Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to remove and replace your timing belts

Post by WingAdmin »

Wildwilly018 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:43 pm I am hoping Scott of someone will see this and give me a bit of needed advise. I started taking things apart today to change belts. Got down to the belts and glad I decided to do so. One belt really sloppy. Left side when looking at front. The problem is that I spun everything around to line up marks before taking belt off. My 88 Gl1500 has run like a top for all the yrs I have had. So never seen anything wrong. The belts were changed by previous owner probably 8 - 9 yrs ago. I have the up line right on on left side, but right side is off a bit and looks like center pully line is off a bit. How can I get everything lined up right before I put on new belts. As I said, it couldn't been off enough for any problems because bike runs perfect and I turned everything around many times and turned nicely. Do I just leave it alone or can I get things back where I think it should be.
That's actually normal. I've never seen one yet that lined up perfectly. 1100's too. As long as it's not obviously off by a tooth.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

Maybe if your eyes were slanted \ /
. . . it look level.

Jerry Reed: ''That's a joke son''
Wildwilly018
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by Wildwilly018 »

WingAdmin wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:45 pm
Wildwilly018 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:43 pm I am hoping Scott of someone will see this and give me a bit of needed advise. I started taking things apart today to change belts. Got down to the belts and glad I decided to do so. One belt really sloppy. Left side when looking at front. The problem is that I spun everything around to line up marks before taking belt off. My 88 Gl1500 has run like a top for all the yrs I have had. So never seen anything wrong. The belts were changed by previous owner probably 8 - 9 yrs ago. I have the up line right on on left side, but right side is off a bit and looks like center pully line is off a bit. How can I get everything lined up right before I put on new belts. As I said, it couldn't been off enough for any problems because bike runs perfect and I turned everything around many times and turned nicely. Do I just leave it alone or can I get things back where I think it should be.
That's actually normal. I've never seen one yet that lined up perfectly. 1100's too. As long as it's not obviously off by a tooth.
So I should be good to go then. The left belt had a lot of slop on the bottom. Glad I am changing them now. Will check idlers wheels when belts are off to make sure it isn't that as to why belt is like that.
Wildwilly018

Post by Wildwilly018 »

FM-USA wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:50 pm Maybe if your eyes were slanted \ /
. . . it look level.

.It is rather challenging to get down that low and try to get a straight on look.

Jerry Reed: ''That's a joke son''
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

OH I KNOW it's low. Done belts 3 times now.
But I use my smartphone down where it's difficult.
Like looking for a stuck ball or dropping a chalk down a pocket and using the phone's camera to see how far it went.
Wildwilly018

Post by Wildwilly018 »

FM-USA wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:13 pm OH I KNOW it's low. Done belts 3 times now.
Like looking for a stuck ball or dropping a chalk down a pocket and using the phone's camera to see how far it went.
I decided to put my jack up one more notch. Will see if that helps any tomorrow. The thing was when I got down there it looked lined up. When I took a pic it look off in the pic.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Looks close to perfect to me. Ignore the marking pen and rely on the Honda marks only.
Be sure you look straight on and not at an angle causing parallax errors.
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Wildwilly018 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:30 pm
FM-USA wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:13 pm OH I KNOW it's low. Done belts 3 times now.
I decided to put my jack up one more notch. Will see if that helps any tomorrow. The thing was when I got down there it looked lined up. When I took a pic it look off in the pic.
Found out why my photos were off on my phone. I was looking at the phone's screen center to take pictures. Problem is my 3 camera lens are in the upper left corners. That makes the actual photo off center when shooting close and mentally adjusting is tricky until a new habit is formed.

What I tried was placing my finger next to the lens and pointing my finger towards what I was shooting. Took a few finger shots until I found the right spot, LOL.

My last camera was centered vertically and near centered longitudinally.
Wildwilly018

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Rambozo wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:50 pm Looks close to perfect to me. Ignore the marking pen and rely on the Honda marks only.
Be sure you look straight on and not at an angle causing parallax errors.
Thanks. Someone must of put them on along the way. Do my best to get straight on.
Wildwilly018

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Another thing I noticed today when I dumped my coolant. As Scott had noticed in a video of his, that Honda changed the color of it's coolant from green to blue. I changed my coolant last winter and yes it was Honda coolant and it was blue. When I dumped it out today into a clean drain pan so i can put it back, it was green. Got me stumped how or why it changed colors. :?: :?
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

That's rather interesting, CHANGED COLORS.
JUST wondering if any coolant mfg ever tried special chemicals in their coolant to signify proper mixture and for foreign elements are becoming present.
Could save an engine or at least keep maintenance costs down.

WingsandThings
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1983 GL650 SILVERWING
1980 CX500 CUSTOM
1975 XL100

Post by WingsandThings »

Great write up. Very helpful, I am changing my belts today.
I have a question about the locktite. I have Permatex Orange Threadlocker. The reds I looked at said it was necessary to use heat to remove the bolt the next time it was taken out. Is the orange ok?
Also, you never mention taking the tensioner bolts completely out. Do you remove them and put the locktite on and replace them one at a time leaving the other bolt keeping the belt tight before tensioning it?
And as the elders of our time choose to remain blind
Let us rejoice and let us sing and dance and ring in the new
Hail Atlantis!
Krazy48446
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Apencade (Rear Ended : Totaled)
1999 GL1500 SE (Current Ride)

Post by Krazy48446 »

Thanks for the great write-up. I just did mine today.
vcdc
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by vcdc »

I have a new to me 2000 SE with 52,000 miles on the clock. Not knowing the age or condition of the timing belts, I decided to change them. When I go to check the alignments on the existing belts, with the left side pulley of the bike spot on the right is off by nearly a tooth. Now the bike ran perfectly before I started this . Not sure if I should adjust that right pulley or just leave it as is.
Attachments

GrapeVine
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500I Interstate

Post by GrapeVine »

You're NOT correcting the pulley, you'd be correcting the CAMSHAFT. The pulleys are just the means of connecting the rotational power of the crankshaft to the camshafts. Align things as they are intended to be. Since the belt is off, now's your BEST opportunity to correct this discrepancy. The only wat that this isn't right is if the gear is loose for the cam shaft, which I HIGHLY doubt. The reason you're doing belts is to prevent future problems and inspect everything around what you're working on. Fix this issue AND change the belts puts you in the winners circle for this effort. I did mine based on ALL the advise I saw with GoldWingDocs, and I've yet to have a maintenance issue that I couldn't fix myself, except the front forks.
Wildwilly018

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Grapevine is right. I changed mine on my 88 gl1500 last winter. Without the belts on you can turn that pully to line it up. Make sure all pully arrows are correct. I had to reline a couple times. They were correct, but trying to get new belts on, the outer pullies want to move. I ended up clamping a small pair of c-clamp vice grips lightly on pully and case behind. Stopped the tend to turn. Mine ran like a champ all season, so I know I did the job correctly for the first time ever doing this. I do my own work on bike and pretty much everything I have done I learned on this forum. Best of luck. Keep us posted.
vcdc

Post by vcdc »

I will go ahead and move that right camshaft to the correct mark. I don't understand why the bike ran so well when it was one tooth off
Wildwilly018

Post by Wildwilly018 »

vcdc wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:01 pm I will go ahead and move that right camshaft to the correct mark. I don't understand why the bike ran so well when it was one tooth off
Did you take the belts off in that pic. I can't see enough to know. if so did you maybe move it without realizing it. Can happen. not picking on your work. Just a question.
vcdc

Post by vcdc »

That is the way it was before I took the belt off. I did not think to take the picture with the belt on it . The camshaft did not move even a millimeter as I slowly took the belt off. I was tempted to leave it alone since it Ran So Good beforehand.
Wildwilly018

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Well if you line it up to the line and get new belts on and crank it by hand with socket on middle pully, you will know if it is good. Should spin easily when you turn it.
vcdc

Post by vcdc »

I took the advice of GrapeVine and Wildwillie018 and adjusted right cam pulley to the mark. Idles perfectly, ran it up to 80 easy. Before this belt change, on startup it would idle very roughly, surge, wanted to quit running, and exhaust smoke excessively till warmed up. Thanks guys.