A novel way of fixing starter clutch squeal

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1000
  • Sponsored Links
Smalls
Motorcycle: 1979 gl 1000

Re: A novel way of fixing starter clutch squeal

Post by Smalls » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:34 am

If there and since there is a kick strat mechanism is it possable to put a kick start on my 79 sorry if theres any misspeld wordds doing this by phone and wont show me what im printing

rudolphwolven
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 K1

Post by rudolphwolven » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:51 am

Pity, the kick starter was only supplied with models from from 1975-1977; due to difficulty to start up the engine by kick starter only it was eliminated thereafter.
Regards, Ruud
Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016--Image

Smalls

Post by Smalls » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:59 am

rudolphwolven wrote:Pity, the kick starter was only supplied with models from from 1975-1977; due to difficulty to start up the engine by kick starter only it was eliminated thereafter.
Regards, Ruud
Yes i know but it still has a kick starter mechanism it may be poss ablle. Maybe ???

Smalls

Post by Smalls » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:02 am

Smalls wrote:
rudolphwolven wrote:Pity, the kick starter was only supplied with models from from 1975-1977; due to difficulty to start up the engine by kick starter only it was eliminated thereafter.
Regards, Ruud
Yes i know but it still has a kick starter mechanism it may be poss ablle. Maybe ???
Can you fire yours up with the kickstrat

rudolphwolven
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 K1

Post by rudolphwolven » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:58 am

.........Yes i know but it still has a kick starter mechanism it may be poss ablle. Maybe ???
Sorry, I really do not know.
..........Can you fire yours up with the kickstrat
I never did with mine; it was stored / untouched for 31 years and is now dismanteled completely.
I advise you to open a new specific topic with this question; more people will read it; probabely you will get a good advice.
Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016--Image

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:13 am

Someone should add near the top, that this is for gl1000's. Not sure about 1100's, but I just did this on my 1200 and found it lacks the three holes for the penetrating oil. The silver lining for me was I could see my starter chain clear enough while running to see that it was not moving. I used a 3/8 bit and had a rubber plug laying around, I think from a battery box, that I used to plug the hole. At idle, no oil comes out the hole. Which suggests to "flushers," those who use MMO and the like, running the bike at idle isn't enough. It needs to go down the road leisurely to get it up in there.

For drillers, you'll probably get better advice at a machinists forum, but I experimented on a sacrificial piece of aluminum first. I found it best to keep lots of grease around the drill bit so that you could see it swirling and pulling shavings up and out. In my first attempt on the sacrificial piece, I stopped when the drillbit was going through. I did this above of a piece of paper towel so that I could see if anything would fall, and a big hunk of grease and shavings did fall in. The second time I maintained the drill moving all the way until it went through, it is difficult without it wanting to catch it at the end, but I slowed down and it went through cleanly. If I were to do it again, I think I would make "dam" of clay to keep a reservoir of grease around the bit. This was dangerous.
Attachments

GWClint
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Gold Wing LTD

Post by GWClint » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new here, and I came here because I have an 85 LTD that I bought new but don't ride much. Long story short, I had trouble starting it this year thinking it was old fuel I put injector cleaner in the tank and after a day tried again and ran the starter for quote a while and when it started I have this noise like the starter is still running. It's the same sound as when the starter turning the engine over, and briefly when the ignition is turned off. Is that what is being referred as clutch squeal ? I have heard many times of roller clutches not engaging but never heard of them not releasing.
Hope someone can clarify for me. Thanks in advance

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:05 pm

GWClint wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:52 pm
Hello everyone, I'm new here, and I came here because I have an 85 LTD that I bought new but don't ride much. Long story short, I had trouble starting it this year thinking it was old fuel I put injector cleaner in the tank and after a day tried again and ran the starter for quote a while and when it started I have this noise like the starter is still running. It's the same sound as when the starter turning the engine over, and briefly when the ignition is turned off. Is that what is being referred as clutch squeal ? I have heard many times of roller clutches not engaging but never heard of them not releasing.
Hope someone can clarify for me. Thanks in advance
Generally when the starter keeps running after the engine has started it's not because the clutch is seized up - if the engine was spinning the starter, the starter would self-destruct pretty quickly. It's usually the starter solenoid that is sticking closed, keeping the starter running continuously (and this will usually burn out the starter and/or kill your battery).