Install Auxiliary Dashboard Panel

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Install Auxiliary Dashboard Panel

Post by okie2ee »

After much research on this site regarding the addition of auxiliary devices, I decided to go a different route. I fabricated and installed an auxiliary panel for various devices between the handlebars. I wanted something with room enough for more than a couple of devices. What I currently have in mind is a USB charging port, a miscellaneous plug in port, a voltmeter, a temperature meter, a 3.5" display, an LED gear indicator, with room left over for a switch or two. The panel doesn't block the view of the bike's display. The panel is easily removed and gives easy access to all the auxiliary devices.

Finished panel installed on handlebars....................Here's how I did it...........

First thing I did was to sit on the bike and start making a carboard model of the panel. It did not take very
long to arrive at my final design.

Next I cut the pattern out of a piece of sheet metal left over from a removed air conditioner. I used a hand
held disc grinder to cut the pattern. I added the skirts to the pattern to make a skirt all around the panel.

Marking the skirt tabs for bending. I just clamped the metal between two wooden blocks and used a
hammer to bend the tabs over.

This is the finished panel with the skirt tabs all bent into place.

This shows opening in the skirt where the panel face is bent. A small filler piece was fabricated to fill the gap.
Easier said then done, took me over an hour to fab these little pieces.

Another view of panel with bent skirt tabs

Panel placed in position for fit up with the mounting bracket yet to be fabricated.

Fabricated two flat steel brackets to use for mounting the panel. Also fabricated two small bushings to fit behind
the bracket and keep it off the cap for the brake handlebar clamp.

Found this solid rods from an old crib to use as the panel mounting rods.

Welded up all the skirt joints and the gap filler and then welded two 1/4" bolts to the back of the panel. Welding
method used was brazing.

Rods attached to the panel. The rods had to be bent slightly to move them up and out of the
way. I used a piece of coat hanger wire to find the correct angle to bend the rods. This was
done while the panel was in position on the bike with the rods attached.

The rods were placed in position and the brackets were tweaked enough to lie flat with the rods.
The rods were then epoxied to the brackets to save the orientation.

The bracket and epoxied rods were removed and welded and finished off with grinding and shaping.

Finished mounting bracket before painting.

Other bracket before painting.

Finished panel installed.

Overall view of panel from a distance.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the result. Most of the accessories will be powered from the
fused distribution block that I recently installed in the right hand pocket.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Install Auxiliary Dashboard Panel

Post by WingAdmin »

That's pretty sturdy, and it's mounted in a way that it will never break anything accidentally. Good work! How difficult is it to reach the key?
okie2ee
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

You lay your wrist on top of the panel and the hand falls naturally on the key...........not uncomfortable at all...........thanks
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

Hi - Looks - good there !! - Tell me !! - Can you see the warning lights on the first Dash panel ?? - From the pics it looks like you cannot ?? - If that is the case - It sorter defeats the who thing !! - Yes ?? - Not having a go here !! - Just pointing out !! there .

Over in the UK if that was the case it would make it a MOT FAILURE !! TOO !! .. It would be classed as a add on - " That impedes the safety and the operation of the bike in a safe manner " . :o :o :o :o :o
Last edited by wingdings on Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Just a thought here !! - Maybe if it was done in tough thick Perspex - That would over come the vision problem !! ?? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Either way its a good attempt to solve a problem there !! too :D :D :D :D
okie2ee
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

Yes, the warning lights can be seen over top of the panel...........there is still room enough to lower the panel if necessary and the other option would have been to build a totally flat panel.............good point about not being able to pass an inspection, I don't have that problem, no inspections required..........the plexiglass idea is good but not sure it would work thru multiple layers, too distorted.............thanks
wingdings

Post by wingdings »

For every problem there is a solution there fella - if you want to tart it up a bit - watch this vid - its a guy that built his own centre console for the car - However the same principles apply too !! -

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Its - Jon by the way - lol ..Another way is to 3D print it fella - watch this vid -

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
okie2ee
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

Interesting............someday I will try the custom fiber glassing approach.............thanks
Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
1983 GL1100 Interstate (ready to repair)
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

Nice, but I would have just used the knockout on the right (where air pump controls would go).
okie2ee
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

My list of items to install is a power port, USB port, voltage gauge, temperature gauge, transmission gear indicator, a 3.5'" screen display for use with Arduino microcontroller, rocker arm switch for powering the display items off and on, plus a arm attached to the panel for my phone to use as a GPS device while I'm riding, and a switch for additional LED accent lighting...............I didn't use the knock outs for the air compressor since it is not in line of sight while I'm riding...........thanks for your comments
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

okie2ee wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:08 pm My list of items to install is a power port, USB port, voltage gauge, temperature gauge, transmission gear indicator, a 3.5'" screen display for use with Arduino microcontroller, rocker arm switch for powering the display items off and on, plus a arm attached to the panel for my phone to use as a GPS device while I'm riding, and a switch for additional LED accent lighting...............I didn't use the knock outs for the air compressor since it is not in line of sight while I'm riding...........thanks for your comments
Sounds a lot like my Bike PC, although I used an Amtel-based Teensy processor, not an Arduino to build mine:

okie2ee
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

Thanks for the reply and the video link...........I had watched it previously and it was my inspiration to add something similar to my trike........I plan on using the Pro Mini or maybe the Nano...........I really like what you have done, not being a programmer by trade I struggle at best to get things running.........being an electrical engineer, I know just enough to think that I can tackle projects like this.............
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

okie2ee wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:14 pm Thanks for the reply and the video link...........I had watched it previously and it was my inspiration to add something similar to my trike........I plan on using the Pro Mini or maybe the Nano...........I really like what you have done, not being a programmer by trade I struggle at best to get things running.........being an electrical engineer, I know just enough to think that I can tackle projects like this.............
For me the programming was the easy part, it was the electrical design portion that I hadn't worked in much recently. I made a critical error in my original design, and when I breadboarded it, I managed to cook several of the outputs of my processor. It was my own mistake, reading the spec for my LCD incorrectly, specifically the backlight driver.

Properly buffered however, it works great!