How to remove the lenses from light housing. GL1500

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
David Doyle
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

How to remove the lenses from light housing. GL1500

Post by David Doyle »

I converted all of the lights on my GL1500 to LED bulbs and or strips. You are right on how difficult it is to take the lenses off without breaking them.
What I found that really works is to get a pan or container that is big enough for the light and can hold boiling water. Yes bring the water to a full boil pour it into to your pan and put the light housing into the water. Keep them under water for about 10 minutes. Then while the light housing is still under water with a small screwdriver try to pry the lenses off. Be gentle and go slow.
When the housing has been in the water long enough the glue will soften up and will allow the lenses come loose. Yes, you need to take all of the wiring and screws off first and this is how I have done it and it works out great.
Also letting the ABS set in hot for water for a while will rejuvenate the ABS plastic. After the lenses come lose you can let the housing set in the hot water for a while longer. This will soften the glue more and you can clean it off easier. You clean all of the glue off of both parts and brush in the groves of housing (liquid Flex Seal). This makes a thin rubber gasket. This way you can snap the lenses back on or off.
One thing that I found was that the trunk light needs to sit in the boiling water longer than the rest of the lights. The reason for this is that the corners on that light are very easy to break off.
Everything I have just told you is what I have experienced through trial and error.

GoldWinkle :lol:
President of TELGO Golf Club
thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Re: How to remove the lenses from light housing. GL1500

Post by thebruce »

That looks extremely bright. I like it.

Great mod!
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Re: How to remove the lenses from light housing. GL1500

Post by minimac »

Thanks for the instructions. I'll try it again. I quit trying to just pry the lenses off after cracking one.