Lifting the Bags to access rear wheel

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
heidebill
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

Lifting the Bags to access rear wheel

Post by heidebill »

Made this video showing how I lifted the Saddle Bags to access the Rear Wheel

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Enjoy, Bill

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Lifting the Bags to access rear wheel

Post by WingAdmin »

That's great, Bill! I'm going to move this to the 1500 How To forum, as I'm sure it will help people out who may be looking for information on doing this.
heidebill

Post by heidebill »

Sounds great, I know I use this forum alot, as I am a new Goldwing Owner,
Hopefully it can help or clarify the task for someone else
Brainbender
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE

Post by Brainbender »

Looks great Bill, going to try it tomorrow. Did you have any problems when you lowered the bags back down/ I've seen some guys say they had major problems and others say it was very easy. Any tips for the lowering part?
heidebill

Post by heidebill »

Lowering the Bags, ya a bit of a pain, You have to work them around some metal. I just lifted them again yesterday to replace the Rear Tire, The hitch adds an extra bolt each side, And the Bag Guards add some fun when re-installing the bolts throught the saddle bag. Don't hesitate to use patience.
All in all, not a problem
Bill
Keef
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 Aspencade

Post by Keef »

Great video Bill. But there are some marjor differences in the Aspencade and the SE model. That one bolt you show to remove that is in between the crash bar or bag protector. On mine it is actualy on the front mounting bolt of the crash bar. I had to take the rear foot rest off and that little panel.
But your video did help me quit a bit.....Thanks. Greased the drive shaft and all. Got it back together, but lowering the package.
Going to rain tomorrow any way..Again.........
heidebill

Post by heidebill »

Glad you enjoyed the video, Bill
racoon5266
Motorcycle: 1993 1500 se gold wing

Post by racoon5266 »

loved your video.. I was able to use it.

I have a question.. the lower trunk lights under the license plate, reflector which has no lights to it. how do we remove that part.. I have a 93 goldwing 1500 se.
I chekced underneath the bike I see a molding with i long screw sticking out of it on each side.
I want to install lights in there.. but I can't figure out how to remove that section.. hope i don't have to remove the trunk piece by piece.. as the other lights you just go inside the truck and remove a few screws..
your help would make my day..

Dan G.
heidebill

Post by heidebill »

Hey Dan

Wish I could help , but I sold the wing about 2 years ago, I am riding a 2010 Harley Road King, I like the ride,
I may again buy another 1500, I sure liked it
If I still had it I would see if I could help, Sorry

Bill
jjsohio
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500I

Post by jjsohio »

The video is no longer available. Anybody know if there is a similar one around?
Getting ready to work on the rear shock and this sure seems like a better way then removing everything.
Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Post by Fatwing Chris »

jjsohio wrote:The video is no longer available. Anybody know if there is a similar one around?
Getting ready to work on the rear shock and this sure seems like a better way then removing everything.
If you're only doing one side then I would just take the bag off on that side.I know I had to replace the coil over shock on my 89 and I just loosened the bag and slid it back.Too big a job lifting the whole backend for just that.IMHO.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602
Fatwing Chris

Post by Fatwing Chris »

Fatwing Chris wrote:
jjsohio wrote:The video is no longer available. Anybody know if there is a similar one around?
If you're only doing one side then I would just take the bag off on that side.I know I had to replace the coil over shock on my 89 and I just loosened the bag and slid it back.Too big a job lifting the whole backend for just that.IMHO.
BTW I did like the flip up method as it really opens up the back end,but a couple of extra hands are nice when dropping it back down.You have to be real careful where the rear fender splits when lifting it also.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602
davekaz
Motorcycle: 1998 1500se Goldwing

Post by davekaz »

where is the video gone?
Fatwing Chris

Post by Fatwing Chris »

davekaz wrote:where is the video gone?
Not sure where it went.I never watched it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602
zandersn
Motorcycle: 2007 1800 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS

Post by zandersn »

Can you repost the video or provide a link to YouTube. Currently it is saying the video doesn't exists.
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
186K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
20K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Here is Bill's original video on You Tube

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
Engel6264
Motorcycle: 2000SE 1500

Post by Engel6264 »

I'm sure some has shown how to tilt the rear trunk and bags and sides with out removing from bike but never can find it. Is there a video showing how to do this?
DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Engel6264 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:32 am I'm sure some has shown how to tilt the rear trunk and bags and sides with out removing from bike but never can find it. Is there a video showing how to do this?
Watch the video in the post above yours. It does go kind of fast but it does work. I just did this process a few weeks ago and a couple of points. If you have any extra lighting wires that are running through your right side saddlebag make sure you have plenty of slack. If you have a trailer hitch you may need to loosen the clamps that attach to the saddlebag crash bars, I needed two because it would pivot on the crash bars.

Doug
Attachments

One of the POs ran additional lighting wires through the same hole the air hose went through
One of the POs ran additional lighting wires through the same hole the air hose went through

'02 Magna VF750
'94 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan
bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing »

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but here goes. I have my bags removed but because of my hitch and some light wiring, i think it will be easier now to lift the trunk, hitch and center section up. Maybe I am missing something but I can't seem to get the plastic fender to move forward or down, seems to me it is attached to the center section in the rear and attached at the front(under the seat)

Any suggestions?
Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)
bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing »

Update: I got it to lift, seems there are 2 plastic clips on top of the fender, they kinda broke when it lifted, hope thats not gonna be a problem... As u can see I did kind of a hybrid lift and remove bags. Seems like this gives me a ton more room to work and get the wheel out (bonus-don't have to tie it back without the bags there)

Now the next issue, I can't for the life of me turn the mufflers...any tips? You can kind see my strap wrench in place there but it's not budging.
Attachments

Lifted and naked combo
Lifted and naked combo

Big Steve
8-)
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Get out your propane torch and apply some heat to the joint. Heating from the outside will cause the muffler pipe on the outside to expand faster than the exhaust pipe on the inside of the joint.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
Wildwilly018
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by Wildwilly018 »

bigsteveswing wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:40 am Update: I got it to lift, seems there are 2 plastic clips on top of the fender, they kinda broke when it lifted, hope thats not gonna be a problem... As u can see I did kind of a hybrid lift and remove bags. Seems like this gives me a ton more room to work and get the wheel out (bonus-don't have to tie it back without the bags there)

Now the next issue, I can't for the life of me turn the mufflers...any tips? You can kind see my strap wrench in place there but it's not budging.
I know this post is old but did you get the pipes. You lossen the 2 bolts ahead of your wrench on the swivel on the pipes and push down pipe.
bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing »

I actually never did get the pipes to rotate. I had everything loose but they wouldn't move. Had enough room to get the axle out just by pushing them down a little.
Big Steve
8-)
Wildwilly018
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by Wildwilly018 »

bigsteveswing wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:06 pm I actually never did get the pipes to rotate. I had everything loose but they wouldn't move. Had enough room to get the axle out just by pushing them down a little.
Glad you got it done. Next time loosen but don't remove the bolts holding the clamps that clamp the mufflers to the collector. And take out bolt to frame. How I did mine. Once loose the pipes will push right down out of the way completely.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Wildwilly018 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:59 am
bigsteveswing wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:06 pm I actually never did get the pipes to rotate. I had everything loose but they wouldn't move. Had enough room to get the axle out just by pushing them down a little.
Glad you got it done. Next time loosen but don't remove the bolts holding the clamps that clamp the mufflers to the collector. And take out bolt to frame. How I did mine. Once loose the pipes will push right down out of the way completely.
I will typically loosen those bolts, then spray a ton of penetrant (my favorite, after trying many, is Sea Foam Deep Creep) in there, between the collector outlet and the exhaust that goes over it. I will let it sit for hours like that, spraying liberally every so often. It's never failed to loosen up those exhausts so that they can be rotated.