Install fused power distribution block

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Install fused power distribution block

Post by okie2ee »

I've been needing to add some additional electrical items to my trike and I don't like the idea of hanging wires off the battery posts like what had been done in the past on my bike. So I decided to install a fused power distribution block in the front of the bike and also in the rear upper trunk. This project covers the installation of the power distribution block in the right front lockable pocket. Installation in the trunk will be straight forward compared to the front pocket installation.

I purchased the fused power distribution block on Ebay for $12. I'm not real pleased with the overall electrical quality of the block but it will do for what I have in mind, low power and low current.

The first step is to fabricate a shelf to mount the power distribution block inside the pocket.........

Wooden shelf to fit inside the pocket, shelf has to sit low in the pocket

Wooden shelf to fit inside the pocket, one edge angled to match pocket

Shelf installed inside the pocket

Mounting screws for the shelf, both sides

Power distribution block installed on shelf

Power distribution block installed on shelf

Under side of cover which has to clear the top of the power distribution block cover

Cover installed on the right hand pocket, also I drilled several 1/2" holes top and bottom
for wire entry and exit

To finish, I will install an inline fused power fed from the battery to the power distribution
block, I'm looking at a 20 Amp feed for my current and future needs. I need to add USB power
outlets for my phone and other electronic devices.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Re: Install fused power distribution block

Post by wingdings »

viewtopic.php?t=35958

Have a gander at this little gem Denali PowerHub2 Fuse Block w/wiring harness can bus compatible

Denali PowerHub2 Fuse Block w/wiring harness
The PowerHub2 Power Distribution Module, manufactured by Denali is made in the USA and allows you to safely connect up to 6 electronic devices to your motorcycle in a clean, workmanlike manner.

It's CANbus compatible and includes six 15-amp rated and fused outputs, six ground posts, and a plug-and-play wiring harness for direct battery hookup.

Each of the six outputs can be individually set as "always on" or "switched" on/off with the ignition of the motorcycle.

Instead of attaching multiple ring terminals to your battery, use a PowerHub2! Denali designed the CANbus-safe PowerHub2 to allow simple and easy installation of electrical components. Each unit has six individually fused outputs.

These are not your ordinary outputs. Simply plug the fuse in to the left or the right on the circuit board to make the accessory live all of the time or switched on/off with the bike's ignition. The entire unit is rated for 30 Amps (360 watts).

Each of the six circuits can handle up to 15A (180W) each - without exceeding a total sum of 30 Amps simultaneously.

Features: Replaceable 30 amp Tyco/Bosch micro relay Water-resistant Compact Durable Choice between switched and constant power Specs: Dimensions: L 3" x W 4" x H 1" 6 circuits can handle up to 15A (180W) each CANbus-compatible 60 inch long 10 gauge wiring harness with Posi-lock connector What's in the Box: PowerHub2 fuse block 2 ring terminals Wiring harness for connecting PowerHub2 to battery (includes switched "trigger" wire with Posi-tap connector)

Self-adhesive hook and loop pad for providing a quick-release attachment method for connecting the PowerHub2 to a flat surface
CLICK ON THESE LINKS -

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

:D :D :D :D :D

Its safe pro looking and defo will not muck up your wiring either buy on ebay too !!
Last edited by wingdings on Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
wingdings

Post by wingdings »

okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

Nice looking unit.........but at $130 I wouldn't be into spending that much for a glorified terminal block..........I think I might look at repurposing an auto fuse block from the salvage yard..........or constructing my own distribution block...........thanks for the info
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Nice looking unit. Like the rubber straps and the integrated 12 VDC switched relay. Yes you can do this for less expense; however, if space is at a premium, locating individual items such as the relay and fuse block can be a challenge. This is where these aftermarket units that have the relay, ground and power bus integrated are advantageous.

The main idea here is that you keep your add on items separate from the OEM factory harness reducing/eliminating any issues/conflict when troubleshooting. The OEM wiring harness is designed to use the smallest gauge wires to safely operate the electrical system as it comes from the factory. Using aftermarket units like the one from Twisted Throttle is a prudent thing to use for safety and troubleshooting reasons. Thanks for the write up.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike
1995 Kawasaki gt550 Trike

Post by terryt »

I fitted a similar type to mine but in the battery compartment behind the panel
It was controlled by a relay powered from the auc power on the maim fuse box so not live all the time

I then change it to a split charge system to power every thing that was fitted as an extra spot light marker lights sat nav and usb charge. a small bike battery and all the wiring relay and fuse box in the side pannier

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
184K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
14K Miles

Post by MikeB »

okie2ee wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:00 am Nice looking unit.........but at $130 I wouldn't be into spending that much for a glorified terminal block..........I think I might look at repurposing an auto fuse block from the salvage yard..........or constructing my own distribution block...........thanks for the info
For my money and ease of installtion, I recommend the Buss fuse holder for ATC fuses.
It is economical and easy to install on the battery hold down strap on the right side of the bike under the battery cover.

Your accessories can be installed where you want and then route your supply wires to the fuse panel mounted on the side of the battery. I think this is easier than running supply wires to various remote locations such as the trunk or fairing pocket for redistribution. A central location for your supply, at least in my mind, make more sense.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Hi - Mike there !! - Hope your well there fella too !! - Yes there are cheaper methods of doing this mod have a gander at this vid fella - Their !!

A good book to buy also is - The Essential Guide To Motorcycle Travel Book By Dale Coyner B3712

its packed with tips and stuff too !! .