How to replace your dash lights with LEDs

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: How to replace your dash lights with LEDs

Post by MikeB » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 pm

faulkner72 wrote:Now it's starting to make a lot of sense. I ran out of fuel more than once depending on that light to glow at the same time each time.
Did you actually run out of fuel and the light was not on?

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:01 pm

That's what it sounds like. He ran out of fuel on cool nights around the same time.
Thermo sensor isn't heating up enough to turn on his low fuel light.

Depending on my trips, I simply carry minimum 1/2 gal of spare fuel.
I mix my special fuel mix and the container doesn't expand even when I shake it up.
The longest I've gone before using that stored fuel was about a year, that fuel was still potent. But of course I rotate my fuel bottles to keep the fuel fresh. OLD grocery store habit of mine. ;)

Have we got off thread?
"How to replace your dash lights with LEDs"
:shock:
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

satranger
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500SE

Post by satranger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 pm

FM-USA wrote: Depending on my trips, I simply carry minimum 1/2 gal of spare fuel.
I mix my special fuel mix and the container doesn't expand even when I shake it up.
What do you use for your "special fuel mix"? Sta-Bil or something similar? Is good idea when taking long trips.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:31 pm

One oz. of trans fluid OR 2 stroke oil with 2 oz. Toluol or 'fuel injector cleaner'.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

RKB53
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE Roadsmith Trike

Post by RKB53 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 pm

I hope someone will answer me because this is an old post. I just did my dash with all the updated changes that people have suggested over the years. I added the resistors as stated and everything works really nicely as it is suppose to. However I have a little problem. The oil light, cruise set light and the cruise on light are glowing really faintly. They are just bright enough to be annoying and I don't know why. I rechecked everything and it all seams right and the resistor values are correct. Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening??? Thanks

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:24 pm

RKB53 wrote:I hope someone will answer me because this is an old post. I just did my dash with all the updated changes that people have suggested over the years. I added the resistors as stated and everything works really nicely as it is suppose to. However I have a little problem. The oil light, cruise set light and the cruise on light are glowing really faintly. They are just bright enough to be annoying and I don't know why. I rechecked everything and it all seams right and the resistor values are correct. Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening??? Thanks
I'm going on SKIM READING memory here so don't take it to heart.
What I'm saying might POP the answer for you.
LEDs needs constant voltage within its range. If there's a rheostat (oil switch, etc.) the LED can't operate on partial or lower than normal voltage. Think of it as the old fluorescent bulbs on a dimmer. At the lowest switch position they blink until there's enough voltage to run constant.
If it's on dimly all the time, try reversing the wires.
Someone will come along with the full info.

HOPE MY 0.00002 HELPS

RKB53

Post by RKB53 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:55 am

Thank you for getting back to me so soon. I guess it means that people are still looking at this install. Instead of switching the wires, can I just rotate the bulb 180 degrees and insert the bulb back into the socket? Wouldn't that be the same thing as reversing the wires? Thanks again.............

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:00 am

Bulb rotate sure if possible. Some have one way pins. But it's rare to be 3 of 3 inserted 180.

mmedic50
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE Magenta

Post by mmedic50 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:51 pm

Hi, I got my 1995 GL1500 a few years ago. I have ridden mostly 80's Honda sport bikes. Still have a 86 V65 Magna and an 88 CBR1000F Hurricane. I find myself riding the Goldwing more than the other bikes because of the cruise control and stereo. I'm thinking of trying the LED dash light change after reading this EXCELLENT article but I see it was started in 2013. There has been a change in the technology of LED lighting in the past few years. Has anyone done this LED change and discovered that there are different LEDS that are available? If so, would anyone like to post an updated parts list? Thank, Michael

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:24 pm

mmedic50 wrote:Hi, I got my 1995 GL1500 a few years ago. I have ridden mostly 80's Honda sport bikes. Still have a 86 V65 Magna and an 88 CBR1000F Hurricane. I find myself riding the Goldwing more than the other bikes because of the cruise control and stereo. I'm thinking of trying the LED dash light change after reading this EXCELLENT article but I see it was started in 2013. There has been a change in the technology of LED lighting in the past few years. Has anyone done this LED change and discovered that there are different LEDS that are available? If so, would anyone like to post an updated parts list? Thank, Michael
I hope to do this in just a few weeks to my bike (GL1500) and am gonna TRY the Sylvania Zevo 194 bulbs as they are frosted and SHOULD spread the light better inside the gauge housing. They are pricier, but if they work like I hope, will be a better choice.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO-Wh ... ingdocs-20
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:I hope to do this in just a few weeks to my bike (GL1500) and am gonna TRY the Sylvania Zevo 194 bulbs as they are frosted and SHOULD spread the light better inside the gauge housing. They are pricier, but if they work like I hope, will be a better choice.

After opening my gauges few weeks ago I noticed the bulbs light output is directed at clear plastic blades. Said light it then optically transferred through that plastic to the gauges front.
BUT that's my 91 gauges design, yours might be different.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 01, 2017 8:36 am

FM-USA wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:I hope to do this in just a few weeks to my bike (GL1500) and am gonna TRY the Sylvania Zevo 194 bulbs as they are frosted and SHOULD spread the light better inside the gauge housing. They are pricier, but if they work like I hope, will be a better choice.

After opening my gauges few weeks ago I noticed the bulbs light output is directed at clear plastic blades. Said light it then optically transferred through that plastic to the gauges front.
BUT that's my 91 gauges design, yours might be different.
All the GL1500's work the same way.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 01, 2017 8:42 am

RKB53 wrote:I hope someone will answer me because this is an old post. I just did my dash with all the updated changes that people have suggested over the years. I added the resistors as stated and everything works really nicely as it is suppose to. However I have a little problem. The oil light, cruise set light and the cruise on light are glowing really faintly. They are just bright enough to be annoying and I don't know why. I rechecked everything and it all seams right and the resistor values are correct. Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening??? Thanks
This can occur when there is a small amount of current flowing. On the cruise set and on lights, it's because of the way the electronics in the cruise computer works, on the oil pressure light, it can be from a pinched wire, dirt or carbon in the pressure switch, or a few other things.

With regular incandescent bulbs, it's not an issue: the amount of current flowing is nowhere near enough to make the bulb light up, so you don't notice it.

However an LED requires very, very little current to operate (that's why they are so efficient). Even a tiny trickle of current can be enough. So that trickle of current that you don't notice with your incandescent bulbs, causes the LEDs to glow faintly.

The solution is to put a small resistor in parallel with the LED (across the leads). This resistor allows some current to flow, bypassing the LED. This decreases the current flowing through the LED, and it stops glowing. When the full 12 volts is applied (when the light is supposed to be on), there is more than enough current, and the LED lights up normally.

You can see my note about the resistors here, from the original article:
Important: Required Resistors

The Cruise On, Cruise Set and Low Fuel circuits require a reasonable load in order to function correctly. Simply replacing these bulbs with LEDs will cause the LEDs to stay on at all times. There are two options: leave these lights with traditional light bulbs, or add a resistor in parallel with each LED. If you wish to go the resistor route, the values you will need to use are:

Cruise On, Cruise Set: 1K Ohm, 1/4 watt
Low Fuel: 470 Ohm, 1/2 watt (very important that this be 1/2 watt!)

These resistors should be connected in PARALLEL with the LEDs (across the LEDs), NOT in series (in front of/behind) with the LEDs. The easiest way to do this is to connect them across the wires going to the applicable LEDs. Make sure any connections you do are properly insulated before reinstallation.
For your oil pressure light, you can either try to find the source of the current drain, or just use a resistor - I would recommend the 470 ohm 1/2 watt, same as used for the low fuel light.

vegaswings
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A
1998 GL1500SE

Post by vegaswings » Tue May 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Your article was great and very helpful. One problem I ran in to is the Cruise lights. I put the resistors in place but the lights did not go out completely. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

RKB53

Post by RKB53 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:16 pm

I think the best answer is right above your posting. I had the same problem (read above) and the solution was to put in that 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in parallel with my oil light. Problem solved.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 pm

I know this is an old thread but there might STILL be folks wanting to have a brighter dash looking at this thread trying to decide what to do. My advice is;
DO IT TONIGHT OR TOMORROW, YOU'LL BE ABSOLUTELY AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE/IMPROVEMENT!!!!

I used the information from here and just got it done yesterday and this is the result;

TOP PIC IS BEFORE:

MIDDLE PIC IS AFTER:

BOTTOM PIC IS NORMAL NIGHT RIDING:

Truthfully, the camera, and my shaky hands, make the glare/blur. In real life, its crystal clear and comfortable to look at.
Attachments

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:34 am

I know, isn't that amazing? I love mine and I dig the blue ;)

David Doyle
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Post by David Doyle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:34 pm

I have little issue. I put (Turn Signals (Amber, Qty 2): 74-AHP) in and they do blink but they are always on with the led's, but not with an OEM bulb.
Do I have to install a resister for them to? If so how do you calculate what Ohm and watt to use.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:09 am

Using the "search" box, type LED turn signals, , , it'll give you some threads that might help, , , ,

From what I read, , it looks like you have to make sure you get 1157 compatible bulbs (dual filament) instead of the 1156 compatible. It has something to do with the LED's not drawing enough current to trigger the flasher, , or something like that.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:10 am

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the LED lamps he installed in the instrument panel but I may be mistaken. He is not real clear with what he is referring to.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:21 am

You're right, , ,I was confused too and figured he was speaking about the actual turn signal lights.
I used the 74-AHP lamps in the indicators on the dash with no problems. Maybe they are "polarity" selective, , ,

David, remove the bulbs and rotate them 180 degrees and see if that fixes the issue.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:32 am

David Doyle wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:34 pm
I have little issue. I put (Turn Signals (Amber, Qty 2): 74-AHP) in and they do blink but they are always on with the led's, but not with an OEM bulb.
Do I have to install a resister for them to? If so how do you calculate what Ohm and watt to use.
Something's not right.

The power that feeds those lights is the same as feeds the bulbs - and that is switched off completely when the turn signals aren't active. So it appears that your turn signal circuits are getting backfed from somewhere - and if I were to make an educated guess, I'd say it's likely from the front position lights. Try pulling fuse 8 - tail/meter/position lights. Your turn signals should still function (they're fed from fuse 2 - horn/turn signals) as should your hazard lights (fuse 10 - accessory), but I'm willing to bet the turn signals in the dash stop glowing.

If that's the case, then you have a partial bad ground, probably on your front position lights.

David Doyle

Post by David Doyle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 pm

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm not sure what was wrong but when I plugged everything back together the turn signals worked correctly. I use a 1.2k 1/2w resister for the cruise lights and they work correctly. If I understand it right. The 1/2w will put off less heat. Also I put in 74- 3 SMD blue LEDS for the screen and now see that it is too blue. The 74- 1 SMD blue LED did not seem to put out enough light. After putting it back together the blue light on the screen is to blue so I think I will need to put in the 74-3 SMD white. Your article was very helpful. If you take your Gauge Cluster off and it is very dirty you can take the hole thing apart including the wire loom. This will allow you to clean the plastic case in soap and water. I replaced the LCD Display Screen with a new one from TAE on EBAY. It works great.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:40 am

David Doyle wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 pm
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm not sure what was wrong but when I plugged everything back together the turn signals worked correctly. I use a 1.2k 1/2w resister for the cruise lights and they work correctly. If I understand it right. The 1/2w will put off less heat. Also I put in 74- 3 SMD blue LEDS for the screen and now see that it is too blue. The 74- 1 SMD blue LED did not seem to put out enough light. After putting it back together the blue light on the screen is to blue so I think I will need to put in the 74-3 SMD white. Your article was very helpful. If you take your Gauge Cluster off and it is very dirty you can take the hole thing apart including the wire loom. This will allow you to clean the plastic case in soap and water. I replaced the LCD Display Screen with a new one from TAE on EBAY. It works great.
The amount of heat put out is 100% determined by the resistance of the the resistor. The wattage rating tells you how much energy can be dissipated as heat before the resistor burns up.

If you have a 1.2K 10 watt resistor and a 1.2K 5 watt resistor and apply 12 volts to both of them, you will draw 0.01 amps, dissipating 0.12 watts of energy as heat. That means your 0.5 watt resistor is well within its capability.

Incidentally if you did the same with say 20 ohm 10 watt and a 20 ohm 5 watt resistors, you would draw 0.6 amps and dissipate 7.2 watts of energy as heat. The 10 watt resistor would be OK, the 5 watt resistor would overheat and burn out.

You can use sites like this one to make these types of calculations: http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

David Doyle

Post by David Doyle » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 pm

Thank you for that information. Something that I have noticed on the cruse control lights is that when I first start and run the bike the two light are on very dim. I think that they fad in and out. But after riding just a little ways the two lights go out. The cruse control still works even if they have not faded out yet. Is this a sign that the resistors are just heating up. When they reach temp the resistance is enough to turn the lights out when not in use.