How to: Install an OEM spoiler with brake light on your 1500

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1989 1500 Goldwing

How to: Install an OEM spoiler with brake light on your 1500

Post by Quick Cal »

With the help of info provided by DBohrer I was able to install the Honda OEM spoiler with brake light. Here's a link where he posts an attachment in his initial post.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/s ... st-5982062

Here's the parts you will need.

Spoiler. Ebay is your friend here. Make sure it has the first section of wire attached to the light or you will have to buy that also.

Control module: Honda 342110-MT8-771

Sub harness: Honda 32110-MT8-770

Cyclemax CM1036. This is just for reference to get the size of connector.

If someone knows where the control module is mounted on the SE model, please leave a comment.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

DragonRdr
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500I Interstate
2000 GL1500CF Valkyrie Interstate

Re: How to: Install an OEM spoiler with brake light on your 1500

Post by DragonRdr »

Thanks for the video. It'll come in handy if I ever decide to install a spoiler. :)
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

The control unit is mounted at the left rear behind the left saddle bag and under the trunk. Be sure to not try to wire the lights without it since it has both tail lights and brake lights that are the same leds that the control unit drives at different voltage to get the two brightnesses.
FYI, it seems that most if not all Japanese/Chinese bikes use the same wire plugs, I am using some sourced from an old 50cc scooter wiring harness I was able to get.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Quick Cal

Post by Quick Cal »

Swagonmaster wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:46 pm The control unit is mounted at the left rear behind the left saddle bag and under the trunk. Be sure to not try to wire the lights without it since it has both tail lights and brake lights that are the same leds that the control unit drives at different voltage to get the two brightnesses.
FYI, it seems that most if not all Japanese/Chinese bikes use the same wire plugs, I am using some sourced from an old 50cc scooter wiring harness I was able to get.

It's a moot point now as I have everything hooked up and working. But can you tell me EXACTLY where the control module is located. Maybe the next guy will find it useful. Or I might move mine next time I have everything apart.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

It has been a couple of years since I worked on that controler when I put one of the Back Off brake light devices on the bike but it was located about as high and far back as you can get in the left rear. There had to be a bracket for it and it is almost sure that the frames would all be the same but I really don't remember and I didn't take any pictures, perhaps someone else has the left saddlebag off their bike and could take a picture of the area.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
okwing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Post by okwing »

There is another post on here posted by WingAdmin that shows this control unit on an SE. i attached a link below to that post

viewtopic.php?p=134284#p134284
Quick Cal

Post by Quick Cal »

okwing wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:22 pm There is another post on here posted by WingAdmin that shows this control unit on an SE. i attached a link below to that post

viewtopic.php?p=134284#p134284
Thanks for that!! I now remember seeing that pic last year when I first got this spoiler and was researching how to hook it up. Maybe I'll move there someday,,,lol.