How to replace your cornering light bulbs

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
PalmerAK
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE

Re: How to replace your cornering light bulbs

Post by PalmerAK » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Tried to do this mod on my '94 SE today and when I got it apart I found that I had the big, weird 25/25W bulbs and plastic sockets. Also only a red and green wire coming from them. Has someone modified the bike or am I missing something? I really wanted to do the LED conversion, I ordered and received the LED's from superbrightleds.com, and was ready to do it. I thought the big bulbs and plastic sockets were on '98 and later 1500's, that came from the factory with driving lights as opposed to cornering lights. Is it possible to convert what I have to LED driving lights? Can I use the LED's that I have from superbrightled's, or did I just bite the big one when I bought the LED's? HELP!!!!!!! Also, I am missing one of the rectangular screw covers mentioned in the article, mine is white, if anyone has one, I'd gladly buy it.

rmet
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda goldwing 1500se/trike (champion kit)

Post by rmet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:15 pm

Go farther down in the gl1500 DIY articles , you will find How to replace your cormering light bulbs Part 2 - by the grand poo baa

rongoos
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by rongoos » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks Wingman,
I have a GL1500 for a few months now, and i really would like to know my bike.
My cornering lights did not work and thanks to this great how to I had enough confidece to do it myself.

Thanks a lot

Greetings from Haarlem, Holland

lejonlv
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda GL 1500 Interstate

Post by lejonlv » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:43 pm

I worked on this mod for my 1993 1500 interstate. I found that I have the white platic sockets and hadn't seen the update on taking the old bulb apart so I made some keys out of washers with a 1/2 id. Ground them down and they gave me the thickness needed. I tested them off the battery and they light up just fine. I then connected them and nothing. I tested the connector and find that I am only getting 10.4 volts, battery was at 12.3. I thought it was becasue the bike was not running so I cranked it up and tried and still nothing.

I'm thinkg that either there is something loading the original signal from the battery or just old wiring.

One thing that came to mind is to test by r unning a wire straight from the battery to the connector and as long as the light is turned on/off by breaking the ground that should work.

Has anyone seen or experienced this? any suggestions?

Thanks
:?:
Lejon

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:04 pm

lejonlv wrote:I worked on this mod for my 1993 1500 interstate. I found that I have the white platic sockets and hadn't seen the update on taking the old bulb apart so I made some keys out of washers with a 1/2 id. Ground them down and they gave me the thickness needed. I tested them off the battery and they light up just fine. I then connected them and nothing. I tested the connector and find that I am only getting 10.4 volts, battery was at 12.3. I thought it was becasue the bike was not running so I cranked it up and tried and still nothing.

I'm thinking that either there is something loading the original signal from the battery or just old wiring.

One thing that came to mind is to test by r unning a wire straight from the battery to the connector and as long as the light is turned on/off by breaking the ground that should work.

Has anyone seen or experienced this? any suggestions?
You definitely should be seeing much more than 10.4 volts, as you see. Instead of running replacement wiring, you might want to just trace back to see where the low voltage starts. Look at the circuit below, and you can see that the power starts at fuse 8, then travels to the cornering relays. Check the brown/white wires at the relays and see if there is 12.3 volts there or 10.4. If there is 12.4 on the brown/white wire and 10.3 on the red/yellow wire, then the relay is the cause of the voltage drop.

Here's a thought: Are you trying to run the lights on the power from the green wire coming from the relay? The one that you cut in order to get the relay to stay on permanently? If so, you're pulling the voltage through the relay coil, which will definitely drop a couple of volts. That's wrong - that green wire should be cut and left cut, not connected to anything. The light should be connected between the red/blue wire coming from the relay, and the green wire that runs to ground (not the green wire that goes to the relay).

Cornering Light Circuit
Cornering Light Circuit

lejonlv

Post by lejonlv » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks I didn't do the "constant on" mod so I didn't cut a the green wire. That I recall I only had two wires going to the light fixture. I've printed out the diagram and will check it out tonight.

If the relays are causing the drop then the mod to cut the green wire will take them out of the circuit and hence no need to replace?

Again Thanks

Lejon

lejonlv

Post by lejonlv » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:45 am

Seems like I've opened a can of worms.

Except for the connector that has the green wire and red/yellow wire going into a wrapped line that then seems to disappear behind the tank. The relay block by the fuse block looks like I would need to take the bags off to get to it. It also looks like the wiring in on the inside so there would be some disasembly to get to that also.

It also looked like the wiring was reversed and since it was a std bulb it didn't matter. Tried reversing the leads but still no light.

Bottom line is I'm not sure which wire to cut or where it is.

Again thanks for your help.

Lejon
Attachments

I think this is where the relays are.
I think this is where the relays are.

This is the housing with the LED installed, mine didn't have a boot so I put some Goop in to seal it
This is the housing with the LED installed, mine didn't have a boot so I put some Goop in to seal it

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:31 am

lejonlv wrote:Except for the connector that has the green wire and red/yellow wire going into a wrapped line that then seems to disappear behind the tank. The relay block by the fuse block looks like I would need to take the bags off to get to it. It also looks like the wiring in on the inside so there would be some disasembly to get to that also.

It also looked like the wiring was reversed and since it was a std bulb it didn't matter. Tried reversing the leads but still no light.

Bottom line is I'm not sure which wire to cut or where it is.
The relay block that you have a picture of is your main relay block, and yes, you need to get the left bag off to get to some of them. To the left of it is your fuse block. But that's not the relays we're talking about. The cornering relays are mounted on the frame fairly close (above) the cornering lights.

The green and red/yellow wires that WERE connected to the old lights - where do they go now? And do your lights turn on only when your turn signals are on?

lejonlv

Post by lejonlv » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:06 pm

There is a quick connector that they plug into (which is wrapped it a black tape) goes up into the body of the fairing then along side the tank.

There are these black blocks that are attached to the forks above the cornering lights but the wiring is enclosed and can't tell color. Will take a closer look this evening and try and get some pictures.

Lejon

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm wondering now which year they deleted those cornering relays. Did your lights turn on only when your turn signals are on, or were they on all the time?

lejonlv

Post by lejonlv » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:23 pm

they turn on only when the turn signal is on, but they are on constantly during that time (they don't flash). What I did see is the volatage to the connector flashes between 10.2X and 10.4X vdc while the turn signal is on.

Lejon

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:18 pm

lejonlv wrote:they turn on only when the turn signal is on, but they are on constantly during that time (they don't flash). What I did see is the volatage to the connector flashes between 10.2X and 10.4X vdc while the turn signal is on.

Lejon
Do you want them to be on all the time?

lejonlv

Post by lejonlv » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:52 am

Wasn't going for that mod initially, however at this point which ever way will work as long as I can avoid taking much more off the bike.

Lejon

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:46 am

OK, at this point then you have two options:

- Trace the wiring back from each of the lights and find the point (likely a connector) where the voltage drops from the 12.x volts to 10.x volts

- Run a new, switched wire to power the lights.

lejonlv

Post by lejonlv » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:02 pm

I am thinking about running a new line since the existing one disappears into the frame. Is it correct that the system has constant power applied and is turned on / off by breaking the ground connection? If so I just have to figure which wire to connect to the light so that it still comes on when turning and then connect the other to a fused 12v line.

I'll try this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Lejon

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:08 pm

lejonlv wrote:I am thinking about running a new line since the existing one disappears into the frame. Is it correct that the system has constant power applied and is turned on / off by breaking the ground connection? If so I just have to figure which wire to connect to the light so that it still comes on when turning and then connect the other to a fused 12v line.

I'll try this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Lejon
No, if you look at the circuit diagram posted above, you can see the relay switches the +12V going to the bulb, and ground is connected at all time.

lejonlv

Post by lejonlv » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks I looked at it then did some testing with the multi-meter. Well I went back to the fuse box and checked and I am getting 10.4 volts there also.

I decided to connect the lights so that they are on all of the time. voltage at fuse box was also 10.4 so I tapped directly from the battery through a fuse, switch and to the lights. I replaced a switch on the hard cover panel on the right glove box that was not connected to anything with a a lighted switch.

Now I can turn the lights off during the day. Just have to remember to turn them off or else dead battery here I come. I will eventually find out why the system is dropping down to 10.4 volts and fix it then connect the line to the switch box so that it turns off when bike is off.

Thanks for all of your help.

Lejon :) :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 am

lejonlv wrote:Thanks I looked at it then did some testing with the multi-meter. Well I went back to the fuse box and checked and I am getting 10.4 volts there also.

I decided to connect the lights so that they are on all of the time. voltage at fuse box was also 10.4 so I tapped directly from the battery through a fuse, switch and to the lights. I replaced a switch on the hard cover panel on the right glove box that was not connected to anything with a a lighted switch.

Now I can turn the lights off during the day. Just have to remember to turn them off or else dead battery here I come. I will eventually find out why the system is dropping down to 10.4 volts and fix it then connect the line to the switch box so that it turns off when bike is off.

Thanks for all of your help.

Lejon :) :)
There will be other things than just the cornering lights running off that fuse (fuse 8) - tail light, position lights, dash lights, turn signals, fuel gauge, temperature gauge, to name a few. All of which will be affected by low voltage. Measure on both sides of that fuse and see if you have 12 volts on one side and 10.4 on the other - if so, then the fuse is the cause of your voltage drop.

jpkotas
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by jpkotas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Great artical,thank you.Question.looked up the H3-xHp9 on Superbrightleds.com,right under the picture of the bulb it said IMPORTANT NOTES please read 1,non-waterproof, indoor use only unless contained within weatherproof housing or used in conjuction with weatherproofing products. that area where these bulbs are being used gets a lot of water and road dirt. please comment.
jpkotas

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Post by Fatwing Chris » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:57 pm

jpkotas wrote:Great artical,thank you.Question.looked up the H3-xHp9 on Superbrightleds.com,right under the picture of the bulb it said IMPORTANT NOTES please read 1,non-waterproof, indoor use only unless contained within weatherproof housing or used in conjuction with weatherproofing products. that area where these bulbs are being used gets a lot of water and road dirt. please comment.
jpkotas
That is a weatherproof housing if the rubber boot is properly installed over the socket.If not the stock bulbs probably wouldn't last past the first good ride in the rain.

I ran this mod all one summer with the stock bulbs in with no problem,but then I read about the relay problem.Just wired it back to factory for now,but will look into ordering a set of LED's to do the mod again.

FYI if you look at the connector at the relays by the cornering lights unplugged from the relay you can see what locks the terminal(green wire that you cut) into the connector.Use a nice thin pick and you can pry the locking tab back and pull the terminal out of the connector.Then just tape the terminal back onto the wiring harness.If you want to undo the mod for whatever reason just push the terminal back into the connector and you're back to a factory wiring without adding any inline connectors to try and weatherproof..You will probably have to bend the locking tab out a bit(be careful,don't snap it right off)before you push it in.

BTW Good how to article and picts Wingadmin
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Dwight_n_Sue
Motorcycle: '96 GoldWing GL1500 SE w\ 2004 Lehman GTL Trike conversion

Post by Dwight_n_Sue » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks to WingAdmin for sourcing the lamps and providing detailed instructions to access the sockets and to The Grand Pooh-Bah for providing a mounting solution for my particular bulb socket. The first attempt took about an hour realizing any mistake would mean sourcing another socket and bulb at Honda's site for more than I'd care to spend. The second took less than 15 minutes.

Dwight_n_Sue
Motorcycle: '96 GoldWing GL1500 SE w\ 2004 Lehman GTL Trike conversion

Post by Dwight_n_Sue » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:08 pm

PalmerAK:

The rectangular screw covers are available at CycleMax online for about $45 each including shipping. I just ordered a white one from them last week. You need to specify right or left. They have several assembly drawing breakdowns available at their site and finding what you need is easy.

nateshropshire
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Goldwing GL 1500 Interstate

Post by nateshropshire » Mon May 13, 2013 10:14 am

This was a great tutorial and only took me a couple of hours to get mine replaced. Thanks for all of the great photos and info on where to order the parts.

pilot1950
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by pilot1950 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Great tutorial. New member hear but I've been reading here for quite a while. I did this mod on my 99 Aspy last week. I had the newer style lights / sockets but followed the instructions. The lights work fine. Now, I have strange behavior in the turn signals. When the bike is stationary, key on but not running, the turn signals and flashers work fine. After starting the bike, they work fine until I start to roll. Then they won't come on at all. If I stop, turn off the key and turn back on (no start), they again work fine. Start again, they work fine. Start to roll, don't work. (Don't work means they don't come on or flash) This seems to repeat as many times as I go through this process. Wondering if this is related to the speed sensor circuit and / or timing circuit in the flashing system? I'm wondering if this is maybe some type of a hybrid / transition model that was initially intended to have the lights only on when cornering and, thus, effecting the turn signals somehow??? Any ideas? On the left side harness, there seems to be a jumper that is installed in the harness just above the plugs for the cornering lights. Is this on all of them? Could probably take a pic if it would help. I'm just grasping at straws here.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:21 am

pilot1950 wrote:Great tutorial. New member hear but I've been reading here for quite a while. I did this mod on my 99 Aspy last week. I had the newer style lights / sockets but followed the instructions. The lights work fine. Now, I have strange behavior in the turn signals. When the bike is stationary, key on but not running, the turn signals and flashers work fine. After starting the bike, they work fine until I start to roll. Then they won't come on at all. If I stop, turn off the key and turn back on (no start), they again work fine. Start again, they work fine. Start to roll, don't work. (Don't work means they don't come on or flash) This seems to repeat as many times as I go through this process. Wondering if this is related to the speed sensor circuit and / or timing circuit in the flashing system? I'm wondering if this is maybe some type of a hybrid / transition model that was initially intended to have the lights only on when cornering and, thus, effecting the turn signals somehow??? Any ideas? On the left side harness, there seems to be a jumper that is installed in the harness just above the plugs for the cornering lights. Is this on all of them? Could probably take a pic if it would help. I'm just grasping at straws here.
That sounds more like something to do with the turn cancelling circuit - it's the only common piece between the speed sensor and the turn signals.

The jumpers installed on the relays are to keep your cornering lights on all of the time, instead of just when you're turning.