Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
wingsailor
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A
1988 GL1500
2005 GL1800

Re: How to free stuck pushbutton switches

Post by wingsailor » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:42 am

Heat from a hair dryer might help on a really stubborn switch.

coolhandsbob
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager Conversion Kit

Post by coolhandsbob » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:49 pm

Just took the plunge retired my 83 and bought a 2000 with sticky switch's and after reading this post and about 5 minutes per switch everything is working like new well almost . This is a great web site . I will definately be using it when the need arises . Thanks

coolhandsbob
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager Conversion Kit

Post by coolhandsbob » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi All Just got back from WalMart Canada found a new Lub called JIG-A-LOO looks like agreat product as it contains no OIL or Grease and is Water Repellant . Did all my switches freed them up and now working like they should .

WvChamp
Motorcycle: 08 Honda XR650L
96 Honda GL1500SE

Post by WvChamp » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Howdy fellow Wing riders,
First time poster and first time Wing owner. Just wanted to take a second to say Hey.

On the sticking switches topic:
I just came in from freeing my sticking switches. Thanks for the information WingAdmin. Worked like a charm.

On a little bit different note...the "set cruise" switch doesn't set:
My "Set Cruise" switch wasn't stuck...but sometimes wouldn't set. I said to myself....Self...what would keep it from setting.
What cancels the cruise. Brakes. So I held up on the foot brake and held out on the front brake. Again...sometimes it would set...sometimes it wouldn't. The times it would set, it would kick off now and then. I thought what else enables or cancels the
cruise. Clutch switch. I held out on the clutch handle and WaaLaa. The cruise would set everytime and stay set as long as I held
out on the clutch lever. There is a tiny black micro switch on the clutch lever that triggers the cruise. (problably other things too)
Be it the wind, vibration or whatever. That little tiny micro switch (if triggered) won't let the cruise set.
Atleast on my new to me 96 GL1500se.
Hope this helps out atleast one person on this great website.
Keep your feet on the pegs and the rubber side down.
WvChamp

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:52 am

WvChamp wrote:On a little bit different note...the "set cruise" switch doesn't set:
My "Set Cruise" switch wasn't stuck...but sometimes wouldn't set. I said to myself....Self...what would keep it from setting.
What cancels the cruise. Brakes. So I held up on the foot brake and held out on the front brake. Again...sometimes it would set...sometimes it wouldn't. The times it would set, it would kick off now and then. I thought what else enables or cancels the
cruise. Clutch switch. I held out on the clutch handle and WaaLaa. The cruise would set everytime and stay set as long as I held
out on the clutch lever. There is a tiny black micro switch on the clutch lever that triggers the cruise. (problably other things too)
Be it the wind, vibration or whatever. That little tiny micro switch (if triggered) won't let the cruise set.
Atleast on my new to me 96 GL1500se.
Hope this helps out atleast one person on this great website.
That's a common problem. You may want to check out your clutch lever bushing: How to replace your clutch lever bushing When it starts to wear, it can give enough free play to the clutch lever that you can experience exactly the problem you were having with your clutch cruise disconnect switch. Another symptom is having the cruise disconnect randomly while riding.

I just had to pull apart and clean out my cruise "Resume/Accelerate" switch last night. It was only working intermittently, I would have to press it quite a few times before it would work. I opened it up and sprayed the contacts with CRC contact cleaner. Doing so removed all the grease from the mechanism, so I re-greased the mechanism (not the contacts!) with some lithium grease, and put it all back together. It now works like new again.

Having these switches sitting out in the open means that cleaning them is just a part of regular maintenance that we have to live with. It would have been nice if Honda had sealed all the switchgear...

WvChamp
Motorcycle: 08 Honda XR650L
96 Honda GL1500SE

Post by WvChamp » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks again WingAdmin,
Wish I wouldn't have skipped over your post about "How to replace your clutch lever bushing". It would have saved me some
typing. lol
Would you happen to have any specs (ID & OD) of the bushing ? I work at a Starter/Alternator rebuild shop and have bushings gallore. I could take it apart myself and measure. Just thought perhaps you might know.
Thanks again,
WvChamp.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:59 pm

WvChamp wrote:Thanks again WingAdmin,
Wish I wouldn't have skipped over your post about "How to replace your clutch lever bushing". It would have saved me some
typing. lol
Would you happen to have any specs (ID & OD) of the bushing ? I work at a Starter/Alternator rebuild shop and have bushings gallore. I could take it apart myself and measure. Just thought perhaps you might know.
Thanks again,
WvChamp.
I don't, but it's not that kind of bushing. It's a brass cylinder, with a hole bored in the side of it, and the bottom of the hole is rounded. The clutch piston pin fits into that hole. New from Mother Honda for $8, probably not worth your time building one to spec! :)

bayoudave
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Motortrike

Post by bayoudave » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:39 am

I too have had trouble with the switches for the hazard and fog lights on my 02 1800. I looked into replacement with a cost of over 200 since you have to replace the whole thing. Found this yesterday so I am going to give it a shot for less than 10.
http://www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/anytime4ways.html
2002 Goldwing Motortrike Spider
2007 PiggyBacker Trailer
2009 Time Out Deluxe Camper
2006 Arctic Fox Toy Hauler

CMA
PGR

neilisok
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 Goldwing Se

Post by neilisok » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 pm

I was able to get my mute switch to move after using the contact cleaner. Sadly it did not fix my low volume problem. The button works but the volume has not gone back to normal.
Any suggestions other then buying a new module? I have a 2000 1500 SE
Thanks,Neil

furnacedoc
Motorcycle: 1981 suzuki GS850
1997 1500SE gold wing

Post by furnacedoc » Mon May 27, 2013 11:02 am

when I start the bike my headlight doesn't always come back on unless I flick the switch a couple of times, I opened the assembly up and it appears like the start switch is sealed not open contacts any suggestions, and how do I remove the throttle cables so I can remove the switch assembly?

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Post by Dogsled » Mon May 27, 2013 11:55 am

furnacedoc wrote:when I start the bike my headlight doesn't always come back on unless I flick the switch a couple of times, I opened the assembly up and it appears like the start switch is sealed not open contacts any suggestions, and how do I remove the throttle cables so I can remove the switch assembly?
we talked about this before and evidently these switches 'aren't' sealed....On that sticking starter switch I've been succesful just holding a rag under it and spraying externally inward with WD40 a bit and it seems to last.....If you're doing it in the daytime, you can't really tell if they're on without looking. Just for a saftey factor i've gotten into the habit of starting the bike while not on it and doing a walk around to make sure the lights are on. Got to give it a minute to warm up a bit anyway.
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Use contact cleaner, not WD-40 to clean switch contacts. You can get to it without removing throttle cables - see the procedure used in How to replace your handlebar control lights with LEDs

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Post by Dogsled » Tue May 28, 2013 3:16 pm

do what he said....contact cleaner......I used what I had and it really doesn't last.....prolly collect road dust......ahhhhhhhthe choices we gotta make.....so what does contact cleaner do, clean but leave the surface lubed....prolly the best thing. Clean and dry will work all the time.
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:45 pm

It's been over a year now since I ranted about my stuck switches/buttons. Well the good news is that with loving care, WD40 and similar they are all functioning fine now. When I wash the bike (NEVER with a pressure sprayer!) I simply drape a towel over the instruments and it drapes over the buttons on the handlebars. Once finished washing, I simply 'exercise' all the buttons to hopefully purge any moisture and any accumulated debris/dust away. A short ride to dry the bike off helps to blow/dry out moisture in all the crooks and crannies too.

If I get rained on, the same thing...'exercise' the buttons when dry.

I did take apart one switch and it was amazing how fragile they are inside so be gentle with them when you 'exercise' them!

I worry if I ever bought a newer Wing...it is loaded with buttons, it would take me a whole day to 'exercise' all those buttons! I'll have to hire a kid to do that for me! HAHA!

1flatlander
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade, CB900C

Post by 1flatlander » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:07 am

If you're going to use contact cleaner, be careful. Some of them will react with the plastic, causing discoloration. Test in an obscure area before getting down to business.

medicineman
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A

Post by medicineman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Good info. My flashers stuck on this morning; 15 minutes after getting home from work, the switch is working like new after following the advice here. Cars were pulling over for me so maybe I'll run them every morning. Thanks.

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Pull-behind trailer (my design)
1978 CB400T (Hawk II)
2017 Zero DS
2017 Tesla S P100D

Post by GoldWingRev » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:43 am

As always, wonderfully informative.
Dumb question--will this work for the opposite? My channel up and down for both the radio and CB don't work--I'm unable to change the stations. The mute and TX buttons works, so I know they're attached.
And sometimes the cruise is iffy. Was going to disassemble (and swap out for lighted controls) before I read this forum.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins) 🐉

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:50 pm

I had issues with the channel changer on my 1500 (it is a rocker type of control....up and down).....bugger works like magic now ;)

grizzlybear1943
Motorcycle: 1993 honda goldwing gl1500

Post by grizzlybear1943 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:32 pm

read your article and saw the pics ref to free pushbutton switches. what do you think of spraying rubbing alcohol in the pushbuttons. let me know
Thanks Ben

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:27 pm

grizzlybear1943 wrote:read your article and saw the pics ref to free pushbutton switches. what do you think of spraying rubbing alcohol in the pushbuttons. let me know
Thanks Ben
Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol will not affect ABS, which is what the enclosure is made of. I have no idea what type of plastic the interior switch pieces are made of, or if they would be affected. Personally, I use CRC Plastic Safe Contact Cleaner, and it does a perfect job. You can get it at Amazon or at your local NAPA store:

CRC QD Plastic Safe Liquid Contact Cleaner, 11 oz Aerosol Can, Clear

Johnrmont
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE White Pearl

Post by Johnrmont » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:47 pm

I have used most of the methods mentioned here as I just got back into "Winging" after being absent for 12 years. I just bought a 1996 GL1500SE and virtually every switch it was "frozen up". After repeated attempts with CRC, WD40 and finally silicone spray, I have had the best results with blowing each switch both from outside and inside the switch with 125 psi of air from my compressor then re-spraying with silicone and am having the best results .... Hopefully the cure will last a long time. ;)
Previous Wings:
1975 GL1000
1976 GL1000
1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 LTD

doctony
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by doctony » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:02 pm

I have to go with QD electronic cleaner over WD40. Why? WD 40 can and in fact has done the job, granted, but it tends to leave an internal residue that can attract dirt and gunk and the problem is that the dirt and gunk can, over time, make "unsticking" the switch [cruise control switch, reverse switch, etc.] a real chore whereas QD cleans and lubricates. One tip --- DO use the long plastic straw [for want of a better word] that comes taped to the can [or dig up a substitute from an old computer duster can] because without it you're probably getting 90% or better of the cleaner and lubricant on the surface and plastic sides of the switch which is rather useless versus the ==innards== of the switch and those tiny springs. So too, do a sort of north/south/east/west blast of the lubricant and then like a veritable machine gun start working the switch or button furiously with your hand and very often it will pop out [** the literature suggests that the switches for cruise control and reverse most often stick in the IN position versus the out position] -- the visible white horizontal line on the switch tells you where the switch is [in or out] with the white line showing being in the out or off position.

Anyway, work the switch feverishly [which also helps to dislodge any inner gunk you can't see that is most likely causing it to stick to begin with!] after you apply the cleaner/lubricant and generally it will do the job. Repeat the process if the switch or button is really sticking and refuses to give up the ghost. CAUTION! ==DO NOT== bang on the switch even out of sheer frustration! You then risk breaking the innards of the switch and all the cleaner/lubricant in the world won't help you then! Sometimes patience can solve the problem and can save you taking the switch/button apart which can be a drag! Been there, done that. SIDEBAR: I remain absolutely convinced that the reason why some folks put off checking their LEFT side coolant level and their RIGHT side oil level on Goldwings is those chrome plastic sided covers which can be a royal pain in the rump to not just get off [without damaging them!] put to 'properly' put them back on! And check the prices for them if you want to cringe --- I've seen them for as much as $185 EACH [!] and this is for chromed plastic! Whew! BTW, if anyone knows the "great secret" of getting those left and right side covers both ON and OFF with minimal hassle, and not to mention the potential for cracking them, please let me know! --- Doc Tony

stinkysock
Motorcycle: 1994 GL 1500 SE

Post by stinkysock » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:52 pm

The external spraying method works (according to all the reports here). What I have done (on my hazard switch) was to remove it, gently pry up the tabs holding it together, and remove the "grease" that dries out & turns hard nearly like beeswax. I filled the little trough that the push-on, push off actuator rod runs in with silicone grease. When reassembled, it should be water/dust proof & last forever!

Guard against small stuff coming out at high speed & going into orbit or roosting in some place you will never find !!!

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Post by CWJ73 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks for this DIY. My new to me 1500's hazard button is super sticky, the Radio station and CB channel switch don't work and the Cruise control won't turn on. Now that I have run though this DIY all the switches and buttons are working like new and it took next to no time at all to complete.
Craig

jjvandel
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500 aspencade

Post by jjvandel » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:40 am

willyssr wrote:I tried this twice with no avail. My cruise is still stuck in the on position,and my hazard flasher button will not stay in to keep the flashers on. It's almost as if it doesn't catch to hold the switch on. Anybody's thoughts?
I had the same problem where the hazard button stuck in when I pushed it on and couldn't get the button to come out. I had to take the switch apart because I couldn't spray any cleaner inside of it. You must be careful taking it apart so you don't loose the tiny parts (springs & contacts) inside the switch.
I called the Honda Shop and they said they don't make the switch and I would have to check the junk yards for the part or disable the hazard switch.
I got mine back together and it is working fine.
See pictures: I didn't figure out how to add pictures at this time.