How to replace your universal joint (and driveshaft)

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: How to replace your universal joint (and driveshaft)

Post by Swagonmaster »

kiptap, I can feel your pain, that boot replacement can be something that you don't want your kids to hear you talking about. :evil: I will give one recommendation, warm the rubber boot! I am a retired auto tech so I thought it wouldn't be too hard to do. Wrong! After several frustrating hours of trying I brought the boot indoors and put it on the hot air register (December you know) and got it hot. When I took it out to the garage for another round I couldn't believe how much easier it was to go on! Actually I thought that I had it on wrong, it couldn't have gone on that easy!
Secondly, if your are having trouble splinning the driveshaft into the u joint, take the driven flange/spider and turn the final drive and therefore the driveshaft while installing the shaft.

Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

Another thing, I replaced the u joint because of a vibration above about 60 mph. As it turned out the joint was ok, the problem was the rubber dampers in the rear wheel. Oh well, live and learn.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

One more recommendation for the boot replacement could be removing the wires and brake light switch out of the way.

So you can easily reach the 3 ears of the boot and install it in 5 minutes. No pain anymore.

Jetfighter3
Motorcycle: 1993 gl 1500A aspencade

Post by Jetfighter3 »

Two things, first you say you should not apply grease on the five pin configuration , but my Honda Manual says too. Do you know something Honda doesn't or at least at the time of the publication of the manual? Also in one of the photos of the five pin config. it appears there is grease on the pins? Could you get back to me on this, I'm about to put her back together. And 2nd, for those of you about to do this chore I used Aerospace 303 protectint on the boot , sprayed it down stuck it in a plastic bag for 24 hours and when I was ready to install it , it only took about 5 min. went on so easy! and the boot should last for some time with the 303 on it. ( check it out on youtube)

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

According to The Wrench, published by Honda America to Honda technicians, the 5 pin drive flange should not be lubricated.
Only lube the 6 pin drive flange pins.

As to the use of the 303 protectant, it really isn't all that necessary. It is probably a good thing because it makes it slippery but not a necessary step. Silicone spray did the trick for me.
The boots that I have seen or heard about have not failed due from deterioration or exposure to the elements. How I have seen or heard of them failing is from contact with the universal joint. On my 1999 and 1998 GL1500, that was the case. Other than the damage from the universal joint, the rubber was sound.

An article in Wing World magazine confirms this information concerning the flange pins.
It is located here: http://archives.wingworldmag.com/januar ... cally.html
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

Jetfighter3
Motorcycle: 1993 gl 1500A aspencade

Post by Jetfighter3 »

Great info! Do you know where we can get all the amendments to the out dated information we get from our manuals? Some thing like we are discussing should be available to the home mechanic , I was ready to put lube on the pins but questioned it when seeing post. Had I not looked I would have made that mistake.

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Unfortunately, I do not have a source for any of the outdated info.
As Stu Oltman said, the GWRRA tech department has a pile of info but I don't know how to get it published.
Perhaps someone here can provide a source.
MikeB
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

My Honda Service Manual says the exact same thing:

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

I think the confusion is because of the unupdated picture on page 15-14 of the service manual.
Attachments

BENJEE2112
Motorcycle: 1995 1500i INTERSTATE
THE ONE STYLE "WITHOUT" REVERSE ((Danggit))

Post by BENJEE2112 »

To anyone like me needing to do this. Today I went in a mission to find the 17MM allan socket driver. after all the box stores and hardware stores I was about to give up. But just for the heck of it. I stopped at our NEW TO MY AREA (woo-hooo) Harbor Freight Store. Found the entire set for $13.89 I haven't abused it yet. But I was expecting to pay around $20 just for the one 17mm. this is 4-17mm. I'll let you know if my impact gun or breaker bar kills it or cranks it. they are shiny chrome. Just dark in my office rite now.

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 »

I just ordered my new u-joint and boot From Partzilla $160.00 for both. I damaged my u-joint trying to put the final drive back on. I somehow jammed it stuck. I don't do anything half way. Including screwing stuff up. I hope I didn't hurt anything else. I guess I'll find out when it's all back together. After looking around I saw that My Boot was dry rotted. The bike has over 100,000, now it will have new joints and socks. This is what I saw when I took it back off.

pocketchange
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by pocketchange »

Jetfighter3 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:03 am
Two things, first you say you should not apply grease on the five pin configuration , but my Honda Manual says too. Do you know something Honda doesn't or at least at the time of the publication of the manual? Also in one of the photos of the five pin config. it appears there is grease on the pins? Could you get back to me on this, I'm about to put her back together. And 2nd, for those of you about to do this chore I used Aerospace 303 protectint on the boot , sprayed it down stuck it in a plastic bag for 24 hours and when I was ready to install it , it only took about 5 min. went on so easy! and the boot should last for some time with the 303 on it. ( check it out on youtube)
Aero 303='s the best + some heat ='s the easiest method to replacing a boot.. pc

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 »

I had to rack my brain a little to remember why it said the 5 points studs should not use grease. It is because of metal electrolysis accurse do to steal verses aluminum. I think the grease makes a connection like water and wires. I got my u-joint boot on pretty easily. I've heard about that Aerospace 303 protectant from my Kayak buddies. They rave about it's' many uses on plastic and rubber. I didn't use anything on mine. I figure any florigen topical product will eventually either dry out or be a dust/dirt/grease magnet.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

kiptap wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:01 pm
MikeB wrote:What I left out of the post was I sprayed a little silicone on the inside of the boot to help slipping it over the swingarm.
How are you keeping one side from coming off while pulling the other side over the lip. Right now I have the side nearest the swingarm on first with about half of the bottom and half of the top, but when I go to pull the other side, those sides just pop off. I'm going to see if I can get someone to hold the installed sides on while I work on pulling the boot on the other side. I'll try silicone, heck I'll try anything, thanks. I'm sure there's a great Trojan vs girth joke in here somewhere.

FYI for anyone wondering, here is a photo of the two U-Joints side by side, the one on the left is a reinforced in vital areas and appears to be flame hardened the old one appears to be cast. My u-joint was not bad looking, but its cheap insurance to replace it. The boot has proven to be the most difficult thing I have encountered on these "how-to's", but it too will yield.
u-joints.jpg
kiptap
Both are forged, Valk joint just has more meat.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 »

I used curved extended needle nose plyers to push both sides on at the same time. but little by little. Your pic didn't load. I spit on the casing and the boot edge. Went rite on

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

If you want the boot to just about fall on try heating it. Winter is your friend, just put it over the hot air register for a few minutes and it will stretch like a rubber band.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Swagonmaster wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:18 pm
If you want the boot to just about fall on try heating it. Winter is your friend, just put it over the hot air register for a few minutes and it will stretch like a rubber band.
The same is true for pretty much any rubber piece. I rebuilt a clutch master recently in the cold, and when I was stretching the seal over the piston...SNAP! It broke. Foul language occurred, I waited a few days for another entire rebuild kit (you can't buy just the seal), and this time I heated it up first by dunking it in hot water. It easily stretched and fit into place.

thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Post by thebruce »

I just took a quick read through this thread as I needed the part numbers for the yoke assembly and boot as mine are needing replacement. Frigging marvelous writeup.

If I could contribute my $.02...

I didn't notice this mentioned before:
The disconnection of the negative battery cable was fairly far down the order of operations for this procedure.

As much as safety is a little in-your-face of late, the disconnection of the negative terminal should be among the first things done on fairly much any procedure to avoid serious death, injury or damage to the bike... takes like no time at all, unfortunately you will have to reset your clock 🕠

Thanks to WingAdmin for the many super-groovy DIY articles here. And the administration.
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 »

Have fun. Don't forget to disconnect or battery (FIRST)

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

I know, guy posted in 2017, but maybe he is still wondering?
skywatcher67 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:26 pm
The article on replacing the ujoint on the gl 1500 is excellent. Does anyone know where I can get an article on how to replace the ujoint on a gl1500 she TRIKE? Lehman.
Jack the left rear wheel maybe 6 inches so trike leans towards the right, set a jack stand under the axle. Put trike in neutral, no parking brake if it has one as you want to be able to rotate the raised left rear tire & drive shaft. Just take the 4 nuts off the rear U-joint retaining U-bolts, Pry the rear U-joint forward out of the rear yoke, keep the bearing caps on the cross trunions, ease it down, pull straight out to rear. The front U-joint will likely stay on the driveshaft. The Lehman swing arm tube or tunnel is short and open and will let the front U-joint pass easily.

Biggest thing is to lube & put the front U-joint in proper phase before reinstalling. Also, don't overtighten those 4 nuts at rear U-joint retainers.

Once assembled, it helps to tie a cord or zip a tie between rear and front U-joint until it's in place, then cut the cord & remove. View from beneath, mine is no longer rusty, was just surface rust that cleaned off, then I painted it.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Magerton
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Post by Magerton »

Hello all; So like the others have said, thanks for the great tutorial! I did have one question. After I removed the drive shaft, I was unable to pull it free, i was going to change out my drive shaft while I had it down that far. It felt like something was holding it in, a clip ring or something! When I looked at your instructions, (picture 48) I seen where yours was laying free from the final drive I think that's what its called, the part the wheel mates up with. Wasn't sure if there is a special tool or what. I ended up putting the bike back together, with the new universal joint. Will finish putting it back together tonight. Thanks again for the instructions and for this site and for all the members here willing to help someone like me!!
Mike

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Magerton wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:40 pm
Hello all; So like the others have said, thanks for the great tutorial! I did have one question. After I removed the drive shaft, I was unable to pull it free, i was going to change out my drive shaft while I had it down that far. It felt like something was holding it in, a clip ring or something! When I looked at your instructions, (picture 48) I seen where yours was laying free from the final drive I think that's what its called, the part the wheel mates up with. Wasn't sure if there is a special tool or what. I ended up putting the bike back together, with the new universal joint. Will finish putting it back together tonight. Thanks again for the instructions and for this site and for all the members here willing to help someone like me!!
Mike
There is just a seal holding it in place, so you just need to give it a bit of a wiggle and pull harder. It will come out.

MNAspencade
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500
1985 Gl1200 Aspencade - sold

Post by MNAspencade »

I have an early model gl1500 (1989) and suspect a u joint issue. Vibration in the foot pegs and noises when going through dips in the road. I was wondering what he process was for replacing the u joint and boot. Is it just a matter of pulling back the boot and pushing the u joint back and pulling it out through the front? or do I still need to remove the wheel and drive shaft but not the swing arm bearing?

Thanks for the help

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

MNAspencade wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:24 pm
I have an early model gl1500 (1989) and suspect a u joint issue. Vibration in the foot pegs and noises when going through dips in the road. I was wondering what he process was for replacing the u joint and boot. Is it just a matter of pulling back the boot and pushing the u joint back and pulling it out through the front? or do I still need to remove the wheel and drive shaft but not the swing arm bearing?

Thanks for the help
I am pretty sure you need to follow along with what is posted in this topic. From 1988 through 2000, the procedure will be the same.
MikeB
Retired in Tacoma, WA

chezuki
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Post by chezuki »

MikeB wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:31 pm
MNAspencade wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:24 pm

Thanks for the help
I am pretty sure you need to follow along with what is posted in this topic. From 1988 through 2000, the procedure will be the same.
I had the same question... Early in this post it's mentioned that earlier model 1500's did not require as much disassembly to replace the u joints. Is that all years before the 1997 beefier u joints?

"According to the official Honda Service Manual, an unbelievable amount of parts have to be removed in order to replace the universal joint, from the wheel, swingarm, battery box, and more. In reality, this is not true - for earlier GL1500's the universal joint can be removed without disassembling anything at all. For later GL1500's (and to install the larger universal joint in earlier GL1500's) the universal joint can be replaced by removing one of the swingarm pivots and sliding the swingarm slightly to one side."