How to free stuck pushbutton switches

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
leftyfrazel
Motorcycle: 2009/Silver GL1800 Nav,Comfort/Audio/XM

Re: How to free stuck pushbutton switches

Post by leftyfrazel » Fri May 04, 2012 11:07 am

willyssr wrote:I tried this twice with no avail. My cruise is still stuck in the on position,and my hazard flasher button will not stay in to keep the flashers on. It's almost as if it doesn't catch to hold the switch on. Anybody's thoughts?
I worked on my cousins 1800 with the same problem.. he rode around for two years with his cruise on.. I installed some heated grips for him and noticed his cruise wouldn't turn off. I took the switch assembly apart and found that( after asking him) he would just keep pressing the bejeezers out of the button trying to get it to go off. After the initial dirt gathering beginning of the problem he compounded it by grinding away on the button without checking it out. I took a burnishing tool from my telephone office switch days and cleared away the debris field (really only noticeable with my work magnify glass) tweaked the arm put it back together and it's worked great since... A little extra effort but it fixed his problem.

"what is that, What is this... Who are You"

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Fri May 04, 2012 11:45 pm

The project has started....stopped by "Wally-World" today and they had both the silicone spray and electrical contact cleaner, right next to each other. You shoulda seen the stupid smile I had on my face (since I am totally a non-mechanic, gotta learn some time). ;)

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Post by Dogsled » Sun May 06, 2012 2:37 pm

WA, I see you addressed all the top buttons and switches on the bars, but what about the starter. I haven't torn mine down yet but still have the switch being dirty and not returning to allow the headlights to come on. We did a 20 mile 'on new stone road and the dust was crazy'. My buddies headlights shut down the next day, he was behind me and got the brunt of the airborn gravel dust. He moved from where he was and I haven't been able to hook up with him, he said he tore the switch apart and it was 'crazy' dirty. spray clean and lube fixed it up he said. You never showed what the starter switch looked like (maybe you never cleaned it)
My issue is are these switches failing in the many different ways because the seals that were intended to keep water and dirt out have failed? A clean switch, no matter which one should operate flawlessly if clean and dry for thelife of the bike. If it were able to get to the point where it was sticking because dirt got in, spraying any oil based or product dirt would stick to would increase the time frame it would need to be serviced again.
The old school teen mechanics used to spray carb linkage on a car with oil based lubes (CRC.etc) After a few months they discovered the linkage had every bit of dust that came by gummed up on the linkage. Frome there we went to clean and dry.
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun May 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Dogsled wrote:WA, I see you addressed all the top buttons and switches on the bars, but what about the starter. I haven't torn mine down yet but still have the switch being dirty and not returning to allow the headlights to come on. We did a 20 mile 'on new stone road and the dust was crazy'. My buddies headlights shut down the next day, he was behind me and got the brunt of the airborn gravel dust. He moved from where he was and I haven't been able to hook up with him, he said he tore the switch apart and it was 'crazy' dirty. spray clean and lube fixed it up he said. You never showed what the starter switch looked like (maybe you never cleaned it)
My issue is are these switches failing in the many different ways because the seals that were intended to keep water and dirt out have failed? A clean switch, no matter which one should operate flawlessly if clean and dry for thelife of the bike. If it were able to get to the point where it was sticking because dirt got in, spraying any oil based or product dirt would stick to would increase the time frame it would need to be serviced again.
The old school teen mechanics used to spray carb linkage on a car with oil based lubes (CRC.etc) After a few months they discovered the linkage had every bit of dust that came by gummed up on the linkage. Frome there we went to clean and dry.
That's a good point, and although I don't have a picture of it, when I had the right cluster apart, I did get the straw down in there to the starter switch. You can thread it down past the cruise set button to the starter switch and hose it down. The stuff will run out the front of the starter switch when you do.

I didn't disassemble it at that point (I have done so while I had it apart to replace the lights with LEDs however), but it was thoroughly cleaned out.

Dogsled

Post by Dogsled » Sun May 06, 2012 7:48 pm

Were these switches at any point in there life impervious to liquids in or out. It seems to me if you're able to flood AND clean the switch from the backside it sure as heck isn't waterproof and something to look for while riding in or after a rainstorm. I don't look at my bike as a water trap to cause hazards while i'm riding as much as if I stop somewhere in a storm and the wter is just able to flood the system. So maybe water getting on switches generaly isn't going to cause a problem. BUT evidently wate is able to penetrate the switches. Do you think it may be prudent to drill a hole in the bottom of these switch assemblies to let rain/storm water out.......or maybe some innovative guy could make covers that would prevent water by covering the assembly's............a hat of some sort. When things get older they require extra care....................

Mag

Post by Mag » Sun May 06, 2012 11:36 pm

Continuation of my project, found out that the parts I have are different than my 1988. My 1988, on the left side, had radio AND CB controls, the replacement ones only had radio controls. Hmmm, I did use the electronic contact cleaner, buttons are starten to move appropriately so that is good. Though it does not have the CB controls, I have to make another call. Found a place in TX that may have parts, have new newest OEM relplacements so I am hoping they know something no one else does.

Would be nice for clean new OEM controls. Will let you know.

Dogsled

Post by Dogsled » Sun May 06, 2012 11:54 pm

would be nice for OEM parts and to let us know EVERYTHING a switch comes with?????????????? The question I asked and hopefully you can answer if you get the full OEM switch on any of the functions. How do they keep the dirt and water out???? And if a switch gets clogged with dirt or water problems.....what on the switch let this happen. I would have to look at this and say it wouldn't be the switches failure but the seal, originally built in to keep simple contact switches functional.

So if it is failure of the sealing Honda built in, what are the new routine maintenance of them we should add. even if we want to by-pass routine maintenance we should have a chart of all the issues that could arise to troubleshoot any on road downtime issues.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 07, 2012 9:38 am

There is no seal. If you spray pressurized water at the switches, the water will go inside. Normal rain (which doesn't hit the back side of the switch pods, where the switch openings are) will not get inside.

Modersical
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by Modersical » Mon May 07, 2012 11:42 am

Dogsled wrote:Were these switches at any point in there life impervious to liquids in or out. It seems to me if you're able to flood AND clean the switch from the backside it sure as heck isn't waterproof and something to look for while riding in or after a rainstorm. I don't look at my bike as a water trap to cause hazards while i'm riding as much as if I stop somewhere in a storm and the wter is just able to flood the system. So maybe water getting on switches generaly isn't going to cause a problem. BUT evidently wate is able to penetrate the switches. Do you think it may be prudent to drill a hole in the bottom of these switch assemblies to let rain/storm water out.......or maybe some innovative guy could make covers that would prevent water by covering the assembly's............a hat of some sort. When things get older they require extra care....................
What an interesting concept. If a hole would help the water drain out, as it should, it would also provide a port for more water to enter, under pressure of wind, or washing hose. Maybe two holes would work twice as well, being a self flushing application, plus it would facilitate a periodic maintenance flush . . . "flush through hole #1 with water dispersant or contact cleaner until flow from hole #2 runs clear" . . . Seems like I have seen vent holes on something over the years. ??

Of my 4 Wings that I have ridden over the past 36 years ('76, '84, '89, & '06), I have not had sticky switch problems with any but the last one. The last two both had CB's, all we're garaged when not being used, and all were ridden through a lot of rain, except less rain for the newest, since it is not my primary means of transportation. Yet the '06 is the only one that has had contact problems . . . And most were on the left . . . The PTT lever, squelch, CB Vol, & sound system vol. Actually, I guess none have ever stuck . . . They just didn't make contact, and my frustrated machine gun rapid firing of the switches have always seemed to clear the problem. I guess they must need a good flush!

Is there enough info here for some brave soul to get his/her drill out and begin a practical research project?!?

Modersical

Post by Modersical » Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 pm

I suspect, that is I would render a good guess, that the switches are not water tight, are constructed to allow draining and drying of any water that WILL find its way into the switches eventually, but tight enough to keep most dust out, except for really fine stuff, and larger if it is an older, worn, looser switch. The contacts and push button material is probably not affected by any water, but dust can foul the contact surface, and cause wear and grit to hamper push button action.

Honda would probably not ever give any flushing reccomendation, which seems to be a really good notion, but I am sure they would be happy to sell you some new switches to replace those worn and dysfunctional switches!

clydeturre
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda GL1500A

Post by clydeturre » Mon May 07, 2012 5:56 pm

I used the wd-40 on switches that have not worked for years. Everything now works.
WD-40 is cheaper than switches. Might try another product if they act up again but, for now,
I am very content

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon May 07, 2012 10:20 pm

The switches I bought were a little grundgy inside. There was some dirt and stuff but I was able to get most of that gunk out. So....updates...
- The Texas dealership, though had the parts available on their database, had to contact Honda, and found not available. DAMN!
- There was no gasket or anything else to stop water from getting in, but I also think, like what others said, not a lot of water would get in anyway.
- I now have to order a new left switch....part HM-27QB-T - came right up in Ebay. Go fig.

I may have extra parts for sale if anyone needs it.

(Gonna make this the most popular thread yet, lol).

I miss riding.....it was 80 today, and in the Northwest, perfect riding weather in May. UGH!!!!!!

mikerom1
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by mikerom1 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:28 am

Your pictures are great and this worked perfectly for me. Easy and it worked. Thanks.

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Post by twostrokes48 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:31 pm

just got around to doing my switches, including the stickey emerg. flasher switch...all work perfectly now....used wd40 for now as that is what I had. First chance I get will get some silicone spray and redo them with that....but glad they are all working again.

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed May 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Good, hope for me yet, I have the silicone, continuing working on them this weekend, need to move the radio/cb switch over to the new(er) left control switch.

Feel like Dr Frankentsein and building my "monster", lol. :lol:

My wife said....does not matter how it looks, as long as it rolls, that is what really matters (gotta love that woman!)

Mag

Post by Mag » Sun May 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Ok, onward project.....something I learned....be careful removing switches if you put OEM grips on your bike. I could not figure out why the switch would not come off....the glue used for the grips connected to the switch itself. Took me an hour just to figure out what the cause was and rule out everything else. So, now that I have the old switch off, I just need to follow the wires to all the connections. YEHAA!

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Post by twostrokes48 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Looks like the wd40 fixed another problem I had with the switch on the Sun roof on my old 77 benz 300D. But no luck so far with the rear window. One more little problem fixed. Good, since I am putting the Benz on craigs list as soon as I take some decent pics. On driver, 4 autos, 3 bikes, something has to go, Registration, safety stickers and insurance is killing me.

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Post by twostrokes48 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:19 pm

That last post should say "one driver" not on driver. Someday, I'll learn to check before hitting the "submit" button.

Modersical

Post by Modersical » Sun May 13, 2012 9:16 pm

twostrokes48 wrote:Looks like the wd40 fixed another problem I had with the switch on the Sun roof on my old 77 benz 300D. But no luck so far with the rear window. One more little problem fixed. Good, since I am putting the Benz on craigs list as soon as I take some decent pics. On driver, 4 autos, 3 bikes, something has to go, Registration, safety stickers and insurance is killing me.
All those extras add up! Here in AR we don't have to do the safety inspection anymore (but they will sure gig you if stopped and those things are not in order), but we have personal property tax that is added on too! Nice to see that the 4 wheeler gets sacrificed, instead of a two-wheeler! :D

twostrokes48
75 GL1000 (restoring)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Post by twostrokes48 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Yea, don't need the car, bought it when I was going in with some guys to make a biodiesel co-op when fuel shot up a few years ago. Everyone eventually bailed out saying took too much time, or found out everything requires work. So this has just been an extra car that I only drive when calculating the increased milage against the increased price for diesel. When it was cheaper, I would drive it when not, parked it. When I bought the Kia Rio about 6 months ago, really no need to play the game, as it is always cheaper to drive the Kia.
Unfortunately one of the bikes is gonna go too. Can't justify 2 goldwings, so the 1200 is going too. Had it sold (I thought), but they guys wife and my wife got into an arguement and has has bailed on our deal. I have given him 6 months to reconsider but havn't heard from him again, so gonna also put it on craigs list soon. With inflation eating my retirement so fast, gotta cut some costs somewhere and extra cars and bikes is a good place to start. But, getting back on topic, this thread has helped me clear some problems on both bike and car so it is a great threat with the right timing for me anyway. Took the 1200 out yesterday for some exercise and to make sure everything is working properly before putting it on the market. Nobody likes surprises.

donnewald
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE Lehman trike

Post by donnewald » Fri May 18, 2012 7:13 pm

My mute and emergency flasher switches were sticking ('96 GL1500 SE w/ 2004 Lehman GSL trike conversion). I saw this post and headed for my contact cleaner (CRC Electrical Grade QD). Within 2 minutes both switches were freed up. I went the extra mile and sprayed the starter switch and horn switch. Thanks for the info!

Mag

Post by Mag » Sun May 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Well, now I have pieces of goldwing all over my garage bay....and I am now stuck.

What I am doing - replacing handlebar controls left side

What I have done -
- left the CB/Radio controls wired, fixed to the replaced turn signal switch.
- took off all fairing components except for upper front fairing.

I am stuck....I see where the wiring harness goes around the handlebar and down the steering column...I lose sight of where the harness goes, when it goes down the column.

Should I take off the front top fairing (under the windshield) and basically have no fairing on the bike at all? If I do that, then I have more dismantling to do.

Thx, I have one more day to get it done, surprised the fairing came off as easy as it did, I have some major cleaning to do on this ride.

Thx mucho!

Mag

javajoe
Motorcycle: 1992 GOLDWING CANADIAN EDITION

Post by javajoe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:02 pm

So then what could be the problem if the mute button is fine and the sound system is still on mute. I have volume on the volume switch but that is all. Might the mute switch need to be replaced? Can it be bypassed. to test?

morningwing
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
Black Pearl
2002 VTX1800R Illusion Blue (sold)

Post by morningwing » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:18 pm

I love useless trivia. And I knew this one about WD-40, but thanks for sharing it with everyone else.
By the way, where did the word 'trivia' originate? Tri- via. Its a place where three (tri) roads (via) intersected and people gathered to talk about useless things, like trivia.
djlundwall wrote:Great article!

BTW, did you know that WD40 got its name by having gone through 40 iterations of formulas until they (the makers of WD40) settled on the current formula? Thus, WD40 really stands for "Water Displacement using the 40th formula"

I know, useless trivia :D
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might... Eccl. 9: 10

Redeemed Riders
Christian Motorcyclists Association
Patriot Guard Riders
USMC '71-'75 Semper Fi

MaconWing
Motorcycle: '04 GL1800A Titanium

Post by MaconWing » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:22 am

You can get a replacement switch for the driving lights at Cyclemax - $36 Took me about an hour to change.

Last edited by MaconWing on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.