy2dogs wrote:Well here it is now November and I have hurt many a friend in trying to pull the drive free from the shaft. Today another friend and his Dad came over and we tried again. this time for the finale we strapped a come along to a truck and started to winch it down.... pressure got intense but when we started to beat on it with a hammer it finally let loose. the splines are worn to points and Im guessing malloy grease wasnt used... So now I need to know where to get the joint and spline
That's unfortunate. You're likely going to be looking at bike breakers/eBay for those items.